• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Pirate's Charm - READ BEFORE POSTING - The Toon Board Rules / Q&A Thread

Any tips for footsies at 150% (Or generally high percents for both guys)? I keep being too scared to grab or get anything out of projectile stuff, and end up dying in the end. Its one of my biggest problems. I keep poking with my projectiles, but I chicken out when it just hits their shield. I can probably get a grab, but I'm scared of them rolling/spot dodging and then punishing

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
My overall impression was that he played a very up-close and aggressive bait and punish game where he would continually threaten to approach. He had great use of falling Nair as a poke and a landing option, bomb to U-smash for good damage, and dash attack for quick guaranteed punishes. In general he had a very solid ground-game which he seemed to prefer over aerial approaches.

FOR SCIENCE

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackvhb
My overall impression was that he played a very up-close and aggressive bait and punish game where he would continually threaten to approach. He had great use of falling Nair as a poke and a landing option, bomb to U-smash for good damage, and dash attack for quick guaranteed punishes. In general he had a very solid ground-game which he seemed to prefer over aerial approaches.
So basicaly melee marth with bombs?

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Hey.
Might as well either delete or open the option select thread. Ive been using one type of it and it actually works, and i thought of editing it in in the op. But its still only one.

I just made the thread really fast to make people aware of it and we could maybe find some stuff out together.

Edit: thanks, got it fixed now! Now to the lab guys!

Last edited:
Has anyone used fall down up air for anything?
I don't know what you mean exactly by "Fall down Up air" but I like to chase people when I launch them up into the air with an empty jump, and wait a little for the airdodge. And as we both fall down I initiate the Up air in order to catch their airdodge while following their DI, in order to punish the airdodge. Hope this helps any.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Are there any active, offline Toon Links who place well that I can watch recent videos of to get a good feel for the character (besides D_CKS, he is from my state)? Having a buttload of fun with this little guy.

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Can someone do me a favour?

I need a replay about where Toon Link is using Dair have a Hitconfirm and get punished hard for it. Like vs Captain Obvious. Just use Dair let him tech and eat a F-Smash and get killed by this. I would like to sent it to Sakurai and want to ask him, if this is balanced? Maybe it works, and he will fix this issue.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I have seen a lot of conflicting information regarding this topic so I want to be sure:

What is the general consensus on the :4tlink: vs :4sheik: MU? Hyuga and a few others make it look doable but I want to be sure.

I have seen a lot of conflicting information regarding this topic so I want to be sure:

What is the general consensus on the :4tlink: vs :4sheik: MU? Hyuga and a few others make it look doable but I want to be sure.
I have 2 friends that main Sheik, one really offensive, and one really defensive. They aren't top level, but they know their stuff, yet I don't lose very often to them. Sure I struggle, but I think its pretty even from my experience.

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
If you meet a really strong sheik that only use safe approach, knows how to use needles, has a good punishgame and knows the MU, you will notice that you are not really even, but its definately not impossible.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Hi. I played Toon Link last night and I really like his movements (haven't liked a character nearly as much since I started playing MK) and kind of decided to train with him even if semi seriously.

Can you guys direct me to any sort of video or a guide for Toon Link's basic stuff? What I should and shouldnt be doing? Anything at all would be appreciated.

Oh, and so I don't be the guy who takes and not gives, here's a little AT that I believe would be amazing on Toon Link's side and down tilts: https://youtu.be/e_9RbkdZTuw

Looking forward to hear from you guys!

Phobos_

Smash Rookie
Question: When do you use Tink's down-tilt? I want to work d-tilt into my game since it's the one move I more or less never use, but it's not obvious to me when it would be the superior option to either f-tilt or jab.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I have such a hard time dealing with shields, no matter what I just need to be aggressive, I try to zone, but I can't do it for long before being aggressive again.

Any good way to deal with shields? I also feel like that while I start out winning pretty well, I start sucking at the end and my opponent catches up quickly, I am sooooo bad at finding my mistakes and finding out what I do wrong to try and win. I also have trouble trying to be less.....predictable I guess? Just so my opponents don't easily find out my game plan.

Question: When do you use Tink's down-tilt? I want to work d-tilt into my game since it's the one move I more or less never use, but it's not obvious to me when it would be the superior option to either f-tilt or jab.
I like to do it as a mixup out of two jabs, I also use it as a little poke now and then instead of jab. But generally I like to use jab more, its faster.

I have such a hard time dealing with shields, no matter what I just need to be aggressive, I try to zone, but I can't do it for long before being aggressive again.

Any good way to deal with shields? I also feel like that while I start out winning pretty well, I start sucking at the end and my opponent catches up quickly, I am sooooo bad at finding my mistakes and finding out what I do wrong to try and win. I also have trouble trying to be less.....predictable I guess? Just so my opponents don't easily find out my game plan.
I like to use my projectiles in a matter that they sort of trap the opponent in shield now and then. If you do so, you can pressure them into shield, and grab them. Grab beats shield, and Toon Link is really good at getting people into their shields with projectiles. You can scare them with a boomerang (or a returning one). Or if you drop a bomb on someone's shield its a free grab, either they get hit by it while you run up to grab, or they're mentally locked in shield because they don't want to get hit by it then you grab them. Although we have pretty bad throws, this is one of the easiest ways to punish shield. And if you condition them not to be so into using their shield, your aggressive side could probably prove useful I guess by punishing rolls or spot dodges.

Last edited by a moderator:

rowcla

Smash Rookie
Earlier today I managed to do something weird, and I have actually no idea how I even did it.

I saved the replay, and took an incredibly low quality recording of it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2ZhO6pyhY

Somehow I managed to drop the bomb I was holding, without any kind of hookshot or animation, and then regrab it almost immediately afterwards with an air dodge effect (which presumably was what I did to grab it) the only way I actually knew I had done this was due to the sound effects you can hear in the video.

I assume I accidentally pulled off some known tech, though I'm interested in what it was, and what I did to do it

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Earlier today I managed to do something weird, and I have actually no idea how I even did it.

I saved the replay, and took an incredibly low quality recording of it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2ZhO6pyhY

Somehow I managed to drop the bomb I was holding, without any kind of hookshot or animation, and then regrab it almost immediately afterwards with an air dodge effect (which presumably was what I did to grab it) the only way I actually knew I had done this was due to the sound effects you can hear in the video.

I assume I accidentally pulled off some known tech, though I'm interested in what it was, and what I did to do it
There are a few known ways to z-drop the bomb without Zair coming out. You should read through the AT thread http://smashboards.com/threads/trea...esearch-lab-and-at-list.380910/#post-18102830
I believe that in this instance you Z-dropped the bomb out of tumble and then immediately airdodged to catch it again.

What did DH hit you with btw? And do you know what percent you were on before or after getting hit?

rowcla

Smash Rookie
There are a few known ways to z-drop the bomb without Zair coming out. You should read through the AT thread http://smashboards.com/threads/trea...esearch-lab-and-at-list.380910/#post-18102830
I believe that in this instance you Z-dropped the bomb out of tumble and then immediately airdodged to catch it again.

What did DH hit you with btw? And do you know what percent you were on before or after getting hit?
I was at 20% and got hit by an up smash which took me to 35%, DH was on 37%

Does look like I was in tumble, didn't realize that allowed me to drop the bomb without the zair. Kind of a pity, since it has pretty limited uses.

Cheers though!

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I was at 20% and got hit by an up smash which took me to 35%, DH was on 37%

Does look like I was in tumble, didn't realize that allowed me to drop the bomb without the zair. Kind of a pity, since it has pretty limited uses.

Cheers though!
Right, well it's just that I can't replicate exactly what happened. It used to be the case a while ago that you could z-drop without Zair out of hitstun, which comes before the tumble animation, but then this was changed so that now you have to wait for tumble now. Are you using a 3ds by any chance in that video? I'm wondering if it was never changed for the 3ds.
If that's on a wii-u, and it has the current patch, then I don't know how you did that.

rowcla

Smash Rookie
Right, well it's just that I can't replicate exactly what happened. It used to be the case a while ago that you could z-drop without Zair out of hitstun, which comes before the tumble animation, but then this was changed so that now you have to wait for tumble now. Are you using a 3ds by any chance in that video? I'm wondering if it was never changed for the 3ds.
If that's on a wii-u, and it has the current patch, then I don't know how you did that.
I am actually using a 3ds, yeah. Though, I'm on the latest version, and I can't really imagine that it would be any different. I mean, the physics engine is essentially the same, so unless it's some kind of weird bug caused by the processing system, I can't really see why it would be exclusive to the 3ds...

What exactly do you mean by "you have to wait for tumble now"? When exactly does that make the timing?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I am actually using a 3ds, yeah. Though, I'm on the latest version, and I can't really imagine that it would be any different. I mean, the physics engine is essentially the same, so unless it's some kind of weird bug caused by the processing system, I can't really see why it would be exclusive to the 3ds...

What exactly do you mean by "you have to wait for tumble now"? When exactly does that make the timing?
There are a few known differences between the two versions. It wouldn't surprise me if this was another minor difference.

You enter 'tumble' after hitstun has ended; you're able to act but if you don't you'll start flipping in mid air while falling, i.e. 'tumbling'.
I just remember that there was a time when I was able to z-drop directly after hitstun without the Zair coming out, as if buffering out of it, but then at some point this was changed for the wii-u and now you have to wait for a while after starting to fall before you can do it otherwise you'll just throw the bomb. It's dumb.

rowcla

Smash Rookie
There are a few known differences between the two versions. It wouldn't surprise me if this was another minor difference.

You enter 'tumble' after hitstun has ended; you're able to act but if you don't you'll start flipping in mid air while falling, i.e. 'tumbling'.
I just remember that there was a time when I was able to z-drop directly after hitstun without the Zair coming out, as if buffering out of it, but then at some point this was changed for the wii-u and now you have to wait for a while after starting to fall before you can do it otherwise you'll just throw the bomb. It's dumb.
I don't think I'm quite savvy enough to really tell you anything definitive from what I can see in the replay. Either way, that would just make it even less relevant, given how rare 3ds events are. And I assume that this doesn't apply if you're just using the 3ds as a controller for the WiiU version.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Well I can tell enough from the replay, i.e. how far you fell before you did it, and I can tell you that that's not nearly far enough to be able to do it on the wii-u version, so I'm pretty confident that there's a difference.
And no it wouldn't matter what controller you used. It's the game/version that matters not the controller. Someone would need to have both versions to know for sure, but then I don't really feel like walking someone through it if they're not sure what we're talking about. It's not really a big deal in any case, it's just something I'd be noting in the AT thread.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm sure this has already been asked, but I was doing sh rising zairs with a bomb in my hand, and sometimes the explosion would hit me from the ground and sometimes it wouldn't. Is this just a really precise frame input that I was messing up half the time?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm sure this has already been asked, but I was doing sh rising zairs with a bomb in my hand, and sometimes the explosion would hit me from the ground and sometimes it wouldn't. Is this just a really precise frame input that I was messing up half the time?
If you hit grab on frame 6 (first airborne frame transitioning out of the jump-squat) it'll do a Zairless Z-drop, then frames 7 to 10 will do Zair + z-drops without possibly getting hurt by the explosion, and then from frame 11 it is possible to be hit by the explosion (on frame 11 you have to have your foot positioned directly over the bomb) on your way down. So you were just doing it slightly too late I reckon. You could also try not being directly over the bomb.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
Is there any use for f-throw? I find it's a move I never end up using, and not because it's obviously bad like dair or something, I can just never find use for it since his other throws do the job well enough (b-throw kill at high percents combo at low, u-throw can combo in to aerials like u-air, d-throw is occasionally good for bair). The knockback and direction it sends people in I find can only be combo'd in to dash attack or a quick nair/fair against characters with big hurtboxes.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This is going to sound stupid, but how do you hit people with JC bombs?

I find the only times I can easily hit people with bombs is when they're offstage or when I'm the air, so they feel less threatened by it. But if I pull a bomb out on the ground they'll just shield it. Your options are pretty limited with a bomb in hand, I try use my other projectiles to bait an action but they can just shield all of it.

Lashurn

Smash Rookie
NNID
HexDarkWolf360
3DS FC
1075-1404-4255
I dont know if this is something that is discuraged, but, i dont know how to navigate posts/threads/whatever they are called too well yet on account i dont use smashboards often, but, how exactly do i make my own thread/page/post/whatever on here? (i use my wiiu so i've no clue if i need a pc to do so or if i need to get premiume for it)

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
All my questions at once:

Best Tinks to watch

Best tink guides

Where can I find a list of Tink combos

Best place to find advanced Tink info

tlm6403

Smash Rookie
So I’ve just started playing Toon Link a few weeks ago. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos on guides and what not, and everyone has been talking about JC tossing for bombs.

Now every time I try to implement the strategy when I’m actually playing, I often mess it up. To be more specific, the bomb will be thrown directly downwards, even if I’m holding the control stick to the left or right. Has anyone else had this problem before, and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
So I’ve just started playing Toon Link a few weeks ago. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos on guides and what not, and everyone has been talking about JC tossing for bombs.

Now every time I try to implement the strategy when I’m actually playing, I often mess it up. To be more specific, the bomb will be thrown directly downwards, even if I’m holding the control stick to the left or right. Has anyone else had this problem before, and is there anything I can do to fix it?
The only way I'm aware of that this could happen is if you're hitting the c-stick downwards to throw the bomb or you're tilting the joystick diagonally downwards. I'm guessing it's the later. If you're still getting used to using it, it's possible that you're unconsciously adjusting your grip of the controller when you go to execute it. Just practice it more.

tlm6403

Smash Rookie
The only way I'm aware of that this could happen is if you're hitting the c-stick downwards to throw the bomb or you're tilting the joystick diagonally downwards. I'm guessing it's the later. If you're still getting used to using it, it's possible that you're unconsciously adjusting your grip of the controller when you go to execute it. Just practice it more.
. Alright, thanks a lot! I'll try that out and see.

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
Is there any use for f-throw? I find it's a move I never end up using, and not because it's obviously bad like dair or something, I can just never find use for it since his other throws do the job well enough (b-throw kill at high percents combo at low, u-throw can combo in to aerials like u-air, d-throw is occasionally good for bair). The knockback and direction it sends people in I find can only be combo'd in to dash attack or a quick nair/fair against characters with big hurtboxes.
To be clear, Toon doesn't have any good combo throws, and his follow-ups are mostly nil if your opponent is doing anything to avoid it.

That said, toon's throws are mostly for getting people offstage, so if you grab someone while facing the ledge. You probably wanna fthrow to set up an edgeguard situation.

Basically, as Toon, if back throw will kill, use it, and if not, throw them offstage. I think there are some follow-ups you can get on certain chars and percents, but aside from that it's just positioning.

Last edited:

Phobos_

Smash Rookie
Toon Link's up-tilt is one of his most useful moves - comboing into itself at low percents to rack up damage, and into up-air at mid and high percents, and potentially setting up for a KO. But getting in for up-tilts can be tricky (or at least I find it tricky). What are good approaches to take for landing up-tilts consistently?

oBebi

Smash Rookie
I try to mix up my bomb approaches, feints, and whatnot; but when my opponent does shield them I'd like to improve my followups. So what are some good followups or setups, after a shielded bomb? Also, how do I practice my shielded bomb catching, any tips?

Grandma Wilkins

Smash Cadet
I try to mix up my bomb approaches, feints, and whatnot; but when my opponent does shield them I'd like to improve my followups. So what are some good followups or setups, after a shielded bomb? Also, how do I practice my shielded bomb catching, any tips?
After a shielded bomb, you have many options, many of which include re-catching the bomb, grab to immediate dthrow, or an aerial/tilt to predict a shield drop. Dtilt is very good for providing safe shield pressure. To practice shielded bomb catching, it is best to first get the technique down before anything else. Practicing with a partner is best for this. If a partner is not available, you could potentially use another controller to input shield on another character through your toes. This would probably work best by setting all of the right buttons to shield on a specific control setup.

tlm6403

Smash Rookie
I was wondering what controls you guys use. Do you use tap jump, and is it beneficial in any way to gameplay? Right now, I am comfortable with tap jump on. Should I change to no tap jump, or stick with what I'm comfortable with?

Also, I've been looking for a secondary lately to cover up some bad matchups (ex. Diddy). Right now, I've been using Meta Knight as a secondary character when needed. Could anyone provide some insight as to their secondary character, and whether or not Meta Knight is a good secondary to cover the matchups necessary?

P.S: I know that a thread was started about this in the past (started in April of last year), however the meta has changed since then, so I'd like someone to give an updated opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom