• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Picto Box - Toon Link Video & Critique Thread

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Hello just joined this reading some of the post and i want you guys to give me tips on a match that me and my cousin had it's Toon Link vs. Lucina. Any advice or tips would be great and thank you!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEYLcpWNc0g
Your movement needs work. Also... MOAR BOMBS

Okay, ill be serious. Try to play air based, but don't stay too high off the ground. Usually you want to be between the ground and full hop distance off the ground. Learn the JCBT, it gives you plenty of reliable kill options and combos. But honestly, I've said this before and I cant stress this enough, just play the game. Movement is the type of thing that is always being worked on whenever you are playing with any character, and so are fundamentals. You will improve if you play the game a lot. There's no secret to it. Play whenever you can, and soon you will notice how much you have improved in a short time.

You relied a bit much on your tilts, so maybe work on using more of your moveset, especially nair and zair. Also, learn when to play defensively up close, when to camp, and when to go aggressive.

mdoepker

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdoepker
Here's some basic, stuff before I go to bed, I'll probably do a more detailed analysis when I wake up if no one else does.

- It's generally a bad idea to use dair, as it's very easy to avoid and punish.

- Not sure whether you don't know how or you just aren't using it, but Jump Cancel Bomb Tossing (more often known as just JCBT) is crucial for Toon Link. It allows him to get some guaranteed setups in to stuff like up-smash, and you should definitely learn how to use it.

- I'm noticing you go for a lot of risky grabs, I'd recommend only attempting to go for grabs unless you're at least like 60% sure that they'll hit. Since Tink has a tether grab, missing a grab is pretty punishable.

Overall though pretty solid play (especially that last stock), based on what I'm seeing of your playstyle it should work well in the long run (providing you work on your dairs and grabs). Sure, some random people on FG might hate you for your defensive/keep-away playstyle but who cares about them?
I mean that's good to hear, but I know that I definitely have a long way to go! I do know how to JCBT, but it's not "ingrained" into me from any past characters, so I only think of it occasionally when I'm fighting and you'll notice I do it very randomly. However, in regards to that, would you say that there is a specific direction that is beneficial to throw in (up or back)?

I did mention this previously too, but maybe 50% of the dairs were accidental and just because I wasn't aware that I hadn't pulled a bomb :/ Obviously still something to work on, but a different issue. The other 50% were just me being dumb.

First off, and for future reference, there's a feature built into sm4sh that lets you upload your replays straight to youtube. Just select the replay and choose "upload to youtube and miiverse" or whatever it was.

Now as for your gameplay: you seem to just run away a lot. Just hitting them once and then running away like a little *****... or like a sonic main. You definitely shouldn't do this, you should do the exact opposite, in fact. Say you hit your opponent with a bomb. Don't run to the other side of the stage, **** 'EM UP!!! The main thing that makes tink playable is his amazing follow ups. Off bomb/sweetspot rang you can get so many different, strong and
fabulous attacks; fair, bair, nair, uair, dair, u smash, zair, up b. Hell, off a bomb you can get a sweetspot rang into another followup! Learning all your potential follow ups is probably the first step you should take imo, while doing these you'll get a good feel for what tink can and can't do. I mean, it worked for me! Now look at me!
On second thought, disregard everything I just said.
OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS THANK YOU! I will definitely be checking that out because it was SUPER annoying to actually record the video in that and I was like "This quality is disgusting."

I have been told by people that "I know Tink is a projectile based character but........" and other things regarding how defensive I play and I really have been trying to work on that. It's more so the mentality that I need to go in, but I'm more just not used to his follow-ups yet. Is there a good resource for where to learn those sorts of things? I've watched some of Yackabean's videos on YouTube, but it was before deciding to main Tink and actually put effort into him, more just out of interest.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Hey everybody! I've been a lurker here for quite a bit and recently started to post as I'm finding a bit more time to be working on my Sm4sh! I absolutely adore Toon Link but I'm really new to the game, and this character isn't really one that I'm familiar with how to play, so I'm hoping to get some feedback on how I play.

Here is a link to my Tink (I'm the green Toon Link) ;)

I apologize about the potato quality, couldn't think of a better way to record it, and I did upload a match that I won mostly because it was a longer match and I feel like there was a definite difference between how I played in the first half and second and can't really tell what I did better/worse.

Thanks for any feedback!
I like what the other 2 have said so I'll keep my words short. One thing on top of what they've suggested I'd recommend is basically, be faster. Move around the stage faster, attack faster, react faster, etc. When you hit your opponent with a boomerang or bomb as you did multiple times in close range, react quickly to go for a followup. You have some good solid basics, I think just work on what they've suggested and work on being fast as well. As a side note, the Purple Toon Link was moving around pretty quickly himself, and I liked the speed I saw from him. TCheck out how he chooses to move around if you want, what I thought was, a good example.

(Also don't completely ignore what Lotad said, I like his words, and he's not bad either!)

In terms of how to learn new things, in the Brawl days, I lurked as a guest on the boards looking at things like the Toon Link AT thread. You can learn about some important and useful techniques from that thread, and there's also notes about combo's somewhere but I can't find it. Take a longer look perhaps!

https://youtu.be/ahKEmTPeOqM

^ Match vs J Ribs, apart from the accidental D-air and my occasional rolls any tips?
I'm not the most familiar with the matchup, which is why I think I might be wrong in saying this, but I feel Ness had too many oppourtunities to get in. I think in this case, part of it was due to the stage and not having enough room to move around. But to help mitigate that in this case, playing more "Wait to punish" game might have worked. Ness has very low ending lag but to wait for his approaches to fail, then projectile punishing with bomb in hand may have helped. Though I need to fight more Ness's to give better advice.

I'll let the others judge your playing, but I don't think you're that bad (I'm very tired I have poor judgement right now XD). This was matchup specific, like trying to judge Toon Link ditto's and expecting that advise to work vs Captain Cancer. But you know :p

Hello just joined this reading some of the post and i want you guys to give me tips on a match that me and my cousin had it's Toon Link vs. Lucina. Any advice or tips would be great and thank you!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zEYLcpWNc0g
Honestly, in short, I think the camping needs work. I don't feel like projectiles were used as effectively as possible in some scenario's. You did some great spacing stuff in general but I think you just need to refine more. That's all. Sorry I'm tired XD. The others have better things to say I bet.

Btw I liked the combo at 2:17, that's one of my favourites XD

SmashvilleProds

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShadwSceptile
Yea Moobussir Moobussir J Ribs is ranked fourth in New York so I think I did pretty good, but I probably could have beat him if I didn't accidentally dair at one point and take 40% :[

Thanks for the advice :]

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
About time I actually posted one of my replays here.
As you can see, I sure do love sh bomb drops :)
Other than my unsafe grabs/landings can any of you see some bad habits of mine?
If that replay alone isn't enough to work with for spotting habits then I have a whole playlist of tink replays. You could just watch a few from around the bottom (that's where the newest ones are, so they won't have habits I've already worked on.)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwrcVmuJtyP7RrnDQ8_LSNqrFQxMp4kIb

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
About time I actually posted one of my replays here.
As you can see, I sure do love sh bomb drops :)
Other than my unsafe grabs/landings can any of you see some bad habits of mine?
If that replay alone isn't enough to work with for spotting habits then I have a whole playlist of tink replays. You could just watch a few from around the bottom (that's where the newest ones are, so they won't have habits I've already worked on.)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwrcVmuJtyP7RrnDQ8_LSNqrFQxMp4kIb
You can't go around thinking that was a real match lol

G Gary Green

Smash Cadet
NNID
gbartelloni
3DS FC
1349-7499-6127
I wanted to wish all of you a (very late) Happy Holidays and A Happy New Year! I have replays from different 2 sets of BO3 on Smash Latter. As I was uploading the first match of the first set, I realized that at points I was doing smash attacks a lot more then I would have liked to. To be totally honest, I completely forgot about what happened during 2nd set. :p Other than that, please do what you guys do best.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5N3885DjJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uj8q9qOlR8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyqGGtOlZC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrecJnG9lY

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to wish all of you a (very late) Happy Holidays and A Happy New Year! I have replays from different 2 sets of BO3 on Smash Latter. As I was uploading the first match of the first set, I realized that at points I was doing smash attacks a lot more then I would have liked to. To be totally honest, I completely forgot about what happened during 2nd set. :p Other than that, please do what you guys do best.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5N3885DjJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uj8q9qOlR8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyqGGtOlZC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrecJnG9lY
Sorry that it took so long to get back to you, but I'm taking a look at your replays right now.

One this that I noticed in your replays is that you go for a lot of hard reads or assumptions in neutral, which end up being unsafe options. For ex, D-smash's especially are unsafe in neutral, the ending lag is too much so it's a very situational move in most cases. Hard read Up-Smash's are not bad to go for but there were better punish's/options in most scenario's (Mostly taking from the first video, but you tend to do it a lot, which is why I want to warn you on that habit, though it seems safe).

From the second video, I want to commend your ability's there. It's clear you had matchup knowledge from Yoshi's grab release -> Jab tricks, so good on you for that XD. At one point, the boomernag was coming back and Yoshi was put in an awkwardposition to avoid it, but was hit by it. This was an ample time to take advantage of him, and from that I'd say practice on projectile awareness, since returning boomerang is an excellent pressure tool. But you still have good projectile technique, like b-reverse arrow's; you made good use of that in the first game.

You use a lot of D-throw's, and that usually gives Toon Link a more favourable position, even if you don't get a follow-up. But don't forget that Up-throw -> Up-air is a combo at certain percents, so try practicing that.
(Also, I've been working on combo's with D-throw that happen with bomb's, for ex, JC throw bomb or just have a bomb in the air, grab, D-throw, have the opponent fly into the bomb, then Up-air or another follow-up. It's something I think has a lot of potential and I want to try and spread it, so from me personally to you, give it a shot XD)

Very good matches vs Shulk. I feel there isn't much to add, though towards the end of the 4th match, your punish game seemed lacking. The thrown bomb up near the end created a lot of pressure for him to be stuck in shield, so a grab or aerial would have been hard for him to handle, and the running Up-smash from the ledge after his whiffed F-smash could have been faster. But otherwise I think you have great skill. Just more practice and refining I'd say.

Edit: It's nice to know someone else remembers about air-dodge tether's with bombs XD

Last edited:

Dɛαd

ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿
NNID
Dead_MK
3DS FC
3539-9682-8374

I hope it will help some people to make more mix-ups and use more T-Link Hero's Bow

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz

I hope it will help some people to make more mix-ups and use more T-Link Hero's Bow
Maybe it was on there and I just wasn't paying attention at the time, but I like to retreat and sh b reverse arrow sometimes. It helps to create distance but not too much, of course, turn around b can work better in some situations.
I also like approaching and doing sh wavebounce arrow, like how lucas mains do a lot with pk fire.

Dɛαd

ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿
NNID
Dead_MK
3DS FC
3539-9682-8374
No edge cancelled arrows?
...Yeah I forgot about that part.
Maybe it was on there and I just wasn't paying attention at the time, but I like to retreat and sh b reverse arrow sometimes. It helps to create distance but not too much, of course, turn around b can work better in some situations.
I also like approaching and doing sh wavebounce arrow, like how lucas mains do a lot with pk fire.
It was there if I'm not mistaken.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
It was there if I'm not mistaken.
Oh, well... uh... sorry lol
Maybe it was on there and I just wasn't paying attention
I guess I wasn't paying enough attention at that time; I'll probably check through it again later to see if there was anything else I missed. It seemed that I do most of that stuff anyway, but maybe there's some other stuff.

GBAer64

Smash Rookie

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
H-hello! I've been using T.Link for a few months now and the club at my school posted videos of the matches I had. I'm pretty fidgety when in tournaments but I'd like to see if there's anymore I can do for my Toon Link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzM4UlCQFD4&index=7&list=PL1bIRlJm0YJqRtv1N5afo99dfxXFp2w0Z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QuX1fmOMyU&list=PL1bIRlJm0YJqRtv1N5afo99dfxXFp2w0Z&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbN9hTucBQ&index=5&list=PL1bIRlJm0YJqRtv1N5afo99dfxXFp2w0Z
Well you're definitely good, probably better than me, but I can see a few bad habits you have which honestly surprised me, they seem to be some of the simpler ones really.
First of all: all though you understand that dair can still be a very strong tool if you know it'll hit, it seems you were way too risky with them sometimes. And I still wouldn't use it too often, use it as a mixup. I like to abuse the hight you gain just before the hitbox comes out. I usually use it to punish up smashes if they're trying to anti-air me and up airs (usually after they throw).

Secondly: when your bombs hit, often you wouldn't take the follow up... but just pull out another bomb... So maybe I'm just being a huge scrub, but I'd think it's much better to just take the free follow up, eg. nair (which can potentially lead into arrow lock lol). Why were you taking out the 2nd bomb, though? Was it to try and get that to extend the string?

