• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I kinda like Greninja not being all that popular..... yet. just mistakes him the sleeper character that will strike back before people know it. As long he doesn't get any drastic changes or anything, I can see people recognizing what he can do as the meta goes on. I also find that fellow Pokemon fighter Charizard :4charizard: is being slept on too, and even though I don't main him I still hope his future goes well and that he gets some more attention too. Even though Greninja's my character and always will be, I tend to get sympathetic towards other characters I like and hope their futures turn out well too, even if I don't really play them or like how they play. This goes for :4bowserjr:, :4lucina:, :4falco:, and :4littlemac:; people ain't really giving these guys much respect right now and their futures are looking kinda grim competitively. Even though I already have a main and a secondary, I want these 5 characters to be good because I love them and their games, and I hope their metas can turn around soon without or without being buffed.

On a side note, where I live there aren't very many others Ninjas around here, and people seem to look at me as the best one our state has yet with a lot of potential. I kinda like being the only ninja where I live, since a low amount of competition would solidify my spot of becoming the best Greninja in my state, and maybe even take it further to one of the best all of America. I'm kind of a person who likes to fight for glory haha. I'm pretty inexperienced right now though and I've got some bad habits I need to work on and some fundamentals to get a good grasp of. It's gonna be a long journey on a long path if I wanna git that gud, but I'm willing to walk that path, and I support you guys and all other Greninja fans who've got the same plan, let's all do our part to advance his meta. As long as we're not both Arizonans, hehehe.

Luckily for me, there's also no :4megaman: king in my state either, so maybe I can claim my spot for the champion at him while I'm at it too..

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I keep track of the date because I know it's the day before I joined Smashboards :3. I'll be switching to my original avatar tomorrow in celebration.

Tbh, I still find most of the better nerf Greninja jokes funny. Then again, I'm not one to get tired of memes too easily.

I made a palette swap for Greninja today after messing around with GIMP when I was bored. Probably needs a bit more work, but I don't feel like working on it much more right now. If you haven't guessed by now, green is my favorite color.
Greeninja.png

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i just started playing smash 4 again on sunday, and i've already done greninja's full footstool loop on 5 different people multiple times. i'm sure this won't be a big deal n the future since it'll probably be more widely used (unless sakurai nerfs it), but i do find it funny how a few months ago everybody was saying how impractical it was.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
He's got a bad case of gangrene goin' on with his tongue around his neck...
Oh dang it you're right. That needs fixing -_-

1 year anniversary on Smashboards hype! Water swords confurmt -- oh wait, that already happened.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
i just started playing smash 4 again on sunday, and i've already done greninja's full footstool loop on 5 different people multiple times. i'm sure this won't be a big deal n the future since it'll probably be more widely used (unless sakurai nerfs it), but i do find it funny how a few months ago everybody was saying how impractical it was.
Teach me your ways because I can't do it at all.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I guess you were playing Vex on Anther's ladder? Vex is streaming on his channel at the moment.
Wtf I didn't know he was a pro player.

How do the people that wreck me always turn out to be real pros?

I wasn't expecting to show up on a stream like that anytime soon.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I can't even imagine getting something like that Nair to footstool stuff down consistently. I can't even running Shadow Sneak consistently, and it took me like six months to get OoS Usmash down on command back in Brawl. Great stuff, Bunny!

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
just practice for a few hours on yoshi. it works on a lot more characters than i thought tbh, but for some reason yoshi is the easiest.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Wtf I didn't know he was a pro player.

How do the people that wreck me always turn out to be real pros?

I wasn't expecting to show up on a stream like that anytime soon.
I know the feeling. I got wrecked by this pro Wario on Anthers awhile back (forgot his name), first match i got wrecked, second match i wrecked him with Shulk, third match he figured me out i guess because he came back and wrecked me. I still dont know how he destroyed me in that last match when i did so well prior.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
stuff about sonic
You made some good points here and gave me some food for thought. However saying "no offense" before repeatedly insulting my skill level doesn't make it okay to do that. Sonic's Spin Dash and other moves have been proven to be effective at a skill level far beyond mine, dealing with them is not simply a case of "get better". I have some counterpoints but I'm not really inclined to discuss this further, to be honest.

The "better nerf Greninja" thing was funny at first but then everybody started doing it and so they ran the joke into the trash very fast.

I also agree that I love Greninja's learning curve because it just feels so rewarding when you win.
Yeah I totally agree, this is one of the great things about the frog. So rewarding when you win a tough match, or when you get a Ganon-esque string that leaves the opponent's head spinning. I really like that Greninja's advantage is so strong, he can hit like a heavy sometimes. Great job on your recent vidoes, by the way.

I've really been loving Greninja's down throw lately, has anyone else been experimenting with it? I noticed some discussion about follow-ups earlier. I find at high percents (100%+) his down throw provides the perfect popup for a running Up Smash to catch pretty much any option except jumping away. If you can start to read the jumping away you can usually follow with double jump Uair for the kill.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I've really been loving Greninja's down throw lately, has anyone else been experimenting with it? I noticed some discussion about follow-ups earlier. I find at high percents (100%+) his down throw provides the perfect popup for a running Up Smash to catch pretty much any option except jumping away. If you can start to read the jumping away you can usually follow with double jump Uair for the kill.

You're a bit late

Great job on your recent vidoes, by the way.

Also thank you, even though I haven't uploaded anything in a while.

I already have plans for another montage featuring our frog though, I have plenty of replays for it and probably will have more once Mewtwo arrives to cleanse my replay list.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Yeah me too. I used to think of it as really mediocre, but I am finding it a very good option in the past week or two. At high percents, it leads into near-perfect placement for running U-smash and F-air and Shadow Sneak are also good followups as well to mix things up. It also creates a nice 50/50 mixup at low percents between dash attack and dash grab and Water Shuriken is also a decent followup at low percents. It's nice when U-throw starts staling and getting predictable.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
You're a bit late

Also thank you, even though I haven't uploaded anything in a while.

I already have plans for another montage featuring our frog though, I have plenty of replays for it and probably will have more once Mewtwo arrives to cleanse my replay list.
Haha, I did that exact punish today. If I know they're going to airdodge I also like to walk forward and Dsmash since it kills at very reasonable percents, or sets up a really good low angle edgeguard. I think Usmash is useful for option coverage because you can beat attacks which Shadow Sneak/Dsmash generally lose to, but Shadow Sneak is the better (and flashier) option if you know they're gonna dodge.

Yeah me too. I used to think of it as really mediocre, but I am finding it a very good option in the past week or two. At high percents, it leads into near-perfect placement for running U-smash and F-air and Shadow Sneak are also good followups as well to mix things up. It also creates a nice 50/50 mixup at low percents between dash attack and dash grab and Water Shuriken is also a decent followup at low percents. It's nice when U-throw starts staling and getting predictable.
Yeah, it's really important to keep Uthrow fresh at higher percents because it kills early for an Uthrow, but it's so useful it's usually stale as hell when it comes time to kill with it. I generally use Dthrow as soon as Uthrow puts them high enough that they can easily double jump away from the Uair follow-up. Although sometimes I'll use Uthrow a bit longer since some people like to airdodge after they get thrown, and you can Uair the airdodge for the kill most of the time at around 100%.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
fullmoon your montage video got retweeted by some of the japanese greninja players the other day, good job ' 3'

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
That explains why there was a sudden burst of activity in my video yesterday and I got like 28 views in just one hour.

And also why I got a Japanese subscriber all of sudden.

I've seen the video before, but, upon rewatching it, this kill makes me seriously want to reconsider choosing 3111 over 3112. Hmm.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I've seen the video before, but, upon rewatching it, this kill makes me seriously want to reconsider choosing 3111 over 3112. Hmm.
Whether you use Substitute or Exploding Attack really depends on the MU. In MUs where you're pretty much never going to hit with Sub, like Sheik or Pikachu, Exploding Attack is probably better.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Wait, hold on a moment. Greninja powered his water attacks from Mewtwo's tears, right?
Does that mean when we finally get Mewtwo on the 15th, Greninja will lose of it's power? What if that balancing patch is coming with just the sole purpose of nerfing Greninja because of that?

You Greninja mains need to find someone else's tears, and fast!
Try Pichu!

Last edited:

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
Wait, hold on a moment. Greninja powered his water attacks from Mewtwo's tears, right?
Does that mean when we finally get Mewtwo on the 15th, Greninja will lose of it's power? What if that balancing patch is coming with just the sole purpose of nerfing Greninja because of that?

You Greninja mains need to find someone else's tears, and fast!
Try Pichu!
Maybe Greninja is getting nerfed constantly because Mewtwo is coming back!
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Also I got a Greninja amiibo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom