• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pac-Man Support Thread (Wakka wakka wakka)

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Cashed said:
Please put more thought into your replies instead of saying what has been said by others.
Well there's not really much else to say... If he used his arms and legs he would be boring because there is nothing to make him unique. He would kind of be like kirby= small round thing with little arms and legs that eats things. Besides at least kirby can copy other people's moves all pac-man does is...well...eat.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh yeah, Pac Man wouldn't be able to eat people. Because when he does, they come out as eyes and go back to where they came from and then return to normal. What would he do in SSBB, swallow people whole and spit them out?

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love the accurate to game moveset they gave Captain Falcon, don't you Yuna? No wait, his moves have nothing to do with his in game antics. Nice.

Also, I like how long Pichu's arms are.

Look, physical reasons why someone can't fight are null and void because look at the crazy stuff they've done already. Game and Watch?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna said:
That's like having Lakitu as a character. What would he do, fly around and throw different kinds of spinys on you? All Pac Man would do is go "Wakka wakka wakka wakka", opening and closing his mouth even when walking and eat people. That's all he'd be able to do.

Ouh, I know, Sandbag for a new character! He could run around and jump on people's heads. How 'bout one of the Pokémon trainers? They'd run around and do nothing but throw Pokéballs at you.
Have you been reading this thread? People have been talking about possible moves the entire time.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I agree that if any third party character had the chance to make it to Brawl, it would be Pac Man. Except for one thing. He stinks as a character. He runs away from ghosts until he eats something that makes him eat the ghosts. Lame. This isn't about what his attacks could be. He is a bad character.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
I think the SSBB crew will redesign Pacman to fit into the theme of the game. In fact, since my intelligence/creativity matches/exceeds the designers of the video game industry, it is safe to say that this will be Pacman in SSBB:

Yep.

ADD: I would also like to point out (for those of you who might not know) that Pac-man's damage % is divided by zero, which means all damage done to him is reduced to 0% and he is constantly healing himself.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
commonyoshi said:
I agree that if any third party character had the chance to make it to Brawl, it would be Pac Man. Except for one thing. He stinks as a character. He runs away from ghosts until he eats something that makes him eat the ghosts. Lame. This isn't about what his attacks could be. He is a bad character.
But he DOESN'T just do that. Read the gosh darn thread, we have been drawing from Pac-in-Time, Pac man adventures, Pac man 2, Normal Pac man and any other Pac man game you could think of. Why does it look like you saw the topic title, clicked "Last Page" and read the last few posts before giving your opinions? Why do I have to say this over and over again?

Oh and Nomis: LOL!

nomis

Smash Journeyman
After thinking about it for a while, if SSBB didn't have Pac-man as a PC, he can just be an item. You can throw him at a character and he would eat them, sending them back to the respawn area (but not killing them).

Another would be if you would eat a large white pellet, and turn into Pac-man with the ability to eat opponents. Kinda like the hammer except you would be able to float around anywhere on the screen.

The Other Wind

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, pac man would be great. He could have a mixture of rolling, bouncing, and some generic punches/kicks and be fine. But I want to get crazy with that whopping mouth of his. Maybe an attack where you can roll into your opponent, and like a barrel, scoop them up into your mouth and then roll off the stage, killing you both in the process or maybe just them. Or perhaps in teams pac-man could take an severly damaged teammate into his mouth and continue fighting for a brief period. I think that would be cool.

And, Nomis, funny picture and sig.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
My god, Yuna. Shut up. You're just as bad as the n00bs saying "He couldn't do anything because he's so limited", except with simpler words and more grunts. He was given arms and legs which are plenty long enough for Smash. Look at Kirby. He has no arms, and no legs. Just hands and feet. Besides, Pac Man has plenty (sort of) of other things to use from other games. Nobody in their right mind would put the classical Pac Man into Smash, and the rest of us have clued into that.

Sorry though, I mean no offence, but your ignorant/sarcastic posts were getting very annoying.

On a side note, his Super could be a classic Pac Man stage appearing, then he'd go classical, the enemies would turn into ghosts, and he'd eat them. ;)

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
nomis said:
ADD: I would also like to point out (for those of you who might not know) that Pac-man's damage % is divided by zero, which means all damage done to him is reduced to 0% and he is constantly healing himself.
No, that would be if his damage were multiplied by zero. Dividing by zero results in infinity (or is an invalid operation, depending on the context.)

More importantly, have you all seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWL6j0SvqV0

sn][p3r

Smash Cadet
I really don't see how pac-man cannot be in the game. Mr. Game & Watch was transfered perfectly.

Smash Lord
I don't know why there's a thread about this?

It's not only about the moves but that Pacman is a very monotone character.

Samus is an inter-galactic bounty hunter, Falcon is a race car driver, Link is the Hero of Time, Mario is a plumber.

What does Pacman do? He runs in a maze...ooooooooo good **** Pacman!

Pacman has nothing special about him. Compare the many fans of Mario to the many Fans of Pacman.

Both extremely successful, both extremely addictive games. But why has Mario been in SSB and Melee? Because he has personality. Why does he have a movie created after him? Because he's interesting. Say what you will, Pacman may have been a good game in the past but his character is too underdeveloped to make people want to play him.

Take your pick between a Ghost eating circle or a sword fighting fairy boy with pointy ears. I'll pick the elf any day.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It's not that Pacman is robust by himself. It's that he's one of the most iconic characters in all of history.

I think it would be pretty cool.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
8000 said:
It's not only about the moves but that Pacman is a very monotone character.

Samus is an inter-galactic bounty hunter, Falcon is a race car driver, Link is the Hero of Time, Mario is a plumber.

What does Pacman do? He runs in a maze...ooooooooo good **** Pacman!

Pacman has nothing special about him. Compare the many fans of Mario to the many Fans of Pacman.

Both extremely successful, both extremely addictive games. But why has Mario been in SSB and Melee? Because he has personality. Why does he have a movie created after him? Because he's interesting. Say what you will, Pacman may have been a good game in the past but his character is too underdeveloped to make people want to play him.

Take your pick between a Ghost eating circle or a sword fighting fairy boy with pointy ears. I'll pick the elf any day.
Actually, I think Mario has been in the game because he's Nintendo's most popular character. He's basically Ryu, he has to be in the game. I think that if Nintendo had created Pac-man back in the 1980s, and his character had developed in the exact same way as it has since then, Pac-man would have been at least a secret character in the First SSB. He's just an important character.

Pacman has plenty special about him, however. He has tons of personality when you play Pac-man 2: The new adventures. He even has full range of emotion that changes as he eats or if you hit him with your slingshot too much. His adventures feature a dynamic cast of characters (The ghosts, his wife, his two children, the Ghost Witch) and has a fully interactive world. The game isn't very good,(Although I have many fond memories about it) but it is technically quite impressive, and Pac-man come off looking pretty good with arms and legs.

Edit:
Also, if you look at the original japanese cabinet art, pacman always had arms and legs.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
dotdotdot! said:
Actually, I think Mario has been in the game because he's Nintendo's most popular character. He's basically Ryu, he has to be in the game. I think that if Nintendo had created Pac-man back in the 1980s, and his character had developed in the exact same way as it has since then, Pac-man would have been at least a secret character in the First SSB. He's just an important character.

Pacman has plenty special about him, however. He has tons of personality when you play Pac-man 2: The new adventures. He even has full range of emotion that changes as he eats or if you hit him with your slingshot too much. His adventures feature a dynamic cast of characters (The ghosts, his wife, his two children, the Ghost Witch) and has a fully interactive world. The game isn't very good, but it is technically quite impressive, and Pac-man come off looking pretty good with arms and legs.
Ah yes...I remember repeatedly shooting him the entire time.

Impp

Smash Ace
Yeah, I can see Pacman in his character. It'd be more an honarary thing. He'd be low tier.
He'd be like some aincient warrior that commands respect, and can hold his own, yet is well past his prime. Entering SSBB will be the last thing he does before fading into obscurity.
That might be too deep.

In my opinion Pacman is not worth the effort for the game makers. I don't see how Pacman being in it would be a huge draw nor create a reaction as some character with more popularity.
Then again, if I was somewhat unfamiliar with Smash Bros. and I saw Mario, Link, Pikachu AND Pacman AND Sonic AND Cloud, I'd be like "woah, I gotta check that game out."

Any way, I like the idea of getting characters from other companies in. It just seems to break down boundaries.

Impp

Smash Ace
Grimie said:
Why are you talking about game concepts like Tiers on an unreleased unfinished game?
shh, settle, I'm not the enemy.

And my reason was cuz I felt like it.

That tier thing I mentioned was in regards to Pac-man being past his prime. It was meant to stir up feelings of empathy for poor Pac-Man. It wasn't meant to suggest anything of in game mechanics. I apologize for any possible implication of that.

I feel so pried into.

Also the picture at the top of the page was really awesome.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Dos2 said:
Waka Waka Waka Waka Waka Waka Waka Waka Waka
Yeah Waka Waka Waka thats the way pacman would eat the CRAP OUT OF YOUR PANTS!!!
Well maybe Pac-Man is not a bad idea after all...

jpwalker123

Smash Apprentice
They could add Pac-man at the end of the game just like they did for Mr.Game and Watch in Melee. Pac-man would be a joke ofcourse just like how Mr.Game and Watch was or atleast thats how i saw him. Pac-man wouldnt fit in any other way i think.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
jpwalker123 said:
They could add Pac-man at the end of the game just like they did for Mr.Game and Watch in Melee. Pac-man would be a joke ofcourse just like how Mr.Game and Watch was or atleast thats how i saw him. Pac-man wouldnt fit in any other way i think.
You obviously have not read any of my posts. I have given many situations as how Pac-man would be in the game as a normal fighter, just like Pikachu, Mario, etc.

I shall enlighten you with a repost of my art!

As you can see, Pac-man will be so large and awesome, that he will not need a background and other misc./useless garbage, like graphics.

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
MookieRah said:
Why not? Give us a good reason.
My bad to go off topic but this just has to be said...

MookieRah, you pic of Mewtwo = GAWD and represents that idea the Mewtwo is just TOO RAW to NOT be in Brawl!

Mewtwo FTW!

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
Noypi_GjD said:
I don't know about this one, I never really was interested in the 3D Pacman games. Pacman like represents Namco's ol school days and would be good for the gaming nostalgia, but I personally do not like his 3D incarnation.
Who said he had to be 3D?

Just look at Mr. G&W :psycho:

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman
jpwalker123 said:
Mr. G&W is a very unique character and that's what is needed more of in Smash.

Mr. G&W vs Pacman FTW!

(1st triple post but it wasn't inteded because I didn't know how to put all quotes into one reply :( So don't le banzorz le mezorz :cry: )

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
It looks like a few of you haven't been reading any of the posts in this thread. If Pac-Man is in the game, I doubt that he'll be 2D. He was in his Pac-Man World look in the Mario arcade game.

http://cubemedia.gamespy.com/cube/image/article/648/648564/pac-man-world-3-20050907103212177.jpg
http://www.armchairempire.com/image...rio-kart-arcade-gp/mario-kart-arcade-gp-1.jpg

And like Cyphus said in the first page, Pac Man has many abilities from the Pac Man World games, and a few of those attacks could work for SSBB. I don't see why Pac Man can't be in Brawl.

Ms. Pac-Master

Smash Journeyman
o_O;

Wow, Hiemie/Mr. Game N' Watch... thank you SO much for this thread. I was starting to suspect that nobody cared about the yellow fatty.

