• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I had faith in Froakie from the moment he was announced, part of it came from how awesome Samurott turned out to be when Oshawott was probably the most bashed out of the Unova starters. It certainly paid off though. When Greninja is leaked I actually was a bit sad because I thought it was fake and the design looked so cool for a fake... Then I found out it was real a few days before I could get X, which of course made me super hyped to play the game.

Robin and Lucina also made me decide to play Awakening so that's something I can thank them for. I'm neutral on Rosalina for the most part but was still happy she made it because I totally think she deserves it. Megaman got me really hyped too, maybe I should try messing with him some more.

I was also one of the people who fell for the trickery of mistaking Greninja for Mewtwo in his trailer, so I went from "Oh okay, Mewtwo is back, good for his fans." to my jaw dropping through the ground once I saw the Water Shuriken. I never really considered that the frog would get in Smash before since I tend to have more realistic expectations for the roster (though I still kinda wish Magolor was in the game, I knew he wouldn't but still), so that really came out as a huge, very pleasant surprise.

I was also going through some hard times of stress with school when the Direct came out and watching it really helped me cheer up. I wasn't even going to watch the Direct that day, I only did so because I had nothing better to do. I'm so very glad I did though.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Robin and Lucina also made me decide to play Awakening so that's something I can thank them for. I'm neutral on Rosalina for the most part but was still happy she made it because I totally think she deserves it. Megaman got me really hyped too, maybe I should try messing with him some more.
Robin made me pick up Awakening as well, after about a year of friends saying "it's so simplified and dumbed down compared to other FEs and all the playable units are able to fully cap their stats, you aren't missing anything"...they weren't wrong (and Cherche was probably the only character in the game I liked), but Lunatic had a very welcome difficulty level and I don't regret the purchase for it.

Megaman I was extremely hyped for, but I don't have anywhere near the tech skill or mindset required to play him sadly. I'm very pleased with how the character turned out though even if he is the worst thing ever to fight with Dedede

I was also one of the people who fell for the trickery of mistaking Greninja for Mewtwo in his trailer, so I went from "Oh okay, Mewtwo is back, good for his fans." to my jaw dropping through the ground once I saw the Water Shuriken.
That was a colorful moment for me. I've never gone from "OH MY GOD YES HE'S BACK YESSSSSSSSS" to "I ****ING HATE YOU SAKURAI EAT A ****" so quickly in my life.

Amusingly I'm probably happier about Greninja being in now as I highly doubt Mewtwo's going to be changed for the better, but we'll see how he turns out I guess.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Alright, think I'm finally settled back in (kind of). Still sort of catching up with school stuff and worried about getting destroyed at a tourney I'm hosting on Saturday having lost my controller at Apex, leaving me to rely on my Brawl controller (which is the controller I prefer for the slower play of Brawlimar as opposed to Greninja).

Shoutouts to BlinkIV and Sync. for being awesome. Really enjoyed meeting you guys and talking about Greninja stuff irl, and big thanks to you guys for the Sheik MU advice. Don't think I would have gotten anywhere close to beating Will's Sheik without it (I mean, I still didn't beat it, but damn was I close).

Apex was a really awesome experience, and knowing that I'm closer in skill level to you guys than I initially thought has really inspired me to really go all out in furthering my abilities as a Greninja player. Gonna analyze all those Amsa videos like crazy. Crawl spacing too good.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I know, hehe. I mentioned this before, but I guess I was one of the few fortunate people who didn't try Greninja enough before the patch, so the changes aren't as glaring to me. Though from what I've understood, he got some of the most nerfs in the game?
I'm in the same boat. I didn't start look at Greninja till in 1.0.4 myself. I never messed around with him before 1.0.4 because there were other characters I was more interested in at the time. It wasn't until 1.0.4 that I decided a good majority of the characters I was interested in weren't for me and that I should be looking for what I always do, shot (decently) mobile fighter with a projectile of some kind. Short/skinny Gunner is still the best fit but Greninja is still good for right now until I can play Gunner like I want (at which point whoever I am currently maining (which is honestly looking to be Greninja) will be moved to secondary status).

Still just thinking about a Shuriken with less lag makes me want it back even though I never really experienced it xD. But I'm biased towards liking not-so-laggy projectiles (still isn't that bad in 1.0.4, not like Ness PK Fire laggy which makes me cringe every time I use it and that I really don't like).

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
That was a colorful moment for me. I've never gone from "OH MY GOD YES HE'S BACK YESSSSSSSSS" to "I ****ING HATE YOU SAKURAI EAT A ****" so quickly in my life.
I had the opposite reaction. I went from "OMG MEWTWO IS BACK!!!! SO MUCH WIN!!!" to "AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! YYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! GRENINJA I CANT EVEN!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!". Thank god no one was home when I was watching the direct.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Guys lmao what do u think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWmtA1VCHWY
Don't forget these

But yeah, now only if we could find a jab cancel to death Greninja combo. People are amusing.

@ mimgrim mimgrim Mii Gunner looks fun, I admit. I suppose the fact that the Miis in general are such a huge deal as to why they are/aren't allowed in tournament partly discourages me from messing around with them some more. Which is honestly a shame, but I digress.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
*blinks*

All I did was laugh from amusement when I saw the Greninja trailer.
It's been a rough seven years, okay?

Guys, D-Throw -> Shadow Sneak is a great trap setup. Seriously, this setup is netting me more kills than anything else Greninja can do.

Bonus: He tried so hard.
That is actually brilliant, I just learned about Dthrow>Gordo with Dedede yesterday too for similar purposes and it was one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments. I definitely underrate how potent airdodge bait and punish setups are, even though I use them all the time with Rosalina.

As for the bonus, I don't know if I should be impressed by that dsmash or dismayed that you skipped on one of this game's greatest joys:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
That is actually brilliant, I just learned about Dthrow>Gordo with Dedede yesterday too for similar purposes and it was one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments. I definitely underrate how potent airdodge bait and punish setups are, even though I use them all the time with Rosalina.
I've actually been doing this for a long time, it's worth noting that on floatier characters such as Jigglypuff and Rosalina, who might get thrown too high for Shadow Sneak to hit, you can instead go for a running Up-Smash for an ever earlier kill, though you have to be quite precise with it. I've done it before on Puff but unfortunately I forgot to save the replay so I could make a gif out of it for demonstration.

I've also been able to catch people just out of the ledge with D-Throw -> Shadow Sneak at higher percentages when D-Throw starts sending them higher. If people fall for this bait we can get very early kills, especially with the back kick. Plus, it's pretty safe. I don't think I ever got punished for attempting this and the opponent jumped instead of air-dodging. You have plenty of time to watch if the opponent is going to airdodge before using Shadow Sneak too, from my experience.

As for the bonus, I don't know if I should be impressed by that dsmash or dismayed that you skipped on one of this game's greatest joys:

I've actually trolled with that recovery in many different ways by now. There's the way I showed above, the way you did, and then there's pushing Pac-Man out of the spring with Hydro Pump. It's indeed one of the greatest joys.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
So hey guys, I've just bought a capture card online that's going to arrive in about a week. So soon enough I'll be able to post some matches I had in good quality.

And hey, I'll also be able to do streams and do LPs of console games now. I'm actually thinking of becoming an LPer, starting with Shovel Knight. I just need time and will power to actually start recording something =P

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
So hey guys, I've just bought a capture card online that's going to arrive in about a week. So soon enough I'll be able to post some matches I had in good quality.

And hey, I'll also be able to do streams and do LPs of console games now. I'm actually thinking of becoming an LPer, starting with Shovel Knight. I just need time and will power to actually start recording something =P
Ooh. Cool!

D

Deleted member

What capture card did you get and how much was shipping? I've been thinking about purchasing one so that I can upload Smash on my YouTube channel and have you guys, along with the Meta Knight and Rosalina & Luma social threads critique my gameplay.

Here's the one I plan on purchasing: http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Game-C...id=1423269159&sr=8-1&keywords=60+capture+card

If enough people are willing to help me improve by watching and critiquing my gameplay then I'll probably go ahead with the purchase, I don't know though. What do you guys think?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
What capture card did you get and how much was shipping? I've been thinking about purchasing one so that I can upload Smash on my YouTube channel and have you guys, along with the Meta Knight and Rosalina & Luma social threads critique my gameplay.

Here's the one I plan on purchasing: http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Game-Capture-HD60/dp/B00MIQ40JQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423269159&sr=8-1&keywords=60 capture card

If enough people are willing to help me improve by watching and critiquing my gameplay then I'll probably go ahead with the purchase, I don't know though. What do you guys think?
I got this one

In other news, I just had a few matches with @Coffee™ as he suddenly approached me in Anther's Ladder. I only got one replay of a Greninja ditto though, I tend to forget to save those >_>

Those were some pretty fun matches, I was expecting to do a lot worse in them but I guess part of it is that I guess I'm a bit more used to playing online than he is so the input lag doesn't affect me as much. I even got some Fox practice out of the whole deal.

I really need to clean up my replays though, I have a ton of now-worthless replays stacked up.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
So I don't know if other people have done this before, but I did a spike part of Dair -> fast fall spike Uair -> sour spot Usmash (should've done Dsmash) kill on a G&W in FG a bit ago.

Looks cute, and legit.

Spirst

Most satisfying thing I've done with Greninja today. Gimping Ness is one of the best parts of Smash.

I love this character.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I usually just Hydro Pump then while they're controlling PK Thunder. That was extra mean, Spirst.

And that made it all the better.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
One of these days you'll run into the god Ness, and he will punish you for your trickery.

Spirst

One of these days you'll run into the god Ness, and he will punish you for your trickery.

Wow, how the hell did he make that? That is some serious BS. Ness is such an annoying character and I enjoy every second of gimping him.

I usually just Hydro Pump then while they're controlling PK Thunder. That was extra mean, Spirst.

And that made it all the better.
Yeah, I could've done that or fsmash when he was falling. But style is the # 1 priority.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Hey guys, do you know where I might be able to find any good Greninja sprites? Looking for something more or less like this size, maybe a little smaller:

The one the same artist had for Greninja was cool, except that his eyes look kinda bugged out lol.
Ty

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Hey guys, do you know where I might be able to find any good Greninja sprites? Looking for something more or less like this size, maybe a little smaller:

The one the same artist had for Greninja was cool, except that his eyes look kinda bugged out lol.
Ty

That was about all I could find.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Found this over on the Pac-Man boards.

Since Substitute doesn't factor the power of the triggering hit and can be used to attack upwards unlike other counters, I can see this being a nice option to keep in mind for the matchup.

(if it isn't clear, idle Hydrant triggers Substitute)

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
There's some kind of online tourney that's about to start soon. I haven't seen any Greninja participants yet. If you guys are interested, you can join here:

http://challonge.com/IMGMR9

click on the 'Challeonge' button and it'll get you set to sign you up.
The stream is here:

http://www.twitch.tv/simbaarragehowl

I'm considering joining but lol online

This tourney sucks so far

Last edited:

joaoTforce

Smash Cadet
NNID
joaoTforce
3DS FC
3711-7595-3873
guys is dair broken with smooth lander? I don't have smooth lander so I can't test it... also why did I not receive any alerts?

Last edited:

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
guys is dair broken with smooth lander? I don't have smooth lander so I can't test it... also why did I not receive any alerts?
Smooth Lander doesn`t cancel all landing lag. It just reduces it by 1/3, so Dair would be safer, but still too laggy to miss with without getting punished.

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Just getting home after a big tourney (+100 entrants).

Got 9th. Greninja only.

Lost a set in pools vs a Fox player (who placed 7th). Lost in winners vs Diddy (the guy who won), and in losers vs Olimar (Guy placed 4th).

Learned some things:

- The Fox matchup (after losing 2-0 in pools, 5-1 in friendlies, and winning 4-1 today).
- Diddy is freakin' homo. I mean, its a winnable matchup, but damn it I have to train a lot for this one X_X
- Mario matchup is harder than I though. A really good mario bodied me in friendlies.
- Greninja definetly beats Olimar.. Just need to play more.

Oh btw. I really don't know how to deal with Diddy's banana. Any tips?

EDIT:

The new Fox tech is really annoying (the first and second jab thing).

Last edited:
Top Bottom