• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Picto Box - Toon Link Video & Critique Thread

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Risky thing at 1:38, but still neat. https://youtu.be/vGs7lgxAtXo?t=1m38s
Dude. This is insane. Ok, think for a second, imagine if you were holding a Bomb. Combo boomerang into Up-B which takes people all the way to the blast zone and kills them, then boom, and you use another Up-B to get back safely.
I have to check this out.

ss3katen

Smash Rookie
NNID
ss3katen
Thanks so much to all of you guys on this
Thread. I've found a lot of good videos because of you guys
I did this on accident against a greninja on for glory. Tested it a bit in training and it was easy to accomplish. Not sure if it'll be too situational to accomplish regularly, but either way it made me start thinking of some fun boomerang techs.

https://instagram.com/p/0jOW7JhPcv/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My Toon Link that I really need help and assistance on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFT83Htfmos
The boomerang is really good for making it harder for the opponent to land, so if you're going to throw a bomb out when an opponent is above you you should try to throw the boomerang as well. Also, you shouldn't use the arrows so much, but it was hard to tell if that was lag messing up your inputs there. Zairing more is another thing since it has more range than nair and has better follow-ups (grab, usmash, nair, etc).

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Should have a few things to upload soon so I'll post when stuff are ready to be examined :p

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Got a lot of sets for ya guys from yesterdays tournament. I got 2nd btw :)
Most of them are vs Sheik (go figure) and one that includes sheik/olimar

vs Nexus (Sheik) - this isn't a very high level sheik and is mostly just me bodying him, watch if you want to see a combo video LOL
vs Rich Brown (Sheik/Olimar)
vs K9 in Winners Semis (Sheik)
vs K9 in Grand Finals (Sheik)
What the actual **** Zan XD. You beast. I'm taking notes here.
That reversed boomerang gliding was so effective, Zairless Z-drops on the ledgehops being useful, U-tilt to Uair on all day percents. Oh and that movement while you're holding bombs e.g. where you dash in toward them. Like can we just take a second to say how effective this is? just changing up that momentum, it's really nice. Those really quick tether recoveries converted into attacking momentum with a quick drop off the ledge to double jump bomb throw, that was sick; like in your last video at 13:55, wtf was that even, I'm stealing this XD.

Last edited:

Kleric

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrOrdun
These are inspirational! I really need to learn how to move around like you do as well as get bomb fake-outs down pat, they seemed really useful.
And was there a technique used to possibly make your Up-special recovery go higher up? Because I saw you recover from low distances that I could never hope to come back from. O.o

D

Deleted member

These are inspirational! I really need to learn how to move around like you do as well as get bomb fake-outs down pat, they seemed really useful.
And was there a technique used to possibly make your Up-special recovery go higher up? Because I saw you recover from low distances that I could never hope to come back from. O.o
Save your jump haha

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Wouldn't argue with you there. Diddy's dash start up animation ends super fast. He has the best on in the game I think giving him stupidly good ground momentum. I've been hearing from somewhere diddy kongs don't really like fighting Toon Link that much too. I'm still majorly convinced we can keep tihs MU somewhat even.
What works very well against shielded diddys with a banana is simply holding a bomb in shield, and throwing it after they throw the banana. You will win every time. Unless they are super close to you, like within grabbing range...then it becomes hard to pull off.

GucciBoy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7707-0821

vs Nexus (Sheik) - this isn't a very high level sheik and is mostly just me bodying him, watch if you want to see a combo video LOL
vs Rich Brown (Sheik/Olimar)
vs K9 in Winners Semis (Sheik)
vs K9 in Grand Finals (Sheik)

First I would like to say, Zan.... why did you do that shiek so greasy? Don't do him like that, that was child abuse.
My fellow toon link players, prepare yourselves....... THE FORBIDDEN TOON LINK COMBO

(Viewers discretion is advised) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFX2Vr7i9j4

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

ss3katen

Smash Rookie
NNID
ss3katen
Thanks everyone who contributes to these toon link threads

I just played my first tournament
I entered the Norcal regionals and got 3rd in my bracket using Toon Link and Ness I was the only toon link I saw in the tournament, not sure if there were others. Here's the link to my bracket ( ncr2015.challonge.com/SSB42 ) I ended up beating a really good sheik named SKS, thanks so much for anyone who has ever posted a toon Link sheik matchup on here
I got knocked into the losers bracket by Zex who I believe is currently ranked 4th in Smash 4 in the socal power rankings. He was a brutal sheik who bullied me pretty hardcore. In the losers bracket I ended up barely beating crispytacoz and making to semifinals where 3hai diddy kong'd the **** out of me

Only 2 people from each pool made it to top 16 tomorrow which will be streamed, so I just missed making it out of pools.
But overall it was an amazing experience. I had a lot of people come shake my hand for beating SKS and Crispytacoz and people were stoked to see a toon link main I also got an honorable mention on the showdown twitch channel for knocking SKS and Crispytacoz out of the brackets and making it so far in my first tournament
I'll post vids soon. Probably not great quality because they're just from my girlfriends iPhone while she stood behind us. I definitely couldn't have done it without your guys help. Thanks again

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Been playing a lot more Toon Link lately versing my friends, I'd like some tips outside of the general don't use dair because I'm starting to lose to my friends Diddy Kong way too much, maybe it's just a bad match up but it feels more like I lack the skill right now.

https://youtu.be/Np_Md87OnrA

Will probably upload some more but it was already midnight when I started this one.

ss3katen

Smash Rookie
NNID
ss3katen
So here's the vid of me getting bodied by NME Zex and getting 3rd in my pool at NorCal regionals. Sheiks gravity grenade definitely kind of overwhelmed me. Tips welcome :)
youtu.be/h2DozctATGQ

D

Deleted member

Been playing a lot more Toon Link lately versing my friends, I'd like some tips outside of the general don't use dair because I'm starting to lose to my friends Diddy Kong way too much, maybe it's just a bad match up but it feels more like I lack the skill right now.

https://youtu.be/Np_Md87OnrA

Will probably upload some more but it was already midnight when I started this one.
Don't use the arrows so much, they're too predictable. And at the start of the match it's generally better to either throw a boomerang or pull a bomb, depending on the match-up. Also you should hop around more when using projectiles, always using them from the ground can get too predictable + it makes it easier for the opponent to power shield them then punish their ending lag. Zair and bair are good for spacing (zair out of a short hop and bair out of a full hop), and zair is good for starting up combos, so you should use those more.
LOOK! LOOK! I FOLLOWED YOUR GUYS' ADVICE! I think I really improved! Tell me what I need to work on now!
Your combos are pretty good. I think the main thing you need to work on is mixing up your spam and mixing up your approaches more. Some ideas for mixing up approaches: short hop zair, dashing in towards the opponent then dashing out to fake them out, run up and shield while holding a bomb, etc.
So here's the vid of me getting bodied by NME Zex and getting 3rd in my pool at NorCal regionals. Sheiks gravity grenade definitely kind of overwhelmed me. Tips welcome :)
youtu.be/h2DozctATGQ
Good stuff. As for tips, vs Sheik it's generally better to go for a fsmash instead of a usmash to end utilt strings, especially if it looks like Sheik will fall out early. On Smashville it's also a good idea to camp Sheik from the platform, especially if she's trying to needle camp you. Also, when Sheik is using her upb to get to the ledge there's a short period of time where she's vulnerable to get hit, so when edge guarding her you should be ready to use ftilt, fsmash, or dair to try to hit her during that period of time. Avoid the edges of the stage as much as possible vs Sheik, and when you end up off-stage or far on one end of the stage just focus on being closer to the center. Sheik edge guards the crap out of TL, so the more time you spend there, the more damage you're going to eat.

RancidLeaf

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlyLeaf
@Zan-
On that last WF match against K9:
Do you think the fair > bouncing fish at 2:27 & 7:36 could have been avoided (assuming the fairs connected)?

Also, your tech to his vanish at 5:06 reminds me of how teching things on stage walls leaves us in a really awkward, perhaps unsafe position. I've been in such situations before, and feel like if I had the presence of mind at the time of the tech, Tink could potentially reverse a boomerang or arrow in order to position himself under the stage, what I'd like to think is a safer position to recover from. Although I did see K9 waited to see how the situation played out, so I'm not sure how effective the reversed projectile after tech could actually be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@Zan-
On that last WF match against K9:
Do you think the fair > bouncing fish at 2:27 & 7:36 could have been avoided (assuming the fairs connected)?

Also, your tech to his vanish at 5:06 reminds me of how teching things on stage walls leaves us in a really awkward, perhaps unsafe position. I've been in such situations before, and feel like if I had the presence of mind at the time of the tech, Tink could potentially reverse a boomerang or arrow in order to position himself under the stage, what I'd like to think is a safer position to recover from. Although I did see K9 waited to see how the situation played out, so I'm not sure how effective the reversed projectile after tech could actually be.
The first fair to bouncing fish was just my fault for not airdodging, 2nd one was guaranteed

D

Deleted member

Got a video uploading soon (hopefully). I lost but it was close, I know how I messed up and I choked a lot. He out spaced me and didn't give me that much room to work with. It was risky, but I tried to play a different kind of playstyle vs Sheik and it shouldn't really work but I got closer (probably MU inexperience). I tried to play a little bit more aggressive to see how it would go. I'll edit post when its uploaded

RiRinKal

Smash Rookie
NNID
RiRinKal
Last edited:

Bdude

Smash Rookie
NNID
BdudeGames
so i played with jtails the other day and recorded the replays of some of the matches. But i feel you guys can help elevate my game a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUxEJyNH_MA
I've being working on fast falling more and trying to generally speed up my game. Other than some bad dairs (thought i could catch him a few times lol) what do you see that i did well, what i can work on, and what i should incorporate more into the game play (eg short hop zairs)

Last edited:

Jtails

Smash Lord
so i played with jtails the other day and recorded the replays of some of the matches. But i feel you guys can help elevate my game a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUxEJyNH_MA
I've being working on fast falling more and trying to generally speed up my game. Other than some bad dairs (thought i could catch him a few times lol) what do you see that i did well, what i can work on, and what i should incorporate more into the game play (eg short hop zairs)
I think you had really great grab reads, which is tough for Toon Link to commit to effectively. I think you could work on punishing landings a bit better with bomb tosses and comboing into KO moves like fair. Though I'm sure a lot of the other Toon Link mains on here could tell you better.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
So I faced this really good Mega-Man today, I'll be leaving this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdR4kB_v6Is&feature=youtu.be

I've been trying to implement Toon Link's techs in my everyday play but it's kind of difficult because:
1. I forget to dash shield a lot.
2. I focus too much on trying to do something that it costs me severely.
3. When I Nair I forget to retreat (see how I get punished hard when he shields my Nairs)
4. (Once again) I focus on my next move instead of letting it flow naturally.

Can I get some feedback please? I've been struggling a lot lately lol.

Top Bottom