• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pichu Social & General Discussion Thread

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Oh yeah I could definitely make an up to date guide, I started working on one awhile back but never finished it.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Oh yeah I could definitely make an up to date guide, I started working on one awhile back but never finished it.
DO IT!!! I got permission from Grim to take over the video post, so with the updated guide it would only take updating the Pichu finder (easy as anything) and start work on actually finishing the matchup thread for Pichu to be in 2014. I'm trying to pop out a matchup a week on the G&W boards, it wouldn't be hard to do the same here. Lead the Pichu community! Become famous! Get tons of hot ladies! All of that can be yours.

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully there will be enough Pichus out there to make the finder thread useful.. I don't think i'll find any near me lol

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hopefully there will be enough Puchus out there to make the finder thread of use.. I don't think i'll find any near me lol
Yeah... It'll probably be tiny, when I didd the F&W one I went from 100 names to like, 10 lol. Still, it's worth keeping us as connected as we can right?

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
I agree 100%, it used to be relatively busy on here. It would help if I had more time on here, been a bit busy lately. Also it would help if I had high speed internet where I live, i'm kind of far from society.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I agree 100%, it used to be relatively busy on here. It would help if I had more time on here, been a bit busy lately. Also it would help if I had high speed internet where I live, i'm kind of far from society.
Yeah I gotta use the library internet most days... And instead of having fun I work on character boards :p

Still, it's worth it if some people get something out of it.

IndianapolisCentralGaming

Banned via Warnings
I disargee 10'000% doubt You've ever beat a sheik main who's played over 2 years and was sober.

Best thing for the pichu boards would be a frame 3 nair picture to display when/where the disjointed proirty is so You can beat out fox's nair(yes it's more than possible) and then percent when nair is cc and dair isn't so it forces a reset on ccing peach players. Also the frame info for a whiffed thunder it's very different then if it hits You.

Or how to recreate pichu's death proof di you can live at 150% from a charged shot being edge guarded but You get stuck on the blastlines same with fox's up-smash at these percents i've seen, 180, 130, 110.

Seriously ask me, don't do a move write up because it's worthless if i only f-tilt once every 20 matchs. People need solid basic/advanced understanding of pichu to be able to play

They need to know why pichu should either tech in place get up attack or try to upair ac before landing. And the fundmentals of chain throwing and how to nair which should be 1/3 the guide. Seriously 80% of the time playing pichu for 5 1/2 years has been trying to nair btter and smarter. Pichu honestly is nair he doesn't have any other useable moves in comparesion. It's like comparing fox to pichu You can"5 without looking stupid.

If You're good at nair sheik's f-tilt will never have enough range and proity to deal with nair

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So, I just took over the boards! :p

Yeah... I like seeing me with the power over your pitiful lives! MWAHAHAHAH!

But seriously, let's get this board going again1

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Yeah I'll get back to working on it after
Shuffle V this weekend.
Excellent. I've already got the matchup thread formatted, and I'll probably sit down to manage the Pichu finder today. It'll be good stuff :)

Edit: So I did that, any of you Pichu folks need to put your info in there, I didn't keep any of the old stuff so if you were there before you gotta give me info again.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Absolutely nothing. Everybody switched mains.
And stro would like to argue about pichu beating the links.

Banned via Warnings
Dude he was trying to tell me link could pull bombs and rangs fast enough to avoid pichu's thunder jolts. Like i've played a few link/ylink mains and everytime they jump back bomb pull that's a running full hop jolt under them.

Super free to wreak that projectile game and edge gaurding links up-b is simple as pichu inv nair off edge.

Link is just pretty easy to approach and never let escape. I just think it's hard to believe pichu doesn't win the neutral game even if links can punish harder.

Also it's very stage based like link should win on ps/dl and pichu on the other stages even on bf

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
no stro is right, your fullhop jolt is slower than links pulls and link can avoid it with dj pulls.
jolts also have no priority and link can jab or nair them.

Banned via Warnings
I'm not saying it's the end all answer to link's projectiles or that it even stops the pull. But link's jump is 7 frames plus 39 frames for a pull if memory is right pichu's jolt comes out frame 18 and jumps 4. I look for links to jump and what their gimicks are. With a general idea that link will pull at some ranges and never hurts to retreat pull if You don't lose coverage range.

Link will pull in those easy to see cases. While reaction is semi possible on both ends i still feel it's predictable enough that even without it being frame tight it's legit enough and it really does mess up everything links wants to do.

He at best trades damage with the jolt and is non cornered and the stun basically slows him down too much to reliablely double projectile. And while each is still very good they are worse by themselves generally.

And once pichu is this close nair pressure is easy to apply and maintain

Banned via Warnings
But i can moonwalk two different ways as pichu even 3 with ics.

But real talk m2k drunk can beat any link. It's favor is stage based for sure.

Nah i'm sticking to my guns here i know this chartcer pretty well and have seen some sick di on my own behalf and even come backs that i don't think pichu should be able to do because how important a fresh nair is and honestly i bet i could even use fair to slice through link's nair something i never do but that slow speed

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
link's late nair will cover all your options. it has more priority than your moves.
if he over commits to nair and you get under him, utilt and uair can pop him up because of disjointed hitboxes, but that's your only hope.
The matchup is really bad for pichu.

Banned via Warnings
Pichu's nair is disjointed… it can go through fox's nair. Why i want frame by frame pictures of nair so i can better understand how I can abuse it's proity. I think i about have it down vs fox it'd be insane if I could abuse it vs marios but idk if i could ever beat it even if it's disjointed.

Also do You mean link's full jump nair? Where You can double nair a shield or 2nd jump. It's great but being slow compared to things like fox's. Also the full hop is predictable because of platforms and lack of bomb

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
fox's nair and link's nair are completely different moves, why are you even comparing them?
Link's nair has more range, priority, and is disjointed. It also is the only move in the game that has a hibbox while the move is not out.
It will straight up beat pichu's nair. not even a trade.

Banned via Warnings
I played a link today no matter the move the game seems to be to bait. I just need to hammer out how to di some moves the right way so i live forever.

Yeah not a great link or anything but still pratice

Banned via Warnings
I didn't say i played a good link just i've played one last night and the part i sucked at was diing right very some moves. I've played a lot of links

i've never played a really good link(i have my doubts there is one in the midwest besides stro) but i've played a bunch and believe it or not it was a match-up i played more links than space animals at tournament till 2012.

Charcters that try to wall out pichu that aren't sheik, peach or samus are honestly not even hard to get in on really link is honestly just easy to punish edge guard shield pressure not care about his cc and easy to bait.

And honestly the punish ratio is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy closer to pichu's favor then like any match up besides fox but that doesn't matter. Link auto combos but pichu in most mu can't be auto combeod after 40-70 in most mu. Honestly while link can keep pichu on lock it shouldn't happen for long if i di better and up-b is an amazing anti juggling tool.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uuuh.... pretty sure every one of the top 10 can wall out pichu really easily.
actually most characters can if they are technically proficient.
It isn't that hard tbh.

but if you're playing pichu, chances are it isn't serious, and people won't gay wall you.
but almost every character can abuse his lack of range, and he's fast, but he isn't fast enough to get around that **** easily like pika or fox can.

Banned via Warnings
Pichu's dd is subpar honestly i think peach's is easier to abuse just because high proity nair, dash attack/grab is so good as peach for beating stuff out.

I hate playing pichu i always get myself in trouble with him and it's a waste of skill. That said he as much as i hate it is my favorite character in smash to play as and i've failed to quit him so many times it sucks.

But seriously between 3 different nairs and their follow-ups, empty, running sh pull back empty/waveland and 2nd jump out jolt. I honestly think pichu can approach near anything, however port proity is incrediblely helpful and the need to be frame perfect something most fox players think they understand. But they don't wait to nair last sec because it is a 100% must because shine is durp safe move on shields in general.

Ugggg i've been really bad about being ocd about stuff lately now i need to practice pichu nairs after wobbling.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pichu nair stuff isn't exactly technically demanding.
You should be able to get it down after a few minutes.

the thing I really suggest working on are ledge-canceled upB stuff and PC ledge hogs out of UpB

EDIT: the Derf.MW pichu combo video is coming soon.

Last edited:

Banned via Warnings
Pc edge hogs are my thing i did it vs mango and it was sick as f*** up-b pc idk if i still think it'd the best. It is the fastest way to the edge but idk if the time is worthit.

I honestly have more problems with shffl nairing perfectly than anything else as pichu like doing a running sh upair waveland with the stick or even fox's shffl nair game is easy. But pichu's nair takes thought up till the last sec and i think before i l-cancel as a lot of characters because i shouldn't if i'll ac or edge cancel.

But you need to react to whatevers happening by the peak of the sh either start the nair(beat out stuff/cross up), then You drift forward a small amount more for vs shield cross-up/ff nair super low nair or You go for max range nair and then lowest nair. And You need to know will i double nair, d-tilt, sh wl upair, grab or combo.

I put a lot of time and thought into nair and with all the small timing changes, shield factor, and the fastest l-cancel in the game it's honestly really hard to correctly use. This isn't a simple nair, can i shine next?

I play pichu because i see how fun it is to play him perfectly and honestly if i'm doing it right and i am technically sound on all my tiny details i feel free and flexible with my one move.

Also not going to reply in the pika thread cause i try not to mix pichu/pika to much as i ask where they see it from a pika standpoint. But honestly i've rushed down luigi players as pichu and the trick is not to attack and to rush. It's really bad but it's way easier to apply vs doc doing dumb moves.

But curious how do You see pichu's neutral game which I think is our biggest sight difference on the character besides i'm 90% done with up-b's usefulness

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
the fastest ways to get to the ledge are these:
1. pc hog out of upB
2. upB hog
3. turn around and wd on
4. reverse jolt
5. moonwalk

so yeah pc hogs are worth it. My pichu doesn't have the timing down anymore, but I used to do them all the time.
my thing is still doraki jump gimps and offstage combos.
or moonwalk ledgecancel bairs.
but I've always been an overly flashy pichu, so w/e.

Banned via Warnings
I really don't care about being flashy i've timed out space animals for fun im friendilies. But moonwalking two different ways as pichu us pretty fun.

How do You break down pichu's neutral game?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pichu's neutral game is all about dash dancing. You want to make sure you're using your full initial dash, because it goes pretty far (so you're fox trotting back and forth)

I use a lot of pivot ftilts and dtilts to stuff approaches. If you are able to do dash-canceled utilts, they are very good with pichu, so I recommend learning them.

fullhop retreating jolt is also really good, but you need to make sure you're using it safely, because it won't auto-cancel. NEVER APPROACH WITH JOLT. It sucks.

jolts can be used to either:
a. force an opponent into shield and interrupt their movement
or
b. force an opponent into the air or on a platform

Pichu revolves around baiting things. You need to force an opening, because you are really not going to safely get in once they catch on to pichu's generic approach.

Banned via Warnings
Up tilt's knockback is so low and can't be comboed with if they di hard away many times i wish i'd up-tilt more but i don't get the chances and offen grab or up-smash are enough. That said up-tilt vs marth/sheik weight is great. Poivts i'm still not sure if it's worth learning as ics/pichu likly easy once learned but still takes time and is another mistake to be made when i could just dd back to stuff.

I'm surprised by Your thoughts on jolts i have always believed the jolts are near useless to retreat (recovery maybe) because because running full jump jolt run with can be great for tech chasing falco/gannon or for putting under someone about to land so i will force a jump or a combo. Starting off fd running full hop jolt has always seemed decent because they either shield, jump, clank or take a hit and pichu's movement with the jolt is pretty even if You keep full movement forward. That said it takes a lot of space to happen and basically fd only.

Also pichu is hit and run mixed with bait but it's in Your face or he's at least close enough to try and come in.

Honestly as silly as it seems or sounds pichu's best time to shine as a rush down bait is when they are on the respawn platform (match-up based can't vs like peach nor anything else for that matter) but say You're fighting samus you dd right under her respawn and she'll likly nair/dair or maybe misslle and it's very easy to predict and avoid once she whiffs she wants to cover as many options with as high or a reward as possible so she'll likly d-smash(maybe d-tilt or whatever move they wan to land should be clear by then) you can sh over d-smash and drift behind her and float back to where You were in the first place and liklyshe'll attack behind herself. Then You can up-smash/grab because whem someone removes movement from the problem it's very easy to be a gangster with raw dumb spacing. But i like to be scary and small.

Pichu is bait/rush down super hard i wish his projectile floated and nair did a little more and just more offense heal for being closein yo face.

But unlike other low tiers that are best played defensive to avoid things like grabs and shine or whatever breaks them in the match-up, i just feel the if pichu were to slowly bully someone into a corner or take center stage control the only thing he honestly can do is upair jump overs or give away space to punish them. His stage control is way to weak so he needs to be on You enough to threat with nair so You won't take it.
That said someone in a corner vs pichu isn't very helpful most the time

Hey once i get a better job like my last one i'll start traveling again and when ever i get wasted i always rave about how great ohio is as a state and i've only past through, never stayed xD. But i think IL. sucks as a state, indianapolis is sadly trying to match Chicago's crime rate

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm hosting a tournament in NWOH in april, so that isn't much of a drive for you. You should show up.

Banned via Warnings
I wanta things have been very hard. Harder to stay sober and harder to do it all.

But man i don't like pichu dittos just because of the silly nair and shield game rather embass myself with my bad top tiers. But i'll try em" again i guess.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pichu dittos are dumb.
And yeah dude, I know the struggle of sobriety, I've been sober for almost 10 months now. You can always message me if you want to talk about that kind of ****.

Top Bottom