• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
Why does nobody mention Venia when talking about American Greninjas? The dude's beaten Raptor and Vinnie and got invited to iQHQ as a result.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Why does nobody mention Venia when talking about American Greninjas? The dude's beaten Raptor and Vinnie and got invited to iQHQ as a result.
Never heard of him before. Looked him up and only found online footage. Do you have any footage from YouTube or Twitch so I can watch him?

D

Deleted member

This isn't much, but here's an offline small clip of Venia clutching it out and beating Vinnie and some other dude 1v2 in doubles.

But yeah, he beat most of the IQHQ members in friendlies at KTAR and they asked him to join because they were impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

arcazeronus

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeroarcanus
3DS FC
1349-8344-4745
greninja is quite fun but did i mess it up by choosing that specific character to play in my first fighting game ever?

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Hello ninja friends. It's truly been a while. I wondered if you guys could give me your take on this. I main :4lucina: and :4metaknight:, have since the beginning, no question. I'm wondering about a potential 3rd and MAYBE even 4th. However, like usual, my indecisiveness got me at a roadblock.
:4mewtwo: He's an old Melee main alongside Marth. Still left a rather salty aftertaste with how he was treated at his launch though. Favorite pokemon.
:4greninja: Makes sense that he's here, considering I'm asking you fellow ninjas what your thoughts are. 3rd favorite pokemon, behind Gardevoir (Pokken main), and Mewtwo. The only character left from my original 8 characters that I haven't removed, or added to my main list.
:4cloud: FF7 was my childhood, so it's to be expected. He's fun to play and is a great counter, HOWEVER, he's SO overused right now. Making it difficult to want to play him. Plus I'm rather janky when it comes to playing as him.
:4corrin:/:4corrinf: This is pure speculation, HOWEVER, I do like the idea of the character. They may be the character that breaks my "1 character per franchise" rule I've had with mains.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Don't know if I'll see the responses for a bit, considering the holidays are coming up, but I'll check back when I can. Thank you, and have happy holidays all!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hello ninja friends. It's truly been a while. I wondered if you guys could give me your take on this. I main :4lucina: and :4metaknight:, have since the beginning, no question. I'm wondering about a potential 3rd and MAYBE even 4th. However, like usual, my indecisiveness got me at a roadblock.
:4mewtwo: He's an old Melee main alongside Marth. Still left a rather salty aftertaste with how he was treated at his launch though. Favorite pokemon.
:4greninja: Makes sense that he's here, considering I'm asking you fellow ninjas what your thoughts are. 3rd favorite pokemon, behind Gardevoir (Pokken main), and Mewtwo. The only character left from my original 8 characters that I haven't removed, or added to my main list.
:4cloud: FF7 was my childhood, so it's to be expected. He's fun to play and is a great counter, HOWEVER, he's SO overused right now. Making it difficult to want to play him. Plus I'm rather janky when it comes to playing as him.
:4corrin:/:4corrinf: This is pure speculation, HOWEVER, I do like the idea of the character. They may be the character that breaks my "1 character per franchise" rule I've had with mains.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Don't know if I'll see the responses for a bit, considering the holidays are coming up, but I'll check back when I can. Thank you, and have happy holidays all!
Personally, if these were my choices for a 3rd and 4th main, my 3rd would be Greninja (since he is, already, my third main), and my 4th would be Corrin (I like how he/she looks. He/She would be my (personal) 6th main. Ya...there's to many characters to main, lol.)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
image.jpeg
My first (and so far only) Amiibo! Merry Christmas everyone! Or Kwanza, or Hanukah, or however you celebrate.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I got the 3DS version for Christmas. I won't be able to play it for a while do to the year of updates I missed. :(

:150:

Starman147

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0062-2134-9156

I swear there are some creative uses for substitute, but it stinks too much as a regular counter to see anyone pull stuff off with it.

If any of you guys use substitute, what directions for it are the most useful?

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991

I swear there are some creative uses for substitute, but it stinks too much as a regular counter to see anyone pull stuff off with it.

I try, but fail. XD
Also, hello again, I still remember that Greninja ditto on Twitch. I'll admit, I got thoroughly owned. XD

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

Holding up generally works best for Substitute imo since it kills earliest at center stage and keeps you safe from punishment if you miss since you're up high in the air. However, I've seen down and angled-down Sub be useful near the ledge and offstage and the side Subs are strong at the ledge if the attack you're punishing is laggy enough for you to not get punished yourself.

But yeah, I land Substitute like once every 20-30 matches.

