• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
huh the one i forgot was the one i played, embarrassing
Yeah that one's out as well.

I suppose it might be a tad too early to do a sale with Snack World, but I suppose Level-5 got at least three games out in the West for Switch currently.

In Japan they got a bit more out though I suppose. Does Yo-Kai Watch 4 have a Western release yet?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And maybe one day his masterpieces will get to be featured in Smash too...

I probably asked this before, but what's your favourite Layton series songs? Generally speaking, it doesn't necessarily have to fit Smash's atmosphere.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I probably asked this before, but what's your favourite Layton series songs? Generally speaking, it doesn't necessarily have to fit Smash's atmosphere.
favourite layton song huh? hmm the ones that stick out in my memory the most are the prof's theme, desocle's theme and the original puzzle theme so them i suppose

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

It's gotta be the Professor's theme. That tweet mentions the composer built the soundtrack around the accordion and it shows, such an amazing, hauntingly mysterious song. I agree that it totally sounds like a picture book!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kass’ Theme and Terry’s Pasta song give me serious Layton vibes, it’s like I can almost hear Tomohito Nishiura’s music in smash already.

in terms of favorite songs, Curtain of Night and Folsense theme for me.
His songs are so engraved into my mind to the point that pretty much any song with an accordion (especially if violins and pianos are thrown into the mix) makes me think of the Layton series.

Which is why every time Yoko Shimomura composes another song with an accordion in Smash only makes me want to see Layton join the battle all the more.

I feel like Tomohito Nishiura made that instrument pretty iconic to the series, much like how the Ocarina is often associated with the Zelda series and all, but maybe that's just me..

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
His songs are so engraved into my mind to the point that pretty much any song with an accordion (especially if violins and pianos are thrown into the mix) makes me think of the Layton series.

Which is why every time Yoko Shimomura composes another song with an accordion in Smash only makes me want to see Layton in join the battle all the more.

I feel like Tomohito Nishiura made that instrument pretty iconic to the series, much like how the Ocarina is often associated with the Zelda series and all, but maybe that just me..
Heh, good to see I'm not the only one who instantly associates the accordion with the Layton games.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Heh, good to see I'm not the only one who instantly associates the accordion with the Layton games.
Its quite something, even with some songs on Youtube you can find some people mentioning the Layton series with any videogame based songs that make use of the Accordion.

Which I suppose makes sense due to how heavily the series uses that instrument in its games, Even Smash with its 900+ songs from all sorts of different composers and franchises only uses that instrument a handful of times.

Nishiura wanted to give the series its own unique identity and atmosphere and I think he did pretty well on that front imo.

Last edited:

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Ayy, Professor Layton made it one way or another in Backseat Game Development's latest video:

If you didn't know already, the channel released a video a few days back trying to predict the characters of the Fighter's Pass 2 using rather... "ratchet" mathematics. The video I linked is a sequel of sorts that's trying to close up any loopholes and impracticalities that make certain characters 100% unlikely to get in Smash due to the oh-so-perfect math. It's an absolutely bonkers video, but one that's rather entertaining, especially if you love math. There's no calculus or number theory or mathematical structures in here, but still. I'd give it a watch.

Anyway, the sequel to the video recognizes Professor Layton (at around the 3:40 mark), and while - unfortunately, I should add - the video shortly goes on to say that Professor Layton is very unlikely to be in the next Pass (again, due to the first video's "math"), I'm still very glad that, at the end of the day, Professor Layton is at least seen as a viable character in Smash by quite a number of people, even if it's only from a YouTube channel. I haven't watched the entirety of the video yet, but I just wanted to post it here for anyone who is interested, wants a laugh, or just wants to be happy seeing that more people talk about Professor Layton potentially being a Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ayy, Professor Layton made it one way or another in Backseat Game Development's latest video:

If you didn't know already, the channel released a video a few days back trying to predict the characters of the Fighter's Pass 2 using rather... "ratchet" mathematics. The video I linked is a sequel of sorts that's trying to close up any loopholes and impracticalities that make certain characters 100% unlikely to get in Smash due to the oh-so-perfect math. It's an absolutely bonkers video, but one that's rather entertaining, especially if you love math. There's no calculus or number theory or mathematical structures in here, but still. I'd give it a watch.

Anyway, the sequel to the video recognizes Professor Layton (at around the 3:40 mark), and while - unfortunately, I should add - the video shortly goes on to say that Professor Layton is very unlikely to be in the next Pass (again, due to the first video's "math"), I'm still very glad that, at the end of the day, Professor Layton is at least seen as a viable character in Smash by quite a number of people, even if it's only from a YouTube channel. I haven't watched the entirety of the video yet, but I just wanted to post it here for anyone who is interested, wants a laugh, or just wants to be happy seeing that more people talk about Professor Layton potentially being a Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter.
Well at least this one didn't mention Phoenix as to why Layton would be "unlikely"...

Seems to be a pretty funny and silly video (Imagine trying to predict Masahiro Sakurai through Math's and Science, heh...)

It would be nice to see a fairly big Youtuber fully backing up Layton seriously though, Scott the Woz did try I suppose but he kind of messed that up...

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Hold up, I think I'm gonna learn how to play an accordion to play Professor Layton songs. I sometimes forgot it's like a much harder piano with airbags in it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

wait someone tried to use maths to predict sakurai? theyre in for a shock

Hold up, I think I'm gonna learn how to play an accordion to play Professor Layton songs. I sometimes forgot it's like a much harder piano with airbags in it.
i remember having a similar thought with the ocarina and zelda, i hope you fair better with your plan

amageish

Smash Master

Layton's theme itself is pretty especially. I especially loved when it turned up in the crossover, as it always accompanied Layton explaining something in the courtroom and felt surprisingly epic in a laid-back way.

Unwound Future has my favourite main theme, I think. I also really like vocal song The Eternal Diva from... the Eternal Diva. Descole's pipe organ also definitely deserves a shout-out.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Just wondering for the regulars of this thread, where does Layton place in your list of most wanted characters?

For me Professor Layton in my most wanted, with Phoenix as a close 2nd, but what about y'all?

amageish

Smash Master
Just wondering for the regulars of this thread, where does Layton place in your list of most wanted characters?

For me Professor Layton in my most wanted, with Phoenix as a close 2nd, but what about y'all?
Currently my #1 most wanted. He was second to Robin during Sm4sh speculation and second to Joker for Ultimate, but those pipedream hopes worked out pretty well for me.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I don't do lists, but if I did Layton would place pretty high in it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Same here, Layton and Phoenix are pretty much my biggest priorities, they are in my opinion both some of the biggest glaring absences from Ultimate as far as any acknowledgement in general goes from these two franchises. Once their in I'd be pretty much satisfied with Ultimate or maybe Smash as a whole.

That's just me though.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

He's been most wanted since Smash 4!

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Mama>Layton>Wright in that order

Since there's an overlap of fans between all 3 franchises, I propose we call ourselves "The DS 3" after the Big Three from the Sm4sh days.

Think about it, if it caught on it would increase the support for all 3 characters tremendously, what's more it would generate Fan Art and help the overlooked DS era potentially get a rep for once that's not from Pokémon!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Since there's an overlap of fans between all 3 franchises, I propose we call ourselves "The DS 3" after the Big Three from the Sm4sh days.

Think about it, if it caught on it would increase the support for all 3 characters tremendously, what's more it would generate Fan Art and help the overlooked DS era potentially get a rep for once that's not from Pokémon!
Sounds like a plan, I'd suppose some Neku fans would want to join in too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

to be fair there are other nintendo eras that are far more over looked

although theres probably good reasons for them

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
to be fair there are other nintendo eras that are far more over looked
There is literally only one playable character though, and a Pokemon at that... :ultlucario:

What other era's are as overlooked as the DS asides from the Wii U and Switch I suppose?
Although those are kind of understandable as the former didn't bring in too many new games/IP's due to its very short life and support and the latter only just recently turning three years old and just now getting its first character..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There is literally only one playable character though, and a Pokemon at that... :ultlucario:

What other era's are as overlooked as the DS asides from the Wii U and Switch I suppose?
Although those are kind of understandable as the former didn't bring in too many new games/IP's due to its very short life and support and the latter only just recently turning three years old and just now getting its first character..
well there's the virtual boy (commercial failure)
the sattleview (co owned with a third party company)
the pre nes arcade era (unless you count all the arcade games as a whole)
the colour tv games (not very character driven)

like i said they had good reason

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Well at least this one didn't mention Phoenix as to why Layton would be "unlikely"...

Seems to be a pretty funny and silly video (Imagine trying to predict Masahiro Sakurai through Math's and Science, heh...)

It would be nice to see a fairly big Youtuber fully backing up Layton seriously though ...
Yeah, it's just a silly prediction video, although as a math nerd I thought the math was pretty cool. The video is also very well done, and the creator isn't biased when it comes to choosing his predictions. Like he says, he works with the math and nothing else. I'm just glad he recognized Layton is all, really.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well there's the virtual boy (commercial failure)
the sattleview (co owned with a third party company)
the pre nes arcade era (unless you count all the arcade games as a whole)
the colour tv games (not very character driven)

like i said they had good reason
I'm not sure if I would really include something like the Satellaview as its own era since it was more of an add on to the Super Famicom if I recall, might as well include the 64DD in that case I suppose.
The arcade's have quite a few characters in there I believe, especially if you include third parties.
The Virtual Boy Nintendo seems to treat more as a meme these day's. I think its unironically also the only console present in Ultimate at the Gamer stage (Unless you count those buildings shaped like Nintendo consoles in WoL I suppose.) Not sure what kind of games it had that stand out though...

As far as Nintendo's main console and handheld lineups go, I think the DS did get quite the short end of the stick though, playable character wise, especially since its pretty much Nintendo's most successful system of all time.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Harry from Teleroboxer is pretty much it, as far as noteworthy characters from the Virtual Boy go. Unless you count the Jack Bros, anyway.

Meanwhile, the DS relied on a lot of gimmick games that sometimes were one-shot, so you didn't have too much in the way of character-driven ones unless you went the third-party route. This hurt the Ouendan/EBA series in particular, since that relied on a lot of licensed songs.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Harry from Teleroboxer is pretty much it, as far as noteworthy characters from the Virtual Boy go. Unless you count the Jack Bros, anyway.
Just looked him up, gosh for a second I thought that was Geno...
Meanwhile, the DS relied on a lot of gimmick games that sometimes were one-shot, so you didn't have too much in the way of character-driven ones unless you went the third-party route. This hurt the Ouendan/EBA series in particular, since that relied on a lot of licensed songs.
I think third parties pretty much helped define the DS outside of the likes of of Nintendogs and Brain age etc. Much like the SNES which was also well known for its third party support.

Considering Smash has been going all out with third parties these days. I don't see why we can't have at least one character from the DS era in there...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure if I would really include something like the Satellaview as its own era since it was more of an add on to the Super Famicom if I recall, might as well include the 64DD in that case I suppose.
The arcade's have quite a few characters in there I believe, especially if you include third parties.
The Virtual Boy Nintendo seems to treat more as a meme these day's. I think its unironically also the only console present in Ultimate at the Gamer stage (Unless you count those buildings shaped like Nintendo consoles in WoL I suppose.) Not sure what kind of games it had that stand out though...

As far as Nintendo's main console and handheld lineups go, I think the DS did get quite the short end of the stick though, playable character wise, especially since its pretty much Nintendo's most successful system of all time.
like i said they all their reasons for not being included

I think third parties pretty much helped define the DS outside of the likes of of Nintendogs and Brain age etc. Much like the SNES which was also well known for its third party support.

Considering Smash has been going all out with third parties these days. I don't see why we can't have at least one character from the DS era in there...
perhaps sakurais just bias against it

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Come now, Meteos didn't do that poorly did it....?

A bit odd it never appeared in Smash though..
well its third party isnt it? could be a bit of a fiddly licence for something he may not do much with. i think theres a few of his games that arent in smash, im sure he made a virtual pet about beetles

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well its third party isnt it? could be a bit of a fiddly licence for something he may not do much with. i think theres a few of his games that arent in smash, im sure he made a virtual pet about beetles
Perhaps, I guess the closest nod to Meteos in Smash is probably those little stick figure enemies from Subspace Emissary that kind of resemble them I suppose...

Anyway, I suppose Ring Fit got spirited today, I guess their probably going to continue mostly focusing on third parties as the last pass.
Ya think Level-5 will be able to manage to get a character in there?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I could name all sorts of things that don't appear and not get referenced in Smash for no particular reason. This Death of the Author thing in regards to Sak has gotten tiresome at this point. Especially since the DS was the conceptual mindchild of Sak's friend Iwata.

In any case, I'm pretty sure they only have first-party spirit events when they run out of third-party series they haven't already negotiated for.

Ya think Level-5 will be able to manage to get a character in there?
No idea. At the rate things are going, they might get deconfirmed simply because they haven't gotten around to include any spirit material from the company before the support period ends, let alone any characters.

It could still happen, but current chances aren't especially great.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If their not getting a character, I hope they will at least get a spirit event at some point. Its best that they at least get a participation trophy over walking home empty handed, there is always next Smash I suppose. If they do, I hope they rip the bandaid soon...

Anyway, seems like E3's been cancelled for this year too. I guess we'll see when we will be getting a Summer Direct I suppose..

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The middle of the month would be a safe bet, but otherwise, I have no clue...

That being said, the Spring Direct has to happen by the start of the JP fiscal year, otherwise the investors and stock market will not be amused.

As such, Jeff Grubb's reputation is on the line.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I do know that the fiscal year starts on April 1st (odd day, I know).
I see, so I take it that we should expect something before then, right?

I suppose they probably want to push New Horizons until its release, but they should hopefully finally break the silence shortly after that game's out...

Last edited:
Top Bottom