• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It seems like most of these new spirits revolve around games that have released on Switch, wether its new entries or ports.

I'm not as sure on the River City one but I believe I heard something related to it happened around its release...

I suppose we probably won't be seeing anything Layton related on the Spirit Board for a while, at least until Level-5 finally announces a new entry.
Though I suppose a spirit event based off LMJ Deluxe is still a possibility.

For now, I think the most likely Level-5 related spirits may either be Snack World since it came out in the west pretty recently or the new Inazuma Eleven game (if that ever comes out in Japan...)
or a belayed yo-kai watch 4 one

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
or a belayed yo-kai watch 4 one
That too, ++...

There's been quite a few opportunities for Level-5 spirits hm?

Also I suppose that's another new company added to the growing list.

As for spirit events in general, they seem to mostly go for more low profile franchises, at least it's been awhile since we got something on the level of Resident Evil thrown in... (Unless you count the likes of Astral Chain and Cuphead I suppose)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That too, ++...

There's been quite a few opportunities for Level-5 spirits hm?

Also I suppose that's another new company added to the growing list.

As for spirit events in general, they seem to mostly go for more low profile franchises, at least it's been awhile since we got something on the level of Resident Evil thrown in... (Unless you count the likes of Astral Chain and Cuphead I suppose)
well the astral chain one was a bit of a blow to the people who supported the main character

amageish

Smash Master
It seems like most of these new spirits revolve around games that have released on Switch, wether its new entries or ports.

I'm not as sure on the River City one but I believe I heard something related to it happened around its release...

I suppose we probably won't be seeing anything Layton related on the Spirit Board for a while, at least until Level-5 finally announces a new entry.
Though I suppose a spirit event based off LMJ Deluxe is still a possibility.

For now, I think the most likely Level-5 related spirits may either be Snack World since it came out in the west pretty recently or the new Inazuma Eleven game (if that ever comes out in Japan...)
Mostly, though Warframe has been on Switch since, like, 2018? I don't know if it's having any events in that game that has made it more relevant though. Astral Chain was also pretty delayed from its release, though it's not like they would have to hurry to include first-party characters.

As for River City, a River City Collection was confirmed for Switch a week or two afterward...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I decided to look up what alternate costumes Layton could potentially have. I think these are all the alternate outfits he's canonically had worn in the series if I'm not mistaken, which one would you like to see him wear?
Also I thought of a neat little scenario for World of Light if that returns in the next game or Sakurai decides to do an updated Deluxe version that includes all DLC for Ultimate with some extra content or something. Spoilers for one of the game's though.

One of the special locations you could visit is either St.Mystere or Mist Hallery, you could unlock characters there that have their roots in puzzle games like Dr. Mario, Arle and of course Layton, with a lot of Layton series and/or puzzle game related spirit battles.
You meet up with Stachenscarfen as he tells you to find a number of machine parts in order to take on Galleem (or Darkhon) as you solve your way to gather them all, one of the last parts you curiously come across a spirit battle with Stachenscarfen, as you return to Stachen with the last part you are asked whether you would give him the last part or not.

It is then revealed that Stachen was Descole in disguise all along and that he was building the machine from Last Specter the whole time and that's where the boss battle will begin. If you give him the last machine part, you end up fighting Descole while he's controlling the giant robot, if not then you have to battle Descole himself.

Later on when fighting Darkhon + Galleem and have to go through the whole boss rush section, you will have to take on both the machine and Descole, much like the Dracula boss battle, during Classic boss battles you have to fight both as well.

