• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The real problem with MK

Napos

Smash Ace
Now, first and foremost. I use to Main MK. I picked him just "cause" and had no idea until a year ago that he was the best character in the game.

Now, with the banishment that happened not to long ago, I forever stopped maining him. Which for me, is awesome. I love playing with other characters and winning is much more rewarding(for me anyway, not trying to bash on MK or other players that main the dude)

The thing is, isn't it not cool when players bring out their "Pocket MK" just to win?

I think in Tournament play, the player must pick a main and stick with it. Instead of turning towards MK when the going gets tough?

Would this make Brawl more fun?intense? stupid? idk, Its not a bad suggestion, IMO.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
It's a pretty bad suggestion. What's the point of playing a game with 38 characters if you have to stick with one? -_-

And good players don't lose to 'pocket MK's, unless this 'good' player is playing some terrible character like Zelda or Ganondorf

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's a pretty bad suggestion. What's the point of playing a game with 38 characters if you have to stick with one? -_-

And good players don't lose to 'pocket MK's, unless this 'good' player is playing some terrible character like Zelda or Ganondorf
This, basically.

One of the biggest things about competitive Smash is the counterpicking system. Counterpicking stages and characters adds a healthy bit of depth and strategy to the game that I'd personally hate to see removed, even though I primarily only use one character.

I'd also like to add that even if both players are good, pocket MKs often prevail either way if the match-up is bad enough. MK vs D3, for example.

allshort17

Smash Ace
One thing I felt was wrong with the CP system is that the person who lost could choose a stage and character, but the person who won could just pick another character that nullifies the stage and character counter. I feel like we need a rule to help balance that out. Things like:

*A rule where the winner has to change characters first before the loser switches characters or stage
*The winner of the match is character locked
*The winner doesn't get a stage ban

Less important, I'd like to see experimentation with CP rulesets. While I'm fine with playing with it, I don't like the idea of having a stage and character CP. One or the other is plenty and I feel like with both the advantage the loser gets could be too overwhelming (remember when people thought if you lose game one, the game two was an insta-win when the loser CP'ed MK and you had to decide banning RC or Delfino?) I know the loser should get an advantage, but the system we have now I feel puts too much imphazes on your CP. Some ways to balance this out:

*The loser gets to CP a stage or character, not both
*If the losers only CP's a stage or character, then the winner is character locked. If he CP's both, the the winner is allowed to change characters.
*The loser can CP characters while the winner is character locked. However, the players must re-strike neutral stages.

That idea is less of a worry, but it's something I've always wanted to see TO's play around with. However, we do need to address the advantages given to the loser vs the winner first. Letting the winner have the ability to CP characters after the loser has already chosen character and stage defeats the CP system, which is to give the loser a slight advantage. I don't want to have to base my CP on the possibility that a character switch could happen. I want a clear advantage over my opponent that he cannot completely get rid of.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
In the last tournament here, we tried to "winner can't change character".. With that, people can CP to Rainbow or Delfino if they use Pikachu, Wario, G&W, etc and be safe about the pocket MK.

idk if that can the a real answer to all the pocket MKs, but you won't lose to a pocket MK if you're better player, it's pocket, isn't their main

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The real problem with Metaknight, along with the fact that he has no bad match-ups whatsoever, is that he can't really be counterpicked on a specific stage as he performs well on all stages. The only way to beat a Meta Knight is by knowing the MU very well, and playing the crap out of that MU until you know what strengths and weaknesses your character has over MK, and playing to their strengths with the best of your ability.

Napos

Smash Ace
I mean, It should only pertain to MK(Being that he is the best character) if you main him,then main him.

But if you don't, then why are you going to use him as your secondary and not, Olimar, Diddy, snake, etc.? you guys get what I am saying? Just an idea is all. Why does it always have to be MK?

LanceStern

Smash Lord
The real problem with Metaknight, along with the fact that he has no bad match-ups whatsoever, is that he can't really be counterpicked on a specific stage as he performs well on all stages. The only way to beat a Meta Knight is by knowing the MU very well, and playing the crap out of that MU until you know what strengths and weaknesses your character has over MK, and playing to their strengths with the best of your ability.
I think this is so important. You gotta learn specifically what YOUR CHARACTER(s) have over Metaknight and really get good at it.

I had to learn that being a Peach main and an ex-Samus main. What works.. what I survive until... the damage I'm willing to take in order to get the stage... the baits I'm willing to throw out .. gotta learn it

kismet2

Smash Ace
I think this is so important. You gotta learn specifically what YOUR CHARACTER(s) have over Metaknight and really get good at it.
this statement irks me. this has nothing to do with you not liking mk but a person should be learning what their character can do vs everyone in the cast and not just one. alot of people sleep on certain characters and feel like they don't need learn certain matchups.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
One thing I felt was wrong with the CP system is that the person who lost could choose a stage and character, but the person who won could just pick another character that nullifies the stage and character counter. I feel like we need a rule to help balance that out. Things like:

*A rule where the winner has to change characters first before the loser switches characters or stage
*The winner of the match is character locked
*The winner doesn't get a stage ban

Less important, I'd like to see experimentation with CP rulesets. While I'm fine with playing with it, I don't like the idea of having a stage and character CP. One or the other is plenty and I feel like with both the advantage the loser gets could be too overwhelming (remember when people thought if you lose game one, the game two was an insta-win when the loser CP'ed MK and you had to decide banning RC or Delfino?) I know the loser should get an advantage, but the system we have now I feel puts too much imphazes on your CP. Some ways to balance this out:

*The loser gets to CP a stage or character, not both
*If the losers only CP's a stage or character, then the winner is character locked. If he CP's both, the the winner is allowed to change characters.
*The loser can CP characters while the winner is character locked. However, the players must re-strike neutral stages.

That idea is less of a worry, but it's something I've always wanted to see TO's play around with. However, we do need to address the advantages given to the loser vs the winner first. Letting the winner have the ability to CP characters after the loser has already chosen character and stage defeats the CP system, which is to give the loser a slight advantage. I don't want to have to base my CP on the possibility that a character switch could happen. I want a clear advantage over my opponent that he cannot completely get rid of.
Umm, I've never heard of a tournament where the winner gets to counterpick characters like you're saying. Proper set procedure is as follows

1. Players announce their character picks
2. Players strike from starter stage list
3. Winner announces stage ban
4. Loser announces counterpick stage.
5. Winner announces character pick
6. Loser announces character counterpick

The winner has the option to change their character based on the new stage, not based on their opponent's new character. That's fair enough.

Napos

Smash Ace
yeah, that makes sense.

like I said though, it just gets very annoying. @metakill-> thats very true.

_KANG_

Smash Rookie
Now, first and foremost. I use to Main MK. I picked him just "cause" and had no idea until a year ago that he was the best character in the game.

Now, with the banishment that happened not to long ago, I forever stopped maining him. Which for me, is awesome. I love playing with other characters and winning is much more rewarding(for me anyway, not trying to bash on MK or other players that main the dude)

The thing is, isn't it not cool when players bring out their "Pocket MK" just to win?

I think in Tournament play, the player must pick a main and stick with it. Instead of turning towards MK when the going gets tough?

Would this make Brawl more fun?intense? stupid? idk, Its not a bad suggestion, IMO.

You pocket MKed me last night, you hypocrite!

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Oh wow did I get in a time machine and go back to 2008 ?
Where are the melee vs brawl threads ?

Steam

Smash Hero
I switched to MK because it's the best way to quickly improve your results at this game. at the very least situationally. I won so many sets in the past from going Lucario til I lost a game, have my opponent ban some lucario stage, then go MK on RC for a free win. I mean, I actually practiced MK on rainbow a fair amount (so I could also protect myself against being MK CP'd) but it was just incredible how much better I'd place once I started using him often.

anyways, the problem with MK is that he's just insanely good, and has no bad matchups or stages.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
If you only play on sv, fd and bf, mk has even match ups (imo these are falco, ice climbers, diddy kong, snake) and mk can't get a free win on those stages. Iv'e always mained mk and I really dont understand why people think he is so good. I think he is the best character in the game but he has weaknesses just like every other character (easily juggled, grab release combo's, slow air speed, dies early). Maybe he seems better to you because you mained a mid-high tier character and mk is the best character in the game so its a big difference.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
What some people will do to better understand a match-up is just playing the character you're having troubles beating. In basically everyone's case, metaknight is one of those match-ups where no mater what character you're playing, it is important to have a strong understanding.

From this kind of practice, people tend to learn how to use metaknight over time. So it's not too unreasonable to pocket a MK since it's there.

Personally I think a pocket ice climbers can hurt more people than a pocket metaknight could. :p

Top Bottom