• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Pirate's Charm - READ BEFORE POSTING - The Toon Board Rules / Q&A Thread

GeekModeOffset

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hyper2386
Thanks Doc! I will try to mix these in and see how it goes. TBH I could really use more zair in my gameplay overall.

-Edit-

Oops sorry Fox Detective! I didn't read your post until after I posted! This is a problem that I've been having a lot more recently, and didn't know if it was just me or TL was meant to suffer in this position. lol

I will try some of the things you and Dr. Artemis mentioned, and see what I can work out. Naturally this is mainly a FG/FD thing since I can be sent pretty high and have a long way until I reach a platform. I sometimes automatically burn my double jump so it might just be old habits dying hard. Guess I will find out.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
lol
What's a cross-up?
Also not mentioned, throwing a bomb at an aura sphere will negate the aurasphere. Really nice.

ultrament2

Smash Cadet
NNID
ultrament2
lol
What's a cross-up?
Also not mentioned, throwing a bomb at an aura sphere will negate the aurasphere. Really nice.
I replied to someoen with that information. :(
Luckily, I have another idea.
Dash-Shield Bomb Throw
Dashing into shield gives us a skid but the bomb throw stops us in place.
Is this useful
is this in the AT
That and more on this evening's News at Tink

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Luckily, I have another idea.
Dash-Shield Bomb Throw
Dashing into shield gives us a skid but the bomb throw stops us in place.
What?
So I assume you mean shielding out of a Run, not a Dash, but then, the Bomb throw doesn't make any difference to how far you slide, and even if it did, how would this be potentially useful?

ultrament2

Smash Cadet
NNID
ultrament2
What?
So I assume you mean shielding out of a Run, not a Dash, but then, the Bomb throw doesn't make any difference to how far you slide, and even if it did, how would this be potentially useful?
Dash Shield usually has you skid but Bomb Throwing out of shield during the skid stops you from skidding? Maybe a good option against other campy projectile users since you could shield their projectiles with the dash shield and respond with a Bomb OoS?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Dash Shield usually has you skid but Bomb Throwing out of shield during the skid stops you from skidding?
Nope. I really don't know what else to say. From the moment you hit shield, you will always slide the same distance regardless of whether you throw a Bomb or not. You've probably just already stopped sliding by the time you're throwing the Bomb

Maybe a good option against other campy projectile users since you could shield their projectiles with the dash shield and respond with a Bomb OoS?
This was already just a generally good option, especially against other projectile characters.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
Is there any way that I could learn to IZAC efficiently? I've been putting in at least an hour into learning all of Toon Link's AT's and I've managed to get all down except the IZAC, I can apply it once in a blue moon lol.
I've been going step by step,
first I am learning to efficiently drop the bomb without zairing,
After I am able to do this consistently I will apply the neutral air to grab the bomb in the air.
Any tips? I do this in 2/3 slow motion because the other ones are extremely slow to the point where I feel as if it will not help me in normal speed.

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
2/3 from my own experience is kinda bad for learning IZAC. It's really choppy.
I think 1/2 is the best even though it's slower.

D

Deleted member

Agreed with Yackabean. IZAC is a lot easier to do on the higher speeds once you've gotten it down on the slower speeds. Personally I started out with 1/4, then moved on to 1/2, then tried moving on to 2/3 before the normal speed but it was just too choppy. Also, on 1/4 speed you should z drop the bomb right when TL is starting to lift off the ground before his jump.

clevermaniac

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2724-0961-7292
Can somebody upload a video showing some or if not all of Toon Link's ATs ? I know it's a lot to ask but it's a little hard seeing an AT through text. I apologize if it has already been done and if so could you link it to me? Thanks.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I find it hard to imagine that someone might find it difficult to understand an AT. My describing/teaching skills are unrivalled XD.
But seriously though, is there any particular AT you couldn't figure out from the explanation? Perhaps I could word it differently, and I may even need to edit my thread to make it more understandable.

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
So earlier today I was playing my training partner like usual. Well I had the bright idea of dusting off my toon link from my brawl days of when I used to main him and give him a go. Well both matches we had were super close, and he took one with his bowser junior(thats cuz when I glide tossed, my own bomb hit me into his forward smash at end <_<), and the other one he rage quit on his last stock with his pit. He got super pissed and told me "I had to worst and campiest toon link in the world." One I didn't take him seriously, cuz I'm sure he was salty, but when he told me I didn't know how to play tink is when he struck a nerve a little.

I use tinks projectiles a lot, to create space and it allows me to constantly stay mobile around the map. If they land, its a guaranteed fair or nair for some damage. That is how I play toon link. Honestly I play him like Robin, but instead of spamming Arcfire I use a combination of the projectiles to create the same effect.

I don't know what to say. Do I play toon link wrong. Am I suppose to play him like how he does. Use dair a lot and smash attack way too much, never using specials but constantly spacing with fair like Greninja and using normals. I don't know, maybe he was just mad. What do you guys think.

He also told me to never use toon link again <_<. I think the real problem is that toon link is just annoying to fight especially a good one.

Bdude

Smash Rookie
NNID
BdudeGames
The beauty of toon link is, if done correctly, can be a spammer and aggressive close combat fighter. What I know I do and I'm sure some ppl here will say is that toon link is optimally played as a projectile fighter until your opponent gets frustrated enough to come in or do something stupid. Then we can punish with a fair, nair string, smash attack, etc.

That's at least how I play him until ppl say I'm nothing without projectiles to which I will fight them without any. It's a fricking lot harder but I can sometimes pull it off lol.

I guess in the end if you are consistently winning with any character with any play style that has to mean you are playing them correctly, right? That's the beauty of smash

D

Deleted member

So earlier today I was playing my training partner like usual. Well I had the bright idea of dusting off my toon link from my brawl days of when I used to main him and give him a go. Well both matches we had were super close, and he took one with his bowser junior(thats cuz when I glide tossed, my own bomb hit me into his forward smash at end <_<), and the other one he rage quit on his last stock with his pit. He got super pissed and told me "I had to worst and campiest toon link in the world." One I didn't take him seriously, cuz I'm sure he was salty, but when he told me I didn't know how to play tink is when he struck a nerve a little.

I use tinks projectiles a lot, to create space and it allows me to constantly stay mobile around the map. If they land, its a guaranteed fair or nair for some damage. That is how I play toon link. Honestly I play him like Robin, but instead of spamming Arcfire I use a combination of the projectiles to create the same effect.

I don't know what to say. Do I play toon link wrong. Am I suppose to play him like how he does. Use dair a lot and smash attack way too much, never using specials but constantly spacing with fair like Greninja and using normals. I don't know, maybe he was just mad. What do you guys think.

He also told me to never use toon link again <_<. I think the real problem is that toon link is just annoying to fight especially a good one.
Using a lot of projectiles then going in to follow up on them afterwards is pretty much how TL is played. As for what your friend said, he's pretty wrong about how you should play TL. TL's smash attacks except usmash aren't very good so you definitely shouldn't spam them, and usmash shoulsn't be spammed, either. Dair is arguably TL's worst move, so spamming that is also a really bad idea. Too many TLs (mostly for glory TLs) predictably jump over their opponents with dair, making it easier for the opponent to shield and punish it. Even when dair lands it can be teched (pressing the shield button right before hitting a surface after being sent flying from an attack, including a spike), and dair has so much landing lag that the opponent still has time to punish after teching. As for using fair to space, that's not a good idea with its start-up lag, poor range compared to zair, lack of follow-ups like zair, more landing lag than zair, etc. Basically, if you're looking for a spacing tool, zair is generally the move you should use for that. Nair is also good since it comes out more quickly than fair.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm actually ok with using Fair for spacing purposes. You just need to pull it out from an area of relative safety and use it so that it will hit if the opponent approaches at that exact moment.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Can we "jab lock" with anything besides arrows? they're kinda slow, and they only land on a lying down opponent if we're far away. =.=

We used to have DA and dtilt as well, but dtilt doesn't SEEM to jab lock anymore, and DA doesn't have that relatively low-knockback property anymore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can we "jab lock" with anything besides arrows? they're kinda slow, and they only land on a lying down opponent if we're far away. =.=

We used to have DA and dtilt as well, but dtilt doesn't SEEM to jab lock anymore, and DA doesn't have that relatively low-knockback property anymore.
There's the fast boomerang, if that counts.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

I believe I answered this in an earlier post... lemme see... yep
"the normal arrows and the returning custom 3 boomerang have locking properties, and technically our F-tilt, Nair and D-tilt also have locking properties but they only work on very low percents, and it's very difficult to force a situation in which a character will go into their missed tech animation when on very low percents."
It's only a jab lock if you use a jab to lock with, otherwise you'd just refer to it as a 'X' lock where 'X' represents the move you used e.g. 'arrow lock'. Otherwise you might ask, "which moves have locking properties?"
Also note that it's only on its return that the fast boomerang will lock.

