• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Pichu Matchup Thread

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
What would you say the best place is to take fox and sheik? THey are pretty common for pichu to fight. I love battlefeild but I think that's one of sheik's places

wool

Smash Ace
What would you say the best place is to take fox and sheik? THey are pretty common for pichu to fight. I love battlefeild but I think that's one of sheik's places
Yeah for Fox I like battlefield/YS/DL64. Anywhere where they cant laser camp. Plus platforms help get those uairs to start combos.
For Falco I like anything wihout platforms, mainly because he can do more with platforms than you can, though im not really scared of falco since powershielding helps stop his game a lot.
For Shiek, I really have no idea. I guess somewhere where the dthrow chain grab gets messed up, so maybe fountain of dreams (hoping that a platform stops them, and the stage is small). Plus since sheiks recovery sucks it would be easier to kill her.
For Marth I like anywhere with platforms, since at FD I have absolutely no idea how to approach.
For CFalcon anywhere thats small.
For Puff, Peach, and ICs I wouldn't even use Pichu.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah for fox I was thinking dreamland because it takes so much longer to kill pichu and shinespikes don't really stop pichu other than maybe somewhere low.

What about corn for sheik? bumps and junk everywhere pichu gets a lot of stuff from there and stuff so yeah and sometimes your f-throw chain is longer. oh yeah never use your pummel on the stepest part of the fin you can't hit them with the pummel so you just take damage.

you would fight marth or sheik but not puff? I understand ice climbers they have a fear factor. I still wouldn't take them to Pokefart or Rainbow H***.

wool

Smash Ace
I dont know, corn seems a bit risky against shiek. that D throw scares me too much (unless, does that up angle part help stop it? I dont know.)

reason why i said i wouldnt fight puff/peach is because pichu has like nooo combos on them. its obviously not his worst matchup but i would hate to play it. the game would be really slow (even though thats true for all characters lol pichu vs puff would be like super slow). like id go for 1 uair at a time lol.

hahaha forgot about ICs at those places. Yeah, those can be good, but ICs specifically **** Pichu. the matchup is like 100-0 lol. 1 grab literally is 1 stock (any stage except the two you mentioned lol). Probably would do decent on rainbrow cruise but on his counter pick.....FD....*cries*

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I play as the ice climbers I couldn't respect myself if I did that you them even if it's one of the most uneven match-ups of all time. oh don't forget pichu had the best tech in the game but the worse side techs in the game. WTF. corn messes with peoples grabs and edge gaurdif I was recoveying at the front of the ship I would go for the guns and thunder camp them up-B back up and B camp them. Crap I let one of my ideas out

Colm12321

Smash Rookie
So I've been messing around a bit with both peach and pichu. Peach has an advantage, easily.
for example, If You suck at DI, she can float-fair you across FD completely at 20-30% It also kills you around 100-110%, and it outranges all your attacks (bar maybe usmash if you space it). You aren't going to win grab contests, she has dthrow-dsmash-aerial.
(Edit: Don't dthrow her. Nairing you while you're still going back to idle animation oh god)

Projectiles-wise, I actually think pichu has a chance. So long as yiu lock peach down with jolt, she can't pluck turnips. If she's in the air, keep her there because she can't pluck 'em there either.

Recovering and edgeguarding... lol. Peach Bairs or Nairs you out of agility. You nair or bair her out of float /parasol.

Or I just suck with pichu in this matchup. either way.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I hate pichu vs peach more than marth vs pichu. Really when recovering to not get hit never use side-B OK, side-B is only for when you will barely live. also keep in mind you should recovery where they aren't able to stop you like marth is near the edge I go totally around and over him. pichu's recovery is ******** like all pokamon recoverys.

I am afraid of peach just like sheik because I don't understand them really. Really I think mindgames and nair spam and lucky up-smash is the best way to go and use your waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better movement.

Colm12321

Smash Rookie
So basically play as per every other matchup? /troll

But I wouldn't say we're more mobile. Just... quicker. And quicker comes in handy for avoiding dtilt to usmash/aerial.

