• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Phantom Mafia - So This Is How Liberty Dies

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
I think just one makes sense. It has to be The Godfather. No way could this game have had 5 mafia. The traitor basically confirmed that he mafia has 3 people because of the size and that a 4th was possible
Why does there have to be a "The Godfather" in this game?

But that’s useful info. Nabe has to be godfather. I know I’m town. Which mean he has a town alignment. And if that’s the cause then when we look at his past actions it makes a lot of sense.

He wanted the check so badly because he knew it would fully clear after that weird silencer act.
I didn't want the check, I just didn't fight it, because Kon came hard out of the gate saying I was confirmed mafia Day 2, and quite literally would not stop.

What the hell is with the assumption that me being your alignment means that I'm a godfather? Like, what?

#HBC | Nabe

3. A godfather exists, and either me or Shiny found them (narrowing them down to Nabe or Z25), making my result uncertain.
Shiny didn't actually cop me, though. Bard admitted that had been a lie only a page or two afterwards. He said the check didn't go through, so they decided to lie and bait reactions from the result. Shiny's actual targets were Natz and Golden. That's also clear from the role flip, which had one of each cop ability.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Vote: Thirdkoopa

My free ability is to charge points at Night through meditation, and it's unblockable. Koops' claim runs super-close to my role in that aspect.
uh no it's not because I'm unblockable only if I end up targeting someone else.

I can understand Shish's uncertainty, but this is suspect.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Why does there have to be a "The Godfather" in this game?

I didn't want the check, I just didn't fight it, because Kon came hard out of the gate saying I was confirmed mafia Day 2, and quite literally would not stop.

What the hell is with the assumption that me being your alignment means that I'm a godfather? Like, what?
Because a Godfather is a given pretty much. I’ve only not played 3 of our mafias or so, but there’s always been a Godfather. It’s just tradition and how the game works.

Unless you have reason to suspect a non god father in the mafia...

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Shiny didn't actually cop me, though. Bard admitted that had been a lie only a page or two afterwards. He said the check didn't go through, so they decided to lie and bait reactions from the result. Shiny's actual targets were Natz and Golden. That's also clear from the role flip, which had one of each cop ability.
Yeah. I think I confused myself on that for a moment, while I was trying to put together all of the possible explanations. It's still a possibility, just that I might not have found them yet.

Because a Godfather is a given pretty much. I’ve only not played 3 of our mafias or so, but there’s always been a Godfather. It’s just tradition and how the game works.

"Tradition" isn't really a good reason to expect something to show up. It's possible that Vaan decided the investigative roles were weak enough, without needing a godfather in the mix, or he could have decided specifically to break the "tradition". That's getting a bit too much into speculating about the setup and the host's frame of mind, but I wouldn't just assume something is in the game just because of "tradition".

D

Deleted member

Well, at least we now know that if Third flips Town, Nabe is definitely the last scum.
Did anyone else besides me get zero Force points from Joja's flip? I've been blaming Golden for it, but his block shouldn't have done that. Openly claim zero or non-zero please, number not relevant.
I did not get any either.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I don't know if this is too speculative right now, but how many mafia do we suppose are left in the game? We've already eliminated two plus the traitor, so I'd expect only one more... but Pokechu (who of course ended up being mafia) seemed pretty convinced that there were four in total, and looking back their explanation sounds more and more like they were caught making a slip. If that's the case it would mean there are two remaining, though a potential of five total mafiosi sounds a bit too much for a game of this size.
We've taken out Ventress and Maul. Out of the prequel Star Wars characters, all the Sith we have left are Dooku and Sidious. The latter of which would be likely be a Godfather, given the character's role in the story. That would make four scum total, with a possible fifth if the traitor were to be accepted. That would potentially put the initial town-to-scum ratio at 16:4, 16:5 with the traitor. I think having two scum remaining is a very real possibility.

As of now, there's seven of us left, and say the town-to-scum ratio is 5:2. We mislynch today, that goes down to 4:2. Mafia kills again at night, 3:2. At that point, all it would take is another mislynch and Mafia wins.

#HBC | Nabe

Moydow Moydow , does the wording of your role give you any reason to think that there might be a godfather? A parity cop plus a godfather in the same setup makes for a muddy interaction unless it's spelled out in the ability details.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Moydow Moydow , does the wording of your role give you any reason to think that there might be a godfather? A parity cop plus a godfather in the same setup makes for a muddy interaction unless it's spelled out in the ability details.
It just says I can compare two players and learn whether or not they are of the same alignment. While results are "your targets share the same alignment". There's nothing saying whether or not my results are always guaranteed to be accurate, or if there's anything that could tamper with them.

#HBC | Nabe

It just says I can compare two players and learn whether or not they are of the same alignment. While results are "your targets share the same alignment". There's nothing saying whether or not my results are always guaranteed to be accurate, or if there's anything that could tamper with them.
Does the role wording say "both players come up as the same to an alignment check"? Or does it say "they share the same alignment"? Because roles don't have alignments, they say what you show up as to an alignment check. That may seem picky of me, but Vaan is definitely detail-oriented. So if Vaan didn't stipulate the former rather than the latter, that suggests to me that he was conflating alignments with alignment checks when he wrote your role. And that suggests the absence of a godfather, which is a role that would alignment check as Light, but that you couldn't truly say had an alignment of Light.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Does the role wording say "both players come up as the same to an alignment check"? Or does it say "they share the same alignment"? Because roles don't have alignments, they say what you show up as to an alignment check. That may seem picky of me, but Vaan is definitely detail-oriented. So if Vaan didn't stipulate the former rather than the latter, that suggests to me that he was conflating alignments with alignment checks when he wrote your role. And that suggests the absence of a godfather, which is a role that would alignment check as Light, but that you couldn't truly say had an alignment of Light.
It says it checks if "they share the same alignment". If it was the former I'd also be more inclined to suspect something like a godfather that could throw off the result.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
What's everyone's thoughts of third voting himself? its a bit of WIFOM situation where he could be using it as a way to convince town to vote someone else last minute, in the case he's scum. Though there is a chance that its also scum folding thinking victory isn't in sight.
Also on the if he's town who are the most worth looking at? Nabe, Alpha, and shishoe seem to be the only candidates after that since I'm town and me and Z25 both confirmed that Moydow didn't kill golden last night.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
People voting for themselves never ends well if they get a chance to undo it, I know this from my own experiences. :p

More seriously I don't really have any thoughts on it, since I don't know if this is something they've done before. So either they're taking one for the team, the last mafioso going quietly, or trying to play mindgames and hoping it'll convince us to look elsewhere.

But just to make sure no shenanigans can happen:

Vote: Thirdkoopa

If he comes up as town I'd say Nabe would be next in the queue, unless my check produces a different result (probably not a good idea to say in the thread who I'll be using it on?). Beyond that, we'd then be looking at calling into question things like Alpha's claim to have been defended by Maven, which resulted in Maven's death (and which nobody else claimed involvement in).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I typically self-vote when I have no reason to believe we're in that dire of straights. I could have made an argument towards lynching someone else, but I believe I already pushed towards a massclaim.

You should make sure there's a massclaim tomorrow after my death.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Honestly we should massclaim right now. Like I want Jedi name, allegiance/alignment, and abilities.
For example, Shaak Ti, Jedi/Light, Redirect and anti roleblock.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Honestly we should massclaim right now. Like I want Jedi name, allegiance/alignment, and abilities.
- Kit Fisto
- Jedi, Light, Green lightsaber
- Parity cop (compare players to learn if they share the same alignment)
- Ability alignment check (tells me if the ability my target used is Light, Dark, or Grey)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
For example, Shaak Ti, Jedi/Light, Redirect and anti roleblock.
Cin Drallig.

I’m the head master of ge Jedi temple and can disarm lightsabers.

And fight in someone’s steed if I do wish. But I haven’t used that as I had no way to tell who would be targeted. So I didn’t see much use in this ability even if it doesn’t cost force points.

Which my disarm uses 3 of as mentioned

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
"Reached a decision, the council has."

It is the council's decision that Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa has committed sedition against the Republic, and thus, he will be expelled from the Jedi Order.

"You shall forfeit all rank and privelages within the Grand Army of the Republic. You will be turned over to the Republic courts to await your trial, and whatever punishment they will set for you. Henceforth, you are barred from the Jedi Order."

JOCASTA NU

Jocasta Nu is the head librarian of the Jedi Temple Archives, a trusted historian, keeper of the Holocron
and the accumulated knowledge of the Jedi Order. But she has lived long enough to see the folly of the Jedi,
and has adopted a new, darker way of life. She is the COUNTESS DOOKU, Dark Lord of the Sith

Your Allegiance is to the SITH
Alignment Checks come up as DARK
Your Lightsaber is RED

"If an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist."
NIGHT ACTION - DARK
For 10 Force Points, you may enter the Jedi Archives and expunge a player's record. If they
die, no information will be revealed during the flop.

"No Disintegrations."
NIGHT ACTION - DARK
Once per game, you can order a hit on one player, and they will be killed by a Bounty
Hunter some time during the following Day Phase. Any votes cast by that player before
they die will not be counted.

"This Contest Cannot Be Decided By Our Knowledge of the Force, but by Our Skills with a Lightsaber."
NIGHT ACTION - LIGHT
If you opt out of using a skill for the night, you can pass up to 3 of your own Force Points
to a teammate, usable exclusively for wagering in that night's factional duel.

You have 14 FORCE POINTS at your disposal.

WIN CONDITION: More Sith Exist in the Galaxy than Jedi

Master Plo's body has vanished, leaving only his robes behind.

NIGHT FOUR BEGINS NOW.

Night phase will last 24 hours and end on 10/7 at 6pm PST.

Reminder: I must be added to all night conversations, and no talk is to occur in this thread.

Night phase will be followed by a 1 HOUR Dawn Phase, wherein no more communication of any kind can occur while any duels are resolved.

If you will not be active between 6pm and 7pm PST, you may queue up a duel wager during the night that will be used only in the event that you are challenged to a duel. Failure to submit a duel wager when challenged will result in a bet of ZERO.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There are four mafia and could have been five?

We are going to have a talk vaan...

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
NIGHT 4 HAS ENDED.

DAWN PHASE BEGINS NOW AND ENDS IN ONE HOUR.

No communication can occur via Night PM or in this thread until the Dawn Phase has finished.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The Jedi and The Sith continue to
fight for control of the Galaxy, but
only one will win the war. . .

Master Yoda is the first to arrive at the Jedi Temple, but unlike so many mornings previous, there is no trace of a fallen comrade.

THE PHANTOM MAFIA
EPISODE V: SITH LORDS ARE OUR SPECIALTY

Day 5 begins now and will last 24 hours and end on 10/8 at 6pm PST.

#HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe Fire Emblemier Fire Emblemier Z25 Z25 Moydow Moydow AlphaSSB AlphaSSB @Shishœ

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Alright well looks that was easy.

Vote: Nabe

Hope you liked the disarm.

Anyway Moydow Moydow how did your check go?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Shish shares the same alignment as you and Nabe.

------
I received something from someone last Night, anyone want to say anything about that?
Hm. I still think Godfather makes the most sense.

As for what you received. Was it force points?

@shishoe might knownhe can hand stuff out

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
As for what you received. Was it force points?
I was trying to be as non-specific as possible in case it provoked a slip from someone. :p

But yeah, it was force points. It said "the Force calls out", and I got force points from it. There was no mention of white lightsabers, so I figure it wasn't Shish.

Top Bottom