• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much just yet in terms of Level-5's presence in general.

Sure it may be a tad odd that they still haven't gotten anything that they own yet while being a year and a few month's into the game so far. But its still early days for this new pass and who knows what's in store for us there. We don't even know who the ARMS fighter is, after all.

I probably wouldn't worry until we're at least over halfway through this second pass and there's still no sign's of them, spirit event or otherwise, by that point...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We're definitely good at having the "It is weird Level-5 isn't in the game" conversation haha... I think it's kind of justified by how many new companies keep on appearing in it without Level-5 getting anything though....

I don't imagine many companies would, like, reject a spirit set offer if Nintendo asked them. It's still getting into the biggest gaming crossover where a lot of eyes will be on your IP, even if it's just in a non-playable role.
its hard to tell how anyone would react to the idea, but if hino is still open to the idea then it may just be a case of waiting

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>That moment when you realize that the Layton series Twitter account might give more insight on Layton's inclusion in Smash if he where to make it in...

Well maybe, and if they are still doing this whole thing by the time he gets included...

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I finished the Last Spectre.....so ok that was my least favourite game so far in this series.
It feels like one big introduction for the new bad guy (Descole) and honestly I think the game lacked a tighter narrative like in previous games. In the diabolical box the narratives all about the Elysium box and the mystery around it, which leads up to the final battle between Layton and Anton.
In Unwound Future the narratives is heavily focused on Time Travel, to stop Future Layton/Dimitri and then take on Clive near the end.

With this game, the story is like a hand in too many pies. You've got the spectre and Luke being an oracle, then all the stuff with Arianna being a witch, closed off from the rest of Misthallery and her father's mysterious death, then the whole mystery with Luke's mother being missing, Jakes being a bad cop and against Layton and co, then the stuff with Loosha and Ariannas illness etc

Too much in one game

How's the movie btw? I'm planning on watching that tonight since it's next in line

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Brindor Brindor Yeah I did kind of feel like Last Specter was trying a bit too hard to one up/recapture Lost Future in terms of storyline, especially at the end.
I suppose it gets the job done as a soft reboot with an all new cast though. But I'd probably still recommend starting with Curious Village and working your way up in order of release.
One thing I liked from it was the inclusion of the episodes feature, which helps to give a bit more of an in depth perspective for all the characters you meet. I wish they added that in the HD ports of the first two games...

I personally enjoyed the movie so sure, give it a go.

Anyway, I hope everything is going alright with Level-5, with the whole thing with COVID-19 and dev's having to work from home now, including Sakurai.
I hope everyone is doing alright...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I finished the Last Spectre.....so ok that was my least favourite game so far in this series.
It feels like one big introduction for the new bad guy (Descole) and honestly I think the game lacked a tighter narrative like in previous games. In the diabolical box the narratives all about the Elysium box and the mystery around it, which leads up to the final battle between Layton and Anton.
In Unwound Future the narratives is heavily focused on Time Travel, to stop Future Layton/Dimitri and then take on Clive near the end.

With this game, the story is like a hand in too many pies. You've got the spectre and Luke being an oracle, then all the stuff with Arianna being a witch, closed off from the rest of Misthallery and her father's mysterious death, then the whole mystery with Luke's mother being missing, Jakes being a bad cop and against Layton and co, then the stuff with Loosha and Ariannas illness etc

Too much in one game

How's the movie btw? I'm planning on watching that tonight since it's next in line
Last Specter is better enjoyed if not seen as a standalone game but rather the first in a trilogy. Unlike the original games, the prequels are much more interconnected. Not saying it's better or worse, just that you'll probably get more enjoyment out of them if you view them through that mindset.

I think the movie's great, I really enjoyed it. Top five videogame movies, easily.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Too much in one game

the movies is so awesome

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I guess Level-5 deals with the whole COVID-19 thing in their own special way.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I really liked the movie, everyone gets the right amount of screen time for their character.
Only thing I disliked was Emmy's new voice, I don't know if it was a new VA or her old one trying a different tone, but she sounded to high pitched and upper class lady like then what I would've liked for her.

Well now it's time to go and buy a 3DS to continue the saga.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I really liked the movie, everyone gets the right amount of screen time for their character.
Only thing I disliked was Emmy's new voice, I don't know if it was a new VA or her old one trying a different tone, but she sounded to high pitched and upper class lady like then what I would've liked for her.

The movie for some reason gave almost everyone different voices, I'm not sure if that had anything to do with them not being able to use the voice cast from the games for some reason. Although Emmy and the like retain their Last Specter voices in the other games, so if you liked that then you'll be fine.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well I guess Level-5 deals with the whole COVID-19 thing in their own special way.
is that their 4 switch games on sale?

well eternal diva actual came out before we even got the 3rd game lets alone the 4th it was set after so i dont think any of them had set VAs yet

glad you liked the movie

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
is that their 4 switch games on sale?

well eternal diva actual came out before we even got the 3rd game lets alone the 4th it was set after so i dont think any of them had set VAs yet

glad you liked the movie
I think it is, they just have it under a new title of "Let's play at home! campaign" lord knows Level-5 is going to need all the sales that they can get, especially after the Olympics got postponed so they can't even promote Yo-Kai Watch there. Hopefully they have all their staff working at home now due to this pandemic though.

I think the characters from the original trilogy also had different voices there, then again, they only had a couple seconds of screen time so it probably wasn't worth it getting their original voice actors in there, even though Don Paolo has the same voice actor as Layton himself if I'm not mistaken...

Its odd but yeah, I suppose it may have just been a matter of them not establishing the voice actors of the prequels cast yet at the time...

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Can we all take a moment to appreciate Descole's theme

It is an unforgivable sin that the Layton games OST's aren't on Spotify

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think it is, they just have it under a new title of "Let's play at home! campaign" lord knows Level-5 is going to need all the sales that they can get, especially after the Olympics got postponed so they can't even promote Yo-Kai Watch there. Hopefully they have all their staff working at home now due to this pandemic though.

I think the characters from the original trilogy also had different voices there, then again, they only had a couple seconds of screen time so it probably wasn't worth it getting their original voice actors in there, even though Don Paolo has the same voice actor as Layton himself if I'm not mistaken...

Its odd but yeah, I suppose it may have just been a matter of them not establishing the voice actors of the prequels cast yet at the time...
oh yeah, i think don palo was the same as usual and i think flora was voiced by luke in this one, the uk luke that is

oh yeah its a glorious tune, id really hope itd be in smash with the prof

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

That song is definitely a must if Layton where to make it in, there's some really good live tunes that would be really great to hear in Smash, hopefully Level-5 would be able to lend Sakurai a few...

oh yeah, i think don palo was the same as usual and i think flora was voiced by luke in this one, the uk luke that is

oh yeah its a glorious tune, id really hope itd be in smash with the prof
I think Don Paolo had a different one, he's usually voiced by Chris Miller, just like Layton and I think Chelmey as well. Not sure why they gave him a different guy for the movie considering Layton's voice actor was voicing, well, Layton...

I don't know if Flora got Maria Darling but she got the same actress that did the little girl in the movie I believe, I forgot her name...

Lani Minella was absent I think, even for the US release considering she's usually the one that voices US Luke, Flora and Emmy.
I wonder if she's someone who just voices characters for video games...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Don Paolo had a different one, he's usually voiced by Chris Miller, just like Layton and I think Chelmey as well. Not sure why they gave him a different guy for the movie considering Layton's voice actor was voicing, well, Layton...

I don't know if Flora got Maria Darling but she got the same actress that did the little girl in the movie I believe, I forgot her name...

Lani Minella was absent I think, even for the US release considering she's usually the one that voices US Luke, Flora and Emmy.
I wonder if she's someone who is just voices characters in video games...
hmm better look out a credits list so we can be sure

amageish

Smash Master
They're, uh, not hestiating on the sales... Hopefully they're doing okay financially, as adding Yokai Watch 4 to what was already a pretty solid set of deals seems almost desperate...

amageish

Smash Master
They should just get on the work-at-home train like Square-Enix did.

I still can't believe I actually typed that sentence.
I assume they are, as Fukuoka is one of the prefectures covered by the state of emergency, which I believe encourages everyone stay at home as much as humanly possible (though I don't think there are any penalties for violating it)?

They've been having sales like this for a while; it's just YK4 being added to it...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They're, uh, not hestiating on the sales... Hopefully they're doing okay financially, as adding Yokai Watch 4 to what was already a pretty solid set of deals seems almost desperate...
Can't really say I blame them considering how everyone is at home and buying games in droves apparently.
I guess that's partly why the eShop is having a huge sale right now too, including games like Breath of the Wild..

They should just get on the work-at-home train like Square-Enix did.

I still can't believe I actually typed that sentence.
Hopefully they will give us an update in regards to their current status soon, at least to give everyone a peace of mind...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I looked a bit through Level-5's development blog (Whatever little I can gather thanks to Google translate...)
Apparently the Inazuma Eleven game has been delayed once again to "probably 2021", I know there is this whole thing with COVID-19 and all but still, what on earth is going on over there?
If I'm not mistaken this game was announced at the same time as Lady Layton yet Inazuma Eleven fans are still waiting for the game to come out (and we thought we had it bad with the dry spells for the Layton series.....)

Though their apparently no longer focusing on the whole cross media promotions, at least not for this game, so I suppose that's good....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So I looked a bit through Level-5's development blog (Whatever little I can gather thanks to Google translate...)
Apparently the Inazuma Eleven game has been delayed once again to "probably 2021", I know there is this whole thing with COVID-19 and all but still, what on earth is going on over there?
If I'm not mistaken this game was announced at the same time as Lady Layton yet Inazuma Eleven fans are still waiting for the game to come out (and we thought we had it bad with the dry spells for the Layton series.....)

Though their apparently no longer focusing on the whole cross media promotions, at least not for this game, so I suppose that's good....
really that long? it could be their version of final fantasy versus 13

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
really that long? it could be their version of final fantasy versus 13
Or Metroid Prime 4.... I mean, development might have restarted I think.

Hopefully this won't mean that whatever other projects their working on get pushed back along with it (or as much) I don't know how much longer Level-5 can stay playing in the background like that just because of this game...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Or Metroid Prime 4.... I mean, development might have restarted I think.

Hopefully this won't mean that whatever other projects their working on get pushed back along with it (or as much) I don't know how much longer Level-5 can stay playing in the background like that just because of this game...
lets hope not, at least yo-kai watch 4 localisation will be handled by others

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
lets hope not, at least yo-kai watch 4 localisation will be handled by others
Yo-kai Watch 4 should be fine, the game is already long finished and just needs to be localized.

It's just the potential unannounced titles that may or may not be affected by this whole thing. Though they were apparently thinking of cancelling the game but decided to press on anyway due to fan feedback.

Level-5 is already under turmoil with some fans due to constant delays with Inazuma Eleven so I'm not really sure how they should handle the whole thing, though if the game is being pushed back yet again for another year, I don't know if they can really afford to be dead silent yet again..

But then again, considering how things are currently going, I suppose some further delays where probably bound to happen anyway...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yo-kai Watch 4 should be fine, the game is already long finished and just needs to be localized.

It's just the potential unannounced titles that may or may not be affected by this whole thing. Though they were apparently thinking of cancelling the game but decided to press on anyway due to fan feedback.

Level-5 is already under turmoil with some fans due to constant delays with Inazuma Eleven so I'm not really sure how they should handle the whole thing, though if the game is being pushed back yet again for another year, I don't know if they can really afford to be dead silent yet again..

But then again, considering how things are currently going, I suppose some further delays where probably bound to happen anyway...
i imagine yo-kai watch 4 is taking a while cause they decided theyd be as well just to wait and localise the updated version they had coming out. but what is going on with that inazuma eleven game? sure the latest delay is probably due to the pandemic, but what about everything else? what is happening at level-5

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i imagine yo-kai watch 4 is taking a while cause they decided theyd be as well just to wait and localise the updated version they had coming out. but what is going on with that inazuma eleven game? sure the latest delay is probably due to the pandemic, but what about everything else? what is happening at level-5
I'd imagine that we'd get the complete version of Yo-kai Watch 4, which includes the ++ version, much like we got the complete version of LMJ Deluxe without having to buy these little trinkets like they did for the Japanese version.

As for Inazuma Eleven, I have no idea, I suppose they had some ideas for the game that proved to be a tad too ambitious for the company to handle. I suppose things like keeping up with the anime tv show and all might have also brought some extra pressure on to the team, hence why Hino decided not to do that anymore so that the team can have an easier time focusing solely on the game itself rather than keeping up with deadlines of the show and merch etc.

The whole pandemic probably won't be making things any easier for them as well. Hopefully they will be able to make it through though...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd imagine that we'd get the complete version of Yo-kai Watch 4, which includes the ++ version, much like we got the complete version of LMJ Deluxe without having to buy these little trinkets like they did for the Japanese version.

As for Inazuma Eleven, I have no idea, I suppose they had some ideas for the game that proved to be a tad too ambitious for the company to handle. I suppose things like keeping up with the anime tv show and all might have also brought some extra pressure on to the team, hence why Hino decided not to do that anymore so that the team can have an easier time focusing solely on the game itself rather than keeping up with deadlines of the show and merch etc.

The whole pandemic probably won't be making things any easier for them as well. Hopefully they will be able to make it through though...
thats what i said in regards to yo-kai watch

i guess there no real way of telling

yeah lets hope they do

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to finally buy the Switch version of LMJ, but I got strangely (I mean, extremely) excited about Clubhouse Games so I postponed buying LMJ even further. It's amazing seeing all these good DS era games back on the system! Anyone else really excited for Clubhouse Games? I hope it gets at least a decent success. I really hope we can get some DLC tabletop games thrown in too: I would like games like Rummy, Snakes and Ladders, Cribbage, Go and Game of the Goose.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wanted to finally buy the Switch version of LMJ, but I got strangely (I mean, extremely) excited about Clubhouse Games so I postponed buying LMJ even further. It's amazing seeing all these good DS era games back on the system! Anyone else really excited for Clubhouse Games?
dont know of it

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I wanted to finally buy the Switch version of LMJ, but I got strangely (I mean, extremely) excited about Clubhouse Games so I postponed buying LMJ even further. It's amazing seeing all these good DS era games back on the system! Anyone else really excited for Clubhouse Games? I hope it gets at least a decent success. I really hope we can get some DLC tabletop games thrown in too: I would like games like Rummy, Snakes and Ladders, Cribbage, Go and Game of the Goose.
Yes! I'm super excited. It's an easy buy for me - the quality of a Nintendo product with 51 great board games AND online play!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Looks like it has a solid line up of tabletop games there.

It's great to see some old DS era games brought back into the limelight again, that and the Brain Training game. I believe TWEWY was brought back too although I heard the Switch version wasn't quite as good unfortunately...

Hopefully the Layton series will be able to make its way over too eventually, LMJ Deluxe is the first step I suppose.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Looks like it has a solid line up of tabletop games there.

It's great to see some old DS era games brought back into the limelight again, that and the Brain Training game. I believe TWEWY was brought back too although I heard the Switch version wasn't quite as good unfortunately...

Hopefully the Layton series will be able to make its way over too eventually, LMJ Deluxe is the first step I suppose.
oh that game

the trouble with twewy on the switch is that the touch screen controls did not translate well on to motion controls

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wonder how they would handle the Layton series on Switch since its another touch screen heavy reliant series as well.

While the Switch does have its own touch screen, it doesn't quite work the same as the DS family did, not to mention the docked mode as well.

I suppose LMJ Deluxe gave a bit of a taste of how a traditional Layton game would work, but it may also take a page from Yo-kai Watch 4's book and overhaul the gameplay entirely.

Like a Layton game much akin to Zelda, but much more heavily focused on the puzzle solving aspect, I suppose it remains to be seen...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wonder how they would handle the Layton series on Switch since its another touch screen heavy reliant series as well.

While the Switch does have its own touch screen, it doesn't quite work the same as the DS family did, not to mention the docked mode as well.

I suppose LMJ Deluxe gave a bit of a taste of how a traditional Layton game would work, but it may also take a page from Yo-kai Watch 4's book and overhaul the gameplay entirely.

Like a Layton game much akin to Zelda, but much more heavily focused on the puzzle solving aspect, I suppose it remains to be seen...
it is quite an interesting thought how they would translate it onto the switch, some of the kind of puzzles wouldnt be too hard to do, put in a cursor for the selecting part of an image ones, a keyboard for letter and number answers. but a lot of other ones would need overhauls or be retired

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
it is quite an interesting thought how they would translate it onto the switch, some of the kind of puzzles wouldnt be too hard to do, put in a cursor for the selecting part of an image ones, a keyboard for letter and number answers. but a lot of other ones would need overhauls or be retired
Oh right the cursor...

I know it's not really Level-5's fault but the Switch's joy-con drift issue has been particularly sensitive in LMJ Deluxe, Even the slightest push on the control stick makes the cursor go all over the place in that game...
Speaking of Joy con drift, has Nintendo fixed the issue for newly manufactured Joy cons yet, or does it still occur in those?

Anyway, in regards to the puzzles, I'd imagine some puzzles might be made directly interactable, depending on whether or not you can free roam in the game this time. I'd imagine that would be particularly used for sliding puzzles or puzzles where you need to go from point A to point B etc, much like how the Zelda series does its puzzles. And then others that require more direct answers would probably be handled as they always where, talk to the NPC's or explore around and you'll be given a puzzle to solve.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh right the cursor...

I know it's not really Level-5's fault but the Switch's joy-con drift issue has been particularly sensitive in LMJ Deluxe, Even the slightest push on the control stick makes the cursor go all over the place in that game...
Speaking of Joy con drift, has Nintendo fixed the issue for newly manufactured Joy cons yet, or does it still occur in those?
im afraid not, but they fixed mine for free when i sent it off

and an other one was lost in transit but i dont know if that was their fault or royal mail's

Top Bottom