• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I see, so I take it that we should expect something before then, right?

I suppose they probably want to push New Horizons until its release, but they should hopefully finally break the silence shortly after that game's out...
If Jeff's date is correct, we should expect to see it the week after New Horizons is out. Until then, nothing else to do other than play/watch stuff and wait.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In that case, watch as Nintendo's stock plummets down, because nothing must happen until June, apparently.

We should at least show the benefit of the doubt for once. It's not like we got any other actual insiders left (besides Fatman overthinking), and it still beats "random text leak from /v/". We barely get much big news for anything in the industry overall right now.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Since E3 is cancelled for this year what are they really waiting for?

I can understand waiting until New Horizons comes out but what's the point of waiting all the way until June?
i think its best to reveal some of the stuff that people can look forward to this Spring and Summer and whatever else they need to reveal that comes later can wait until a Summer Direct or something.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Since E3 is cancelled for this year what are they really waiting for?

I can understand waiting until New Horizons comes out but what's the point of waiting all the way until June?
i think its best to reveal some of the stuff that people can look forward to this Spring and Summer and whatever else they need to reveal that comes later can wait until a Summer Direct or something.
We just don't know if that'll be the case yet, since we got some odd coincidences lately this month.

First we had Ninty's playlist being updated, next we had Game inadvertently bringing up a non-existent Direct announcement during the Lego Mario news reveal, and now some insider guy outright claims a specific date for a direct, following a supposed Nindies next week.

I just want to know what the hell is going on here, and we can't do anything about it but wait and see. This feels like an odd puzzle Hershell could solve.

Art by Totototo0507
D-NbyNXVUAEGfoN.jpg

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Anyway, I suppose Ring Fit got spirited today, I guess their probably going to continue mostly focusing on third parties as the last pass.
Ya think Level-5 will be able to manage to get a character in there?
I mean... Maybe? I can't think of another third-party with as close of a relationship Level-5 has with Nintendo with nothing in Smash. Koei just has Fatal Frame, which is co-owned with Nintendo, but that's still more then the nothing Level-5 has...

In that case, watch as Nintendo's stock plummets down, because nothing must happen until June, apparently.
Not that things have been too hot on the stock market front anyway...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We just don't know if that'll be the case yet, since we got some odd coincidences lately this month.

First we had Ninty's playlist being updated, next we had Game inadvertently bringing up a non-existent Direct announcement during the Lego Mario news reveal, and now some insider guy outright claims a specific date for a direct, following a supposed Nindies next week.

I just want to know what the hell is going on here, and we can't do anything about it but wait and see. This feels like an odd puzzle Hershell could solve.

Art by Totototo0507
I suppose only time will tell.

Its funny how much of a meme the thinking pose has become while Hershel and Phoenix have been doing it for years.
I suppose its more unusual for these guys to do it...

I mean... Maybe? I can't think of another third-party with as close of a relationship Level-5 has with Nintendo with nothing in Smash. Koei just has Fatal Frame, which is co-owned with Nintendo, but that's still more then the nothing Level-5 has...
Well its nice to know that NoE will always have our back at least..

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Well that and the Nintendo characters hub that they still update to this day.

I think NoA has some Yo-Kai Watch stuff too.

I don't know as much about NoJ asides from Shigeru Miyamoto, Satoru Shibata and the late Satoru Iwata respecting the Layton series and all.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only other noteworthy company I can think of with nothing in smash is Natsume, although admittedly I can't think about them getting any particular vouching.
Metabee from the Medabots series would be amazing to see from them, although his chances are admittedly very low unfortunately.

They've got Harvest Moon I suppose, although I guess the entity that people are most familiar with is with Marvelous now as Story of Seasons I think..

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Metabee from the Medabots series would be amazing to see from them, although his chances are admittedly very low unfortunately.

They've got Harvest Moon I suppose, although I guess the entity that people are most familiar with is with Marvelous now as Story of Seasons I think..
I occasionally think about how fun it'd be to have Clint/Annie from Wild Guns, although I'm not sure if a remake/remaster's enough for them to qualify.

amageish

Smash Master
Well its nice to know that NoE will always have our back at least..

Well that and the Nintendo characters hub that they still update to this day.
Woo Nintendo of Europe! That's something, at least...

The only other noteworthy company I can think of with nothing in smash is Natsume, although admittedly I can't think about them getting any particular vouching.
Problem is that Natsume doesn't tend to own that many active IPs. They localize other companies' stuff in English and do a lot of co-developing/licensing in Japan...