Just thought that might be a fun little thing they could do if WoL returns, or something like it I suppose.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So I decided to look up what alternate costumes Layton could potentially have. I think these are all the alternate outfits he's canonically had worn in the series if I'm not mistaken, which one would you like to see him wear?
id like him to wear all of them, but seeing as thats probably unlikely ill go for lost future younger layton

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Really wish Smash outfits were more focused on changing their attire then the color (i.e Villagers alts for example, Mario's Wedding outfit etc) Most of the characters were such missed opportunity with the amount of alternative costumes they've had over the years.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Really wish Smash outfits were more focused on changing their attire then the color (i.e Villagers alts for example, Mario's Wedding outfit etc) Most of the characters were such missed opportunity with the amount of alternative costumes they've had over the years.
there are indeed a fair number of missed outfit opportunities, but i imagine it is for space saving measures

amageish

Smash Master
Solid collection! I feel like the flat cap is the one that would be easiest to implement? The other two top hot costumes can be represented fairly adequately represented via colourations.....

I am kind of surprised they sell Mii Costumes, but not elaborate costumes for other characters... I feel like it'd be pretty easy to sell people on them?

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
So I just finished Unwound Future...and I'm still not sure what to make of it. I'll get my feelings down in the next post I write.
I'd agree though it's the best of the trilogy, if I'd rank them I'd say Unwound Future>Curious Village>Diabolical Box.

How's the prequel trilogy?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So I just finished Unwound Future...and I'm still not sure what to make of it. I'll get my feelings down in the next post I write.
I'd agree though it's the best of the trilogy, if I'd rank them I'd say Unwound Future>Curious Village>Diabolical Box.

I think most people I’ve talked to prefer the original trilogy over the prequels. I do like the prequel triology and I especially like Emmy, Layton’s assistant in the prequels.

Also the Layton movie is pretty solid and competent video game movie, it’s set during the prequel time period, so you’d probably need to play Last Specter/Spectre’s Call to be introduced to the supporting characters.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
For the most part I prefer the prequels to the originals, granted I think Miracle mask is my least favorite out of the 6 of them but Last specter is my favorite.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

General opinion tends to be that most people tend to prefer the original trilogy over the prequels, that being said, the prequels does still have its fans too.

The supporting cast is treated with more respect, rather than pushing them aside in favor of giving Layton and Luke most of the screentime, so thats a plus for it.
Some feel that the overall storyline might have been a tad too overambitious than it could handle though, especially for a prequel story.

If you enjoyed the original trilogy enough then sure, give the prequels a look. The movie is pretty good too and one of the more enjoyable videogame based movies out there as well. Its canon to the series too, so its worth a watch if you want to follow the storyline, which is a bit more connected in the prequels compared to the original trilogy.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

if you liked the first trilogy youll probably like the second

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
So...
Honestly I wish they'd gone all in with the Time Travel stuff, instead of another "there's a perfectly natural explanation guys" like CV and DB before it. Clive being able to build a pseudo-London underneath the real London was a huge stretch even compared to the previous twists in past games. Of course the only explanation they had for it the end was Clive ending up inheriting the money of a wealthy women who adopted him, then having a vendetta after his parents dying in the Time Travel accident. Honestly, I'm so conflicted about the rest of it, I thought the ending was sad but more so over seeing Layton suffer then Claire/Celeste going back. I wish they'd had more interactions between her and Layton, I wasn't as connected to her as a character when they told us she was Claire's long lost sister. Why? It just ends up being a roadblock for us and Layton before the twist at the end, why would Claire even lie about that? Just to tell him before scraming in less then 15 minutes afterwards? I don't think the writers were thinking too much about it.I'll write more later.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So...
Honestly I wish they'd gone all in with the Time Travel stuff, instead of another "there's a perfectly natural explanation guys" like CV and DB before it. Clive being able to build a pseudo-London underneath the real London was a huge stretch even compared to the previous twists in past games. Of course the only explanation they had for it the end was Clive ending up inheriting the money of a wealthy women who adopted him, then having a vendetta after his parents dying in the Time Travel accident. Honestly, I'm so conflicted about the rest of it, I thought the ending was sad but more so over seeing Layton suffer then Claire/Celeste going back. I wish they'd had more interactions between her and Layton, I wasn't as connected to her as a character when they told us she was Claire's long lost sister. Why? It just ends up being a roadblock for us and Layton before the twist at the end, why would Claire even lie about that? Just to tell him before scraming in less then 15 minutes afterwards? I don't think the writers were thinking too much about it.I'll write more later.
i can understand why you would feel conflicted towards clive, but i think we can all agree bill hawks was the worst

