• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Picto Box - Toon Link Video & Critique Thread

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
No. You cant be. You cant use the same tactics as me. You can't be as aggressive as me. You CAN'T BE ME!

Seriously loved the montage though very nice. it's rewarding to see a Tink that actually knows this kid has more that just a Big Bomb Bag and Extra Large Quiver for the extra hard spam. Sadly i'm not a pro Tink so i cannot give too much critique since you seem better than me but yeah and stuff.

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Cool vid. Nicely played! Not that easy to give critique on a combo vid. You seem to know most of the basic follow ups etc. Very straight forward aggressive, which is very predictable against better players, but in this case your opponents kind of look like sandbags so it works pretty well. Like wtf is that marth doing xD..

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Cool vid. Nicely played! Not that easy to give critique on a combo vid. You seem to know most of the basic follow ups etc. Very straight forward aggressive, which is very predictable against better players, but in this case your opponents kind of look like sandbags so it works pretty well. Like wtf is that marth doing xD..
tfw that marth was actually me lol

I can't remember if there was a specific reason but I was playing so bad that day, trust me, I'm usually better

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
tfw that marth was actually me lol

I can't remember if there was a specific reason but I was playing so bad that day, trust me, I'm usually better
Hahaha, Sorry did not mean it in a bad way xD... but hey at least youre not a marth main.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Hahaha, Sorry did not mean it in a bad way xD... but hey at least youre not a marth main.
but he is my secondary... RIP. oh well, I played **** there and I've acknowledged that. Anyway, assuming you were talking about the marth at the end honestly there wasn't too much I could've done, he stole my jump and attacking him there wouldn't do much

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
but he is my secondary... RIP. oh well, I played **** there and I've acknowledged that. Anyway, assuming you were talking about the marth at the end honestly there wasn't too much I could've done, he stole my jump and attacking him there wouldn't do much
but you randomly threw out shield breaks and dancing blades while on stage and held shield at bad times

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
>:T
Hey.
Marth is kinda fun. Even if he's not as fun as in other games. Don't diss him. <3
Whether I'm a Toon or a Marth main, I actually don't really know... I've been working on getting my Marth better for the past few months so he's almost all I've been using, but I considered myself a Toon main. All I've been pulling Toon out for is for some matchups I have trouble in with Marth like Dedede and ROB, a pretty bad habit of mine. I should be learning these matchups rather than switching characters. .___.
Although, forcing bad Dededes to never use their gordos using Toon's projectiles is pretty refreshing after struggling with Marth.
Can't say that I've faced any ROB in the past few months though, I really want to see how I do against one now.

EDIT:
Crap, this isn't the social thread. Sorry.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Bomb to Double hit Nair to Bair would have been better still, but that's still really neat. Definitely news to me. I take it that the opponent has to be on a decent percent in order to combo into the second hit of Nair right? Because if you got the double hit Nair it would work starting from a lower percent, so that's all the more reason to look into it.

D

Deleted member

Bomb to Double hit Nair to Bair would have been better still, but that's still really neat. Definitely news to me. I take it that the opponent has to be on a decent percent in order to combo into the second hit of Nair right? Because if you got the double hit Nair it would work starting from a lower percent, so that's all the more reason to look into it.
Im dubbing it the 69 combo because it starts working at 69-81 without rage (non training mode tested too) on sheik at least
double hit nair wouldnt work because bomb doesnt send them up (when sheik) at the right percent and thats even more situational, this is the least situational with the best result

Last edited by a moderator:

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Hey guys,

There's two For Glory matches that I recorded yesterday. Could you please give some tips about my Toon Link?

https://youtu.be/ot_5cz1fBrI

https://youtu.be/Ade6ZRvpG-0

Thanks!
First off, you should probably learn jump cancelling. Jump cancel bomb throws, jump cancel upsmashes, jump cancel grabs, etc. Second, bombs are your most important tool. Whenever I have any free time at all, I pull bombs. They are a major damage output and kill setup. You seemed to have a pretty defensive playstyle, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you shouldn't be afraid of going in when you need to. I know movement is hard to get the hang of at first, but I saw a lot of standing still after attacking or throwing projectiles. If you can eliminate that completely, you'll notice your play gets significantly better. I didn't see too many short hops, getting the timing down so you can short hop at least 95% of the time will help you a lot. Oh, and the dair. Don't use that move. It gets punished very easily, sometimes even if it does hit. Lastly, I don't remember seeing any tether recoveries, but remember that you can grab the ledge with zair, even while airdodging.

Learning some of the things listed on the second post here couldn't hurt. Especially jump cancelling.

Edit: Try watching some high level toon link play and watch to see what they do right and wrong. This helps a ton for if you are trying to learn a character, and is still helpful even if you are a high level player yourself.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
First off, you should probably learn jump cancelling. Jump cancel bomb throws, jump cancel upsmashes, jump cancel grabs, etc.
Wait, can you jc grab in smash 4? I thought that was only in melee. I know that you can dash attack cancel grab in sm4sh, or, DACG (it has to be in all caps so you imagine someone shouting: DA-CUG!). If jc grab really is in sm4sh then does it go further than DACG?

DanMuller

Smash Rookie
NNID
DanMuller
3DS FC
2251-7567-6274
First off, you should probably learn jump cancelling. Jump cancel bomb throws, jump cancel upsmashes, jump cancel grabs, etc. Second, bombs are your most important tool. Whenever I have any free time at all, I pull bombs. They are a major damage output and kill setup. You seemed to have a pretty defensive playstyle, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you shouldn't be afraid of going in when you need to. I know movement is hard to get the hang of at first, but I saw a lot of standing still after attacking or throwing projectiles. If you can eliminate that completely, you'll notice your play gets significantly better. I didn't see too many short hops, getting the timing down so you can short hop at least 95% of the time will help you a lot. Oh, and the dair. Don't use that move. It gets punished very easily, sometimes even if it does hit. Lastly, I don't remember seeing any tether recoveries, but remember that you can grab the ledge with zair, even while airdodging.

Learning some of the things listed on the second post here couldn't hurt. Especially jump cancelling.

Edit: Try watching some high level toon link play and watch to see what they do right and wrong. This helps a ton for if you are trying to learn a character, and is still helpful even if you are a high level player yourself.
Halfy Halfy

Thanks for the tips.
After reading your post, I went to the training mode and started praticing jump cancelling.
I'll start with it and later move to other ATs that are in the post you suggested.

I rewatch my matches with your tips in mind and understand your points, especially about the short hops and standing still after some attack. I watched some matches of high level Toon Link and see how they move through the scenario and what they do when they short hop.
I felt that my Toon Link was slow and you pinpoint why this was happening.

Your tips helped me a lot.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Halfy Halfy

Thanks for the tips.
After reading your post, I went to the training mode and started praticing jump cancelling.
I'll start with it and later move to other ATs that are in the post you suggested.

I rewatch my matches with your tips in mind and understand your points, especially about the short hops and standing still after some attack. I watched some matches of high level Toon Link and see how they move through the scenario and what they do when they short hop.
I felt that my Toon Link was slow and you pinpoint why this was happening.

Your tips helped me a lot.
just in case you didn't already know, jump cancel bomb tossing on it's own isn't all that useful. The reason you should be using this is for the follow up that it can give you. JCBT can lead into many moves and is your best kill option when at around 80%. At low %s it can lead into things like; up tilt, to start a string of them, SH nair, to get another potential follow up (make sure not to fast fall though, if you do then you get landing lag) and I think grounded up b might work. At kill %s you usually want to go for a fair or sometimes up air. Eventually you'll start getting really creative with your follow ups and notice that a sweetspot boomerang (sweetspot for rang is up close) has around the same knockback and hitstun as your bombs, then you start doing crazy things like jcbt - sh rang - fair/up b, and then you start getting footstools involved...

tl;dr: tink has a **** ton of follow ups off of bombs and rang, just lab to see what ones are the most effective for damage and kill potential.

DanMuller

Smash Rookie
NNID
DanMuller
3DS FC
2251-7567-6274
just in case you didn't already know, jump cancel bomb tossing on it's own isn't all that useful. The reason you should be using this is for the follow up that it can give you. JCBT can lead into many moves and is your best kill option when at around 80%. At low %s it can lead into things like; up tilt, to start a string of them, SH nair, to get another potential follow up (make sure not to fast fall though, if you do then you get landing lag) and I think grounded up b might work. At kill %s you usually want to go for a fair or sometimes up air. Eventually you'll start getting really creative with your follow ups and notice that a sweetspot boomerang (sweetspot for rang is up close) has around the same knockback and hitstun as your bombs, then you start doing crazy things like jcbt - sh rang - fair/up b, and then you start getting footstools involved...

tl;dr: tink has a **** ton of follow ups off of bombs and rang, just lab to see what ones are the most effective for damage and kill potential.
I was messing around with JCBT in my spare time and noticed that. The first thing that I did as a follow up for JCBT is dashing and grabing the bomb with a dash attack. It seems to be useful as a Bomb Fake Out. I'll keep praticing this techniques at the lab and try to incorporate those things in my gameplay. Thanks for the tips

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I recently attended my first tournament and I made a pretty big impact with my Toon Link (and others). I have some footage from one of my best games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RG3-tg4J8s

And the game I got knocked out on (Games 1 and 4 [11:21] are Toon Link): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54JHyYm8n0

I was hoping to get some advice to play even better, since I ended up top 3, but I know I can do better. Tournament nerves and whatnot. Anyway, any advice is appreciated!

PS, I'm new to the boards but I'm hoping to be a big Toon Link participant very soon! Fox is Only Deceptive recommended I tag @Zan- @MJG HyLeN HyLeN and @Artemis for advice. Hope you don't mind...

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hello guys,

Very new to :4tlink: but I'm a seasoned player. Last night was my first attempt using him in tournament and I got a stream match recorded. I got 5th out of 68 at this event using TL/MK. I would appreciate someone established telling me what I do right/what I need to work on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mGe9LBgRVg

Thank you very much for any input in advance.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
I've always been a Toon Link guy, since Brawl too. He's very significant to me, so I never gave him up XD. I just worked at him hard since Day 1 for Smash 4.

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Hey guys. I recently attended my first tournament and I made a pretty big impact with my Toon Link (and others). I have some footage from one of my best games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RG3-tg4J8s

And the game I got knocked out on (Games 1 and 4 [11:21] are Toon Link): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54JHyYm8n0

I was hoping to get some advice to play even better, since I ended up top 3, but I know I can do better. Tournament nerves and whatnot. Anyway, any advice is appreciated!

PS, I'm new to the boards but I'm hoping to be a big Toon Link participant very soon! Fox is Only Deceptive recommended I tag @Zan- @MJG HyLeN HyLeN and @Artemis for advice. Hope you don't mind...
I'm insulted that I wasn't mentioned. C'mon fox.
I need to go to a tournament soon

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Here's a kinda laggy FG match from earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2W7OyfMmFE

I'm not sure whether he just gave up or was legitimately bad during the second stock but whatever, I'll take the 0 to death.
I'm pretty tired right now so ill keep this quick.
1) you roll too much
2) don't use the dair
3) you fsmash too much
4) learn all the JC stuff
5) play more air based
6) needs more bombs
7) try to be more in-and-out with your movement. like try to combo a quick bomb>rang>nair and go back to camping and moving around.

hope this helps.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty tired right now so ill keep this quick.
1) you roll too much
2) don't use the dair
3) you fsmash too much
4) learn all the JC stuff
5) play more air based
6) needs more bombs
7) try to be more in-and-out with your movement. like try to combo a quick bomb>rang>nair and go back to camping and moving around.

hope this helps.
Thanks, I'm currently trying to practice and perfect jump cancel bomb tossing after seeing the difference it made in training mode. I'm starting to focus on 5 and 6 which also takes out 1. Dair is kind of a muscle memory panic button from Brawl but I'm working on it, it's really punishable and I'm prone to accidental dair suicide. I'm guessing the problem with fsmash is its lag? I've often found that people can shield between the two hits and punish with a jab or something. I'll start working on 7 once I've mastered 4-6. Just for clarification, what do you mean by rang? Does it mean range, or something different?

Also, as of writing this post, rip my nn key. It shall be issed.

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Thanks, I'm currently trying to practice and perfect jump cancel bomb tossing after seeing the difference it made in training mode. I'm starting to focus on 5 and 6 which also takes out 1. Dair is kind of a muscle memory panic button from Brawl but I'm working on it, it's really punishable and I'm prone to accidental dair suicide. I'm guessing the problem with fsmash is its lag? I've often found that people can shield between the two hits and punish with a jab or something. I'll start working on 7 once I've mastered 4-6. Just for clarification, what do you mean by rang? Does it mean range, or something different?

Also, as of writing this post, rip my nn key. It shall be issed.
Rang is short for boomerang. Yeah, the problem with fsmash is that if you don't hit, you're pretty much screwed. Honestly if you just play around with some bomb techs in training mode for a while like JC stuff and BFO stuff and C4 stuff, you'll notice that you use bombs a lot more in your regular gameplay.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Sorry, if only I knew better, I would have asked D:
But you do give good advice. Do you have any for me by chance?
Nah, he honestly isn't all that good, that's right, I'm calling you out, Halfy Halfy ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
On a serious note, though, the main 2 things I saw were; you double jumping on stage in positions I felt it wasn't necessary, this can be punished and you may get sent off stage with no jump, that is one of the worst positions you can be in, and the second point, not getting the rang back and letting it fly past you, leaving it unusable for a couple more centuries, and when you did collect it you usually didn't cancel the lag (you can do this by doing an attack, action, such as pulling out a bomb and even just staying in shield).

I think I saw a few missed JCBTs in there too, not sure if it was intentional or not but if it was a tech error then you should definitely practice it, my preferred method of JCBTing is using around the tip of my thumb on the Y button (my preferred jump button, for X use the middle of your thumb, then slide it over to the A button) and then immediately press the A button with the middle of your thumb.

Other than that, great tink, definitely better than mine (or at least it looks to be).

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
Hey guys i would really like some advice to help my gameplay. I would've uploaded more but i have to record the rest from my phone and it will look horrible but i'm gonna do it later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGxZefBQJ3Y this is just some for glory nothing major and i won this one just barely.

I want to upload my losses but they are all over the youtube upload time limit but once i get a few more vids up i would love to get a little critique from you guys! Thanks in advance.
Also i fooled around a lot in this match sorry about that. :4tlink:

Top Bottom