• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Picto Box - Toon Link Video & Critique Thread

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
Wow nice! You got really nice movement! And good projectile control. Alooot of bombs. Only things i want to mention is that you have a few bomb pull too much maybe, i see you get punished quite hard a few times due to that. Also the ness is showing a few weaknesses with his forward b which you could maybe punish even more. He loves using it also in air which is quite punishable. But to do that you have to play more on ground also, switch it up. I see you jumping alot and you seem to do it really well with your movement, but i would at least on lower to mid percents fight closer to ground also as its easier to got utilts in and use your dash speed more as you are faster. ( i see you doing it but just wanted to mention) But i fully understand that you want to fight more in air at higher percents due to his kill throw.

I would love to see you finish stronger out of your utilt comboes I would use uair as finisher, as it has never failed me yet vs competitive people.

And with your already amazing bomb play i could imagine how good it would be with C4 techs mastered.

Nice bairs btw!

might wanna work on some fakeouts but thats just me i play for the style and hype xD, but at least catch/insta throw part of it. Lot of bombs in the air you could use instead of pulling new bombs which leaves you open too often.

Thanks for uploading, I learned alot from watching :)
Hey thanks for the feedback I will definitely take some of those things into account. Yeah I've never met a TL who uses bombs quite like I do lol, but I definitely could be more careful with some of the pulls.

So what C4 techs are you referring to?

By the way, I haven't found any customs that I really like, but do you think from what you saw that I would benefit from a custom moveset? Thanks man =D

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Hey thanks for the feedback I will definitely take some of those things into account. Yeah I've never met a TL who uses bombs quite like I do lol, but I definitely could be more careful with some of the pulls.

So what C4 techs are you referring to?

By the way, I haven't found any customs that I really like, but do you think from what you saw that I would benefit from a custom moveset? Thanks man =D
Search for Yackabean on YouTube and look at his later matches and you will know what i mean :D there should be info about it on the toon link AT thread.

I don't think you need customs honestly. Maybe in specific matchups you can use like piercing arrow vs samus or megaman. Fire arrows vs spnic maybe.

Last edited:

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Heres a game where I won against Izaw, one of the best links out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMNRuHKtGQM

Here's my Toon Link combo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75TZEAuWbYY

Any critique is appreciated. :3
Nice! Solid play, looks very calm and controlled! :) that b reverse arrow caught him off guard often I might just steal that one :3

I think you can be more patient with your bombs sometimes, mix up your timings more when you throw. Can put a lot of pressure just even holding a bomb xD you can also work on your edge guarding. Otherwise really impressive play! I think good links can be difficult, but izaw of all must be a tough one :p good job!

JoshuaJJG

Smash Rookie
NNID
JoshuaJJG
Nice! Solid play, looks very calm and controlled! :) that b reverse arrow caught him off guard often I might just steal that one :3

I think you can be more patient with your bombs sometimes, mix up your timings more when you throw. Can put a lot of pressure just even holding a bomb xD you can also work on your edge guarding. Otherwise really impressive play! I think good links can be difficult, but izaw of all must be a tough one :p good job!
Thanks so much :D

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So well he seemed to be over shadowed by LEO and his dominance over Mr.R Hyuga got 3rd using Toon Link and did extremely well against Mr.R(believed he even 2 stocked him game one) what is the Toon Link boards thoughts and opinions about him and his performance?

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Hyuga used a lot of rolls in the beginning and got punished for them at the end. He used rolls -> utilt a lot, and that IS what pretty much got him the 2-stock on the first game, so I wonder if we should be considering that option more than we do now though.
Also seems like he learned the distance off the ground of when to execute a lagless falling airdodge. That's... also very useful and I don't know why I haven't learned that yet.
He's also letting his bomb explode in hand a lot, whether it's on shield or in the air.

UNRELATED:
https://youtu.be/NLLmUjWrzkU?t=8m55s
Damn... that was a shortened uair, but lol, it's pretty hard to *not* get hit by the uair nevertheless. It wouldn't have killed anyway though D':
Does anyone know if it still completely outlasts airdodges in this game? I'm still using it with that Brawl mindset.
https://youtu.be/NLLmUjWrzkU?t=6m13s
Unlike Link, if Toon Link fires his bow in midair, he puts it away almost immediately when he lands. This makes it easy to use a quick follow-up.;___________________;
Sakurai......... please just give us back our quickdraw...............
https://youtu.be/NLLmUjWrzkU?t=19m30s
The bomb! HE GOT THE BOOMB!!!
xD