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I am probably one of the few who actually prefers the prequel trilogy as a whole compared to the original trilogy, so I guess there will be some bias in my answer, but I can try to explain what it has going for it:

Unlike the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy feels more connected with each passing game. There are more overarching/unifying mysteries that are built up with each passing game (and movie since Eternal Diva is part of the trilogy). Some fans says the prequel trilogy feels like one large game because of it. I'd say this is easily the prequel trilogy's strongest point. The cliffhangers and mysteries left behind as each game finishes will make you want to jump straight into the next one.

Another highlight of the prequel trilogy is Jean Descole. As Don Paolo was to the original trilogy, Jean Descole is to the prequel trilogy: that is, the trilogy's main antagonist. Unlike the antagonistic yet rather comical Don Paolo, Jean Descole is much more sinister and mysterious villain in his demeanor and goals. He also makes a very good foil to our favorite Professor. Both act calm most of the time, but Layton will know to keep his cool when things don't go as planned, whereas Descole is more prone to anger when things don't get his way. Both are masterful inventors, but whereas Layton uses his inventions for good, Descole uses his inventions for evil (as well as to further his goals). You learn more about Descole's character with each passing game, but I'd say it's the movie where he shines the most.

The prequel trilogy also does a solid job fleshing out the supporting cast with each game, to the point you can feel how integral they are to the given game's story. Arianna, Randal, and Henry are some of my favorite characters from the prequel trilogy because of the spotlight they are given.

I guess the main issue with the prequel trilogy lies in the way it all pays off by the last game. You can feel the developers were definitely being ambitious by Azran Legacy, but the way how some of plot elements/mysteries pay off don't feel as grand as they were made out to be. It's a bit hard to explain without going into spoilers, so I'll just leave it that.

In all, I definitely would recommend playing the prequel trilogy because it has its fair share of great characters, an intriguing villain, and some very memorable plot twists. Be sure you watch the Layton movie, Eternal Diva, after finishing Last Specter too, since Miracle Mask actually references some of the key events that happen in the movie. The movie itself is pretty good for reasons others have already mentioned.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Brindor's main issue lies more on the twists and how ridiculous some of them can be.
If you think that the original trilogy was already crazy, the prequels are pretty much going to go all Legend of Zelda on you (literally on certain occasions)

Which is probably why they tried to tone things down for LMJ (although perhaps a bit too much on the other extreme I suppose...)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Pretty much, but it does bother some people I suppose.
For a series that has NPC's like this guy roaming around and living a happy life without agony...

It's probably for the best to not take absolutely everything at complete face value...
certainly not in a series prone to extreme twists

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, anyone else hoping the rest of the Layton games get posted to the Switch?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, anyone else hoping the rest of the Layton games get posted to the Switch?
Just anything Layton related (asides from LMJ Deluxe) on Switch would be nice about now...

I suppose activity in general is kind of slowing to a crawl, probably due to the whole Coronavirus thing.
I think Level-5 was one of the companies that where planning to bring their games over to China if I recall...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm just so bored with this drought. Some new information would be really appreciated

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nice to see the Layton Twitter is still posting, would like to see some actual news eventually though.
>When the only official Layton series related outlet currently active is a Twitter account.

Don't leave us Layton Series Twitteeeer......

Oh well, at least its nice they bring up some fun little trivia every once in a while.
Didn't really pay close enough attention to Luke's notebook to realize that it was a gift from Hershel, that's sweet.

The Twitter account is probably the closest indicator that Level-5 hasn't left the series be yet and that we might be hearing more from them sooner or later, hopefully...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
how long have we been saying that now?
A couple months. I never said that it would happen immediately...
Asides from that, Level-5 did do that cafe collab in Japan the other day where they promoted the series alongside Inazuma Eleven and Yo-Kai Watch.

We're probably not going to be hearing anything game related from them until that Inazuma Eleven game finally comes out in Japan...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A couple months. I never said that it would happen immediately...
Asides from that, Level-5 did do that cafe collab in Japan the other day where they promoted the series alongside Inazuma Eleven and Yo-Kai Watch.

We're probably not going to be hearing anything game related from them until that Inazuma Eleven game finally comes out in Japan...
i know you didnt say it, i was just wondering how long itd had been. does feel like a while since we had any major news though i suppose not getting the hd port will make it seem longer

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i know you didnt say it, i was just wondering how long itd had been. does feel like a while since we had any major news though i suppose not getting the hd port will make it seem longer
I hope we get Lost Future HD eventually, I'm pretty much holding out on replaying the game so I can re experience it again in HD...

To be fair, Nintendo themselves have also been quite tight lipped in terms of their upcoming projects lately.
I wonder if their doing like Level-5 and waiting until Animal Crossing New Horizons comes out first before they announce any new upcoming projects...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I hope we get Lost Future HD eventually, I'm pretty much holding out on replaying the game so I can re experience it again in HD...

To be fair, Nintendo themselves have also been quite tight lipped in terms of their upcoming projects lately.
I wonder if their doing like Level-5 and waiting until Animal Crossing New Horizons comes out first before they announce any new upcoming projects...
thats true, we dont know much about what nintendo's up to, 6 smash packs, metroid prime 4, pikmin 4 was announced a while ago, botw 2 and sword and shield dlc. cant think of anything else off the top of my head. with level-5 just izumi 11 and (hopefully) an english version of yo-kai watch 4. i would be nice to hear some tid bits soon

oh xenoblade port, knew i forgot something

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
thats true, we dont know much about what nintendo's up to, 6 smash packs, metroid prime 4, pikmin 4 was announced a while ago, botw 2 and sword and shield dlc. cant think of anything else off the top of my head. with level-5 just izumi 11 and (hopefully) an english version of yo-kai watch 4. i would be nice to hear some tid bits soon

oh xenoblade port, knew i forgot something
Asides from some game DLC and some ports/remakes. We really only know of Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2 who's release windows are TBA, so all we have currently from Nintendo's front is Animal Crossing which will be out in a couple of weeks.

Likewise Level-5 has some mobile games and game localizations to go through, their current major release, Inazuma Eleven Heroes, is supposed to come out sometime this Spring in Japan if I'm not mistaken.

But yeah once those upcoming major releases are out of the way, its pretty much anyone's guess what else they got in store...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Asides from some game DLC and some ports/remakes. We really only know of Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2 who's release windows are TBA, so all we have currently from Nintendo's front is Animal Crossing which will be out in a couple of weeks.

Likewise Level-5 has some mobile games and game localizations to go through, their current major release, Inazuma Eleven Heroes, is supposed to come out sometime this Spring in Japan if I'm not mistaken.

But yeah once those upcoming major releases are out of the way, its pretty much anyone's guess what else they got in store...
no wonder everyones desperate for a direct

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Seems like Level-5 is going to do a "Play Now" campaign for 4 of their Switch titles in Japan next week. LMJ Deluxe is one of the 4 games going on sale.

I don't know if they will be doing one for the west as well soon but might be worth keeping an eye on...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Seems like Level-5 is going to do a "Play Now" campaign for 4 of their Switch titles in Japan next week. LMJ Deluxe is one of the 4 games going on sale.

I don't know if they will be doing one for the west as well soon but might be worth keeping an eye on...
i can think of three switch level-5 games after that im drawing a blank

Top Bottom