• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Pirate's Charm - READ BEFORE POSTING - The Toon Board Rules / Q&A Thread

I was wondering what controls you guys use. Do you use tap jump, and is it beneficial in any way to gameplay? Right now, I am comfortable with tap jump on. Should I change to no tap jump, or stick with what I'm comfortable with?

Also, I've been looking for a secondary lately to cover up some bad matchups (ex. Diddy). Right now, I've been using Meta Knight as a secondary character when needed. Could anyone provide some insight as to their secondary character, and whether or not Meta Knight is a good secondary to cover the matchups necessary?

P.S: I know that a thread was started about this in the past (started in April of last year), however the meta has changed since then, so I'd like someone to give an updated opinion.

Thanks in advance.
I use the normal controls for a 3ds personally (With a pro controller), and I turn tap jump off. This is because up-tilts with Toon Link are really good to use because they rack up damage and set up for followups. But if you can consistently up-tilt with ease using tap jump I see no reason to change that. I don't play competitively but my secondaries are KD3, Mario, and Captain Falcon. Meta Knight seems like a good way to cover bad matchups though, I don't play him as much but he's really good in general because of his combo game, f-smash in neutral and other junk.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I have been struggling with Toon Link lately. I used to think of him as my best character, but it's not really working anymore. I struggle hard to maintain stage control. I am forced out of center stage easily, even against characters like Charizard. Is it Battlefield's fault? Is that a bad stage for Toon Link? I wish I had some footage to show you to help illustrate this issue.

I just feel like I've hit a wall with this character, so I've been taking a break. I'm not sure if he's what I want anymore. From maining him, I discovered how much I struggle without good buttons, and that I value strong neutral less the more I understand it. I like to play footsies, and am not sure if Toon Link is a good fit anymore. Not sure what to do. Would you guys recommend I stick it out? Or should I move on?

Charzarding

Smash Rookie
I have been struggling with Toon Link lately. I used to think of him as my best character, but it's not really working anymore. I struggle hard to maintain stage control. I am forced out of center stage easily, even against characters like Charizard. Is it Battlefield's fault? Is that a bad stage for Toon Link? I wish I had some footage to show you to help illustrate this issue.

I just feel like I've hit a wall with this character, so I've been taking a break. I'm not sure if he's what I want anymore. From maining him, I discovered how much I struggle without good buttons, and that I value strong neutral less the more I understand it. I like to play footsies, and am not sure if Toon Link is a good fit anymore. Not sure what to do. Would you guys recommend I stick it out? Or should I move on?
I'd say if you want to play footsies go cloud but if you want to stay TL I'd try a more projectile to ledge combination. Battlefield is pretty good for TL though. You might just be having problems against players who have good stage control moves.

Bob Ross

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I'd say if you want to play footsies go cloud but if you want to stay TL I'd try a more projectile to ledge combination. Battlefield is pretty good for TL though. You might just be having problems against players who have good stage control moves.

Bob Ross
Thanks for the tips, Bob. I definitely need to work on my neutral in general, so I have taken a step away from Toon Link, since I feel like his projectiles allowed me to not consider stage control via positioning, and I found his normals ineffective for playing the game the way I prefer. Maybe I'll return to him when I get my act together.

Charzarding

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips, Bob. I definitely need to work on my neutral in general, so I have taken a step away from Toon Link, since I feel like his projectiles allowed me to not consider stage control via positioning, and I found his normals ineffective for playing the game the way I prefer. Maybe I'll return to him when I get my act together.
Np Fam #feelsgoodman

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
When does bomb do 4% and when does it do 8%. I noticed in training, at 100% or so, if i through the bomb at the groud right before landing vs right after landing (so both times i hit my self) i go very different heights afterward. Is it based on being grounded or not? I could not get the opponent to take 8% in my efforts, only myself.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
When does bomb do 4% and when does it do 8%. I noticed in training, at 100% or so, if i through the bomb at the groud right before landing vs right after landing (so both times i hit my self) i go very different heights afterward. Is it based on being grounded or not? I could not get the opponent to take 8% in my efforts, only myself.
The bomb will deal 8% damage if the bomb hits the ground and the opponent is caught in the explosion.
The bomb will do 4% damage if it explodes from hitting the opponent.
Throwing the bomb downwards while grounded (suicide bomb) will only inflict 4% damage to you and your opponent.

Gavi1195

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gavi1195
3DS FC
3024-8441-4898
A few months ago, I decided to give Toon Link a shot since I played Link. I felt that Toon Link was one of those characters that felt right to me, but I never took the time to learn him for several personal reasons. I finally have some time and decided to ask around a couple character threads for guides on how to use certain characters I have been interested in. Toon Link being one of them. I know only certain things about the character, so Im not super good with him, but I feel like I could get very good with him. If anoyne can provide me a guide to learn his combos, options, etc. I would be very thankfiul.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
A few months ago, I decided to give Toon Link a shot since I played Link. I felt that Toon Link was one of those characters that felt right to me, but I never took the time to learn him for several personal reasons. I finally have some time and decided to ask around a couple character threads for guides on how to use certain characters I have been interested in. Toon Link being one of them. I know only certain things about the character, so Im not super good with him, but I feel like I could get very good with him. If anoyne can provide me a guide to learn his combos, options, etc. I would be very thankfiul.
The stickied guide is pretty good. http://smashboards.com/threads/ball...ition-with-toon-link-work-in-progress.387996/

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I just need to ask some general questions about :4tlink:.

How should I combo with him? I have trouble doing... Just about everything with Toon Link.

What are his best OOS options? I was thinking Up-B, but I don't know.

How does Toon Link go about the Wii Fit Trainer Matchup. (Asking for a Friend)

Preemptive "Thanks for the help!" :ness:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I just need to ask some general questions about :4tlink:.

How should I combo with him? I have trouble doing... Just about everything with Toon Link.

What are his best OOS options? I was thinking Up-B, but I don't know.

How does Toon Link go about the Wii Fit Trainer Matchup. (Asking for a Friend)

Preemptive "Thanks for the help!" :ness:
bombs... lots and lots of bombs. They're definitely your main combo tool, along with sweetspot rang, because of the great hitstun and small knockback they give. You'll come to find they can lead into pretty much whatever you want and just learn to freestyle with them sometimes.
Here's what is probably the best video out there for explaining jump cancel bomb/glide toss. Some of the stuff with megaman in that video I think has been patched out, but it's still got the basics you will need to know. I recommend using Y to jump if you pick up tink, I always have so it was natural for me, but I've found that it's also much easier to jc things that way too, like: up b, up smash and, of course, bomb tosses. Using Y will make it much easier, and you'll be JCBTing quite a lot, so X might put some strain on your thumb. Don't quote me on that, though. The way I do it is by putting the middle of my thumb on the A button (this is for the gamecube controller btw) and the tip of my thumb on Y, and this way you can make a simple movement of rocking your thumb from Y to A.
You'll need to get familiar with jcbt and when to use it, because it negates the lag you would get from throwing a bomb while grounded normally, so you can combo so much easier.
Other than bombs, you'll mostly just go for strings with zair, nair and sometimes even arrows, but work on bomb combos first.

OOS options however, you'll mostly want either jc up smash, jc bomb, or, what I think is a rather underrated option, sh retreating nair (comes out on frame 11 if you buffer it in the jump squat, 2 frames faster than a perfect jc up smash.) Rolls, spotdodge, and sh airdodge are also really good defensive options though. Rolls are invincible from frames 4 - 14 (ends frame 26), spotdodge from 2 - 15 (ends frame 24), and airdodge (buffered) from frames 7 - 30 (ends frame 35). The glory of sh airdodge is that you can use any aerial except fair before you land. Nair will only get one hit, though, but uair can frame sync a little, and bair can even combo now at low percentages because of the 1.1.4 buff, Also dair can... don't use dair (unless as a huge mixup).

As for the WFT MU: idk lol, ask in the match up discussion thread.

If you care about all the frame data stuff then here's all you need http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Toon Link

pre-emptive "You're welcome!" :shyguy:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Heya! (If any,) which of our moves can beat :4cloud2:'s dair? Thanks!
There's not much. If you have a bomb, throwing it at the sword will explode the bomb and hit him, but it will also hit you if you're in range of the blast. Cloud's Dair has more range initially, but the longer lasting hitbox can be outranged by our Uair and technically by U-smash too. If the Cloud uses it such that he fast falls it and still autocancels, if you shield it there isn't anything you can do, and if you power-shield it, and you're frame perfect, you can Jab him if he didn't cross you up; U-tilt can be powershielded. A lot of the time you're better off simply using your quick ground-speed to outmaneuver Cloud and then hit him from the side with e.g. a rising Bair (which has great range horizontally to catch him if he tries to retreat).

TsarofToon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1306-6595-6677
So, I was actually wondering something. I have my own style of play with TL that has been working for me. Basically, I spam projectiles in the neutral, and only approach when my opponent approaches. When I get close enough, I start using zair into grab to knock them up with upthrow to try and get a Uair, or Forward Throw to get them away from me. At low percents when I am close, I go for utilt strings to upsmash, or bomb/boomerang to Nair. At mid percents, I try to get bomb/boomerang to fair or Uair depending on how they get launched. I mostly kill with usmash, fair, Uair, and Fsmash when I hit it. This style has won me a lot of matches against friends, because if they try to get close, I just knock them away. Tell me if this is a OK style or if it might not be that viable for tournaments. Thanks!
(P.S Is the TLs bow and arrow good? I hit them sometimes, but I don't really know when to use it properly.)

Edit: I use this strategy against all characters, ignoring how to do the matchup cause I don't know much about them.

Last edited:

oBebi

Smash Rookie
So, I was actually wondering something. I have my own style of play with TL that has been working for me. Basically, I spam projectiles in the neutral, and only approach when my opponent approaches. When I get close enough, I start using zair into grab to knock them up with upthrow to try and get a Uair, or Forward Throw to get them away from me. At low percents when I am close, I go for utilt strings to upsmash, or bomb/boomerang to Nair. At mid percents, I try to get bomb/boomerang to fair or Uair depending on how they get launched. I mostly kill with usmash, fair, Uair, and Fsmash when I hit it. This style has won me a lot of matches against friends, because if they try to get close, I just knock them away. Tell me if this is a OK style or if it might not be that viable for tournaments. Thanks!
(P.S Is the TLs bow and arrow good? I hit them sometimes, but I don't really know when to use it properly.)

Edit: I use this strategy against all characters, ignoring how to do the matchup cause I don't know much about them.
From my understanding this is how he should be played, though be careful not to get too linear or focused with the ideal combos you would like to land, I always find it's good to switch it up. But, against chars that can handle your camp/outcamp you, you have to be more aggressive to break their defense and set up your combos; it's moreso conditioning and trapping them rather than goading them with projectiles and simply reacting. So maybe try playing against characters like that so you can have that aspect down, people like Samus, Mewtwo, Mario, Ness, etc.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz

This is far too basic. The way you play is known as 'flowcharting', and this is not something you want. A very formulaic way of playing is never a good one, so you should try and mixup your playstyle a lot more.

Arrows are good, but you need to know how to use them first, so I would wait until you're more comfortable with tink, you understand how his whole moveset works, and how to optimize him to the best of your ability before using them in tricky situations. Once you do start knowing how to use them, though, they can be amazing in the right situation. Recently I've even been b reversing them into opponents trying to land/on the lower platform of bf so they fall into f smash 2, there're a ton of set ups like that.

TsarofToon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1306-6595-6677
This is far too basic. The way you play is known as 'flowcharting', and this is not something you want. A very formulaic way of playing is never a good one, so you should try and mixup your playstyle a lot more.

Arrows are good, but you need to know how to use them first, so I would wait until you're more comfortable with tink, you understand how his whole moveset works, and how to optimize him to the best of your ability before using them in tricky situations. Once you do start knowing how to use them, though, they can be amazing in the right situation. Recently I've even been b reversing them into opponents trying to land/on the lower platform of bf so they fall into f smash 2, there're a ton of set ups like that.
Wow, I didnt realize I was playing him so wrong. I'll try and mix up how I play, and do the little guy a favor. I'll also use arrows a bit more, and actually learn matchups instead of relying on one strategy. If anyone could point me to a place where I can study the matchups, that would be nice. I'll try to be a bit more creative with my play, and will improve. I want to get better with him, since I am dedicated to playing him as a proud Toon Link main.

(P.S What are good CO mains or Secondary to back Toon Link up with harder matchups? My Mains are TL (clearly) Mario, Kirby, Ike, and Diddy. My secondary are Lucas, Luigi, Shulk, Marth, and Villager. My secondary werw picked at random, with characters I just have fun with. Thanks in advance!)