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hyuga used a lot of rolls in the beginning and got punished for them at the end. He used rolls -> utilt a lot, and that IS what pretty much got him the 2-stock on the first game, so I wonder if we should be considering that option more than we do now though.
Also seems like he learned the distance off the ground of when to execute a lagless falling airdodge. That's... also very useful and I don't know why I haven't learned that yet.
He's also letting his bomb explode in hand a lot, whether it's on shield or in the air.
His playstyle really caught me off guard too. So many rolls, airdodges and U-tilts. Bomb to U-smash for damage (instead of to Fair, which keeps Fair fresh for kills), interesting. And I have to mention his projectile game; very deliberate, patient and conservative, no mindless spam. Just look at that patience while holding a bomb, waiting for the right opportunity to throw it.
https://youtu.be/NLLmUjWrzkU?t=8m55s
Damn... that was a shortened uair, but lol, it's pretty hard to *not* get hit by the uair nevertheless. It wouldn't have killed anyway though D':
Does anyone know if it still completely outlasts airdodges in this game? I'm still using it with that Brawl mindset.
Yeah it does, the problem was that Toon landed just before Sheik.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Just uploaded a replay with the new youtube upload feature, it's more of a "look at how good I am, this guy got rekt!" kind of video but I can't be bothered to upload another right now. I think it still shows off my play style and habits, I'll probably upload another soon though. Any advice on how to improve would be appreciated (I'm getting in the habit of using zair more right now)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnE43ZnU37Q

kaymao

Smash Rookie
Hey I just wanted to say that I found a cool combo for TL at around 35-80%. Not sure if its a guaranteed combo but what you have to do is throw a bomb at any character, and then footstool them and as you are coming down from the air you can either Dair or Fair or any other combo.

D

Deleted member

I saw a lot of times he ran up and shielded and didn't get punished, and he stood there utilting/roll utilted alot and Mr. R ran into it a lot.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and yes, bomb footstool dair is amazing. it does about 20% but beware of the tech.

also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9tKdComUH4

Last edited by a moderator:

kaymao

Smash Rookie
@Zan- that combo is sick! Didnt know people were getting that creative lol. And is there any guaranteed boomerang combos that you know of, and who would be a good secondary for TL.?

D

Deleted member

@Zan- that combo is sick! Didnt know people were getting that creative lol. And is there any guaranteed boomerang combos that you know of, and who would be a good secondary for TL.?
boomerang has the same combos as bomb pretty much if you get the sweetspot which is up close

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
instead of the standard bomb - jump - fair/uair you can sweet spot rang - jump - bomb - jump - fair for more damage. I feel that was around 27%
edit:
might make a video showcasing some of my favourite bnb tink combos/strings.

Last edited:

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Since you guys were all about footstools and stuff Id thought I would share my past discoveries! Thanks to the patch Ill bother posting vids! xD

This is one is actually pretty easy to do and can be quite useful if you manage to react to a succesful sweetspot rang.

This is probably one of my more difficult discoveries and takes time to get the hang of. This is purely for style and show off, as you can DI away after the second rang. xD

As you can see I do the izac drop from footstool, this does not work on everyone.

What works on everyone (unless DIed correctly) from 55 percent and up is:

sweetspot rang -> footstool -> bombthrow down -> sweetspot rang -> (double jump if needed) -> up b (safest) or fair.

This is true combo if done perfect vs bad DI.
Also with upb 2 this is a kill combo on like 65 ish percent on average.

I will make a video clip if it is demand for it! :)

Last edited:

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
@ Moffe Moffe that is so sick. Have you found out any true combos with Zair?
At certain percents zair to dash grab is pretty much guaranteed.
You also have zair to nair (true combo with correct timing and spacing)
Then you also have zair to pp (perfect pivot) utilt which can lead to more true combo (uair, nair, usmash sometimes or up b) or strings (bait air dodge to either new utilt, grab, rang or smash attack)

at around 110% and up (depending on character, its like way lower on ryu) zair will make them tumble and they fall pretty fast.
If you catch them off guard you can jab reset them with an arrow, which gives you all the time in the world to do whatever you want. Run up with a charged smash attack is probably safest.

also with zair canceling on ledges with bomb in hand gives you a ton of opportunites if you manage to get a good placed zair.
(check out Zans video with zair canceling)

Ikari Team hyuga

Smash Rookie
Hi, Im hyuga =). In the MU Sheik Vs. TL, if u know it, is pretty even, because, u can kill to Sheik 90%-120% With rage, all the time, u must stay in the Ground, TL in the air is, extremly slow, u just get 40-50% of damage, if ur jump xD. In this game, the Roll is very good option, u can try to fool with it. If u can conect one Uptilt, u do 30%-40%, with momentum, u get the stock

A good Toon Link should be basic, no fantastic.

Is like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT5uD0UX2x0 If u jump a lot, ur death. I think, in Smash 4, the metagame of Toon link must be ground

Last edited by a moderator:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
... god.
Being a Brawl -> Smash 4 Toon main transfer, I keep on forgetting that Toon's strong point isn't the air anymore because his zair got butchered... Q______Q
Meanwhile, on another note, dat new YouTube UI...