Although I'd say uair spam. The longer she's in the air, the less time she's spending throwing turnips or grabbing us.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
pichu has better ground movemonet easily.peach has like the 4th worse ground movement in the game. Not every match-up is the same other than mindgames. d-tilt isn't a commonly used by peach relly peach doesn't tilt much so you won't have to worry about tacos.

In truth I like fighting puff like 100x more than peach. I myself would love some advice also, glad to see there is another pichu player

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
extra cool, you know what's better? when you say hey i'm going to space with f-tilt that move with less range than rest, people can't believe it becauase WTF f-tilt it clanks with marth's f-smash also, to good.

Hey if I get hold of a turnip what should I do with it as pichu?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
that really does sound about. Hey did you know f-smash can be a full hand of needles by sheik? i've done once in double, but it makes me think that wd back f-smash would be a nice way to counter sheik's sh needles.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Ftilt is surprisingly effective vs peach's non turnip approach.
Fair and dash A **** it. If Peach isn't doing that when she's not using a turnip, then she's high.

Why am I in the Pichu boards? Well, I just remembered my Pichu is ****ing amazing and wanted to scout the competition lolz

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'd think that if Peach is approaching with Fair you could just jump at her and Nair her and try to hit her before her move comes out a la Fox. Pichu's pretty mobile so it might work with him. Stationary and retreating Fairs I offer you nothing, however, except be amazing and have stupid reaction time (or just let them do their moves and don't challenge them).

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
well if you can react like that shopuldn't you be able to beat her out with up-tilt and maybe lead to something. heck If we want to get really crazy up-smash(beats out a decent amount of moves in truth) if she is spacing you move out of her hitbox for a sec. and come back and F*** her up. Really I know if you find puff's pattern you can sometimes wd under her and up-smash her so maybe vs peach. pity she goes to high.

Any clue as in how to bait puff into resting? side-B at like 25% any stage should end her. and if it doesn't LOL 39% tacted on her. LOL LOL it's just really funny that pichu has the best punishment on puff's rest in the whole game other than maybe roy but you know that's roy and he can't even fight puff.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter if anything that's not a projectile clanks with one of her aerials.... cause she's gonna float cancel to dsmash or jab haha.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
you can't clank with aerials!!

and doc has the best puff punish. 4 capes followed by fsmash kills her starting at 0 on most stages.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
well if you can react like that shopuldn't you be able to beat her out with up-tilt and maybe lead to something. heck If we want to get really crazy up-smash(beats out a decent amount of moves in truth) if she is spacing you move out of her hitbox for a sec. and come back and F*** her up. Really I know if you find puff's pattern you can sometimes wd under her and up-smash her so maybe vs peach. pity she goes to high.
I don't feel that would work because U-tilt demands you stop in front of her and be stationary and it also has no range. She's only going to come down swinging when she has a hitbox, too, so you're at best trading.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
true but techical players do running up-tilts it's possible but pretty hard. run- duck, up-tilt really fast.

But yeah you have a point, oh yeah pichu can't be grabbed by peach/zxedla when jabbing so maybe one could use sheild pressure to sheild stab and make her stop using her sheild But I don't think peach would sheild lke the ice climbers or anything like that.

LOL i'll go pichu vs peach but not ice climbers vs peach because all the ice climbers have scaried me worse than the pichu vs sheik match-up.

No matter what thank you for your time KK if we added another K it would be the Kool Kids Klub.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
what you can't do a running up-tilt? I just rode my bike 15 miles to play some freindlies with someone who was a decent peach to learn more about the match-up I geuss and it turned out he moved away like a week ago and my brother didn't tell me till I got there.

But brother is an ***hole.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
obviously peach will be a difficult match up for pichu, but I think pichu has the tools to at least hold its own.

Obviously the first major concern for pichu is killing peach. However, compared to some other lower tiered characters, pichu does have more options for taking a stock. Upsmash is likely going to be your only killing move unless your opponent can't DI out of Fsmash. Dsmash is extremely risky due to its short range and other obvious reasons. Likely, you'll have to end up taking off stocks with Bair or Nair at higher percents.

What I like about Pichu though in this match up is that Pichu is pretty mobile, and most people tend to forget that. Pichu is pretty fast and can run circles around Peach using a "get in get out" playing style likely consisting of Nairs (obv). Especially if you camp the platforms, its going to be very tough for Peach to get around it.

If anything, this match up, imo, is one of Pichu's easier higher tier match ups

BunBun

Smash Master
what you can't do a running up-tilt? I just rode my bike 15 miles to play some freindlies with someone who was a decent peach to learn more about the match-up I geuss and it turned out he moved away like a week ago and my brother didn't tell me till I got there.

But brother is an ***hole.
Oh god****it don't start talking about your bike again xD

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
true but techical players do running up-tilts it's possible but pretty hard. run- duck, up-tilt really fast.
I already thought about this. It's still poor (IMO) because she can float over your U-tilt and wait it out and then drop with the Fair. Additionally, you also have the rules of dash hindering it. You have to be kind of far to do it because you can't do stuff with your initial dash frames unless you do something extremely technical like pivot U-tilt, which is plausible, but it still comes back to depending on the Peach to not compensate for your movement and just moving back, or her not falling directly onto the move. She needs to make a fairly large error for that strategy to be an issue.

But yeah you have a point, oh yeah pichu can't be grabbed by peach/zxedla when jabbing so maybe one could use sheild pressure to sheild stab and make her stop using her sheild But I don't think peach would sheild lke the ice climbers or anything like that.
She would more than likely just try to D-smash you when your jab pushed her out of range. That's what some Peaches seem to do vs rapid jabs after failing a CC, anyway. But if you just stopped when she went out of range you'd probably be okay.

LOL i'll go pichu vs peach but not ice climbers vs peach because all the ice climbers have scaried me worse than the pichu vs sheik match-up.
I'm positive Ice Climbers do better than Pichu because of ledge chain grab and sheer damage output when they do get something homo going but do what makes you happy.

No matter what thank you for your time KK if we added another K it would be the Kool Kids Klub.
Actually it would be KookyKirbyKaze.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i've always hated this match-up thing in the way it's like this is how your ***** and they leave it at that for the most part other than some of KK's posts but it doesn't give you any advice on counter pick stages, grab combos, percents for combos or anything. like if I ever fight a falco/fox in my head 60% is the magic number if they are over it they shouldn't be on the stage and you need them off NOW grab/smash/strong hit nair. if under upair to whatever you feel like

at 40ish nair to jab reset to **** that stock it's to fast for them to react in most cases. you could f-smash the 1st chance after the jab and avoid a lot of unneeded weak hits and make it hard to SDI out. but if they did tech it you can quickly follow up with a grab/nair/up-air and farther your damage easily. those small combos do a lot of damage and set-up kills/edge gaurd.

because with this kind of info this is what you do.

make this one of those charts

start-> don't get hit
start-> I got hit->( if not 5th time or farther) go back to start
I got hit ->(5th time or farther) -> off edge

I got hit i'm over 100% lose stock go back to start

off edge-> I recovery
off edge-> I didn't recovery lose stock go back to start

start-> don't get hit-> I was grabed-> lose stock

start-> don't get hit-> nair

nair-> did it land?-

yes-> repeat 5 more times till edge gaurd

no-> don't get punished unless they spaced well repeat.

really in theory nair>any other option pichu has. he has like the 4th best nair in the game at least.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
ALRIGHT PICHU PEOPLE LISTEN UP! Let's get this thing going, I need some volunteers to do write ups on matchups. I'll take G&W since I wrote the opposite version on his boards, I can probably manage Pichu as well, maybe Bowser and Kirby as well. Anyone want to volunteer for the others?

I can also take this horribly outdated info and stick in places for now to have something for now, but I'd prefer to have new up to date stuff.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Ok Derf.MW's brief description of the top 8 MUs (Will work on the rest of the cast later)

THIS TIME: SHEIK

1. Fox :foxmelee::

--Stages of Choice:--
1. FD:
this is your number 1 choice against fox. High ceilings, no platforms, you CG game is unstoppable, combos for days, etc.

2. BF:
The platforms are perfect for you here, it's small enough that you can control it, and the ledges make fox's recovery predictable. You can't cg too well, but overall your #2 stage. It does have a lower ceiling though, so be careful of uthrow uairs at low percents.

3. DL:
You'll probably get camped a bit, but that's alright. The platforms are great for you, like battlefield, you can ledgecancel your upB from the ground on the top platform (the timing is a little harder than on battlefield though), so you have some anti-platform camping tools. You'll be able to cg in the middle of the stage, and the killzones are far away, so you get to live a little longer. DON'T GET INTIMIDATED BY LASERS.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you pick Stadium.
I like yoshi's as a pichu stage, but it's also terrible against fox.

---

If Fox plays correctly, sadly, there is really nothing you can do.
But fortunately for Pichus, almost no foxes will actually do that!
The average fox player lays back while playing a pichu, because he's the best character, and you're terrible, so you can get opening on a dumb spacey who is auto-piloting the whole time.

So, in neutral, you have your dashdance (into nair or grab or utilt, generally), and you have your fullhop retreating jolts. You can use jolts to stop an over-committed approach, force fox to shield, or get fox to jump up on a platform. You need to look for that double jump, because that is a nice thing to take away from a spacey.
You can also use fullhop retreating PAs as a baiting gimmick, but don't become over-reliant on them.

Don't shield. Shielding stops your movement, robs you of a lot of options, and is a big bubble that tells for "here is a free grab," which means uthrow uair, which kills you at like 40%.

Be careful on fox's shield. Your standard nair through shield->uair/pivot grab is risky because shine out of shield will crap on you.

A lot of spacies like to laser camp or bair camp you. This can be pretty hard to deal with.
What you're going to want to do is dash dance in an out. When they jump up, you want to run under them and do a dash canceled utilt.
Those can be pretty hard to learn, so if you can't do it, rising uair will work too, but its more risky.
you can also try upB gimmicks, but thats dangerous if they catch on.

If fox is camping the top platform, it REALLY helps if you know how to ledgecancel your upB into a pivot fsmash.
Don't just jump up there, because that's what fox wants.

the name of your game is getting a grab and chainthrowing the hell out of any fastfaller with uthrow. You're pichu, any free stocks you can take, you should.
If you get a grab near the ledge, bthrow that kid so fast.
from bthrow, you can cover every one of fox's options if you react quick enough.
I usually like to sh jolt to cover jump, sideB, and instant upB.
You can also just nair.
And if you wanna be ballsy, after you bthrow, if you side B off stage, and fox tries to buffer a jump, he'll get hit and lose his jump, then you just nair him.

for edgeguards, if you time your fsmash so only the last hit connects, fox is dead.
ftilt angled down also means a pretty dead fox.

utilt (with your back to the ledge) is pretty darn good if they miss the sweetspot.

you can fair or nair to intercept their sideB. Late nair destroys their upB.

Jolts are great for their sideB or the charging phase of their upB, but once they start moving, upB will go through jolts, so don't over-commit.

--Lastly--
DIing uthrow uair is suuuper important.
Here is how it's done:
DI the throw BEHIND fox.
then, SDI the other direction when he jumps to uair you.

2. FALCO :falcomelee::

1. FD:
Final Destination is your ideal stage against falco. There are no platforms to interrupt your chaingrabs or juggling, the walls and ceilings are pretty far away, and falco's movement is restricted due to lack of platforms. The only downside to this stage is that you don't have platforms to maneuver on to avoid lasers.

2. BF:
As always, this is a fantastic Pichu stage. The platforms are perfectly positioned for you to run around on and the ledges really hurt falco's recovery. The downside here is that, even though the platforms are perfect for you, they are also perfect for falco. He can be pretty fast on this stage, so you need to figure out his movement. At low percents, Falco will try to kill you off the top, so make sure you are SDIing his shines.

3. DL:
This stage has its ups and downs. It's got really far walls, so you'll be able to live a lot longer, there is a lot of room for you to run around, and you'll be able to chaingrab for awhile in the middle of the stage, BUT, falco has a lot of space to just shoot lasers. Overall, this is not a bad stage for falco, but you should be able to use this stage to your advantage.