Last edited:
Don't use Substitute unless you know your opponent will use a smash attack. If they do, either aim it off stage for a Hydro Pump follow-up or aim it down because it has the least endlag. At lower percents aim up and hope it's enough to smash

But seriously, don't even bother, substitute is probably the worst counter in the game since it can be shielded. Use back kick shadow sneak, it's a much more reliable counter

istudying

Smash Lord
A happy new year to all my Greninja buddies!

Hope that this will be the year that Greninja becomes greater then he has ever been.

I want to be part of that and i hope you will too.

AuraSSB4

Smash Rookie
When I first saw the XY starters, I had thought I would go with Fennekin. After seeing the full evolution line, I realized I would be up each night crying and wondering how my life sunk so low that I ended up with a Delphox. So, with foresight, I chose Froakie in a heartbeat.
Weird. I usually start with fire types.

((THERE IS A FIRE))

1up_Regal

Smash Rookie
Here are the videos of the tourney which fullmoon got 1st and i got 2nd that i was talking about the other day.

GF- AD| Regal vs FullMoon (Ditto after the first game)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brPsEuRUC50
LF- FullMoon vs AD| Luffy (TL) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EnU4SPntw
WF- AD| Regal vs AD| Luffy (TL) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUuFHI7fzHk
LS- FullMoon vs AD| Jab Air (DDD, Sheik) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFNVyFHZ6I
Top 8 R2 Losers- FullMoon vs LeoDT (DDD) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwwsBBstVkE
Top 8 R1 Losers- FullMoon vs Panda (Villager) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOAyRbzuaKg
Top 8 WS- AD| Regal vs Josonic (Sonic) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVpGTC2E4Q
Pool C WF- AD| Regal vs Zord (CF) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA2LXYznadQ
Pool A LS- FullMoon vs JAB| Jao (Rosalina) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u4khwnW_h4
Pool A LF- FullMoon vs AD| Floko (Luigi) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odrxidHqRa8

NWDM 1-H

Smash Cadet
^ Nice tourney, two frogs in Grand Finals? Lol, that's rare.

Anyway, was in the lab today and... is it just me or is it a bit difficult to footstool combo Zelda? If you time the d-air too quickly she'll bounce off when N-air --> footstool --> d-air'ing her. kek

I also did a few random things recently which might be helpful or simply just for the sake of #frogRepresent:

Input & timing of Greninja's down-throw --> down-tilt stuff, extended dash dance/dance-trot and a footstool combo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtE-rYc8toU

chain-grab-combo thingy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZJfaqcUUuY

some movement stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xVwUGG6gtk

edit: i found a replay where i footstool combo'd the best Robin main in Denmark "Eagle" in tourney. not too flashy but i'll share it once i get it uploaded. :p
my first footstool combo in tourney

Last edited:

Rubiss

Smash Cadet
Don't use Substitute unless you know your opponent will use a smash attack. If they do, either aim it off stage for a Hydro Pump follow-up or aim it down because it has the least endlag. At lower percents aim up and hope it's enough to smash

But seriously, don't even bother, substitute is probably the worst counter in the game since it can be shielded. Use back kick shadow sneak, it's a much more reliable counter
Substitute is very laggy and requires precise timing. It is the worst counter in the game, next to maybe Palutena's, but you shouldn't ignore it. It kills a lot of the cast at like 85-95% without rage if aimed upwards. It's very annoying when people have enough time to shield it. It's also very frustrating how Greninja does not have any invincibility frames when actually attacking. It's can be discouraging how there are character's with a much longer counter duration (like Shulk). However it is a hidden blessing. While our counter is very picky, it is actually very powerful. I don't think you should ignore it. It is great for getting through projectiles, recovering and even killing if you get the read. It's high risk/high reward.

NWDM 1-H

Smash Cadet
Substitute is very laggy and requires precise timing. It is the worst counter in the game, next to maybe Palutena's, but you shouldn't ignore it. It kills a lot of the cast at like 85-95% without rage if aimed upwards. It's very annoying when people have enough time to shield it. It's also very frustrating how Greninja does not have any invincibility frames when actually attacking. It's can be discouraging how there are character's with a much longer counter duration (like Shulk). However it is a hidden blessing. While our counter is very picky, it is actually very powerful. I don't think you should ignore it. It is great for getting through projectiles, recovering and even killing if you get the read. It's high risk/high reward.
may i add
It is super-effective against Rosaluma, literally. ◥θ┴θ◤

I use counter against projectile characters as well. If I see the Lloid rocket coming at me, I try to get a counter because the substitute doll can be used as a shield against projectiles.

Last edited:

Rubiss

Smash Cadet
may i add
It is super-effective against Rosaluma, literally. ◥θ┴θ◤

I use counter against projectile characters as well. If I see the Lloid rocket coming at me, I try to get a counter because the substitute doll can be used as a shield against projectiles.
Wow. That's actually a really clever use for the doll. I hadn't that of that. I'll be sure to try incorporating that into my own play sessions.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
This. It's the only counter in the game that has a set base knockback, instead of being based on the move it counters, and said knock back is quite strong. Obviously you shouldn't throw it out liberally, but that's with all counters.

Every move in our arsenal has its uses.

Rubiss

Smash Cadet
Very nice! Thanks for the video. I admit that I am rather sparse with my usage of Substitute. Things like Lucina's upsmash have made me a bit wary of using it. That being said, when you do pull it off, it is very rewarding.

Steve.Stone

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know how substitute works with projectiles though? In the video Greninja countered luma and went straight to Rosaline, but sometimes when countering projectiles you just stay in the same position. So I guess, how close does the shooter have to be for you to attack them instead of the projectile?

NWDM 1-H

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know how substitute works with projectiles though? In the video Greninja countered luma and went straight to Rosaline, but sometimes when countering projectiles you just stay in the same position. So I guess, how close does the shooter have to be for you to attack them instead of the projectile?
According to Smash 4 physics, Luma isn't a projectile, which makes sense, but isn't a character either... so it thinks Rosalina physically hit you and teleports you to her location instead, assuming Luma never is far away from Rosalina. Lol.

Against projectiles you likely won't hit anything, but spawn the substitute doll, which isn't entirely useless, as it can take all projectiles to the face for you.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So...I've approached the whole main situation with an open mind. Decided against :4corrin:/:4corrinf: after rewatching the direct and evaluating the playstyle, and :4cloud: after realizing he was my worst of the 5 I've been practicing.
SO, other than :4metaknight: and :4lucina:, I'm now down to my final 2 choices for #3.
:4greninja: & :4mewtwo:
Both are favorite Pokemon of mine, both have fun and, to my knowledge, viable playstyles, and both seem to be perfect counters for my current 2 mains. I'm not going to drag on this post, I just want some final thoughts as help on this, as this has proven to be a tough choice. I've liked :4greninja: from the start, and while :4mewtwo: wasn't that great at the start, he still was my most wanted character and I still attempted to learn him, even though he was one of the worst characters. Fellow ninjas, please, any last piece of advice would really help. I know it's probably tiring seeing me post these every once in a while, but for my New Years Resolution, I plan to finally end this internal debate and finalize my top 3. Maybe I should stick to 2 mains, but I'd still want to get my top 3 finalized before even attempting Anther's Ladder.

Last edited:

NWDM 1-H

Smash Cadet
:4greninja: has dank footstool combos. :4mewtwo: doesn't.
I also play :4mewtwo:, but he's my best pocket character, though sometimes I play him as good as my secondary (:4marth:) when I play :4mewtwo: on a good day.

That and the fact Mewtwo dies so early due to his weight, makes me stick to Greninja as a main (also because I mained Greninja since Wii U game release). I wouldn't make Mewtwo anything more than my secondary in my opinion.

It is possible to main Mewtwo of course, but I'd personally suggest Greninja before thinking about Mewtwo, because it is a ninja frog with dank footstool cambos. ◥θ┴θ◤

As a #3? I'd suggest Greninja, since he's a better character and all that above, but it comes down to preference. Both Greninja and Mewtwo has a projectile, which is what Meta Knight and Lucina lacks if you think about different MU's. ..... Greninja is still just better. ◥θ┴θ◤

Last edited:

NWDM 1-H

Smash Cadet
My response was posted in the Mewtwo social thread.
And no, you don't need "dank footstool combos" to enjoy Greninja. Tilts work just as well.
just my personal preference as to why i like le frog, but no you don't have to use them footstools to enjoy greninja of course. ◥θ┴θ◤

Last edited:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
consomme quit greninja to be (yet another) lost sheik player. nietono syndrome.

istudying

Smash Lord
consomme quit greninja to be (yet another) lost sheik player. nietono syndrome.
Sad to hear that another great Greninja player quit.

However i feel that he quit playing Greninja because he didn't get the results he wanted with him.

I still believe that there is so much more to achieve with this character.

We just need to invest more time in this character then in a people have to invest in a character like sheik.

Don't give up! We got this.

Top Bottom