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Is like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT5uD0UX2x0 If u jump a lot, ur death. I think, in Smash 4, the metagame of Toon link must be ground
I honestly think tink has a pretty good air game, nothing special but not particularly bad. I would however agree that some matchups it is best to just stay on the ground and camp.

... god.
Being a Brawl -> Smash 4 Toon main transfer, I keep on forgetting that Toon's strong point isn't the air anymore because his zair got butchered... Q______Q
Meanwhile, on another note, dat new YouTube UI...
the new youtube layout just bothers me, I don't know why, maybe I just hate change on youtube.

Ikari Team hyuga

Smash Rookie
I honestly think tink has a pretty good air game, nothing special but not particularly bad. I would however agree that some matchups it is best to just stay on the ground and camp.

the new youtube layout just bothers me, I don't know why, maybe I just hate change on youtube.
Here in México, if i jump, in the 60% of the case, i get a greaaat punish. Tl is slow when he take the bomb/boomerang/Zair.
Be very careful.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I made a combo video a couple weeks ago, nothing too special, but I think it's pretty decent lol.

Idk if this would be considered a plug, if it is then feel free to report this :]]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZFLZdyiBQQ
Great video, I'm actually working on a combo video right now (in the getting footage stage), and you showed yourself getting falcon punched, BRUH

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Hi, Im hyuga =). In the MU Sheik Vs. TL, if u know it, is pretty even, because, u can kill to Sheik 90%-120% With rage, all the time, u must stay in the Ground, TL in the air is, extremly slow, u just get 40-50% of damage, if ur jump xD. In this game, the Roll is very good option, u can try to fool with it. If u can conect one Uptilt, u do 30%-40%, with momentum, u get the stock

A good Toon Link should be basic, no fantastic.

Doesnt hurt to have some surplus in technique xP personally I kind of play for the style, not just to win, unless it's money on the line ofc.

I think your basic idea is really good but I feel the more different mixups that you know the better (doesn't mean you should use all of them all the time). And yeah I agree with staying on ground for most of it for most matchups. (When it comes to neutral) But don't underestimate a toon link in the air who mastered z drops, zac and zair.

Also about boomerang not being safe I totally agree. When I face really good players they react on boomerang animation, dash perfect shield and punish hard. I haven't many who can punish zair too well.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Thanks! but what is JCBTs? XD
Jump cancel bomb toss
Also, you use the same costume as me when playing tink, and have a pretty similar playstyle... illuminati confirmed?
Overused jokes aside, I saw at the beginning you did a grab release to jab, I only ever thought about using grab releases around the ledge, is grab release to jab a true combo? And are grab releases in any way affected by % (I highly doubt it). It looks like you may be able to grab release into boomerang (I'll test later) and if you can then that's a killing combo; grab release - sweetspot rang - fair/uair

Gamer Nq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nq_Being_pro
Jump cancel bomb toss
Also, you use the same costume as me when playing tink, and have a pretty similar playstyle... illuminati confirmed?
Overused jokes aside, I saw at the beginning you did a grab release to jab, I only ever thought about using grab releases around the ledge, is grab release to jab a true combo? And are grab releases in any way affected by % (I highly doubt it). It looks like you may be able to grab release into boomerang (I'll test later) and if you can then that's a killing combo; grab release - sweetspot rang - fair/uair
It depends on the character, after u grab release, u can get sometimes a jab, after the first jab, they can sheild :/ (link can get all 3 jabs he if doesnt sheild quickly)

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Too bad you cant grabrelease, jab, regrab for mixup. Though grab release to returning boomerang is no joke! :)

Gamer Nq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nq_Being_pro
Too bad you cant grabrelease, jab, regrab for mixup. Though grab release to returning boomerang is no joke! :)
when i tried that, it works if u jab second jab. then first jab, then grab,

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
There are no combos in this game out of a grab release, except for Marth/Lucina aerial grab releasing into custom Up-b 2. www.smashboards.com/threads/grab-release-mega-thread-spoilers-almost-zero-combos.373720/
So no. Grab release to Jab is by no means a thing. The opponent can either shield or use a faster attack, which isn't difficult seeing as Toon's Jab is a dismal frame 6 move. To make this point clearer, in a grounded grab release both you and the opponent can act at the same time; shield is active on frame 1, and if the opponent's character has a move that hits earlier than frame 6 that reaches you (most characters do), trying to Jab them predictably every time will just get you punished.

Oh and I should note, concerning the vid, jumping towards the opponent and pulling a bomb in the neutral is a bad habit. Also it's very difficult to tell how good a player is or where they need to improve by looking at a highlight vid. Uploading a whole match (or better still, a whole set) against a player who is better than you is what's best if you're after critique.

Top Bottom