• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Perfect Specimen Of A Man Returns!- A Wario Return Thread

Waht is your favorite Wario

• Brawl Wario

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Smash 4 Wario

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • PM Wario

Votes: 41 37.6%
  • I want a new Wario

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I hate Wario

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Is bite one of the best moves in the game now? It's a command grab, it's as laggy as his regular grab which means its actually surprisingly safe to whiff, it has more range than his actual grab, it can beat out spot dodges by holding the button, it kills at a decent percent. It softens an opponents lead by healing Wario and can also keep him out of kill percents, the damage you can get off of it is gross at mid percents, at higher percents its not unusual for opponents to take upwards of 20% from it, and at kill percents it can give a good 25-30% or so. 3 bites and the throw alone do more damage than fthrow does. It also stops projectiles and lets wario heal from said projectiles. All this combines to give bite amazing versatility and usefulness as a move. It's basically a slightly toned down Nosferatu if Nosferatu was given to a good character and had actual kill power instead of a grab release.

Last edited:

ElDood

Smash Cadet
Just a note. Been playing against Piranha Plants online all day, and have noticed something.

This character can't handle Wario at all. Seriously. The poison mist is too slow to catch Wario 90% of the time, and Wario can just get away from it seemingly at will.

His range is ok, but too slow for Wario not to simply Jigglypuff through.

But the most damning thing about PP is the fact that at any angle, his recovery gets trounced by both DAir and waft.

Seriously. This character has no good recovery options returning to the stage. If he's above the stage, you'll punish him on landing. If he's below the stage, he's an easy gimp kill.

I don't know if the character is bad, or if Wario just acts as a hard counter to him.

*please don't laugh at this post if later on it's discovered that PP has a ridiculous setup against Wario that hard counters him.*

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Piranha Plant honestly just doesn't seem that great overall currently.

The fact that it can't short hop auto-cancel any of its aerials (Except for uair which has deceptively bad range) really limits its options in neutral.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just a note. Been playing against Piranha Plants online all day, and have noticed something.

This character can't handle Wario at all. Seriously. The poison mist is too slow to catch Wario 90% of the time, and Wario can just get away from it seemingly at will.

His range is ok, but too slow for Wario not to simply Jigglypuff through.

But the most damning thing about PP is the fact that at any angle, his recovery gets trounced by both DAir and waft.

Seriously. This character has no good recovery options returning to the stage. If he's above the stage, you'll punish him on landing. If he's below the stage, he's an easy gimp kill.

I don't know if the character is bad, or if Wario just acts as a hard counter to him.
I dunno, but I just faced a competent, not the best but competent Wario and it wasn't too bad. Plant's recovery can be angled in many different ways so smart ones shouldn't be getting gimped every time, and if you whiff you're likely getting caught and dragged by it. Poison might be easy to get out of but you might also be playing into their hands by jumping away. And the spike ball is just good in general at making Wario respect it due to it's many mixups in deterring air approaches..

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Anybody have tips for the mario/DOC matchup?
I'm not too familiar with the :ultmario: MU in Ultimate so I can't help you much there; my only tip is to avoid battlefield like the plague since Mario can use the platforms to deal out a ton of up-airs on you.

:ultdoc: is my secondary though so I'll try to give some advice. His recovery is really bad meaning an offstage f-air while he's recovering will usually be enough to KO him (or at least force him to use tornado or air-dodge which have a lot of end-lag). If you are recovering low be cautious since Doc's tornado is great for edge-guarding and has very high knockback. His pills are a pain to deal with since their high bounce and increased size means they can mess up Wario's air game and he has a lot of pill confirms like pill --> up-b or f-air that can kill relatively early. You'll definitely have to shield a lot and rely on short hop aerials.

ElDood

Smash Cadet
I dunno, but I just faced a competent, not the best but competent Wario and it wasn't too bad. Plant's recovery can be angled in many different ways so smart ones shouldn't be getting gimped every time, and if you whiff you're likely getting caught and dragged by it. Poison might be easy to get out of but you might also be playing into their hands by jumping away. And the spike ball is just good in general at making Wario respect it due to it's many mixups in deterring air approaches..
Additional information I just found out. Spike ball can be eaten, though due to the angle you're usually at when PP throws it at you, it's not really recommended to do so.

Also, his poison mist can totally be eaten.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
The Wario buff in 3.0 is actually super noticable. You can eat mostly any projectile now.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Bite couldn't reliably eat large projectiles like Samus' fully charged neutral B before and also lacked vertical reach as the hitbox was only about as tall as his mouth, meaning he could get hit in the nose by high arcs from things like Doc's pills or Dedede's Gordos, but now the projectile eating hitbox is ridiculously disjointed to prevent both problems.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Since some other character subforums have been doing it, should we make a Wario matchup thread where we discuss how Wario fares for each MU?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Since some other character subforums have been doing it, should we make a Wario matchup thread where we discuss how Wario fares for each MU?
Sure, go for it.
Having one general MU thread is much better and more organized than having multiple MU threads on the subforum.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Final boss for WarioWare Gold is fantastic.
Had an idea as to what Wario Deluxe could play like.
Once taking two stocks from the opponent, and being at 50% or less, Wario's greed (to win) and confidence (in his performance) allows him to transform into a more powerful, Wario Deluxe! If he is knocked off, he will transform back into normal Wario, but with some nerfs. With the exception of his bike (item), his attacks will only do three quarters as much damage as before (though knockback will remain the same) and he will be about 20% lighter.
As for the moveset Wario Deluxe would have. (Note that if I say something along the line of "Like Wario's Up Tilt," I'm comparing the move to the Wario Up Tilt we know, not the Wario Deluxe Up Tilt I may mention beforehand.)

Specials:
Neutral - Wario Deluxe's neutral special is reminiscent of Greninja's side special, though activating quicker and always appearing in front of the opponent, never behind, below or above. "WARIO INTERRUPTS!"
Side - Wario Deluxe attacks them with lightning from his hands which is aimed similar to Palutena's neutral special, though does 0% and no knockback. Instead, it swaps the special and neutral attack buttons for the opponent for their next attack, which can do a great job at messing them up. The opponent can get around this, but if they fall under pressure, they can make critical mistakes, perhaps using an up air when they really should be using their recovery.
Up - Of course, Wario gets carried by his float, in many expensive balloons. Recovery is at least as good as R.O.B.'s in distance, if not greater. Like Villager's recovery, the balloon's can be popped, and popping one will restore 1% for whoever hit it.
Down - Similar to Waft, this is a move that can't be used too often. In fact, it can only be used once. The percentages between Wario Deluxe and his opponent are swapped around. If it's not in a duel, the percent will be swapped with whoever he is closest too. Remaining heavy, this could lead to some devastating blows, Wario Deluxe swapping out his 150% for his opponent's low 25%.

Unique Specialty:
When holding out the shield or dodging, Wario Deluxe is invisible. If his dodge is interrupted by an attack that lands, he will take more knockback and damage than usual.

Tilts:
Up - His current Up Smash, but quicker.
Forward - His current Forward Tilt, but with an explosion effect. Bigger and lasts longer.
Down - Stepping on the ground in front of him with mighty force, hitting the opponent in the feet. Has a stun effect.

Smash Attacks:
Up - A projectile attack, like Mega Man's Forward Smash, where he flicks his head up, launching the pot in the air.
Forward - A supercharged shoulder barge, travelling great distances and being more powerful than Wario's dash attack.
Down - Jumping up a short distance and stomping on the ground, creating an earthquake that works similarly to Donkey Kong's down special.

Aerials:
Up - Like Wario's Up Tilt, but after being launched, golden coins will fall from the sky above him, knocking away the airborne opponent away if they were hit by his hands.
Neutral - Wario Deluxe makes a star pose with his body, hurting whoever is nearby when he launches out his legs and arms.
Down - Pretty much Ganondorf's, but it launches him in the air if it lands on the opponent.
Back - Like Wario's Forward Tilt, but launched behind him. Sweet spot is as devastating as Ike's back air. Has a windbox to push away opponents.

Grab:
Grab will be a similar animation to how he tries tugging Lulu off of him.
Throws will be him aggressively throwing his opponent away.
Up Throw - Holds them down then throws them into the air. Fast knockback but doesn't kill until 130% on average.
Forward Throw - Throws the opponent over his shoulder. Not really a killing throw.
Back Throw - Launches them behind him, not turning around to face them as they launch away. Kills around 100% at the ledge, but otherwise, isn't a killing throw.
Down Throw - This becomes his killing throw! He slams them onto the ground aggressively, which launches them upwards at a diagonal angle. This kills consistently around 100% for most characters.

His attack when recovering onto the stage is simply a burst of magic energy, low damage but a heavy windbox, pushing away the opponent.

His getup attack has electricity burst from his hands, and if it makes contact with the opponent, it will have the same effect as his side special, but also deal say, 3% or 4% and knocking them away a small distance.

Taunts:
Up - [laughing extra maniacally]
Side - Points at the opponent with one hand, while holding to fingers up with his other. Not as a peace sign, but as a reference to his line. "Next to me, you're all number two!"
Down - Wario Deluxe grins villainously and shrugs. "Too bad."

Victory Animations:
1 - Wario Deluxe laughs loudly as he's carried into the air from his balloons.
2 - Wario Deluxe sits in a chair, as money rains onto him.
3 - Wario Deluxe laughs maniacally, before the screen zooms into his eyes.

I understand that this moveset is very, very overpowered. It's an absurdly good moveset because it is one that will very rarely be obtained by the player. Either the opponent will have to be bad (or playing a character who can be countered by Wario's style easily) or the Wario player would have to be good enough to warrant such a reward. It's just a fun idea to be able to play a final boss if you perform well enough, and who else is more fitting to get such a cruel reward?

Wario Deluxe.jpg

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
aren't just two of his moves warioware based? i say this since the theme of warioware happens to be micro games and the only time wario plays any part is during brief cutscenes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Damn it's been two years since anyone commented here lol.
Sites like Discord have unfortunately overtaken the need for sub forums such as this one. I remember the character threads in the SSB4 days would be pretty active but now they'll be lucky to get a comment every several months or so. Which is a shame because I like forums like this more since they are better organized, especially when viewing older content.

Also somewhat Wario related but everyone here should play WarioWare: Get It Together if they haven't already. It's already one of my favorite WW games.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Sites like Discord have unfortunately overtaken the need for sub forums such as this one. I remember the character threads in the SSB4 days would be pretty active but now they'll be lucky to get a comment every several months or so. Which is a shame because I like forums like this more since they are better organized, especially when viewing older content.

Also somewhat Wario related but everyone here should play WarioWare: Get It Together if they haven't already. It's already one of my favorite WW games.
I never played WarioWare before, the only Wario games I've ever played were Wario Land 1 and 2.

I might one day buy WarioWare: Get It Together and see how it is, I've always wanted to play WarioWare but never got the chance.

Top Bottom