• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Perfect Specimen Of A Man Returns!- A Wario Return Thread

Waht is your favorite Wario

• Brawl Wario

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Smash 4 Wario

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • PM Wario

Votes: 41 37.6%
  • I want a new Wario

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I hate Wario

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
If Wario keeps his current moveset, I would totally be ok with that. However I do prefer his Brawl forward smash, that thing got me out of far too many pickles to not be noteworthy. Also, even the tiniest nod to the Land series would be great.

However, I would like them to do something with his bike. I personally believe that Sm4sh took his bike move in a much better direction, but I don't know, I feel that it still isn't perfect and needs work. (No, I don't want the tires as toss-able items back). Like if they decreased the despawn timer, re-allowed him to dismount from a wheelie, and as far as I know you can't quickly dismount the bike in Sm4sh without jumping.

Also, make his down throw that piledriver.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
But tires were so fun. :[

Tho I'd like a quick dismount option again...but mainly to set up tires.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I don't even play as Wario in Smash Brothers yet I'm always paying close attention to how he's portrayed. I'm more of a Warioware guy than a Wario Land guy so I'm fine with the moveset he has at the moment. I like how his specials all interact with each other. Like Wario healing off of eating his bike and how the bike can increase the waft's hotbox when you destroy the bike with the move. I want to see that interaction expanded upon and flow into each other some more.

As for more Wario Land representation. I don't mind if he does or if he doesn't but it would be cool if they did it.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
He's back!

Also THE SHOULDERBASH RETURNS!

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I like these changes. Looks like he got faster airspeed too.

ElDood

Smash Cadet
I'd like to say first, that I'm overjoyed we have the shoulder bash in game. I hope it's a reliable kill move because God knows Wario needs one.

That said, I'm going to miss denying the ledge to Falcon, Ness and Rosalina as well of a host of other characters coming up from the bottom with Wario's old dash attack.

Also, what's this new slap looking thing Wario has? Is that a Fair or an F-smash?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Also, what's this new slap looking thing Wario has? Is that a Fair or an F-smash?
Seems to be his new F-tilt. His F-air is still the foot kick.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
The Wario Bike has some animation to it now.
Looks nice and adds more character to a motorcycle.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Oh hey yeah, you're right.

Wario's got a loooot of animation flourishes and new stuff in general. Seems to have gotten plenty of love compared to most characters, and buffs too!

Now let's hope that extends to the music lol.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So glad to see the shoulder bash back and as his dash attack, too!Seems like it has decent knockback as well, so who knows? Maybe it‘s a kill move!

That F-tilt is also a little weird...seems to be some sort of swiping motion, like he‘s about to grab some money, catering to his greedy side.

One of the pics on the website suggests his f-smash from the last game is here to stay, though.

Kinda interested to see where his moveset is going....

ElDood

Smash Cadet
So I'm noticing some things about perfect shielding. Namely, that there's a very visible confirmation that it's been done, and the fact that if it give people enough of a frame advantage, especially coming out of shield, it may be enough of a visual cue to let Wario know that a free fart is possible. This may make attacking Wario risky if a Wario has waft and is good at perfect shielding.

Furthermore, if perfect shielding becomes super important to the meta, I can imagine most players would try to shield most incoming attacks, especially from the air, making a fighter's grab game a lot more important. But a fighter who can approach from the air and grab before landing with, say, a chomp could be meta shifting, especially if Wario is as seldom used in this game as in Smash 4. He might be able to hard counter certain characters, or force a huge change for most characters gameplans, especially in response to air approach.

Thoughts?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Saw someone point out that the golden buttons might be a slight redesign for an upcoming Wario Land (similar to how he's got Shake It music for a victory theme in Brawl), which has been rumored a few times now.

It does sound like a very Wario Land change so hmm.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
It‘s kinda funny how the trailer shows off every special move except his UpB

Do you believe he got a new, maybe more WarioLandish one? Return of the Cap-Powerups?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Rage being nerfed could be a bit problematic for Wario when considering how heavily he relied on it to get low-percentage waft kills in Smash 4, so I really hope they beefed up his alternative kill options.

I mostly miss his beefy uair from Brawl, though I'm hoping his dash attack will also be a proper kill option this time around to compensate for the loss of the guaranteed trip.

On a side note, Kirby can apparently eat projectiles and get healed from them now so I'm hoping this change passes to Wario, but with the bonus of gaining waft charge from it.

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
A neat detail, that I don't really see people bring up:

Wario's Down Throw animation has seen some changes that make it quite a lot closer to the Wario Land Ground Pound in appearence.

It's a small thing, but between this and the Charge being back it's just nice to see Smash embrace Wario Land a little more again, here's hoping that this isn't where it ends

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So this is just a question, but has Wario Man ever Appeared in Wario Land/Wario Ware? or is it a smash original.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
So this is just a question, but has Wario Man ever Appeared in Wario Land/Wario Ware? or is it a smash original.
Wario Man first appeared in WarioWare Twisted as the final character whose games you had to play to complete the story, then would reappear reprising this role in WarioWare Touched, then finally made a minor appearance in the WiiWare title WarioWare DIY Showcase. He's made some cameo appearances in Game & Wario and Rhythm Heaven Megamix as well.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Wario Man first appeared in WarioWare Twisted as the final character whose games you had to play to complete the story, then would reappear reprising this role in WarioWare Touched, then finally made a minor appearance in the WiiWare title WarioWare DIY Showcase. He's made some cameo appearances in Game & Wario and Rhythm Heaven Megamix as well.
Alrighty, thanks alot!

pilotJones

Smash Rookie
It's great to have shoulder bash back, but I'm kinda bummed its his dash attack. I loved the trip animation, it was unique - where many other character have already have moves similar to shoulder bash for their dash attack (samus, falcon)

Forward smash would make much more sense, imo. Smash 4 it's just a big ol' punch, nothing special about it about from his hand growing to a ridiculous size.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
This is a few days late, but... it appears that Wario has finally gotten full voice acting! Quite a leap for an extended Mario universe title, if I say so myself:

I know that it's really unlikely at this point, but it would be awesome if Wario had more lines in Ultimate, especially if they're in his taunts or victory animations.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I think it's possible for Wario to gain new voice lines since from what we've seen from Ultimate so far is that everyone is mute most of the time implying that they are still recording new lines for everyone. If they weren't going to use new lines and just reuse old ones then why would so many character be silent in gameplay?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think it's possible for Wario to gain new voice lines since from what we've seen from Ultimate so far is that everyone is mute most of the time implying that they are still recording new lines for everyone. If they weren't going to use new lines and just reuse old ones then why would so many character be silent in gameplay?
Thing is, assuming there's no delay, Ultimate is nearing release later this year. Will that really be enough time to record new lines?

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
To be honest I'm not sure and I'm only basing my theory off Marth and Ike's new voice actors being highlighted in the direct and the 20 second trailers for most characters have no voice lines. For example Captain Falcon doesn't even say any lines throughout his trailer. He doesn't even say "Falcon Punch."
Even Wario is mute in his trailer.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Thing is, assuming there's no delay, Ultimate is nearing release later this year. Will that really be enough time to record new lines?
I don't know why you think recording voice work takes more than 6 months. It doesn't even take time away from development since it's handled by separate teams (often outsourced).

Of course even with the later development time being related to bugs and getting it ready to go golden placeholders can be used for the interim.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'd love for Wario to get new voice clips but judging by Mario reusing his Brawl ones again, I'm not holding out for that.

At least Wario's Brawl voice clips are good, unlike Mario.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the voices missing might just be because they don't want to go through the localization nightmare of having separate videos for every language. Chances are most characters will still reuse their Brawl voices.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Did Mona always have a crush on Wario? I thought she called Wario a greedy punk in the first game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
There's always been teases about it, but this is the first explicit instance of it, I think.

Though I guess it's always been more of an admiration for him than a crush.

Shmebulock

Smash Cadet

What do you think of the knockback on Wario's dash attack? Sends Villager further than the subsequent hits but unsure how far Shovel Knight is supposed to send you.

Back air seems faster too, no?

Top Bottom