• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Pirate's Charm - READ BEFORE POSTING - The Toon Board Rules / Q&A Thread

D

Deleted member

So not counting match-ups, they're about the same?
:170:
Well you need to pick stages according to MU if its a tourney set. Theyre both good for TL but one could be better/worse depending on the context.

But why even worry about those stages when we have our glorious sacred haven of Smashville in Wii U

D

Deleted member

Can we take this "best TL" discussion to the general discussion thread? This is the Q&A thread, not the "debate who's the best TL" thread.

Also, I like the 3DS version, so knowing whether BF or YI is better for TL is important for those of us who play the 3DS version. But yeah, I'm not seeing any real difference between BF and YI with TL, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Does anyone have any tips for using the tether recovery? Almost every time I've tried using it TL either ended up air dodging, doing a normal zair that wouldn't latch on to the ledge even when the zair ended up being very close to it, or his zair ended up doing some insane stretching thing (kind of like zairing at the stage from the platforms on Jungle Japes on the 3DS, and the right platform on Junglr Hijinx on the Wii U) where he gets completely stuck and falls to his death. This happens whether I'm slightly above the ledge, right next to it, or slightly below it, though I've had more luck with actually latching on when slightly below it (and "luck" with latching on when I'm trying to zair an opponent while I'm on-stage and facing away from the ledge, if that counts as lucky). But yeah, anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Psp is legendary and exceeds all of our skills caps. He is too great to even speak of. His TL will never be in our reach because he is so far ahead.
Was being sarcastic about him being the best obviously. But he's good I'll admit. However. because of him being like the offensive toon link he sucked at a lot of MU's where you had to camp. Very good offensive Toon Link though I've always appreciated how well he can use him without projectile game. He opened my eyes up in many ways.

Last edited:

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
Just about the Wii U version... I was watching on Youtube people playing has TL and when he uses the hookshot, it falls down just like in the brawl version. while in the 3ds version it goes straing and doesn´t falls.

well I just wanted know if that increases the ending lag... (I don´t have the wii u version T_T)

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Does anyone have any tips for using the tether recovery? Almost every time I've tried using it TL either ended up air dodging, doing a normal zair that wouldn't latch on to the ledge even when the zair ended up being very close to it, or his zair ended up doing some insane stretching thing (kind of like zairing at the stage from the platforms on Jungle Japes on the 3DS, and the right platform on Junglr Hijinx on the Wii U) where he gets completely stuck and falls to his death. This happens whether I'm slightly above the ledge, right next to it, or slightly below it, though I've had more luck with actually latching on when slightly below it (and "luck" with latching on when I'm trying to zair an opponent while I'm on-stage and facing away from the ledge, if that counts as lucky). But yeah, anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong?
Two things I've noticed on the 3DS version.
1. Attempting to Zair directly after an aerial will result in an airdodge, but you can still quickly Zair after that.
2. Jumping off stage and then immediately going for a Zair will not result in a tether, you have to wait a bit.

If his chain is extending but not attaching then you're likely too far away from the ledge.

Just about the Wii U version... I was watching on Youtube people playing has TL and when he uses the hookshot, it falls down just like in the brawl version. while in the 3ds version it goes straing and doesn´t falls.

well I just wanted know if that increases the ending lag... (I don´t have the wii u version T_T)
I've heard that the ending lag of a whiffed(missed) grab is actually shorter in the Wii U version.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've tested the 3DS version and Wii U version side-by-side, his Wii U grab is actually significantly faster. I also find myself getting punished for missed grabs a lot less in the Wii U version, while in the 3DS version TL just sits there for like an hour and I end up getting punished for it.

Two things I've noticed on the 3DS version.
1. Attempting to Zair directly after an aerial will result in an airdodge, but you can still quickly Zair after that.
2. Jumping off stage and then immediately going for a Zair will not result in a tether, you have to wait a bit.

If his chain is extending but not attaching then you're likely too far away from the ledge.
Oh right, I completely forgot about the issue with using zair after using an aerial. I need to remember to be careful of that. Thanks! As for #2, I've mainly gotten this issue when playing with other people and trying to use the tether recovery after getting knocked off-stage. But yeah, that's good to know about zair not working immediately after jumping off-stage, though

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
A lot of people feel like Toon Link is obsolete compared to Link. What do you all think of this? Do you feel like Link is better in every way?

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
Attacks coming from the side I think can hit him but how safe is DownAir with attack coming directly from below?

D

Deleted member

This is what the Q&A thread is for. Next time, please at least look at the titles of the stickied threads before posting.

Edit: Now that the threads have been merged, this comment looks silly. lol

D

Deleted member

Attacks coming from the side I think can hit him but how safe is DownAir with attack coming directly from below?
The only characters I can think of with uairs that can beat TL's dair are Greninja, Rosalina, TL, and I think Link as well but I'm not 100% sure about him. It would be odd if TL's uair could beat his dair but not Link's.

RiRinKal

Smash Rookie
NNID
RiRinKal
Generally there is two way to perform tether recovery,

either use Z button to do it, or air dodge and than attack button to do tether(I personally prefer air dodge+attack because you can pretty much prevent gimp, and Z button can perform different moves sometimes)

So personally I don't recommend using Z button to tether recovery.

and once you get use to the regular tether recovery,

this is something that what I do often.

Tether on the ledge, then hit down to cancel out your tether and up B right away,

this technique is pretty cool to use, and sometimes it's helpful not to get gimped

(although this needs some practice other wise you can SD because of that)

D

Deleted member

Generally there is two way to perform tether recovery,

either use Z button to do it, or air dodge and than attack button to do tether(I personally prefer air dodge+attack because you can pretty much prevent gimp, and Z button can perform different moves sometimes)

So personally I don't recommend using Z button to tether recovery.

and once you get use to the regular tether recovery,

this is something that what I do often.

Tether on the ledge, then hit down to cancel out your tether and up B right away,

this technique is pretty cool to use, and sometimes it's helpful not to get gimped

(although this needs some practice other wise you can SD because of that)
Is that why I usually see TLs in this game air dodge before using the tether? I was wondering why they did that, and had completely forgotten about shield button + A to tether. But yeah, that's good to know and I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Jtails

Smash Lord
I used Toon Link today against Wizrobe's Sheik and took a game! I will be exploring toon link a bit more as well. But yeah Jash is making a come back!

D

Deleted member

Was being sarcastic about him being the best obviously. But he's good I'll admit. However. because of him being like the offensive toon link he sucked at a lot of MU's where you had to camp. Very good offensive Toon Link though I've always appreciated how well he can use him without projectile game. He opened my eyes up in many ways.
I used Toon Link today against Wizrobe's Sheik and took a game! I will be exploring toon link a bit more as well. But yeah Jash is making a come back!
Again, wrong thread. If you want to talk about the best TL, take it here. As the title of this thread says, this is a thread for asking and answering questions, not for talking about who the best TL is.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
So is bomb throw our replacement for Brawl zair and ibomb, I guess? we don't get hurt in the blast radius if the opponent is caught, it provides at least some damage and hitstun...

Also, I think of a single creative use for arrow right now.
I saw Yacka say somewhere about SH arrow -> bomb throw, which I thought was super cool, and the AT thread was talking about edge cancelled arrows, which I can't think of many applications for, since it sounds punishable in so many situations.
Are there any other uses of arrow?

Swordplay and grabbing seems a lot more prominent in this game than it did in Brawl for Toon! Which is super nice, since it's not very fun for either person when you're being campy. Bombs take away all the ground options... I need to learn the IZAC. -_-
So to do the IZAC, you have to press Z right after jumping, correct?

Last question: What does Toon accel at compared to Link? Is it just camping?

Jtails

Smash Lord
Again, wrong thread. If you want to talk about the best TL, take it here. As the title of this thread says, this is a thread for asking and answering questions, not for talking about who the best TL is.
Sorry, I was simply replying to a comment I knew the answer to, didn't mean to post out of context or anything.

D

Deleted member

So is bomb throw our replacement for Brawl zair and ibomb, I guess? we don't get hurt in the blast radius if the opponent is caught, it provides at least some damage and hitstun...
I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you mean jump canceled bomb throw? Maybe I just don't understand because TL was only my secondary in Brawl, though.

Also, I think of a single creative use for arrow right now.
I saw Yacka say somewhere about SH arrow -> bomb throw, which I thought was super cool, and the AT thread was talking about edge cancelled arrows, which I can't think of many applications for, since it sounds punishable in so many situations.
Are there any other uses of arrow?
I've found it to work as a mix-up. Besides that, I haven't found them very useful unless I'm using the fire arrows.

Swordplay and grabbing seems a lot more prominent in this game than it did in Brawl for Toon! Which is super nice, since it's not very fun for either person when you're being campy. Bombs take away all the ground options... I need to learn the IZAC. -_-
So to do the IZAC, you have to press Z right after jumping, correct?
It's insanely difficult to pull off, but yes.

Last question: What does Toon accel at compared to Link? Is it just camping?
He has a better running speed. Besides customs, that's it. His aerials even tend to have twice as much landing lag as Link's, and TL now has the worse recovery since he can't move horizontally from his spin attack as well as Link can.
When it comes to customs though TL has much better customs than Link, imo. Hopefully for us TL mains customs will end up being legal, since this will give us another advantage over Link besides just running speed.