Last edited:

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
H-hello! I've been using T.Link for a few months now and the club at my school posted videos of the matches I had. I'm pretty fidgety when in tournaments but I'd like to see if there's anymore I can do for my Toon Link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzM4UlCQFD4&index=7&list=PL1bIRlJm0YJqRtv1N5afo99dfxXFp2w0Z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QuX1fmOMyU&list=PL1bIRlJm0YJqRtv1N5afo99dfxXFp2w0Z&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbN9hTucBQ&index=5&list=PL1bIRlJm0YJqRtv1N5afo99dfxXFp2w0Z
You're really good. Lemme just start with that. You have great coverage, make use of attack very well, and amazing tricks (I love your combo at 0:37 in the first match, I'm going to learn that! Also your Dair at the end of the 2nd match, and 0:45's z-dropped ledge grab is the first time I've seen that mechanic used well. Mention it in the Metagame thread, that has so much potential!)

That said, some things you can improve on would be projectile followups. There are times you landed a bomb or explosion, but instead of following up, you pulled another bomb. It happened enough that it's something I have to call out. In fact, sometimes, I see the potential for good bomb usage, for example when two bombs are out, you choose to have them do nothing instead of making use of both against your opponent, like at 1:54 of the 3rd match. Pick a bomb with Z and throw it again perhaps?

Also, you use a lot of Dair's. A bunch of your Dairs were actually really well placed, like poking below platforms or as good reads/followups. But maybe 60% of them missed and weren't safe. Don't let that happen too many times, someone will be able to punish them one day.

Now that I'm watching the 3rd match, you missed a lot of Up-tilt oppourtunities. Greninja, being a fast faller, could have taken a lot of Up-tilts finished with Up-Smash or Up-air. Be more confident with them. Toon Link might just have the best Up-tilt in the game, make good use of it!

Anyway, those are some of my tips. You're definitely really good and I commend you for that. There's always room to improve though, so keep at it!

GOSH DARN LOTAD YOU BARELY GOT THIS BEFORE I DID

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
Thanks a whole bunch. Yeah I admit, I like to go the risky way a lot. Especially when I'm nervous, I try to pull of hard reads to look cool and gain some cool in the process. So I just need to keep it cool to avoid all those d.airs.
So I pull more bombs out instead of go for a follow-up... that I didn't pick up until now. I'll try to be more conscious about how I follow-up my projectiles from then on.
Thanks a holy bunch. (*⌒▽⌒*)θ~♪

Edit: Oh! Eheh... I didn't see the question until now. I usually go for the second bomb since I'm not dead-on sure if the opponent gets blown the direction I want to all the time. So I try for another bomb until I have a good feeling I can follow-up easily. As for during low percentages where I pull a second bomb, I did it since I thought Ike would be too heavy to be stuck on hitstun long enough. So I basically used the second bomb for a retry too. Don't take that as a full answer yet though since I can't view the videos on the school wifi rn. Give me a bit and I'll answer the way I wanna!

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
You're really good. Lemme just start with that. You have great coverage, make use of attack very well, GOSH DARN LOTAD YOU BARELY GOT THIS BEFORE I DID
git gud
Edit: Oh! Eheh... I didn't see the question until now. I usually go for the second bomb since I'm not dead-on sure if the opponent gets blown the direction I want to all the time. So I try for another bomb until I have a good feeling I can follow-up easily. As for during low percentages where I pull a second bomb, I did it since I thought Ike would be too heavy to be stuck on hitstun long enough. So I basically used the second bomb for a retry too. Don't take that as a full answer yet though since I can't view the videos on the school wifi rn. Give me a bit and I'll answer the way I wanna!
I would still recommend going going for the fair. It has a good iasa frame which can be abused well, if spaced right, a whiffed fair can still be very hard to punish. And you should still go for a follow up at low %s. You could go for a jab or up tilt if you feel you don't have a lot of time and they're a heavy. If you aren't close enough for that: P E R F E C T P I V O T B O I S

Last edited:

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Thanks a whole bunch. Yeah I admit, I like to go the risky way a lot. Especially when I'm nervous, I try to pull of hard reads to look cool and gain some cool in the process. So I just need to keep it cool to avoid all those d.airs.
So I pull more bombs out instead of go for a follow-up... that I didn't pick up until now. I'll try to be more conscious about how I follow-up my projectiles from then on.
Thanks a holy bunch. (*⌒▽⌒*)θ~♪

First, you are a great player, definitely better than LotadAlittle LotadAlittle lmao
And you already were told about the main 2 things I noticed, your combo game and your dair usage.
You didn't seem to be overly reliant on projectiles, which can be a good or bad thing. Either way, it's worth it to learn all of the tricks you can do with them just in case you ever need to use them. Who knows, it could improve your mixups.

I know these were matches from a tournament, but the best way to learn which way the bomb will hit them is to just always go for the followup no matter what. Nair is useful for this, as it covers your front and back if you are unsure. Trust me, your folloup knowledge will improve greatly just with more experience and experimenting with them, and who knows, someday this knowledge could be useful.

G Gary Green

Smash Cadet
NNID
gbartelloni
3DS FC
1349-7499-6127
Hey guys, I have a couple more matches for ya. These were against my friend. I want to know how I can improve my mixup game with Toon Link so any suggestions are welcome. Also are there better ways to practice? usually, I go into training mode and mess around and then if i have enough time, Ill go on Smash Ladder but i was just wondering if there anything specific i should be doing. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDgqd22IKEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbsf4bHAtnM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HluFjwWSPL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGCN-u1Pi64

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a couple more matches for ya. These were against my friend. I want to know how I can improve my mixup game with Toon Link so any suggestions are welcome. Also are there better ways to practice? usually, I go into training mode and mess around and then if i have enough time, Ill go on Smash Ladder but i was just wondering if there anything specific i should be doing. Thanks!
I will definitely check these out tomorrow, but I bet Lotad or Halfy will get to them before me.

As for better ways to practice, the way I improved VASTLY from where I was before was with this one weird old trick (kappa). If you can find a local tourney in your area, I highly recommend checking it out. The players who play very well, and the players looking to get even better are often found at tourney's, and they're the best kind of people to fight again. Yes, there's an entry fee, and no, you won't always win (Definitely not your first time either), but this is where improvement is taken to the next level.

Other then locals, playing online and on Smash Ladder, checking out our Smashboards thread for new ideas and contributions, getting critique and stuff, not sure what else there might be. Lotad and Halfy might have recommendations though.

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
From what I'm seeing, it seems as though being more aggressive against that particular Lucas worked out way better than keeping it safe. This can be seen in the 4th match overall where you challenged his recovery twice with a f.air as the stock stealer. Using more direct moves to intercept Lucas's recovery overall has better rewards than risk since PK Rocket's multi-hit property is less of a threat than Ness's. So try going deep in to bash an aerial on him rather than use bombs like you've done the other half of the time Lucas recovered.

Overall, I believe it's better to keep Lucas on the ground since his tilts require more commitment than his safer, faster, more combo-oriented aerial attacks. Only thing about Lucas's ground moves is that a Lucas that often uses jab might make that plan not work as well.

On the ground, it seemed that Lucas used shield more. Though grabbing is a real risk in this match-up, I think this particular Lucas was a case where it would be okay to go for the grab since it probably would have offered more for you. Though that's only in these particular matches

I also noticed that for awhile when Lucas was lying down and you threw a boomerang, you usually let it ricochet off the floor into the air... I can assume you already know that doesn't yield many results since the opponent is only given the options of how to get up. So in such a case where the opponent is knocked down, a straight boomerang throw or bow/arrow shot is the maximum coverage you can bring for pressure in their options.

For the second match, you lost a stock or two due to charging a smash attack when he had time to recover from some of your set-ups and punish you. I also believe this is the same match where you pulled off a few excellent combos. There's also the obvious mistakes such as rolling toward your opponent when they come out with a fresh new stock or in those one second stand-offs. You proved to be quite the survivalist though. I won't ask about the way you off'd yourself with that d.air since I'm taking bets that was a mis-input where you pressed A instead of B.

Overall, you Toon Link is great. You might require more knowledge on when to be more aggressive and when to be more defensive which is a common problem for us T.Link players. We seem to believe that Toon Link's ability to lay pressure isn't as strong as his defensive measures when really he's quite versatile. Keep up the good work though.

*Watches 3rd match
' 3'

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Some of Hyuga's sets on Genesis 3 are up on showdowngg. I don't think all of the sets are up yet since top 8 isn't up, but still, enjoy what's currently up and check out showdowngg later for more sets.

Hyuga's Toon Link vs. Nairo's ZSS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYGEJDhZqjQ.

Hyuga's Toon Link vs. 6WX's Sonic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6LCgTu2c5g.

Hyuga's Toon Link vs. FOW's Ness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33u2MDPK7v4.

Edit: Doubles; Hyuga and Dabuz's Rosalina & Luma vs. ESAM's Pikachu and MVD's Diddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTUlRDxjFGk.

Hyuga and Dabuz vs. Marss's ZSS and Pugwest's Marth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDo7l_LcUMk.

Hyuga and Dabuz vs. Ally's Mario and Trela's Ryu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW_-M7RtijY.

Last edited:

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
I started doing offline meetup ups will some local players and as much as I love Toon Link, I don't seem to be able to get those wins, was wondering if there is anything in particular I am doing wrong that I can work on. Here are two full Bo3 Sets from the last time we met up, there was another Bo3 set vs a Sonic player but it didn't get Saved, though that was through my own fault. I do have a WiFi replay of a match VS him which I might edit in to this once I get it recorded.

Bo3 Set vs Mario Player
Bo3 Set vs Yoshi Player

Edit -
Here is that game I said I would add to this

WiFi 1v1 vs Sonic Player

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I started doing offline meetup ups will some local players and as much as I love Toon Link, I don't seem to be able to get those wins, was wondering if there is anything in particular I am doing wrong that I can work on. Here are two full Bo3 Sets from the last time we met up, there was another Bo3 set vs a Sonic player but it didn't get Saved, though that was through my own fault. I do have a WiFi replay of a match VS him which I might edit in to this once I get it recorded.

Bo3 Set vs Mario Player
Bo3 Set vs Yoshi Player
I say this a lot to people, but your movement needs to be much more fluid so you can really just weave in and out of places, like bf's platforms. Most high level players have great movement (Zan, Yackabean, Hyuga, etc.), so just watch sets of them playing and try to emulate the sort of stuff they do then try to add your own style to it later. And stuff like the rolls at 3:31 on the first set, just don't... that's one of your worst movement options. If you're gonna roll, you should only do it once.

In terms of why you were struggling so much to get damage on your opponent, where the hell are your follow-ups? You were pretty much exclusively using projectiles and then just walking away or throwing another projectile! You definitely need to just lab at least some of the BnB follow ups such as bomb/rang - nair/bair/fair. Zair too; it can lead into grabs, smash attacks (d smash usually requires a perfect pivot) and sometimes potential arrow locks, most better players will tech it though.

You definitely threw out way too many unsafe grabs in neutral. If you want a grab at low %s then, as I said, zair can work nicely. Although, you don't get a whole lot off of grab at low %s so you usually don't want to do this anyway. If fishing for a backthrow kill, your safest bet is to condition them or just go for a hard read (only use the second option if completely necessary.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think zair - dash grab works at the %s that b throw is likely to kill.

A few things I strongly recommend you doing to improve would be, of course, use anther's ladder, but more importantly in your case, join our skype chat or discord server, or hell, maybe both. By doing this, you can easily play friendlies with people pretty much whenever you want. Skype will get you friendlies less often from my experience. It is a social chat, after all, so you shouldn't really join it if you don't care for making friends within the community. If you wanna join that, just give me your skype and I'll add you to the group. You could post it here or just pm it to me. Discord is much better if you only care about friendlies, it has different chats for friendlies, general, meta discussion and memes (but if they aren't dank then gtfo), so you can just ignore the ones you don't care about. The people in the tink groups are definitely my favourite in this community, but I can see how not everyone would get along with us. If you're interested in the discord server, again, just pm me and I'll send you the link.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Great combo video!
I love the choice of music, it fits really well.
One of my major issues with sm4sh combo videos is that a lot of them just excessively use unnecessary filters and effects to the point at which it's just cringe-worthy. I much prefer them being focused on the skill at the game, not editing. It's one of the many reasons I much prefer melee combo videos, the main reason being just the insane level of skill and mastery shown in them.

Dɛαd

ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿
NNID
Dead_MK
3DS FC
3539-9682-8374
Maybe this could interest some of you..

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Maybe this could interest some of you..

Darn, you beat me too it...but yes, B-air to B-air hype! Just like Brawl kappa

B-air is a slightly safer tool in neutral now, and missing an autocancel isn't quite as laggy as before. Not sure what else needs to be said above what you've stated in the video. I'm sure we'll find good use out of this as we see more Toon Link play's, so we shouldn't stop experimenting!

Snasen

Smash Cadet
If you frame cancel the bair, you can link it to a fsmash true combo.

Edit: also I get the feeling that on low percentage we can force landing lag, or frame trap, like jab1 to dsmash. It won't show on the combo counter. Anyone researched this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom