• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Removal of Dr. Mario

zombie7775

Smash Lord
1.) ganon is not a clone of Fox......I have seen several people saying that.
2.)Instead of removing the clone, they should make it a costume.
First Who said ganondorf was a clone of Fox? I saw Falcon but not Fox.

Second They cant make all of them costumes because Roy has opposite stats of Marth so that wouldnt work.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I would but Im too lazy to fight for him to be in. I will play the game either way. I dont even have Roy's game (seeming its Japan only) so its not a big deal to me. The only reason I went with Roy is Dweller told me to.
You had a choice, but I could help you more if you were a character I was familiar with anyway Roy is not Marth so his moveset could be edited Doc is Mario so he should be gone and Y. Link with him.

He wants them to have the same stats they have as a separate character when they are used as a costume which would make them act the same way as if they were separate to begin with.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
First Who said ganondorf was a clone of Fox? I saw Falcon but not Fox.

Second They cant make all of them costumes because Roy has opposite stats of Marth so that wouldnt work.
You know all of the clones are different from the original, so it isn't just a marth and roy thing. It could work. He would just have Marths stats, but i think it's a bad idea. I am actually on the remove roy side unless they gave him a completely new moveset.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
You know all of the clones are different from the original, so it isn't just a marth and roy thing. It could work. He would just have Marths stats, but i think it's a bad idea. I am actually on the remove roy side unless they gave him a completely new moveset.
Im for Roy staying the same or a couple of moves changing. Maybe arials. I know each character is different from whom they were cloned from but some have a bigger difference then the other like Roy and Marth.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
He should get a new moveset along with Ganon and Falco and not be removed.

Peeze

Smash Master
When i 1st unlocked roy he was my main, but i don't know he just seems cheap: powerful and fast but slow in attacks? He's one clone i wouldn't care either way if he goes or stays, bringing in another FE character like hector to replace him would bring more variety to the table.

Peeze

Smash Master
Oh i know it's just he falls like right in between marth and link in his attack spped and strength and he just seems too similar. that's why i said bring in an ax-wielding maniac, but eh

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Roy is not Marth, Doc and Mario are the same person so Doc could go and don't try to use the Socratic Method it won't work.

Peeze

Smash Master
So are u telling me that ganondorf is not just a heavier, stronger version or C.F.? Roy, hate to say it, is just a slower version of marth imo.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Roy is too similar to marth. He is the second closest clone to the original in my opinion. Atleast Y. Link is Fast and Link is slow... Roy is not a slow character. The only differences that are worth mentioning IMO are that Marth has better Air moves and he also has better ground moves. The only move i like of roys better than marths is down strong. However back to doc. If doc is going to stay he needs moves based on his game and he needs to be reassigned new A moves.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
No you assume to much again trying to use the Socratic Method. Roy, Ganon, Falco all need new movesets because they are not the character that they are a clone of. Y. Link is Link and Doc is Mario. Pichu is to minor to deserve a new moveset although he is technically not Pikachu.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So are u telling me that ganondorf is not just a heavier, stronger version or C.F.? Roy, hate to say it, is just a slower version of marth imo.
Dude Ganondorf and C.Falcon are two ****ing diffrent persons! So are Marth and Roy. Doc IS Mario, just accept that.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
who cares if they are the same person as long as they are different in moves and statistics. Okay, if you play marth, you fight other marths. There is no getting around it. I have so many fox vs fox matches. Sure you might say "Well, they are just one character", sure they are, but they also are just one moveset. Atleast if they changed the movesets for Doc he could have a different moveset and it wouldn't be a doubles match. Also keep in mind that in SSB and SSBM the characters were Dolls and Trophies, so going the whole "2 marios fighting each other doesn't make sense" route is invalid. I say aslong as the statistics and movesets are different im fine with Doc, because atleast he was important to Nintendo.

Peeze

Smash Master
I'm talking about the movesets, who cares about their personalities, this isn't f***** Simz. Ganondorf, and falco could stay because their movesets could be revamped to fit more like their respective games , (like giving g-dorf his big @$$ sword). How could roy's miove's be changed, he uses a sword and um that's it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Noone should be de-cloned. That would make it bad for all the people that once played those chars. I'm not playing marth if roy is de-cloned, ill just play someone new which will be frustrating. I mean, clones aren't exactly the same you cant drop ganon and pick up falcon in a day. I want no future clones but I dont want any clones with new movesets. Dont even take anyone out, because someones pichu is like your(anyones im generalizing) fox or your marth or your shiek, you spent time on that person and they shouldnt ruin your competitive chances because they take out the person you think suits you best and that you spent countless hours practicing with
So Gannondorf should fight with moves he didn't use in any of his games (when he has plenty of moves) in Brawl even though the development team has their own studio and more time now that the game has been delayed? Melee would always be around. There is no reason to keep some characters that were added just as filler and as time savers just because people played with them. Even if they were in the next game, they probably would be decloned and they wouldn't have their moves from Melee.

If you miss Melee, play Melee. By restricting the amount of change, the game cuts its staying power drastically. Although if you like a character, I could understand how you would be upset if he or she didn't return.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Yea, so. I'm fine with that. I just don't see a problem with 2 mario characters. They do look really similar, but still. Would you rather them put a Paper Mario or Baby Mario? I would be against Baby, but i wouldn't mind Paper.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Anyone who says "Roy is just like Marth" or "Mario is just like Doc" obviously doesn't play competitive smash.

They're completely different characters in every way but the movement of their hitboxes. That's it.

Plus, isn't Dr. Mario one of the most popular characters in Japan?

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
it's not that they are just like, it's more that they are too similar in movement and things like that. For example, when I play Mario, then play Doc he feels a lot like Mario in movements and jump and overall attacking. I play Doc over mario, but they still play similar.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If by similar you mean completely different, sure.

Mario's attacks generally move people vertically. This makes for easy comboing most of the time.

Doc's move them horizontall. This makes for easier knockouts.

Pills and fireballs are also much, much different.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
At least Marth and Roy play completly diffrent.

Marth = arial, quick and uses tip.

Roy = ground, slower, stronger, uses center of sword.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
who cares if they are the same person as long as they are different in moves and statistics. Okay, if you play marth, you fight other marths. There is no getting around it. I have so many fox vs fox matches. Sure you might say "Well, they are just one character", sure they are, but they also are just one moveset. Atleast if they changed the movesets for Doc he could have a different moveset and it wouldn't be a doubles match. Also keep in mind that in SSB and SSBM the characters were Dolls and Trophies, so going the whole "2 marios fighting each other doesn't make sense" route is invalid. I say aslong as the statistics and movesets are different im fine with Doc, because atleast he was important to Nintendo.
Yeah but in Brawl they are the characters themselfs, man you just dissed yourself. Doc has to go and you know it. Mario probarly will play something diffrent then he did in Melee, just move on to Mario in Brawl. There wasn't TOO much diffrence between them in Melee anyway. And why SHOULD you play Doc? Because he's higher tier then Mario? Well Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, ect, ect... Are also higher tier then Mario... Your making no sence at all!

Btw... Ganondorf and Falco do have to stay in Smash because they are 1. Important to their franchise. 2. Have actually potential of having a own moveset. Dr. Mario is 1. No way important to his franchise, the Mario franchise is too big already... I think Shy Guy is even a more important character then Doc is. 2. Doc and Mario are the same person, I bet if you fight a clone of yourself he'd fight with the same style as you do... And why would the clone do so? Because he's the same ****ing person as you are.

And Ditto matches are pretty much avoided in tournament play. Marth vs Marth is also a diffrent fight then Marth vs Roy. Because those two clone characters atleast have a noticable diffrence. However Roy and Marth's moves may LOOK the same, their effects are totally diffrent. Roy's sweetspot in on a diffrent place then Marth's. Im not even continuing this! Just look at the tierlist and you'll see they are diffrent, if Roy was a complete clone of Marth he'd be higher.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nobody said he was a complete clone just that he's too similar to the 3 other sword fighters that we have
You Doc people are losing this. The Links and Roy and Marth are more differce then Doc and Mario. You don't even know how Mario is gonna be in Brawl. Why even have Doc if Mario is gonna be better anyway?

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Im beginning to think that people actually think I care if Doc is gone or not. I have said numerous times in the thread that I see both sides of the argument has good points... my only problem is that people say he can't stay because he is the same person as mario. I just don't see that as being a problem.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
He is the same person with the same attacks yet takes up two character slots, so he should be gone in the sense that he is wasting space and that if both people want to be Mario both of them can simply pick Mario.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Alright, alright. I stopped reading after Diddy's first post on page eight.

First things first, people, back on freaking topic. You can debate about Marth and Roy all you want, just not here.

Also, CAN WE LEAVE THE SPECULATION AND OPINIONS AT THE DOORSTEP! Thank you, and wipe your feet. I've seen so much ignorant crap that people are argueing about that is nothing but one person's opinion or another's speculation.

And let me just clear some things up that some of you were talking about, or, at least the ones I can remember.

Dr. Mario is important to his franchise, he's the freaking main character of it.
The Dr. Mario franchise is a big seller, and rather popular. By comparison to the larger titles out there, of course he will seem miniscule.
Dr. Mario and Mario may be the same person, but they have completely different personas.
Wizzlecroff, more or less, has made good points and somehow manage to put them down with your personal thoughts and not facts. For example, his Paper Mario and Baby Mario example.
Bowserlick, I see what you're saying. That makes sense. However,the Doctor's moveset can be altered from complete clone material, but not be an entirely new moveset. Mario and Luigi are the perfect example for this.
Also, there are the solutions such as making Mario transform into Dr. Mario, blah blah, etc.

Okay, shall we get back on track, now? ^_^

icymatt

Smash Lord
If they need room for someone more interesting, I'm perfectly fine with Dr.Mario not coming back.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Like someone else said earlier, this generation's technology and hard-ware is far beyond floppies, people. There isn't a reason to remove someone for "space" but, moreover, development time.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
You know what I meant If they make him someone else won't get in space in terms of number of characters that are original because they announced that there would only be forty.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Like someone else said earlier, this generation's technology and hard-ware is far beyond floppies, people. There isn't a reason to remove someone for "space" but, moreover, development time.
I know that. But I stand by my choice of words.

And 40 was never announced. It was part of THE RUMOR package of crap.

Top Bottom