• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I've never noticed any anachronisms in the Layton games but they probably just slipped past me. The games definitely feel like they take place in a more heightened version of the UK, like a foreigner's perception of British quaintness.
Yeah quaint is a better description for what I was getting at for the setting than anachronism is.
This all sounds like what the Oddity staff is doing for their game; giving the setting a timeless feel by carefully making sure not to add any notable anachronisms.
It still feels so odd that Oddity is an actual thing now, I remember following mother 4 so long ago and never coming to fruition.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Okay, I took out my copy of The World of Professor Layton. Here's Art Director Jun Suzuki's response to the question "Why did you pick London as Professor Layton's home? What year is supposed to be anyway?".

So, that's that I guess. I guess I just thought of it as Victorian-ish due to the Conan-Doyle influences, but we're meant to be the steampunk-ish 60s.

Also, Hino commented "unofficially" that Flora's post-Unwound-Future whereabouts involved "climbing the steps to adulthood by herself," which doesn't provide a satisfying explanation for why she's been missing from all the current media...
Yeah seems like they where just looking for a starting point and taking it from there, not relying too much on whatever was around during that time, but still making sure that things don't feel too out of place.

And yeah that explanation feels a bit too much like a cop out. Something something "maybe she found a job and a boyfriend" and all.
I'd imagine Flora is one of those characters that will probably require a lot of fan demand to be brought back into the series and expanded upon since Level-5 themselves didn't seem to have been all that interested in the character since post Curious Village and it shows...

This all sounds like what the Oddity staff is doing for their game; giving the setting a timeless feel by carefully making sure not to add any notable anachronisms.
Oddity seems like an interesting little game. I thought they left that project behind when it was still "Mother 4" but I suppose they rebranded the game now into their own thing.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've never noticed any anachronisms in the Layton games but they probably just slipped past me. The games definitely feel like they take place in a more heightened version of the UK, like a foreigner's perception of British quaintness.
which would explain why i thought fifties

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oddity seems like an interesting little game. I thought they left that project behind when it was still "Mother 4" but I suppose they rebranded the game now into their own thing.
They always said they would rebrand it, so they lived up to their word. I and others rather thought that the apparent strife within the staff would cause problems.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
And yeah that explanation feels a bit too much like a cop out. Something something "maybe she found a job and a boyfriend" and all.
I'd imagine Flora is one of those characters that will probably require a lot of fan demand to be brought back into the series and expanded upon since Level-5 themselves didn't seem to have been all that interested in the character since post Curious Village and it shows...
It does seem to be just one step beyond "Guys, Flora is living on a big fancy farm upstate!"... Hopefully they address it at some point.

Well this is bad.

I hope everyone's okay...
Well. That's worrying, but I'm glad they're taking precautions to keep all of the developers safe. It's unfortunate that they can't find other non-physical ways to present the character to the publisher (which I guess confirms that it's a third-party?), but it's definitely better safe then sorry...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It does seem to be just one step beyond "Guys, Flora is living on a big fancy farm upstate!"... Hopefully they address it at some point.

Well. That's worrying, but I'm glad they're taking precautions to keep all of the developers safe. It's unfortunate that they can't find other non-physical ways to present the character to the publisher (which I guess confirms that it's a third-party?), but it's definitely better safe then sorry...
Hopefully yeah.

Yeah Health & Safety first, the DLC can wait.
I'm assuming this particular DLC might be pertaining to a later DLC fighter (Like fighter 7 or 8 or something) but who knows I suppose, they mentioned they might reveal the character anyway so it might be another Mewtwo/Joker/Terry type reveal where they show off the fighter but gameplay footage has to be postponed to a later date due to the virus complicating things for the dev's.
And yeah, they will probably continue to focus mostly on third party characters again, which might complicate things a little as well considering current events..

All in all, I hope Sakurai and the rest of the dev team stay safe and are okay..
As goes for everyone else. Stay safe guys!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm assuming this particular DLC might be pertaining to a later DLC fighter (Like fighter 7 or 8 or something) but who knows I suppose, they mentioned they might reveal the character anyway so it might be another Mewtwo/Joker/Terry type reveal where they show off the fighter but gameplay footage has to be postponed to a later date due to the virus complicating things for the dev's.
And yeah, they will probably continue to focus mostly on third party characters again, which might complicate things a little as well considering current events..
Fair. I was just taking them both as discussing the same character, in that the meeting(s) being postphoned means that an announcement may or may not be postphoned. Part of me kind of hopes they'd push the announcement back, as Smash fans aren't known for being patient in the best of times and things are super tense right now anyway... I'd hate to see what would happen if a character was announced and we had to wait a Joker-length amount of time right now...