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Wow, I didnt realize I was playing him so wrong. I'll try and mix up how I play, and do the little guy a favor. I'll also use arrows a bit more, and actually learn matchups instead of relying on one strategy. If anyone could point me to a place where I can study the matchups, that would be nice. I'll try to be a bit more creative with my play, and will improve. I want to get better with him, since I am dedicated to playing him as a proud Toon Link main.

(P.S What are good CO mains or Secondary to back Toon Link up with harder matchups? My Mains are TL (clearly) Mario, Kirby, Ike, and Diddy. My secondary are Lucas, Luigi, Shulk, Marth, and Villager. My secondary werw picked at random, with characters I just have fun with. Thanks in advance!)
There's a stickied mu discussion thread here on the tink boards, that's the place to go.

I've heard that fox is a really good secondary for tink. There are a ton of threads asking exactly the same question (all of which have been closed iirc, cus they belong in here), so just poke around for some of those and see what the replies were like. I would definitely not recommend trying to play so many characters at a competitive level, just focus on 2 or 3 mainly for now, and pick up some others as you progress. When I did this, I saw a great spike in character skill with tink and whoever my secondary was at the time (I think it was marth). Of course, this isn't to say you can't play any of those other characters for fun, but you should focus on just a few, and keep the rest as secondaries.

For an example: I main tink, then secondary Mac and Mewtwo. These are the only characters I regularly practise. Other than that, I pocket Roy, Marth, and Falcon, but only play them for fun or certain MUs I think they have a great advantage in, or I just seem to fins easier with my playstyle. They are characters who I previously played more seriously, but just stopped having as much fun with, and so knocked down to just secondaries. I am currently practising Kirby a bit on the side, but only because I find him really fun to play, potentially really good, and so might pick up as a secondary or pocket.

Hope this helps you to decide your character situation.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
bombs... lots and lots of bombs. They're definitely your main combo tool, along with sweetspot rang, because of the great hitstun and small knockback they give. You'll come to find they can lead into pretty much whatever you want and just learn to freestyle with them sometimes.
Here's what is probably the best video out there for explaining jump cancel bomb/glide toss. Some of the stuff with megaman in that video I think has been patched out, but it's still got the basics you will need to know. I recommend using Y to jump if you pick up tink, I always have so it was natural for me, but I've found that it's also much easier to jc things that way too, like: up b, up smash and, of course, bomb tosses. Using Y will make it much easier, and you'll be JCBTing quite a lot, so X might put some strain on your thumb. Don't quote me on that, though. The way I do it is by putting the middle of my thumb on the A button (this is for the gamecube controller btw) and the tip of my thumb on Y, and this way you can make a simple movement of rocking your thumb from Y to A.
You'll need to get familiar with jcbt and when to use it, because it negates the lag you would get from throwing a bomb while grounded normally, so you can combo so much easier.
Other than bombs, you'll mostly just go for strings with zair, nair and sometimes even arrows, but work on bomb combos first.

OOS options however, you'll mostly want either jc up smash, jc bomb, or, what I think is a rather underrated option, sh retreating nair (comes out on frame 11 if you buffer it in the jump squat, 2 frames faster than a perfect jc up smash.) Rolls, spotdodge, and sh airdodge are also really good defensive options though. Rolls are invincible from frames 4 - 14 (ends frame 26), spotdodge from 2 - 15 (ends frame 24), and airdodge (buffered) from frames 7 - 30 (ends frame 35). The glory of sh airdodge is that you can use any aerial except fair before you land. Nair will only get one hit, though, but uair can frame sync a little, and bair can even combo now at low percentages because of the 1.1.4 buff, Also dair can... don't use dair (unless as a huge mixup).

As for the WFT MU: idk lol, ask in the match up discussion thread.

If you care about all the frame data stuff then here's all you need http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Toon Link

pre-emptive "You're welcome!" :shyguy:
You are amazing, thanks a lot!

Brokemon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3969-6508-7781
Hey Everyone!

I always have loved Toon Link because of my love of the Zelda series, and seeing all the hype setups that you can pull off with bombs!! (Toon Link is actually so hype) but I never wanted to put in the time to learn all the tech skill exclusive to Toon Link because I'm a very lazy person. BUT THAT HAS ALL CHANGED NOW!!!

I spent tons of time in the lab mastering all the JCT bomb catches and all that fun stuff so now my tech skill is not amazing but at a level where I look really intimidating on for glory XD

ONE PROBLEM HOWEVER... I have no idea how to apply these in game.

As a pika main I am a naturally very aggressive player and I love getting in your face but I know I have to be a little less pushy with toon link because he doesn't have the same close range ability that pikachu has. I've been watching Hyuga a lot to see kinda what he does and it's helped me understand this character way better, but I struggle with offence.

I have a couple questions for you experience toon link mains (I plan on becoming a toon link main btw):

1. When should I NOT pull out a bomb, I know it's great to always have one but I'm sure there are times like maybe when im trying to land when I shouldn't be trying to whip a bomb out.

2. TO WHAT EXTENT should I be approaching? I noticed Hyuga rarely approaches and is usually zoning out with boomerangs and waiting for hit stun from one of his projectiles to go in a little. I want to know often I should be running in with the bomb tricks

3. When to use a bomb vs when to use a boomerang vs when to use arrows

4. best ways to land (I have a hard time landing with him since im used to pika being a fast faller)

THANK YOU in advance for any advice you give me, and I apologize if there are any threads covering these topics already as I am brand new to the toon link scene

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
What's better at higher percents? Jab to down smash, or double jab to down smash?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
1. When should I NOT pull out a bomb, I know it's great to always have one but I'm sure there are times like maybe when im trying to land when I shouldn't be trying to whip a bomb out.

2. TO WHAT EXTENT should I be approaching? I noticed Hyuga rarely approaches and is usually zoning out with boomerangs and waiting for hit stun from one of his projectiles to go in a little. I want to know often I should be running in with the bomb tricks

3. When to use a bomb vs when to use a boomerang vs when to use arrows

4. best ways to land (I have a hard time landing with him since im used to pika being a fast faller)
1. Pretty much whenever you believe the opponent would be able to reach you if they approached at that moment, which can be made more difficult e.g. by making their potential approach either impossible or difficult due to hitstun/shieldstun/lag/and created-distance.
2. The extent to which you approach or not will depend upon so many factors. Who's ahead in stock/percents, is the opponent playing campy, are they out-camping you, are they getting too comfortable shielding your projectiles, are they approaching with shield or speed or rolls etc, your position on the stage relative to them, are you finding that you're becoming too predictable with your spam, are you finding that they are just waiting and punishing you when you approach, do they prefer to approach from the air or on the ground, do their moves out-range yours, how good are their OoS options, how much do you stand to lose/gain from a single up-close punish, etc. There's no straight forward answer and there's certainly no formula that will apply to all situations.
3. It's just a matter of recognising their inherent properties and applying them to actual situations. E.g. Bombs are better to use against attacks/hitboxes because they can beat them whereas the other two will have no effect. Boomerangs and arrows are better against shields because the Bomb (not the bomb blast, just the bomb itself) doesn't inflict any shield-stun. More obvious stuff to do with what areas they can cover, for how long, with what sized hitbox. Etc.
4. Nair is surprisingly alright to land with if you use it just before you land, but what you'd want to be doing is attempting to cover your landings with bombs using your mobility to get away or land behind them, or else go to the edge (mixups involving FF, airdodge then tether is your friend here). In a pinch you can attempt to footstool them too. The thing you have to accept is that it's meant to be a disadvantageous position, so maybe try better to avoid it in the first place.

What's better at higher percents? Jab to down smash, or double jab to down smash?
In short, Jab 1 but not the very tip of the sword. http://smashboards.com/threads/trea...h-lab-and-at-list.380910/page-8#post-20477540

Noge

Smash Cadet
When running, I struggle to input something else than dash atacks and grabs... I'm sure i loose frames when i try to input tilts, what is the correct way to input tilts or pivot when running? :s
I'm sure there are threads about it.. but I can't find them. D:

Last edited:

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
This is one of the inherent commitments of dashing. Unlike walking you cant simply do any tilt or smash. You can do turn around forward tilt while you are dashing but thats the only tilt you have access to while dashing.

Bizarre x jay

Smash Rookie
Hey this is my first post on here so I'm not sure if it has already been answered but I was just wondering how useful are techniques like perfect pivoting and dash dancing when playing Toon Link like perfect pivoting into up tilt or does it have little use.

Last edited:

Ventius

Smash Rookie
Hey this is my first post on here so I'm not sure if it has already been answered but I was just wondering how useful are techniques like perfect pivoting and dash dancing when playing Toon Link like perfect pivoting into up tilt or does it have little use.
Perfect pivot uptit has been such a good approach option lately, and it can lead to an aerial as well. Dash dancing is kinda useless but sometimes I dash dance to grab on shield its a mixup but not really useful or nessesary. However perfect pivots are extremely good for TL

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Hello Tink boards! I'm a Ryu main looking for a secondary to cover my bad MU's. I tried out Tink for a while in the past and did pretty well with him, but stopped to devote time to Ryu. I've had trouble with Cloud and read that Tink is a problematic matchup for him. What do you guys think of the MU?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

TrashWizard

Smash Cadet
NNID
n1nj4t2
My friend who I am training (I guess student in this manner) is looking to pick up toon link, is there any bread and butter combos that all toon link mains have to learn?

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Bombs don't hurt you if they hit the opponent. They will hurt if they explode on their own or explode on the floor.
Dash attack was a fast semi-spike in Brawl. Now it's to an attack that's kinda fast, retains its high endlag, and sends them at a sakurai angle. And it practically never kills.
Boomerang glitch gone, so it technically does like 3% fewer damage than it used to.
Nair does less damage
No shorthop double bair
Fair doesn't autocancel from shorthop, although IASA frames still end before shorthop.
Bair has higher endlag.
Nerfed height on up-B
Dair doesn't bounce on opponents (pogo). Instead, you just go straight through. Reduced landing lag.
No more "quickdraw" on arrows.

Global changes
airdodge -> zair isn't a thing anymore because lag.
tether is hella long and you grab the ledge from tether way faster. And you swing instead of flop down.
tether grabs have reduced lag
To z-drop with tether characters without the tether coming out, you have a... 2-frame window? I think? Right after jumping? You cna do it right after dropping through platforms too.

I'm not a toon main anymore. Some of this might've been wrong.
I just tried to give the general stuff without listing percents and ****. Sorry.

Last edited:

theyellowgreninja

Smash Rookie
What are Tlinks worst and best matchups? Or maybe just a forum for that topic? I can't for the life of me find a page for that.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Been getting back into Melee and I've found that Young Link is one of my favourite characters in that game. Never really used Tink that much in Sm4sh so I was wondering if the 2 are very similar. Didn't see the question posted in the FAQ or on this page as I skimmed down it. I know of quite a few differences between the characters:
-Tink is floatier
-4 of his aerials are different with nair being 2 slashes rather than a sex kick, fair being a single slash rather than 2 (though it still only counts as 1 hit in Melee for Yink) bair is a single slash rather than 2 kicks and dair is a stall then fall and it doesn't even pogo like it did in Brawl so there's basically no off stage use for it
-no combo throws to my knowledge but instead he has a kill throw in bthrow
-bombs don't hurt Tink if he throws them and they hit someone near him
-zair doesn't grab the stage but rather the ledge, it doesn't put him in helpless and in most circumstances, he immediately uses it if he zdrops a bomb
-pretty sure the tip of dtilt doesn't meteor
-arrows are far less affected by gravity
-Hylian shield works far better than the Deku Shield
-no multijab option for Tink
-Tink can't hit his own bombs with aerials
-dash attack not being a kill option, fsmash connects better I think, dsmash isn't a semi spike but instead the first hit leads into the second which sends vertically iirc, usmash is a single slash rather than 3
-general things like no l-cancelling, different air dodge and therefore no wavedash, jump cancel item tossing and b-reverse/wavebouncing being a thing, shields being safer I believe?
Guessing Tink plays a far more defensive oriented game than Yink. I mentioned to my cousin how I like Yink because he can easily run away and throw **** at people and Tink seems to be able to do that just fine. Biggest issues I can see with going from Yink to Tink is the lower fall speed and the arrows.

TL;DR Does Tink play similar enough to Yink from Melee for someone to easily go from Yink to Tink?

iAft3rbang

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAft3rbang
I'm trying to land those BFO. I'm having a hard time to instant throw after doing a backward BFO. Backward jump to bombthrow to instant throw (air dodge cancel to throw). I can land instant throws constantly, but as soon as I try it with a backward BFO, i can't get the right timing and always end up airdodging or aerial attack while holding the bomb.

I'm also trying to figure if I should do it with A or C stick.

Top Bottom