Hey, they do own Medabots if nothing else! Woo!

Given how Natsume's Harvest Moon is not released in Japan, I think we can say with 100% certainty it wouldn't get in. They'd definitely use Bokujō Monogatari (formerly known as Harvest Moon and now known as Story of Seasons) if anything.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I suppose its really just Level-5 that's left as far as Japanese companies without any owned content goes? Or at least probably the most notable one left.

I guess we'll see what happens in due time. If we do wind up getting a Direct, hopefully they will at least tease the next fighter there.

>Imagine having to wait for 1377 more newcomer inclusions before we finally get Layton in Smash...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good news, Snack World got a price reduction of 10 bucks for new copies, at least in my area. Seems they might have adjusted their expectations a bit.

I guess we'll see what happens in due time. If we do wind up getting a Direct, hopefully they will at least tease the next fighter there.

>Imagine having to wait for 1377 more newcomer inclusions before we finally get Layton in Smash...
That seems likely, as the first quarter of this year is done after the next couple of weeks or so, getting closer to the Dec. 2021 deadline.

I wouldn't expect bots to do accurate probability calculations. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Good news, Snack World got a price reduction of 10 bucks for new copies, at least in my area. Seems they might have adjusted their expectations a bit.

That seems likely, as the first quarter of this year is done after the next couple of weeks or so, getting closer to the Dec. 2021 deadline.

I wouldn't expect bots to do accurate probability calculations. :p
Oh wow, that sounds good. I know in Japan their doing a huge sale for that game as well as LMJ DX and Yo-Kai Watch + Ni No Kuni. I guess they went out to do some price cuts for the west too.

Hopefully we don't have to literally wait until December 2021 for everything though, then again, with some of the recent events that have been going on, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised if there are some bumps on the road...

Yeah, heh,
I'm sure we'll see him eventually during our lifetimes. Hopefully...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh wow, that sounds good. I know in Japan their doing a huge sale for that game as well as LMJ DX and Yo-Kai Watch + Ni No Kuni. I guess they went out to do some price cuts for the west too.

Hopefully we don't have to literally wait until December 2021 for everything though, then again, with some of the recent events that have been going on, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised if there are some bumps on the road...

Yeah, heh,
I'm sure we'll see him eventually during our lifetimes. Hopefully...
Digital events won't be affected, since at least this time it's not an event that physically wrecks cities like in the September 2018 incident, even cancelled an official announcement for Cities: Skyline DLC because of that very reason. The most damage it'll be is having to do Directs everywhere, with no conventions.

For Nintendo, it's business as usual.

imagesdirects.jpg

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton's world confirmed to be a parallel universe, not necessarily a specific time period.
Deepest lore.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose its more like how Zelda does things and just takes in elements from all time periods to create its own world.

Hopefully we won't have to deal with any split timeline shenanigans though...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If their trying to milk the series their doing a pretty shoddy job at it considering the drought...

I wouldn't mind seeing an anime adaptation for the original series at least.
Surely the LMJ anime did well enough for that?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well he did delay Inazuma Eleven a few times to make sure the game turns out well, so maybe?

Its really just Yo-Kai Watch where they are still trying to recapture its initial boom for some reason.

I think after the overambitious failure of Snack World they've been taking a few steps back but what do I know...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I suppose its more like how Zelda does things and just takes in elements from all time periods to create its own world.

Hopefully we won't have to deal with any split timeline shenanigans though...
theres nothing wrong with a split timeline

at least as far as zelda is concerned

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's just Aonuma that's evidently too afraid of using a negative continuity and obsessively wants everything to be connected, even though rarely any of the Links and Zeldas return more than once.

...Except the CDI games, which aren't even legally owned by Nintendo anyway.

Meanwhile Layton really only changed up its cast at least once or twice, so there's much less reason to reboot the story.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Actually, there is a proven pattern of a general direct airing a week or two after a Nindies. Would be silly to have two kinds of directs in the same week, honestly.

Also, with this Nindies, we just went through every kind of Direct and presentation under the sun this year, short of a regular one.

I honestly wonder if Koizumi will be hosting the next regular one, since I understand that NOA has other matters to deal with right now.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Isn't Zelda's timeline the most infamous of the bunch?
Especially with a third "what if" branch?

I suppose it depends on how they would approach such a thing..
i dont really see what the problem with zelda's timeline is

itd be a little odd for layton to have a branched timeline after
time travel turned out to be an elevator

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actually, there is a proven pattern of a general direct airing a week or two after a Nindies. Would be silly to have two kinds of directs in the same week, honestly.

Also, with this Nindies, we just went through every kind of Direct and presentation under the sun this year, short of a regular one.

I honestly wonder if Koizumi will be hosting the next regular one, since I understand that NOA has other matters to deal with right now.
He probably will, it seems to be his gig now that the late Iwata isn't around anymore to host them, as well as Reggie and Shibata having left their respective positions for other things.

Hopefully they will announce the next fighter there.

i dont really see what the problem with zelda's timeline is

itd be a little odd for layton to have a branched timeline after
time travel turned out to be an elevator
Just ask the Zelda community I guess, it's more their forte anyway...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I think we don’t need to worry too much about the whole “alternative timeline” thing, mainly it’s just a way to explain the stylistic anachronisms of the setting. Basically the settings sometimes use the real world locations but it’s definitely not the real world.
- - - -
Also I found this tier list maker for Professor Layton characters.
https://tiermaker.com/create/professor-layton---main-characters-77312

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think we don’t need to worry too much about the whole “alternative timeline” thing, mainly it’s just a way to explain the stylistic anachronisms of the setting. Basically the settings sometimes use the real world locations but it’s definitely not the real world.
- - - -
Also I found this tier list maker for Professor Layton characters.
https://tiermaker.com/create/professor-layton---main-characters-77312
I thought it was more about explaining the intricate things in regards to technology and why things like the London Eye is missing...
...and why there are things like the robots in Curious Village...
...making fans speculate at what time period the series takes place and all.

But yeah, that might be partly why as well.

And that's neat, would be fun to mess with.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Layton's world confirmed to be a parallel universe, not necessarily a specific time period.

Deepest lore.
Was this in the artbook or something? As I feel like I knew this already and don't know why... It definitely makes sense though, as it's basically steampunk-ish Victorian-ish London ft. some modern and some future tech.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Was this in the artbook or something? As I feel like I knew this already and don't know why... It definitely makes sense though, as it's basically steampunk-ish Victorian-ish London ft. some modern and some future tech.
I think they had commented on the series rough time placement in one of the books somewhere. Might be worth looking into.

Overall though, yeah, it's probably more of a mix between various time periods. If I recall, it was also stated that man already went to outer space prior to Lost Future.

So yeah, the series is more so in is own parallel universe putting in various technological advances from past, present and future into one. Might be interesting if they explored that aspect of the series more..

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Honestly never thought Layton took place in Victorian times, the Cars are a big giveaway.
Then again I didn't really think it was Steampunk influenced either until Unwound Future.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly never thought Layton took place in Victorian times, the Cars are a big giveaway.
Then again I didn't really think it was Steampunk influenced either until Unwound Future.
i used to think fifties, cant remember when i abandoned that thought

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've never noticed any anachronisms in the Layton games but they probably just slipped past me. The games definitely feel like they take place in a more heightened version of the UK, like a foreigner's perception of British quaintness.

amageish

Smash Master
I think they had commented on the series rough time placement in one of the books somewhere. Might be worth looking into.

Overall though, yeah, it's probably more of a mix between various time periods. If I recall, it was also stated that man already went to outer space prior to Lost Future.

So yeah, the series is more so in is own parallel universe putting in various technological advances from past, present and future into one. Might be interesting if they explored that aspect of the series more..
Okay, I took out my copy of The World of Professor Layton. Here's Art Director Jun Suzuki's response to the question "Why did you pick London as Professor Layton's home? What year is supposed to be anyway?".

I believe we picked London because Professor Layton was originally inspired by Sherlock Holmes. I'd say Professor Layton's London is based on London from around the 1960s, though we tried to not restrict ourselves too much in terms of the era because the series does have a lot of fantasy elements to it. In order to make sure that those fantastical elements do not feel out of place, we approached mecha designs and the like with a somewhat retro flavour.
So, that's that I guess. I guess I just thought of it as Victorian-ish due to the Conan-Doyle influences, but we're meant to be the steampunk-ish 60s.

Also, Hino commented "unofficially" that Flora's post-Unwound-Future whereabouts involved "climbing the steps to adulthood by herself," which doesn't provide a satisfying explanation for why she's been missing from all the current media...

Top Bottom