• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Power of Lag: Bowser, The Internet, and You

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
That's right, Bowser aficianados. Your chance is here, and it's called Online matchups.

The laggy affair that is online play will cause fractional blips in the timng of all players. Who better to cash in on this problem than a character whose biggest weakness is being out-timed?

That's right. If your combat sense is good, and your timing better, Bowser can win plenty of matches online.

WHAT CHANGES ONLINE:

1. All of Bowser's moves that seem to last forever have a big advantage here, when on the attack. They are -easier to time-. Your opponent will get less reaction to wiggle out of the way of your counterattack, and you don't need to be flawless. You can use your Forward Smash and Down Smash with impunity. Your whirling fortress(Up+B) both comes out instantly and lasts quite a while - a big advantage. Your aerial Fwd+A is harder to place because the animation is short, as is the same with Side+B, but in its place, the Bowser Bomb (Down+B) gets tricky to dodge and VERY useable, the aerial Neutral+A avantes off splashers with its extended damage frames, and the aerial Down+A, usually useless, shines with its seemingly endless attack frames. If someone slips into you, they get hit - but watch out for so-so priority. The same old rules apply to firebreath (If you use it, you will deal some damage and then get hit - just accept it) but with the lag effects you are likely to catch enemies with more flame, more often.

2. The lag means you need to have your fast, long lasting moves at the ready when you're being attacked. The Fwd+A is beautiful for this. It's huge, it takes awhile to clear (so your opponent probably won't be sneaking by the instant the attack ends) and the priority is good. It's my go-to for handling something from the Ground.

Being attacked by aerial, is a bit easier to time since foes fall at a certain speed, unless you are dealing with a floater. When you're jumped at (and you will be) best to do a Smash Up, which has almost no vulnerability after the move, and a huge lag on the hitframes - so whenever your opponent comes down, he gets nailed. You can follow with an Up tilt. With a floater, I either swipe with Uptilt, or go after them in the air.

3. Since these matches are usually strongly multiplayer (3-4 player), that means your huge attacks are more likely to catch multiple foes, you can pick up early KOs from enemies who can't finish their work, and you will be able to endure more pinballing than the average shmuck due to your weight. The stats are all weighted in your favor; your attacks KO easier, you are harder to KO, there are lots of enemies to hit with your big attacks, and all those quick little dueling characters that are usually a hassle, have more trouble timing their ninjitsu than usual. Hammer em'!

4. However, you will also be more susceptible to getting caught in a pinball attack - tradeoffs. When you are flying around, know which moves are high-priority and will get you clear. A whirling fortress will eventually beat back anyone on top of you and bust through a ground cluster. If something is jumping up at you, you can use Fire Breath to crisp their fingers and get back to the ground. If they are hovering around below you, alternate between breath, Whirling away, and bowser bombing from a fairly low altitude. If someone jumps up at you, bomb them immediately.

5. Everyone hates Bowser... win enough and the people you are playing with will gang up on you. Why is the Bowser winning anyway? (isn't he supposed to be a bad character?) eventually someone will pose and try playing with Bowser (usually in your color) - own em'.

6. You're winning. Revel in it.

~Shock

feardragon64

Smash Champion
One problem...

If you want to actually become really good, you're going to SUCK at tournaments, especially when you've developed bad habits for fsmash and dsmash spam....

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
One problem...

If you want to actually become really good, you're going to SUCK at tournaments, especially when you've developed bad habits for fsmash and dsmash spam....
Or people will fall for it because they've never had to face someone with such a stupid strategy. They won't get far, but it'll definitely be fun to watch.

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
Or people will fall for it because they've never had to face someone with such a stupid strategy. They won't get far, but it'll definitely be fun to watch.
A good tactician suits his ploys to the situation.

In a 1vs1 tournament environment, the biggest asset you could hope to lay claim to in using Bowser would be your weight and strength, and the opponent's hopeful unfamiliarity with a skilled Bowser. Attacking in surprising and effective ways with Bowser would be key to victory; lots of different styles of assault would be very important as you climbed the ranks and folks watched your playstyle.

And by surprising, I mean not abusing the obvious metagame advantages (the air grab, the bowsercide etc) and differing on your timing (waiting one match, dashing in the next, jumping in the next, walking (??) in the next, maybe walking away or facing away in a match or two just to baffle the enemy.) The best way to develop that kind of flexibility is to use Bowser any way you can, and get used to how to hit and win under those various conditions.

---
As for online play, the situation differs, and so should the tactics.

The flashing moves like Aerial Side+A and Aerial Side+B are rocky to time, so ease up on their use. Focus on things that can work with worse timing.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
I don't play many lag match ups. (Wired connection FTW)

Its funny when I beat someone so much with Bowser that they try to ditto me. Its like they think they can just pick up Bowser and beat me with a character I play every day all the time on their first time playing.

After I 3 to 2stock them they usually get off him.

Haven't played many players like that since tho. Now once I own them enough they go to Snake.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
My Boozer usually enjoys internet play. Against most opponents i can perfom a lot of mindgames (mostly to Ikes). Some players were tempted to spam because they are afraid of what Im going to do next. I even got some replays of me being against a few Ikes, doing mindgames on them of course.
On occasions, when connected to mindgames (I really do use that word a lot), few ppl have fallen into a fully charged Boozer Fsmash.

Another thing I do is use the Infinite jump, but then its common for a Good Bowser to use it. While doing this near an enemy, I might use the Bowser Bomb in conjunction of an infinite jump. Its funny to see some opponents getting hit to this.

In response to Diasflac's comment... Yea, I have been in your position many times. I really hate snakes... one of the biggest campers in the game, with some overpowered moves.

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
Wow this thread is made of ****ing fail.
In another thread you diss someone for doing nothing to forward smash tactics of Bowsers in the forums.

Then you come here, to a purely realist thread based on winning the standing environment NOW, and you diss too.

Why, sir, do you exist?
---

As to camping, no one falls victim like poor Bowser. :( Sadly, the internet does not do much to change it.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Yeah, sure let's create bad habits. That will totally improve our skill set and make us better players in real life.

If you are using new tactics just for wi fi, it's because you are refusing to go and attend ****.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
In another thread you diss someone for doing nothing to forward smash tactics of Bowsers in the forums.

Then you come here, to a purely realist thread based on winning the standing environment NOW, and you diss too.

Why, sir, do you exist?
---

As to camping, no one falls victim like poor Bowser. :( Sadly, the internet does not do much to change it.
Yeah, sure let's create bad habits. That will totally improve our skill set and make us better players in real life.

If you are using new tactics just for wi fi, it's because you are refusing to go and attend ****.

One reason because he summed up why this thread sucks quite nicely. Two because you are a ****ing ******. And three because Brawl ****ing sucks and almost everyone that posts on these boards are ****ing stupid. Congrats. Now flame away on bawww you hurted my feelings.

IR.O.B.edC.Falcon

Smash Apprentice

One reason because he summed up why this thread sucks quite nicely. Two because you are a ****ing ******. And three because Brawl ****ing sucks and almost everyone that posts on these boards are ****ing stupid. Congrats. Now flame away on bawww you hurted my feelings.
I ****ing love you.

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice

No, that would be because I want to win Wi-Fi.

You assume much. How many people who play brawl actually attend tournaments?
Compared to the number that play Wi-Fi casually?

So then.. if more people play Wi-Fi, then even IF the environment is poorer in general, why are the tactics any less viable?

You, good sir, are what the internet calls Elitist

We officially apologize for not being as good as you, and not having fun in manners as sophisticated as you.

Now if you will excuse us... we have matches to win

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Whats this I made a dumb thread and someone called me out on it.. quick lets call that person an elitist.. aww yeaahh problem solved. Wait you're still ********.

bLeAkWuN

Smash Cadet
So your bowz sucks at timing, thank you for the pointless thread...but enjoy my really cool signature =D

chckn

Smash Ace
so what youre saying is that I should purposely lower my skills, and spam smash attacks to hopefully beat some noobs online at the price of becoming slower as well as much more predictable, in order to develop bad habits and seriously lower my chances of winning with him offline where matches count(super run-on sentence). gg shockfrost

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
So your bowz sucks at timing, thank you for the pointless thread...but enjoy my really cool signature =D
Now if that were the case, I don't think I would win any matches period.

so what youre saying is that I should purposely lower my skills, and spam smash attacks to hopefully beat some noobs online at the price of becoming slower as well as much more predictable, in order to develop bad habits and seriously lower my chances of winning with him offline where matches count(super run-on sentence). gg shockfrost
Failure Troll has failed.

Read closer. Endless smash attacks are not what I am advocating.

Top Bottom