DO NOT let falco take you to Yoshi's Story. You will die so fast.
Falco's also
love Fountain, and they can combo you for days.
Stadium can be a risky choice as well due to the low ceiling and transformations don't help you.

---

For the most part, your goals in this matchup are exactly the same as if you were playing against fox.
Fortunately, Falco is a
bit easier. You won't die off the top nearly as easily (still be weary of shine combos, however). Falco's recovery is also god awful and even easier to deal with than Fox's.
One thing I want to make clear: As soon as you see Falco's
upB charging, hit him out of it right away. He's dead.
Falco's charging flames don't have a hitbox, so you won't get caught in them if you go out there.

The main difference in this matchup is that Falco is going to use lasers to interrupt your movement and try to force you in to shield. BE CAREFUL WITH SHIELDING. When you panic and go in to shield, you're letting falco close in on you.

It is super important that you learn to SDI falco's shine. Pretty much, you want to DI away from him. NEVER DI A SHINE IN TOWARDS FALCO.

Some really cool moves in this matchup are Utilt and Uair. They are disjointed, so if you time them correctly, you can challenge falco's down air. A lot of falco players are over-reliant on that move, so take advantage of it!

It should also be noted that ftilt is the falco slayer. It'll smack him out of his recovery and lazy nair approaches. Use it wisely.

If you get grabbed, falco is probably going to try and uthrow bair you. Don't panic, just DI behind him as if you were trying to escape fox's uthrow uair.

When falcos are on the ledge, they love to ledgehop double laser. Pichu isn't great at dealing with this, but if you are close enough, and they go for it, you can ftilt them. If you are a little further, try to get your powershielding down and reflect the first one. It can be pretty difficult to really do anything about it though.

Other than that, the matchup is exactly like fox.

3. SHEIK :sheikmelee::

1. DL:
Dreamland is pretty much your only hope in this matchup. You can abuse your mobility to run around sheik a bit and keep yourself alive a lot longer than on other stages.

2. BF:
This is only a good stage for you if your movement is on point. You need to be able to hit every edge cancel and keep moving at all times. This stage is really good for sheiks to move around on and needle camp, so you need to be moving faster than she is. Be careful of the lower ceiling, sheik will want to dthrow uair you.

Never let Sheik take you to Yoshi's Story or Fountain of Dreams. Stadium and FD are also risky choices though.

---

This matchup is straight up horrible. You don't really have a crouch cancel, so sheik can just start wailing on you at low percent. You have to be moving fast and occasionally put yourself in risky positions just to get around sheik's needle camping, and even then, you have enough trouble dealing with just sheik's ftilt.

You're pretty much going to want to run away with jolts for as long as you can. It is super important that you never stop moving in this matchup.

If you get grabbed, you're probably dead. Sheik is going to start dthrowing you and can chaingrab you with it until killing percent. You're going to want to try to mix up your DI a bit, but sheik can react to it easily. Try to get off the stage, DIing down and away. You'll probably get faired and die, but sometimes you'll live.

Edgeguarding sheik is pretty easy. Pretty much, just make sure she loses her second jump, then grab the ledge and hold it until she reappears. If she teleports on to the stage, just jump up there and throw her back off or upsmash her if she's at high percent.

Fsmash is very interesting in this matchup because it will suck sheik in if she tries to sweetspot the ledge. Don't overuse it because a good sheik will SDI out of it.

This is a matchup where thunderwalls can actually be useful if used correctly. They stop needles and prevent sheik from approaching you.

If you get the chance to get sheik above you, try to keep her up there as long as you can with uair, utilt, usmash, and rising nair. She has trouble coming down on top of pichu. Watch out for fast fall fairs though.

If you get a grab, dthrow and fthrow are really good. You can pull off some janky chain throws at low percents. At mid percent, your dthrow combos into your aerials really well.

Overall, this is a rough matchup. Don't get frustrated.

Last edited:

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Damm what about marth? I tjink pichu if marth up throws goes too high for a follow up lol. But if they catch on that fsmash from a grab is bad. I take it never go to fountain with marth?

Top Bottom