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
I went to a smash 4 meetup the other day to play friendlies with a bunch of the Australian smash community, I mostly did fine as TL, never got bodied by anyone however it became blatantly obvious that Toon Link can't deal with Falco's reflect after a match with a good player.

The Falco player I versed felt like they were able to reflect my projectiles 100% of the time and a few times was able to reflect right as a boomerang or arrow was shot. Perhaps it's just a predictability issue but even though Toon Link has a great Neutral game there must be some way around these reflects, not just for Falco but Mario, Fox etc. Toon links strength lies in his zoning and camp game so is there any good way to learn when and how to effectively use projectiles in these MU's?

For me this is the only time I've had trouble with a character in Smash 4, generally being able to deal with most characters, even other zoning characters without much trouble.

Any tips/tricks for dealing with these reflect moves? Any Customs good for dealing with them or should I just rely on TL's neutral game and start zairing as a pseudo range move to zone effectively in the situation?

D

Deleted member

I went to a smash 4 meetup the other day to play friendlies with a bunch of the Australian smash community, I mostly did fine as TL, never got bodied by anyone however it became blatantly obvious that Toon Link can't deal with Falco's reflect after a match with a good player.

The Falco player I versed felt like they were able to reflect my projectiles 100% of the time and a few times was able to reflect right as a boomerang or arrow was shot. Perhaps it's just a predictability issue but even though Toon Link has a great Neutral game there must be some way around these reflects, not just for Falco but Mario, Fox etc. Toon links strength lies in his zoning and camp game so is there any good way to learn when and how to effectively use projectiles in these MU's?

For me this is the only time I've had trouble with a character in Smash 4, generally being able to deal with most characters, even other zoning characters without much trouble.

Any tips/tricks for dealing with these reflect moves? Any Customs good for dealing with them or should I just rely on TL's neutral game and start zairing as a pseudo range move to zone effectively in the situation?
In my experience that usually is an issue of being too predictable with your projectiles. Using bombs more over other projectiles should help, too. Unfortunately, the opponent having a reflector is still going to mean you'll have to fight up-close a lot more often, and is probably where you should be most of the time.

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
In my experience that usually is of being too predictable with your projectiles. Using bombs more over other projectiles should help, too. Unfortunately, the opponent having a reflector is still going to mean you'll have to fight up-close a lot more often, and is probably where you should be most of the time.
I figured as much, its almost a reversal of the tl, olimar MU in brawl, sealing off most of tls ability to camp and zone with the arrow and boomerang.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
What are the major differences between the two Links?
A lot of Link's sword attacks have more KB and kill earlier, and he is generally heavier and slower than TL. Toon Link is a floaty character while Link is not.
They have completely different Aerials Uair being the only exception, as well as different Dash attacks and Usmashes.
Their boomerangs have some different properties, Link's boomerang draws in characters when it returns and TL just damages them.

I always have trouble with Falco too, his reflector has huge range and will reflect any projectiles from the start of the animation to the end. Keep in mind w/ all of the reflectors you projectiles will keep the same angle as they return. As long as Falco's not too close you can do a SH angled boomerang or Bomb throw and you wont have to worry about getting counter hit. If he's reflecting your projectiles 100% of the time you were probably being way to predictable, Falco especially is not someone you should spam head on. Try baiting out his Dspecial enough so that he doesn't feel safe using it. It has high ending lag so if you shield it you should be able to punish it every time. I try approach w/ projectiles even if he'll reflect them becuase Zair is beet out by a well timed Dspecial.

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
As far as attacks/aerials Link seems faster to me with a lot less landing lag , better reach, and much easier to kill with/stay alive with. Im surprised Toonlink isnt faster (outside of running and projectiles) especially in the air/landing than Link since he's so much lighter. Doesnt make sense. For example Im really upset that his down A doesnt pogo anymore but thats been said a hundred times Im sure. Toonlink is still an amazing character and one of my favorite but I feel Link has been given more winning advantages this time around. I play and enjoy them both.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
I'm thinking.

*Forward Smash when opponent is near edge and when opponent it a little futher away as it has better front range.

*Down smash when opponent likes to roll alot and also near edge, so you aren't too predictable.

*Upsmash - Opponent in Air, can also combine with running upsmash.

How does that sound or is there any more tactics I could use?

D

Deleted member

A lot of people feel like Toon Link is obsolete compared to Link. What do you all think of this? Do you feel like Link is better in every way?
Honestly, yeah, Link is better than TL in pretty much every way. More range, faster moves/less lag on his moves (except his smashes; also, TL has twice as much landing lag on his aerials), is stronger and can actually kill, both his spin attack and tether give better recovery, and I could go on. The difference in running speed doesn't really matter since Link's range more than makes up for it, so that's hardly an advantage.

The only things TL really has going for him over Link are his bombs having a bigger blast radius, JCBT being more useful, and his slingshot moves being absolutely amazing. Link has a much better sticky dash (weird, I can't seem to find the thread that explains what sticky dashing is), though, while TL's is useless. Fortunately new things keep being found for TL, so the list of his advantages over Link could grow in the future. If those ATs end up being patched hopefully TL will actually get a buff this time to make up for it.

I'm thinking.

*Forward Smash when opponent is near edge and when opponent it a little futher away as it has better front range.

*Down smash when opponent likes to roll alot and also near edge, so you aren't too predictable.

*Upsmash - Opponent in Air, can also combine with running upsmash.

How does that sound or is there any more tactics I could use?
In case anyone is wondering, ScotteyF1's post here was originally in response to Keytrun's thread which got moved here.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
I have this nasty habit of dairing and f smashing from way back in my melee days which drives me crazy. My aerials are getting better but i'm struggling to hit with my short hop zairs and down smash. Hopefully i'll get my timing right soon, no rush though. I'll be playing this for years to come. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

LinkLuigi

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkLuigi
I can't seem to be hitting zairs at all. Anyone got any advice on when to use them?

D

Deleted member

I can't seem to be hitting zairs at all. Anyone got any advice on when to use them?
On smaller characters, make sure you input the zair after the peak of your jump, otherwise you're going to miss a lot.

D

Deleted member

So on the way down, right?
Yep. Though, on larger characters like Rosalina you can input the zair immediately after your short hop, which is probably better to do or you could get hit before you get the chance to zair the opponent.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Yep. Though, on larger characters like Rosalina you can input the zair immediately after your short hop, which is probably better to do or you could get hit before you get the chance to zair the opponent.
Well, I almost always land-cancel my zairs because it cancels REALLY fast, assuming that you didn't airdodge before the input. Rising zairs are only good on reaction-- so this works in very rare situations, since most of the time, you're using projectiles to zone your opponent out anyway. In Brawl, I've seen people stop phantasms/illusions with zairs.
If you read it right, boomerang does the same thing, with a longer duration hitbox, so there's a longer window of time where they can run into a boomerang. Boomerangs start up slower than zair, though.
I've also seen people interrupt Meta Knight's glide with zair and boomerang, which of course, does not exist in this game. So I guess boomerang/arrow/zair can be used for opposing your opponent's bum-rushes.

The little amount of lag with zair also means that it's really great for spacing, and a followup.
I remember Yackabean saying somewhere that zair -> grab works nicely.

Do you guys still use zairs for gimps? Everyone's ridiculous recovery in Smash 4 makes it seem like zair gimping isn't as applicable as it was in Brawl. The reduced lag time in the air compared to Brawl zair is nice though, although it seems that Smash 4 Toon isn't as floaty as he was in Brawl, which kind of negates that property...

Last edited:

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
You're remembering a lot of stuff I said guys huh? :p
Zair's laglessness is amazing, I think nair's lag is a bit exaggerated though. Buffering movement out of it makes you somewhat acceptably fast. Check out the videos section and the tourney I recently played in and you'll get an idea of some of the stuff Toon Link can do.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
You're remembering a lot of stuff I said guys huh? :p
Zair's laglessness is amazing, I think nair's lag is a bit exaggerated though. Buffering movement out of it makes you somewhat acceptably fast. Check out the videos section and the tourney I recently played in and you'll get an idea of some of the stuff Toon Link can do.
We all love you, Yacka. <3
Fox is super cool as well.
Can you put some nice Toon videos on this thread?
http://smashboards.com/threads/gameplay-videos-of-each-character-1-04-videos-only-please.376378/
The video thread on our character forum is a critique one, so there are people who specifically post videos BECAUSE they know that there are major holes in their gameplay.
Also, Yacka, you've pretty much heard compliments from everyone. As far as I know, recordings of you are some of the best that exist as of now, so maybe post some of yours, minus the BLC, unless there are some other really nice tourney VODS that I don't even know of.
You play a really nice Toon overall anyway, so I feel that you should pick out the videos to put on that thread for now.
Also, what do you mean by the nair's exaggerated lag? Do you mean the landing lag?

This isn't a Q&A post, I'm sorry.... please don't hurt me, Dr. Artemis.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
WAIT... zair still cancel landing lag? O_o
No.

Well, I almost always land-cancel my zairs because it cancels REALLY fast, assuming that you didn't airdodge before the input.
It in fact, extends the window of time in which you can get that airdodge landing lag to the whole duration of zair itself.
You could've experimented with this yourself. :C
So yeah, airdodge -> zair is almost useless now, mostly situational. Except I don't know what situations you can use it in.

Also, what the heck... Fox is a moderator now. This is nice. <3

Last edited:
Top Bottom