• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Picto Box - Toon Link Video & Critique Thread

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I have the solution for you! You just have to delay the second slash a little.

I was in the same situation. I would finally get a punish and fsmash my opponent. But the second slash always missed! Well, if you've noticed, your opponent is usually a bit too high for your second slash to hit him once you hit him with the first. Therefore, after your first slash connects, pause a little, then send out your second slash. It will definitely hit your opponent.
Niiice, thanks!

D

Deleted member

I've been meaning to get a replay to post here for a while, but I just remembered that I have no idea how I would get the video uploaded to Youtube since I don't have a phone or anything else with a camera. Does anyone know if there's any way to upload videos of stuff on the 3DS to Youtube without a camera, and without paying an enormous amount to have someone make it so it can record? I'm guessing the answer is "no", but I thought I'd at least try asking to see if anyone has any ideas. I was thinking maybe the video could be pulled off the SD card somehow, but then I remembered that the inputs are saved, not the actual video. But yeah, my TL is kind of crappy and could really use some critiquing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I've been meaning to get a replay to post here for a while, but I just remembered that I have no idea how I would get the video uploaded to Youtube since I don't have a phone or anything else with a camera. Does anyone know if there's any way to upload videos of stuff on the 3DS to Youtube without a camera, and without paying an enormous amount to have someone make it so it can record? I'm guessing the answer is "no", but I thought I'd at least try asking to see if anyone has any ideas. I was thinking maybe the video could be pulled off the SD card somehow, but then I remembered that the inputs are saved, not the actual video. But yeah, my TL is kind of crappy and could really use some critiquing.
Borrow a phone from someone I guess.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
A good idea to look overseas to see how Japan is playing certain characters that the US is so far pretty much ignoring in the meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpvpN6wxujk&list=UUpu15uRsvI2opP78cdslj3A
Really good Toon Link. Luigi had great projectile defense though, and was punishing grounded arrows pretty well.

Watching that made me realise I need to start working on my pivot grabs seeing as back throw at the edge can kill around 145%, and it's tough killing outside of fair, uair, and Usmash reads.

Good mix up. It's easy to fall back to familiar patterns that get very predictable with Toon Link.

Thanks Conda. Appreciate the encouragement of discussion for less popular characters. People don't know much about Toon Link to want to discuss him in the Competitive thread unfortunately.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A good idea to look overseas to see how Japan is playing certain characters that the US is so far pretty much ignoring in the meta.

While I'm sure TL mains in the West could learn a lot from TL mains in Japan since he seems to be more popular there, the TL in that video had some pretty glaring issues that definitely aren't good things to learn from. Way too much rolling, kept trying the same stuff that didn't work, went for the kill too early causing TL's kill moves to stale, etc.

Watching that made me realise I need to start working on my pivot grabs seeing as back throw at the edge can kill around 145%, and it's tough killing outside of fair, uair, and Usmash reads.
Speaking of pivot grabs, is anyone else sometimes ending up using ftilt when they tried to pivot grab? Any idea what causes this and how to prevent it? I tried playing around with it in training mode, and after trying for around ten minutes it seemed completely random whether I ended up doing a pivot grab or an ftilt. Though, I just started playing Smash again after having not played since I lost my Brawl disc in 2011, so maybe I'm forgetting something here. I remember pivot grabs being done by turning around then inputting a grab while running, and I don't remember ever accidentally ftilting in Brawl.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist

Do they always start a match with Jigglypuff self destructing?

By far my only complaint with smash bros matches has been the annoying giant text that covers the screen when a match starts, it always leaves me dazed for the first few seconds and not knowing what to do, unless I got a character with a decent projectile. The Jigglypuff Timer seems much fairer.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Do they always start a match with Jigglypuff self destructing?

By far my only complaint with smash bros matches has been the annoying giant text that covers the screen when a match starts, it always leaves me dazed for the first few seconds and not knowing what to do, unless I got a character with a decent projectile. The Jigglypuff Timer seems much fairer.
For tournaments you have to, as the jigglypuff player is the one with the capture card. So they have to be in the match and SD to continue watching (and recording) the match.

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
ah yeah, delaying the second hit is imporant now and it's really good now. Thanks to hitstun!

D

Deleted member

Finally found something to record with, so I uploaded some matches from a tournament I went to a few days ago. Anyone have any advice for my TL? I've watched the videos a few times over and already learned that I need to be less predictable with my projectiles, should be more campy and zair less against Megaman because I'll get jabbed if I try to zair him, and to stop fidgeting (Lol). What else? I would especially appreciate any advice for the Ness and ROB match-ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOaIZLz8W9k&index=6&list=PLesOxWT5Ul_jwnctcX4rTv7OliASMv30_

:170:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Finally found something to record with, so I uploaded some matches from a tournament I went to a few days ago. Anyone have any advice for my TL? I've watched the videos a few times over and already learned that I need to be less predictable with my projectiles, should be more campy and zair less against Megaman because I'll get jabbed if I try to zair him, and to stop fidgeting (Lol). What else? I would especially appreciate any advice for the Ness and ROB match-ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOaIZLz8W9k&index=6&list=PLesOxWT5Ul_jwnctcX4rTv7OliASMv30_

Seems to me like you missed a few punishes because you were camping so hard, at times when Marth was landing. Projectiles are TL's greatest asset but you should also keep up w/ some sword play that way your opponent doesn't feel so safe approaching (Marths just want to grab you lol). You should definitely use Uthrow more. You can then Jump, and if you read an airdodge or counter you can easily fish for an Uair or just go straight for the aerial. Also you had a lot of grab whiffs, if you're not sure if you'll grab him then you should avoid using it. Oh yeah and use Fsmash for the kill! works well on Marths. You're VERY good at getting back onto the stage safely, so one thing to keep in mind is if an opponent is laying down pressure on you, sometimes it's just best to be chased off the ledge.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Gonna upload a video explaining a new iBomb alternative in a few days. Dunoo wether to make a separate post or post it here. I'll think about it though.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Gonna upload a video explaining a new iBomb alternative in a few days. Dunoo wether to make a separate post or post it here. I'll think about it though.
Make it a separate post on the videos thread, link it to us on this thread...

Also please tag me once you post it so I get notified.

mush21

Smash Rookie
Oh what might have been..........nice use of bfo to d air to blc. That will surely be missed.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
yo.
I was fighting a DK on for glory (1.0.4.) when something odd happened with my bomb. After i Ko'ed Donkey i threw a bomb in the air.
I took out a new one and accidentally blow myself up with the first bomb, jumped one time and tried to throw my bomb under me.
Instead Tink made a Dair and the bomb was right next to me on the ground.

Anyone here who can explain me that?

The Video has bad quality and somehow the last second is missing but you can see it.
http://
www.
vidup.de/v/fgRSH/ (Link is splitted because: no 10 posts)

(sorry for my english lol)

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
So the bomb that was launched in the air fell on you, blew you up while you had a bomb in yoir hand. Then you jumped and pressed down A to throw the bomb down but instead your Fair came out and the bomb was dropped.

Hmm ill look into this

D

Deleted member

I was thinking maybe the bomb fell out of your hand from the hit from your bomb, but I didn't see the second bomb after the first one hit you in the video. That is really strange, and probably some weird glitch.

stripheR

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_wKx3Q2qDI

skip to about 1 minute from the end if you just want to see the end. welcome any critique on my play as well. SS had a little tourny going on tonight and I made it to the winner's final and got pwned by a little mac that ended up winning the whole tournament.

go easy on me, I've only been back to smash for 2 weeks now, and before that I played brawl a little at the library I worked at 5~ years ago ^_^ and of course even back then I only played toon link.

If there is interest I'll post up a vid also of me fighting another person that was actually at SmashStudios playing megaman that I was able to take down.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
lol @ the video title. Well, the kill was pretty chill.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
So I finally found something to record with, although the quality isn't that great. Here's a match I had with my friend earlier. I plan to upload more of my matches soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkakGbK3tvA
Seems like you were playing a bit too aggressively, w/ your Dair's and Fair aproaches. TL projectiles are good for setting up walls that force your opponents to approach from the air, so most of the time you wont have to approach someone if you don't want to.
You should work on recovering onto the stage safely, you were being pressured into airdodging a lot, which you should avoid because the huge landing lag. If you're sure you're going to be hit don't be afraid to use your second jump to pull out a bomb, or even intentionally go offstage when Fox has all the ground control. I see much room for improvement!

D

Deleted member

So I finally found something to record with, although the quality isn't that great. Here's a match I had with my friend earlier. I plan to upload more of my matches soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkakGbK3tvA
I think it would help a lot if you stopped rolling and if you used zair more. There were a bunch of times where you used arrows when you should've used zair, though you seemed to get better with it throughout the match. Personally, I've found zair to be very good against Fox (as it tends to be against most characters). As for the rolling, you can end up very badly punished for it if the opponent is good at noticing patterns. Throwing the boomerang upwards or downwards more often would be good, too, otherwise it gets predictable and the opponent will be able to avoid it. There were also some situations where things would've gone better if you threw the boomerang upwards or downwards, but you threw it straight instead. For edge guarding, you should try using your projectiles for baiting people into doing predictable ledge get-ups. Oftentimes if you're a good distance away from the ledge while shooting projectiles, but not too far, a lot of players will either jump or get up and shield, making it very easy to kick them off the stage again with fair (since they'll either get hit by the projectile you threw upwards or try to maneuver around it predictably) or fthrow depending on what they do.

Rayman!

Smash Cadet
NNID
mambur321
3DS FC
4122-5123-5521
It was always, but you do know you can do a uncharged arrow and even deflect a gordo at him, I really need a Wii U...

Lamato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lamato
3DS FC
4983-5234-2632
Everytime I do something like that, I can't help but feel dirty. :(

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKDsF3Ogriv0zzzYsg6eXXErBEUKLZoKD

Playlist of the tournament I attended in Aberdeen. Ended up coming first after grossly throwing it away Winner's finals against my mate. The dairs were just getting greedy as hell and I end up getting knee'd last game of Winners. Either way I brought it all back.

If you're wondering why set 2 of GF is only b03 it's because we were running low on time and we had to get going to catch our bus back home.

Some of the videos haven't ben added to the playlist yet or haven't been uploaded. At the time I'm posting this, GF's isn't uploaded because the set is over 30 minutes. (Yeah, last time we're ever doing 3 stocks...)

Hope you all enjoy watching my Toon Link, if you have any questions about the things I was doing feel free to ask.
And yes, I do know the spike on one of my games could have literally cost me a match but I had to style on that person, he was an arrogant guy who said he could beat me so I had to disrespectfully kill em ;D

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKDsF3Ogriv0zzzYsg6eXXErBEUKLZoKD

Playlist of the tournament I attended in Aberdeen. Ended up coming first after grossly throwing it away Winner's finals against my mate. The dairs were just getting greedy as hell and I end up getting knee'd last game of Winners. Either way I brought it all back.

If you're wondering why set 2 of GF is only b03 it's because we were running low on time and we had to get going to catch our bus back home.

Some of the videos haven't ben added to the playlist yet or haven't been uploaded. At the time I'm posting this, GF's isn't uploaded because the set is over 30 minutes. (Yeah, last time we're ever doing 3 stocks...)

Hope you all enjoy watching my Toon Link, if you have any questions about the things I was doing feel free to ask.
And yes, I do know the spike on one of my games could have literally cost me a match but I had to style on that person, he was an arrogant guy who said he could beat me so I had to disrespectfully kill em ;D
I have a question. In your second match with Ness at about 7:22, how were you able to just drop the bomb before recatching it with a Nair? I'm not quite sure how to do that without Zairing. Thanks for showing us this footage by the way.

Last edited:

LinkLuigi

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkLuigi
Awesome footage Yacka! We all look up to being a great TL main as you are now!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I got my butt handed to me in ALL of the 1v1 for glory matches I played in using Toon Link...
I got so frustrated that I just quit after this guy kept 2 stocking me like it was nothing, which probably was...

I want to be able to play similar to these guys:

watch?v=4kH1_AQusnk&lis
&
watch?v=r_fCDeuYAsY

(Can't post links yet, but please take a second to view the youtube videos above)

I don't really pay attention to their attacks or projectiles, I pay attention to their movements.
When I say movements I mean the way they are able to dash, short hop into zair, fast fall, then pull out a bomb, etc...
Everything done so smooth and such, I can barely hit zairs and I honestly do not know where to start so I can learn to move the way competitive players do.
The guy that kept 2 stocking me even spiked me with Mario, you could only imagine the frustration lol..
I've been researching but I can only find advanced techniques, no guide on movement.

It's not even character specific, but since I play Toon Link a lot I figured posting in this section of the forums was optimal.
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I am very tired and I just had to post my frustration before bed.

RiRinKal

Smash Rookie
NNID
RiRinKal

I see you also use a lot of Nairs and Bairs and how you pull out the move looks pretty fast and hits very accurate.
I am still working on the Nairing, but I still can't find myself using it very often.
I always end up doing forward air by accidents, and I am still not too sure when do I get to use Nairing other than bomb or boomerang follow ups. and just like what scamper said.. how did you do that??
and dang very nice play man,,, XD by the way
Especially taking out of Yoshi like that..

Last edited:

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
I decided to record a gameplay of me using Toon Link. Take note that I am beginner looking to improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSlsyQZAYY&feature=youtu.be

Could I get feedback on;
What I was doing wrong
What I was not doing
Anything else

I noticed some mistakes that I made, using the wrong attacks, barely z-air'ing, over use of attacks when not needed, etc.
But how can I improve this?
I sometimes find it hard to do multiple things such as dash, short hop, attack, fast fall, grab, etc..
I want to improve my movement, which I feel is my biggest downfall.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I decided to record a gameplay of me using Toon Link. Take note that I am beginner looking to improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSlsyQZAYY&feature=youtu.be

Could I get feedback on;
What I was doing wrong
What I was not doing
Anything else

I noticed some mistakes that I made, using the wrong attacks, barely z-air'ing, over use of attacks when not needed, etc.
But how can I improve this?
I sometimes find it hard to do multiple things such as dash, short hop, attack, fast fall, grab, etc..
I want to improve my movement, which I feel is my biggest downfall.
You did a pretty good job protecting yourself from getting edge guarded while on the ledge, and generally made good use of TL's grabs. Your follow-ups to hitting the opponent with projectiles were good, and did a very good job making it the nightmare it should be for the opponent to get back to the ground from being above the stage. Uthrow > uair/throw at bomb in the air is good.

Bomb pulls should usually be done from the air, since they're easy to punish when they're used on the ground. You should jump more when using the bombs and boomerang, too. Also, you shouldn't roll. Rolls in general are easy to punish most of the time, and you did get your rolls punished quite a few times in that match, plus TL's rolls are extremely bad compared to most of the other characters. Camping too much against Falco is also a bad idea, since not only does he have a reflector for throwing your projectiles right back at you, but he still has a very good projectile of his own. You should pummel when you grab people, which is especially important as TL since he has one of the better pummels in the game. Also, while I didn't see much of a problem with you getting gimped in the video, mixing up your recovery with the tether + spin attack is always a good idea to make yourself harder to gimp. There were also a few times where the opponent know you were going to run and throw a bomb at them, so they sat there in their shield, which you could've punished by running up to them, grabbing, and immediately dthrowing or fthrowing (immediately because you have some invincibility during those throws, so wait too long will get you hit by the bomb).

I think your zair usage at the end would've been a lot more helpful for you if you knew the timing for inputting the zair. I suggest practicing landing zair on Greninja in training mode. Once you have that down you should move on to JCBT (jump canceled bomb throws; also I apologize if you know this already, but I didn't see you use them in the video). Basically, you can do JCBT by, when running with a bomb, pressing X then immediately pressing A to throw the bomb (it helps to quickly "roll" your thumb from X to A). If you did it right you should do a grounded bomb throw and have significantly reduced ending lag on that bomb throw, which you can test by immediately dashing into the bomb.

So yeah, hope this helps.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
You did a pretty good job protecting yourself from getting edge guarded while on the ledge, and generally made good use of TL's grabs. Your follow-ups to hitting the opponent with projectiles were good, and did a very good job making it the nightmare it should be for the opponent to get back to the ground from being above the stage. Uthrow > uair/throw at bomb in the air is good.

Bomb pulls should usually be done from the air, since they're easy to punish when they're used on the ground. You should jump more when using the bombs and boomerang, too. Also, you shouldn't roll. Rolls in general are easy to punish most of the time, and you did get your rolls punished quite a few times in that match, plus TL's rolls are extremely bad compared to most of the other characters. Camping too much against Falco is also a bad idea, since not only does he have a reflector for throwing your projectiles right back at you, but he still has a very good projectile of his own. You should pummel when you grab people, which is especially important as TL since he has one of the better pummels in the game. Also, while I didn't see much of a problem with you getting gimped in the video, mixing up your recovery with the tether + spin attack is always a good idea to make yourself harder to gimp. There were also a few times where the opponent know you were going to run and throw a bomb at them, so they sat there in their shield, which you could've punished by running up to them, grabbing, and immediately dthrowing or fthrowing (immediately because you have some invincibility during those throws, so wait too long will get you hit by the bomb).

I think your zair usage at the end would've been a lot more helpful for you if you knew the timing for inputting the zair. I suggest practicing landing zair on Greninja in training mode. Once you have that down you should move on to JCBT (jump canceled bomb throws; also I apologize if you know this already, but I didn't see you use them in the video). Basically, you can do JCBT by, when running with a bomb, pressing X then immediately pressing A to throw the bomb (it helps to quickly "roll" your thumb from X to A). If you did it right you should do a grounded bomb throw and have significantly reduced ending lag on that bomb throw, which you can test by immediately dashing into the bomb.

So yeah, hope this helps.
Very helpful! Thank you!
I have tried the JCBT, but I can't seem to perform it correctly...
Whenever I throw the bomb there is still ending lag (I put my thumb on X and A, pressing X first then A instantly after pressing X). I also use the Wii U Pro controller since I don't have an adapter.

-What do you suggest me to do in replacement for rolling?
-What do you mean when you say gimped?
-How can I practice punishing when my enemy shields after I throw a bomb? I react way too slow to do so...
-What do I put the settings for Greninja in training mode?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Very helpful! Thank you!
I have tried the JCBT, but I can't seem to perform it correctly...
Whenever I throw the bomb there is still ending lag (I put my thumb on X and A, pressing X first then A instantly after pressing X). I also use the Wii U Pro controller since I don't have an adapter.
Are you sure? That's really odd. All I can think of is that you could be pressing X and A at the same time or something. But yeah, keep in mind, JCBT's ending lag animation is a little misleading since you can act out of it even when he still seems to be recovering from the throw. This threw me off a ton when I was learning how to JCBT, so I don't know if you could be running into the same issue.

-What do you suggest me to do in replacement for rolling?
You could simply run away, which would help you get away much faster than rolling, so is safer. It's generally better to cover your escape, though. Some ways you can do this are:
- Tossing a boomerang before/while you're running away
- JCBT backwards towards the opponent while running away
- Sh (short hop) zairs
- Running away then doing an arrow backwards and towards the opponent. This takes a lot of practice, since you should turn around immediately before the arrow animation starts. But yeah, this can be done by pressing B then immediately lightly tilting the control stick in the opposite direction.
Etc.

-What do you mean when you say gimped?
It's when you get hit when you're trying to recovery back to the stage. For example, hitting the person trying to recover with a projectile or going off-stage to hit them with an aerial or another move.

-How can I practice punishing when my enemy shields after I throw a bomb? I react way too slow to do so...
If the opponent shields the first time you run at them and JCBT then they'll probably do it again, so just make sure you're ready in advance to grab them out of their shield when you JCBT at them.

-What do I put the settings for Greninja in training mode?
Making the CPU be Greninja, you mean? Just move the CPU's character button thing over to Greninja's character icon, same as when you pick your character.

Top Bottom