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
How often do you throw the boomerang, and how do you decide when to use bomb or boomerang? Or bow, even?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
How often do you throw the boomerang, and how do you decide when to use bomb or boomerang? Or bow, even?
Those questions are pretty broad. Boomerang is amazing, it's always nice to have one out if possible. When I use each projectile will depend on a lot of factors including (but not limited to) how much time/space I have, what areas I'm trying to cover, and what projectile would be best suited for any particular purpose as they all have their own unique set of properties, potential flight paths, and knockback/hitsun.
If that wasn't helpful, try asking more specific questions.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Those questions are pretty broad. Boomerang is amazing, it's always nice to have one out if possible. When I use each projectile will depend on a lot of factors including (but not limited to) how much time/space I have, what areas I'm trying to cover, and what projectile would be best suited for any particular purpose as they all have their own unique set of properties, potential flight paths, and knockback/hitsun.
If that wasn't helpful, try asking more specific questions.
Sorry just quoting you to get your attention, because I know your the man to go for my question-

I main Diddy but I have two questions about iZACing. The first is whether your jump movement is restricted in any way (ie. are you forced to jump in place or can you do it out of a dash with forward momentum). I assume you can do it with any momentum considering how quickly you recatch the item. I can only perform iZACs a fraction of the time atm, but I'm yet to do it with momentum or just a moving jump so I don't know for sure.

The second question is whether you have any tips for perfecting the technique. If there is a certain rhythm to your inputs or any visual cues etc.

Thanks in advance, your help would be greatly appreciated. If you still go to tourneys I might see you one day if I ever end up going to one.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Sorry just quoting you to get your attention, because I know your the man to go for my question-

I main Diddy but I have two questions about iZACing. The first is whether your jump movement is restricted in any way (ie. are you forced to jump in place or can you do it out of a dash with forward momentum). I assume you can do it with any momentum considering how quickly you recatch the item. I can only perform iZACs a fraction of the time atm, but I'm yet to do it with momentum or just a moving jump so I don't know for sure.

The second question is whether you have any tips for perfecting the technique. If there is a certain rhythm to your inputs or any visual cues etc.

Thanks in advance, your help would be greatly appreciated. If you still go to tourneys I might see you one day if I ever end up going to one.
Hey Dre. [I have a feeling I've heard about you before... I'm bad with names though. It would be great to meet one day if we haven't already.]
To answer your question though, yes you can IZAC while moving in any direction. What makes this difficult of course is that the joystick has to be in neutral for the z-drop, but momentum from a Dash/Run/Skid for example, as you suggested, will carry over if you're quick enough.
If you want tips for perfecting IZACing, @ Yackabean Yackabean is the unofficial man to go to on this one. I can tell you all the technicalities of the move, but I don't have the experience mastering it that he does.

Considering that you main Diddy, you have it easy because you don't have to worry about Zair coming out if you Z-drop slightly too late and you don't have to worry about holding the grab button for too long; in fact you can continue to hold the grab button that did the z-dropping while you use your aerial. If a Toon did this, they'd get a Zair when they try to aerial. Because of this, I actually find Diddy's IZAC relatively easy. You may want to consider just messing around with your controller button layout; it's entirely possible that using an easier button sequence will make all the difference. Like, are there any buttons that you don't currently use, e.g. either y/x or r? Or even better, would you ever consider going the full jank and actually learning a new control scheme for the sake of easier inputs overall?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey Dre. [I have a feeling I've heard about you before... I'm bad with names though. It would be great to meet one day if we haven't already.]
To answer your question though, yes you can IZAC while moving in any direction. What makes this difficult of course is that the joystick has to be in neutral for the z-drop, but momentum from a Dash/Run/Skid for example, as you suggested, will carry over if you're quick enough.
If you want tips for perfecting IZACing, @ Yackabean Yackabean is the unofficial man to go to on this one. I can tell you all the technicalities of the move, but I don't have the experience mastering it that he does.

Considering that you main Diddy, you have it easy because you don't have to worry about Zair coming out if you Z-drop slightly too late and you don't have to worry about holding the grab button for too long; in fact you can continue to hold the grab button that did the z-dropping while you use your aerial. If a Toon did this, they'd get a Zair when they try to aerial. Because of this, I actually find Diddy's IZAC relatively easy. You may want to consider just messing around with your controller button layout; it's entirely possible that using an easier button sequence will make all the difference. Like, are there any buttons that you don't currently use, e.g. either y/x or r? Or even better, would you ever consider going the full jank and actually learning a new control scheme for the sake of easier inputs overall?
Thanks for the info

I would consider a new control scheme because being able to consistently iZAC as Diddy would be insanely good (it'd be amazing on anyone with items TBH). Currently I have R set to jump and X set to grab (Z is still set to grab too). For FH iZACs I've been going R-Z (I often use R for full hops and Y for short hops). For SH iZACs I've been rolling my thumb from Y to X (which is grab remember). Main problem I'm having is that I feel like I need to roll my thumb to do it quick enough, but most of the time I jump cancel toss it.

What control scheme would you have in mind?

Edit- Another question. Once you recatch it, how long after the aerial can you Z drop it again? I know you wouldn't be able to catch it again, but I was thinking it could be used as a cover for punishes. For example with Tink if you whiff SH iZAC bair and you see them aggressing on you you could Z drop the bomb again so that they eat the bomb if they try dashgrab you or something. This is assuming you can in fact Z drop it right after you aerial of course.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Thanks for the info

I would consider a new control scheme because being able to consistently iZAC as Diddy would be insanely good (it'd be amazing on anyone with items TBH). Currently I have R set to jump and X set to grab (Z is still set to grab too). For FH iZACs I've been going R-Z (I often use R for full hops and Y for short hops). For SH iZACs I've been rolling my thumb from Y to X (which is grab remember). Main problem I'm having is that I feel like I need to roll my thumb to do it quick enough, but most of the time I jump cancel toss it.

What control scheme would you have in mind?

Edit- Another question. Once you recatch it, how long after the aerial can you Z drop it again? I know you wouldn't be able to catch it again, but I was thinking it could be used as a cover for punishes. For example with Tink if you whiff SH iZAC bair and you see them aggressing on you you could Z drop the bomb again so that they eat the bomb if they try dashgrab you or something. This is assuming you can in fact Z drop it right after you aerial of course.
Well when you think about it, there has to be a pause between the jump input and the z-drop input otherwise you'll get a JC throw, and there doesn't have to be any pause or (in Diddy's case) any precision between the Z-drop input and the aerial input - only speed is required. So it makes sense to use a shoulder button for the jump and then a thumb rolling action for the z-drop and aerial inputs (in Diddy's case). You'll just have to get good at doing SHs with the shoulder button.
You should be able to z-drop immediately after an aerial yeah. In fact this is one way that Toon can z-drop without getting a Zair. I won't make a big deal about Toon's Bair being too slow to do this with out of a SH in smash 4 XD. It's no matter.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well when you think about it, there has to be a pause between the jump input and the z-drop input otherwise you'll get a JC throw, and there doesn't have to be any pause or (in Diddy's case) any precision between the Z-drop input and the aerial input - only speed is required. So it makes sense to use a shoulder button for the jump and then a thumb rolling action for the z-drop and aerial inputs (in Diddy's case). You'll just have to get good at doing SHs with the shoulder button.
You should be able to z-drop immediately after an aerial yeah. In fact this is one way that Toon can z-drop without getting a Zair. I won't make a big deal about Toon's Bair being too slow to do this with out of a SH in smash 4 XD. It's no matter.
I think a found a really good way to do it

I set the side-taunt d-pad buttons to jump. This is good for three reasons. Firstly, it's really easy the SH with the left pad button if you just tap it, with minimal danger of accidentally pressing the other buttons and taunting. It's also easy to FH too. Secondly, it frees up your right hand to press grab and the C-stick. Finally, the fact that you have to take your thumb off the control stick to press the d-pad removes the possibility of accidently Z throwing the item. It's great because you don't have to change around your controls, it's a button you don't normally use in combat.

Only drawback is the possibility of accidently taunting. In my time testing it I haven't done this, and I have horrible tech skill. I guess the other drawback is if you like your sideb taunt (pretty sure that's the fairy one for Tink right?). Diddy's side taunt is crap anyway so I don't really lose anything lol.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I think a found a really good way to do it

I set the side-taunt d-pad buttons to jump. This is good for three reasons. Firstly, it's really easy the SH with the left pad button if you just tap it, with minimal danger of accidentally pressing the other buttons and taunting. It's also easy to FH too. Secondly, it frees up your right hand to press grab and the C-stick. Finally, the fact that you have to take your thumb off the control stick to press the d-pad removes the possibility of accidently Z throwing the item. It's great because you don't have to change around your controls, it's a button you don't normally use in combat.

Only drawback is the possibility of accidently taunting. In my time testing it I haven't done this, and I have horrible tech skill. I guess the other drawback is if you like your side-b taunt (pretty sure that's the fairy one for Tink right?). Diddy's side taunt is crap anyway so I don't really lose anything lol.
Just trying this out now and this particular lay-out definitely helps. Good job thinking out-side the box. I would add only one thing though. If it were me, I'd assign the whole d-pad to jump. This way you can just flail your thumb over to the d-pad from the joystick and have no need for precision to avoid the taunt. Ok so you can probably keep the d-taunt, but the taunts really shouldn't be keeping you from having the best controller lay-out that you can.

Now as for Toon, I guess that lay-out would help to some degree, but he still suffers from the precision required for the z-drop without a zair. And more importantly, he suffers from having to let go of grab before he inputs an aerial. So no matter what control scheme you go for, you'll have to deal with timing the z-drop, and I don't believe that returning the joystick to neutral should be our biggest priority in terms of control schemes.
Rather, a Toon control scheme designed to help do IZACs should involve something that forces you to let go of grab before you input the aerial but that also doesn't take too long. I already have z set to jump, so I'm looking at y and x to be my grab and attack respectively. This is because they are far enough apart to ensure that when I slide my thumb from y to x, the y is released in-between (you may have to angle your thumb to make it thinner). And... you know what, I think it works. I think it definitely helps. I might just keep this button lay-out and play around with it. You can test to see whether you're sliding your thumb properly between y (grab) and x (attack) by holing y till Toon shields and then sliding over to x. If Toon grabs, then you've done it wrong; if he drops shield and does nothing or jabs, then you know you've done it right, then it's just a matter of combining this with the correct z-drop timing which unfortunately will have to be a matter of practise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Has anyone been able to find any ways perfect pivoting could be useful for Gay? Also, is Captain Falcon a good secondary for us?

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Every TL I've played against spams projectiles 85% of the time. Is this honestly the way he's supposed to be played?

If not, how do I play against it? I get dmg racked up on me from the amount of projectiles thrown on me

If so, why? Are his attacks weak/unreliable?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I guess you could technically play him any way you like. There's no right or wrong on how you should play a character.

To get past Toon Link's wall of projectiles, practice perfect shielding, rushing down on the opponent, or compensating with a reflector or counter.

His attacks are pretty decent. I believe he is better than Link because of his smaller size and lightness. I never use him much, so you'd probably get better information from a TL main.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Every TL I've played against spams projectiles 85% of the time. Is this honestly the way he's supposed to be played?

If not, how do I play against it? I get dmg racked up on me from the amount of projectiles thrown on me

If so, why? Are his attacks weak/unreliable?
Toon Link is what you would call a 'zoning character.' That means he excels off of mid to far ranged combat using his projectiles. So most competitive Toon Link players who know what they're doing will play like this. I know it can be frustrating to play against characters who spam their projectiles, but that's honestly how they're built to be played. Other examples of zoning characters on the roster include Link, MegaMan, and Duck Hunt.

It's not that Toon Link's moves are weak/unreliable. It's more that his moves aren't built for melee like combat such as Captain Falcon or Sonic. This is because Toon Link's up close sword combat is a little sluggish, and most of his aerial attacks leave him with too much landing lag. He simply can't keep up with the other characters on the roster who are built for up close combat unless he uses his projectiles against them. Zoning characters such as Toon Link play their best when they're using their projectiles to rack up damage, set up walls, and control space. They'll also use their projectiles to set up small combos.

That being said, the best way to play against them is to be patient and figure out how to get through their walls of projectiles. To do this you'll have to practice power shielding the projectiles to get up close and eventually apply pressure. Zoning characters can't keep up with up close rush down pressure due to their standard attacks being slower than the opponent who is built for that sort of thing. It'll take some practice, but it's definitely possible. Play it slow, and don't be reckless. As soon as you start stumbling over yourself and making mistakes, the zoning character has you right where they want you. It's kind of like a mind game.

Hopefully this explanation helped a bit. If you're still curious about something, feel free to leave your questions in this thread.

Happy 500th post to myself! :colorful:

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Thanks so much guys, it definitely is frustrating but I guess that just shows the diversity in the roster. I'll definitely be practicing patience

Are there any uses for wavebouncing the boomerang?
I personally use it to confuse my opponent as a mixup with my projectiles, I like using it to go behind someone in shield or something similar. I do stuff like that with characters with reflectors because they don't expect it often or people in general.

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. I got huge problem playing whit toon link lately, my camp game is hype but when they approach im not as good. this make me think that i could change my main. But i dont want xd. My game is too much gaycampy and when its time to exchange hit, im a big noob. I would like some tricks to ugrade my closefight and i'm thinking that the only solution is by playing anoyher character. am I right?

D

Deleted member

Hi everyone. I got huge problem playing whit toon link lately, my camp game is hype but when they approach im not as good. this make me think that i could change my main. But i dont want xd. My game is too much gaycampy and when its time to exchange hit, im a big noob. I would like some tricks to ugrade my closefight and i'm thinking that the only solution is by playing anoyher character. am I right?
Dropping a character for a different one every time you have any issues with them would make it very difficult to ever find a main since people will always have issues with a character.
As for close-combat stuff with Gay, that's sort of broad but I'll try to help the best I can. It's good to get in by following up after zair, a bomb, the boomerang, or a fire arrow (if using customs) lands on the opponent. Even if you throw a bomb and it doesn't land, if the opponent sits in shield you can run up and fthrow, dthrow, or fthrow them before the bomb can interrupt it if you're quick enough. If the opponent predictably jumps you can fair them, and if they roll you can attack them where they roll to. Nair is very good if you need a move that comes out quickly, same with spin attack 1 and 3 out of shield as a mix-up. I've also seen Jash use spin attack 1 to punish landings, though personally I use usmash even if it means you have to be more careful with it since it doesn't land as long as the spin attack so is easier to avoid. Speaking of opponents getting above you, the opponent being high up is fantastic for Gay since he can trap the opponent with projectiles then pressure the opponent in the air, mostly with uair. Utilt is also great for comboing with, and against most characters you can rack up around 30% ith it at an absolute minimum. I could probably go on for a while, lol. Gay's close-combat game really isn't so terrible, it just has a learning curve compared to other characters. Anyway, I hope this all helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
I didnt mean to 'drop' my toon, i mean that I am trying new character that have more option of close combat than gay Like for example pika. Gay is still my main, but im trying new combination with it to be better when it will be time to hit whit him. I'd try to use more the bomb too approach my opponent and am trying to break my habbit to do : arrow boomrang bomb dashupsmash because my friends had started to dowload it, thanks artemis. I'll continue to work my bomb

EDIT : I'D Work my uair too cause i got issue hitting poeple whit it

Last edited:
I didnt mean to 'drop' my toon, i mean that I am trying new character that have more option of close combat than gay Like for example pika. Gay is still my main, but im trying new combination with it to be better when it will be time to hit whit him. I'd try to use more the bomb too approach my opponent and am trying to break my habbit to do : arrow boomrang bomb dashupsmash because my friends had started to dowload it, thanks artemis. I'll continue to work my bomb

EDIT : I'D Work my uair too cause i got issue hitting poeple whit it
If you have issues using the u-air, I recommend using set ups like upsmash/up tilt into u-air or you can up throw to u-air. I try to use it close to the opponent as possible because it has A LOTTTT of active hit frames, so if they're airdodging and I'm following them, the frames inbetween airdodges will hit them and it can kill them, I get like 1/4 of my wins this way lol

D

Deleted member

If you have issues using the u-air, I recommend using set ups like upsmash/up tilt into u-air
This won't really work against good players since uair's hitbox takes too long to come out and is too thin, also if it misses you'll be punished for its landing lag. It's better to end a utilt string with something like nair or bair since they come out quickly and cover a wide range.

Top Bottom