And, yes, stay safe everyone! It's a scary time right now... Wash your hands and avoid large crowds...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Kind of an odd question, but do y'all know of any other fictional media that have a similar aesthetic or atmosphere as the Layton games? That quaint European Storybook feel, can't think of a better word than "Laytonesque".

It doesn't have to be exact and it can be from anything, video games, movies, cartoons, anime, manga, comics, etc.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Kind of an odd question, but do y'all know of any other fictional media that have a similar aesthetic or atmosphere as the Layton games? That quaint European Storybook feel, can't think of a better word than "Laytonesque".

It doesn't have to be exact and it can be from anything, video games, movies, cartoons, anime, manga, comics, etc.
I might be misremembering, but there's this anime I watched as a kid called Sherlock Hound that was kinda like that (except that every character was a talking animal). It's been a long time since I've watched it though, so I could just be projecting my impressions of Layton onto it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

The first thing that came to mind when I first saw early screens of Curious Village was The Triplets of Belleville. Exact same aesthetic, though slightly more cartoony/exaggerated in character design.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The first thing that came to mind when I first saw early screens of Curious Village was The Triplets of Belleville. Exact same aesthetic, though slightly more cartoony/exaggerated in character design.
When you said Triplets I was thinking of the Triplets cartoon, which was apparently made in spain.
Level-5 did state that the Layton series was inspired by European cartoons and storybooks aesthetic wise, which I can see where their coming from.

But the one you mentioned looks very Layton esque, yes, especially with Curious Village.

Last edited:

veeflames

Smash Rookie
So it would seem some sort of ARMS character(s) is going to be representing the 6th Fighter's Pass. Much hype. I always saw an ARMS character in Smash from the very moment it was released in January 2017, and ARMS is severely underrated, so I'm actually really happy about this.

But take a look at the manner the character was announced. Nintendo clearly didn't put a lot of fanfare or Sakurai-style trolling (alà KKR and Banjo) when making this announcement in the Direct Mini. Of course, it could be because there's not a whole lot to announce just yet, but still. It was a rather modest announcement. But I actually think that was a good thing. Why? Because no a whole lot of players are getting mad about this, and the modest nature of the announcement is naturally fostering increasing interest in the game and the series. As of this post it's one it the top trends in NA Twitter. That's pretty awesome.

So naturally, seeing as Layton is my #1 pick for the Fighter's Pass, it got me thinking. Layton is no slouch in the popularity department, but I wonder how Nintendo will choose to announce Layton? They could go all out with a cinematic not unlike the ones you can find in the Layton games and squeeze the very hype out of Layton fans, but I wonder if "those" Smash fans would get... well, salty, that it's not Waluigi or Geno or some other popular potential Smash character. Or the team over at Sakurai's could just be like, "oh hey, Layton's a Smash Bros. character now, have fun!" Best case scenario for me would be hype for Layton as a Smash character, and an increase in interest for the Layton games. Puzzle games aren't for everyone, but the more people the Professor Layton games, the better.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So it would seem some sort of ARMS character(s) is going to be representing the 6th Fighter's Pass. Much hype. I always saw an ARMS character in Smash from the very moment it was released in January 2017, and ARMS is severely underrated, so I'm actually really happy about this.

But take a look at the manner the character was announced. Nintendo clearly didn't put a lot of fanfare or Sakurai-style trolling (alà KKR and Banjo) when making this announcement in the Direct Mini. Of course, it could be because there's not a whole lot to announce just yet, but still. It was a rather modest announcement. But I actually think that was a good thing. Why? Because no a whole lot of players are getting mad about this, and the modest nature of the announcement is naturally fostering increasing interest in the game and the series. As of this post it's one it the top trends in NA Twitter. That's pretty awesome.

So naturally, seeing as Layton is my #1 pick for the Fighter's Pass, it got me thinking. Layton is no slouch in the popularity department, but I wonder how Nintendo will choose to announce Layton? They could go all out with a cinematic not unlike the ones you can find in the Layton games and squeeze the very hype out of Layton fans, but I wonder if "those" Smash fans would get... well, salty, that it's not Waluigi or Geno or some other popular potential Smash character. Or the team over at Sakurai's could just be like, "oh hey, Layton's a Smash Bros. character now, have fun!" Best case scenario for me would be hype for Layton as a Smash character, and an increase in interest for the Layton games. Puzzle games aren't for everyone, but the more people the Professor Layton games, the better.
i think the lack of fanfare may be due more to the current global situation more than anything

veeflames

Smash Rookie
i think the lack of fanfare may be due more to the current global situation more than anything
I was also thinking that too (when I was talking about having not much to announce yet, especially when you consider Sakurai saying COVID-19 could put some plans on hold for now).

It's also a Direct Mini, so that could also play a role in how it was announced. Anyhoo, I'm just happy we're getting an ARMS rep and people are talking about the game more now. If the same happened for Layton, I'd be one happy boi

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was also thinking that too (when I was talking about having not much to announce yet, especially when you consider Sakurai saying COVID-19 could put some plans on hold for now).

It's also a Direct Mini, so that could also play a role in how it was announced. Anyhoo, I'm just happy we're getting an ARMS rep and people are talking about the game more now. If the same happened for Layton, I'd be one happy boi
yeah i think we all like the idea of the attention the series would get if layton got into smash

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It might have been due to COVID-19, but it might have also been because they where trying to get more people interested in trying out the game too, what with them releasing ARMS for Nintendo Switch online users now, if they revealed any specific character, most people would probably play solely as that specific character whereas the way they revealed things gives folks more freedom to play as any character that personally stands out to them and pick out a favourite for themselves. Maybe..

As for how they'd reveal Layton, I think a regular Direct would pretty much be the best option for him, I don't know if they can do a teaser type thing like with ARMS since there is really only him (and Katrielle I suppose) as the sole real options for the series as far as potential playable characters go.

Considering we still don't know what became of the whole Curious Village HD coming to Switch thing, if that's still on the table, then I suppose they can officially reveal that game alongside Layton himself in order to give newcomers the opportunity to try the series out for the first time with the first entry in the series before the character comes out.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Given how Sakurai made a comment about Nintendo going ahead with a reveal regardless of how development is going, I'm guessing that they wanted to reveal ARMS for Smash when the ARMS trial is going on... So, they just threw together a teaser announcement as the actual trailer isn't ready.

On the other hand, if the idea that ARMS will be getting characters over character singular is correct, then there is a chance that this could be evidence for Layton and Kat being able to share a slot, as most ARMS characters wouldn't have the exact same proportions in the canon. It would also create even more questions about what an echo actually is, but still..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It might have been due to COVID-19, but it might have also been because they where trying to get more people interested in trying out the game too, what with them releasing ARMS for Nintendo Switch online users now, if they revealed any specific character, most people would probably play solely as that specific character whereas the way they revealed things gives folks more freedom to play as any character that personally stands out to them and pick out a favourite for themselves. Maybe..

As for how they'd reveal Layton, I think a regular Direct would pretty much be the best option for him, I don't know if they can do a teaser type thing like with ARMS since there is really only him (and Katrielle I suppose) as the sole real options for the series as far as potential playable characters go.

Considering we still don't know what became of the whole Curious Village HD coming to Switch thing, if that's still on the table, then I suppose they can officially reveal that game alongside Layton himself in order to give newcomers the opportunity to try the series out for the first time with the first entry in the series before the character comes out.
back to the old wait and see approach then?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
back to the old wait and see approach then?
That's pretty much all we've been doing I suppose...

I looked a bit more into the whole localization leak with Curious Village HD, it was apparently done by the G4F localization company, who also did the Switch release of Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe, they basically do the game translations for other non-English languages if I'm not mistaken.

Its a bit odd that the Switch version still hasn't even seen the light of day in Japan yet if it does exist and has already been under localization for the west since beginning last year. Though then again Lost Future HD also hasn't even been revealed in Japan yet. Its hard to tell what any of this could mean since Level-5's been acting odd with the Layton series since beginning last year, way before the whole COVID-19 scene even blew up with the general public..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's pretty much all we've been doing I suppose...

I looked a bit more into the whole localization leak with Curious Village HD, it was apparently done by the G4F localization company, who also did the Switch release of Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe, they basically do the game translations for other non-English languages if I'm not mistaken.

Its a bit odd that the Switch version still hasn't even seen the light of day in Japan yet if it does exist and has already been under localization for the west since beginning last year. Though then again Lost Future HD also hasn't even been revealed in Japan yet. Its hard to tell what any of this could mean since Level-5's been acting odd with the Layton series since beginning last year, way before the whole COVID-19 scene even blew up with the general public..
thats true, we have observed many times that level-5 are being oddly quite atm

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Yes I still want Layton. Even when I haven't been on this site a lot lately because I lost the hype for Smash Ultimate a bit, but an Arms character grabbed me back to Smash Ultimate. I finally got a character who I am into this DLC speculation round. That made me hyped for more, so I really hope Layton is going to be in. It would be really good for representation variation. Layton would play different than each other character, and if Sakurai wants to bring a big puzzle character, I feel like it's got to be Layton. Plus, I feel like it's finally time to bring a huge DS icon, since we haven't got that yet. The DS era is so important for Nintendo, yet they don't have any good representation except for what? The Pictochat stage and the Kawashima Assist Trophy. Feel like a character would do good, and Layton would be much recognized.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes I still want Layton. Even when I haven't been on this site a lot lately because I lost the hype for Smash Ultimate a bit, but an Arms character grabbed me back to Smash Ultimate. I finally got a character who I am into this DLC speculation round. That made me hyped for more, so I really hope Layton is going to be in. It would be really good for representation variation. Layton would play different than each other character, and if Sakurai wants to bring a big puzzle character, I feel like it's got to be Layton. Plus, I feel like it's finally time to bring a huge DS icon, since we haven't got that yet. The DS era is so important for Nintendo, yet they don't have any good representation except for what? The Pictochat stage and the Kawashima Assist Trophy. Feel like a character would do good, and Layton would be much recognized.
what lost the hype for you?

also id argue that the pokemon who was just name 2nd most popular is a huge ds icon

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
what lost the hype for you?
I think the weak DLC selection (at least for me). Banjo was cool and all... but the first Fighters Pass was really third party focused - and I felt not in the good way. The focus was clearly on getting big icons together, and for me, Smash is a celebration of Nintendo history. I felt like a few third party characters "closer" to Nintendo could be chosen instead of the ones chosen now. I wanted Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Banjo & Kazooie (at least got that), Rayman (or even the Rabbids), Geno and Shantae as third party, because I feel like they have been a part of NINTENDO history, what Smash is supposed to celebrate (to me at least). Hero did this well. Byleth was an okay choice, I'm not really into Fire Emblem, but Byleth had a nice moveset, and first and foremost: first party characters were back on the table again.

Now, Arms is announced. It got me immediately excited. Back to celebrating Nintendo history with Smash Bros. again. This gave me hope for the rest of the characters. Hopefully a more Nintendo-centered cast, and I really want some first party choices. Since Arms can destroy the rule of "spirits can't be characters", I'm back in excitement because that means more Nintendo characters can come!

However, a third party with the name of Professor Layton is still my #2 want. Because it's a big part of my childhood AND it's a big part of Nintendo's history (the huge DS era). While anything Rhythm Heaven is still my #1 :p (and Arms was my #3). RH looks like it's impossible for Smash Ultimate, so my biggest hopes are on the professor!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the weak DLC selection (at least for me). Banjo was cool and all... but the first Fighters Pass was really third party focused - and I felt not in the good way. The focus was clearly on getting big icons together, and for me, Smash is a celebration of Nintendo history. I felt like a few third party characters "closer" to Nintendo could be chosen instead of the ones chosen now. I wanted Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Banjo & Kazooie (at least got that), Rayman (or even the Rabbids), Geno and Shantae as third party, because I feel like they have been a part of NINTENDO history, what Smash is supposed to celebrate (to me at least). Hero did this well. Byleth was an okay choice, I'm not really into Fire Emblem, but Byleth had a nice moveset, and first and foremost: first party characters were back on the table again.

Now, Arms is announced. It got me immediately excited. Back to celebrating Nintendo history with Smash Bros. again. This gave me hope for the rest of the characters. Hopefully a more Nintendo-centered cast, and I really want some first party choices. Since Arms can destroy the rule of "spirits can't be characters", I'm back in excitement because that means more Nintendo characters can come!

However, a third party with the name of Professor Layton is still my #2 want. Because it's a big part of my childhood AND it's a big part of Nintendo's history (the huge DS era). While anything Rhythm Heaven is still my #1 :p (and Arms was my #3). RH looks like it's impossible for Smash Ultimate, so my biggest hopes are on the professor!
yeah i feel its a bit of a shame that smash has moved away from being about nintendo (sorry chibi) but who is more related to nintendo is surely a matter of opinion? i wouldnt say rayman or shante has a particular connection to nintendo being as far as im aware multi platform for most. what makes a 3rd party connected to nintendo? a former rivalry? (sonic) their games debuting on a nintendo platform? (layton) previously being owned by nintendo? (b&k) its all a matter of opinion, i know some would say dragon quest has a connection to nintendo (dont think anyone would make arguments for persona or fatal fury) but our original 3rd party character is from a series whos connection to nintendo is poor at best. point is which series are connected to nintendo is subjective

also who says rhythm paradise is impossible for ultimate?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
yeah i feel its a bit of a shame that smash has moved away from being about nintendo (sorry chibi) but who is more related to nintendo is surely a matter of opinion? i wouldnt say rayman or shante has a particular connection to nintendo being as far as im aware multi platform for most. what makes a 3rd party connected to nintendo? a former rivalry? (sonic) their games debuting on a nintendo platform? (layton) previously being owned by nintendo? (b&k) its all a matter of opinion, i know some would say dragon quest has a connection to nintendo (dont think anyone would make arguments for persona or fatal fury) but our original 3rd party character is from a series whos connection to nintendo is poor at best. point is which series are connected to nintendo is subjective

I suppose it may be a matter of which third parties Nintendo themselves had supported in particular and who their fans grew up with, particularly those who were commonly mistaken as Nintendo franchises initially like Megaman and Castlevania, I believe those appeared in a show alongside various other Nintendo properties back in the 80's/90's or so and were also featured in a number of Nintendo Power comics if I'm not mistaken. Banjo had a lot of Nintendo fans growing up with it during the N64 era, back when Rare was still working alongside Nintendo prior to the buyout.
And Layton had a lot of support from Nintendo over the years and was one of the biggest stars of the DS at the time, especially with NoE and the series is still featured on their official website as part of the "Nintendo characters" group to this day.

But like you said, overall its subjective more or less and probably doesn't really matter too much what connections these characters have in the grand scheme of things as Sakurai goes on to do his own things.

But still, seeing the likes of Megaman, Simon, Banjo, Phoenix and Layton together with the rest of Nintendo's lineup does give a bit of a heartwarming feeling, but that's probably just me...

It would be nice to see all these characters together in the same game one day.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I suppose it may be a matter of which third parties Nintendo themselves had supported in particular and who their fans grew up with, particularly those who were commonly mistaken as Nintendo franchises initially like Megaman and Castlevania, I believe those appeared in a show alongside various other Nintendo properties back in the 80's/90's or so and were also featured in a number of Nintendo Power comics if I'm not mistaken. Banjo had a lot of Nintendo fans growing up with it during the N64 era, back when Rare was still working alongside Nintendo prior to the buyout.
And Layton had a lot of support from Nintendo over the years and was one of the biggest stars of the DS at the time, especially with NoE and the series is still featured on their official website as part of the "Nintendo characters" group to this day.

But like you said, overall its subjective more or less and probably doesn't really matter too much what connections these characters have in the grand scheme of things as Sakurai goes on to do his own things.

But still, seeing the likes of Megaman, Simon, Banjo, Phoenix and Layton together with the rest of Nintendo's lineup does give a bit of a heartwarming feeling, but that's probably just me...

It would be nice to see all these characters together in the same game one day.
it would be nice to see them all together (well maybe not simon) i can understand why people associate layton, nick and megaman with nintendo and b&k were nintendo in an other life. but then you get some rather strange suggestions for who seems to be nintendo esc

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
it would be nice to see them all together (well maybe not simon) i can understand why people associate layton, nick and megaman with nintendo and b&k were nintendo in an other life. but then you get some rather strange suggestions for who seems to be nintendo esc
I guess it depends on who you are personally attached to I suppose.
There are also some folks who feel that Nintendo personally "adopted" Bayonetta and all.

Personally I just want to see at least Layton and Phoenix and I'd be pretty much set as far as the whole "third parties with Nintendo connections" thing goes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There are also some folks who feel that Nintendo personally "adopted" Bayonetta and all.

Personally I just want to see at least Layton and Phoenix and I'd be pretty much set as far as the whole "third parties with Nintendo connections" thing goes.
if they think nintendo adopted her theyll believe anything

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
if they think nintendo adopted her theyll believe anything
Well she did throw a bit of a wrench to the whole "third parties needing to be gaming icons" plan when she was initially announced so eh...

Nowadays Smash has grown a lot more lax in terms of who they let in though, which should hopefully only be a good thing for us I suppose.
Although some folks do still view Smash as this "video game hall of fame" and all....

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Because I feel like RH would be too obscure / niche to be a DLC character that people will buy. Only way will be if a RH game will release in 2020 or 2021 (and I don't expect that).

Yes, it really depends on who you're really attached to, but some characters are clearly more attached to Nintendo than others. If you look at Bayonetta vs. Joker, you clearly see which is more Nintendo-attached. This also works for Professor Layton vs. Terry for instance. Especially in the last few years.

Top Bottom