My god... there's so much spam here. Some of you people need to grow up and stop whining. To all you naysayers going "Pac-Man can't fight! He's got no arms/moves etc etc whine whine..." should take a look at this Pac-Man World 3 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jma7kq35SG4&search=Pac-Man World 3 . If you've bothered to watch the whole thing, you can see:

1. He's a 3-D character, not just a pizza pie anymore.
2. He can talk (it doesn't show it in the movie, but I own Pac-Man World 3 (and love it) and his voice was done by a VA who was on Prince of Persia or something).
3. He's got a rolling attack. It's called the "Rev Roll". He runs in place when you hold the button down (also making a revving car engine noise) and curls up in a ball and goes flying when you release the button. Yeah, it's like Sonic's dash move, but who cares? It's Pac-Man!
4. He can do a "Butt-Bounce" (I hate that name). It's just like Yoshi's Ground Pound and it could be incoperated into SSBB as a nice Down-B move.
5. He can walljump. If SSBB brings back Walljumping, Pac-Man should be able to.

And yeah, Pac-Man can do melee combat. He can punch now, and in Pac-Man World 2, he was given a Flip Kick aerial move to smash crates suspended in the air.

I imagine his moveset to look like this in SSBB:

B - Slingshot/Dot Charge: He could hold a Pac-Dot in a slingshot/his hand that powers up and grows bigger if you hold the B button down. Release to fire.

Forward B - Rev Roll: Works like Pika/Pichu's Skull Bash or Luigi's Green Missile. I can't be bothered to re-explain the mechanics of this again. Pac-Man should make a cool revving noise while he charges up though.

Down B - Butt-Bounce: Works like Yoshi's Ground Pound. It should send out little shockwaves (like the Super Stomp Pellet power up in Pac-Man World 3) upon hitting the ground.

Up B - I... have no idea. There has been power ups in previous Pac-Man games which allowed him to fly (Feather cap, anyone?) but I have too many ideas for this move slot. Up B moves are the hardes to come up with.

For his A moves, they should consist of punches and kicks. When Pac-Man uses his grab move, he'll grip the enemy. Hitting A will make Pac-Man bite the foe (maybe using some old 80's sound effects) and his Forward/Backwoard/Up throws can make Pac-Man eat the enemy whole and spit them out in the desired direction. His down throw will pin the enemy down and have Pac-Man totally body slam the guy. I thought his obesity should come into use. :p

And goddammit people. You need to open your eyes. Pac-Man is one of the single greatest video game characters of all time and you people treat him like garbage. I was shocked to find him on people's "Worst Characters" lists, what is wrong with you guys? Let me show you some finer points of this yella fella:

1. Pac-Man had the *FIRST* platformer game. Don't give me this BS about how SMB was the first. A game called "Pac-Land" was out in arcades in 1984, so it predated Super Mario Bros. by one year. Take that, plumber. ;)

2. Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man are the two most profitable arcade games of all time.

3. The whole Pac-Man fad craze starting in 1980 was the longest running fad ever before Pokemon.

4. Pac-Man got his own Saturday Morning cartoon. http://www.youtube.com/results?search=pacman+cartoon&search_type=search_videos

5. Pac-Man has his own religion. http://www.flamingmayo.com/firstchurchofpacman/ :laugh:

Pac-Man and Mr. Game & Watch should definatley be on the same game. They're my first and second favourite VG characters. :)

Also, just a tip for you people. It's spelled "Pac-Man". Not "Pacman", "PacMan", "Pac Man", "packman" or anything else. USE THE HYPHON/CAPITALS FER CHRISSAKES.

Alright, I'm done with my post now. At least I can take consolation in the fact that the SWF vetrans in this thread support Pac-Man's good name, and it's just the newbies who are complaining. And thank you again Hiemie for the thread, you brough me out of 2 years of inactivity with this topic.

fluffy

Smash Champion
...i dont think pacman would get in brawl cuz all the other characters had moves from previous games.

pacman just moved around eating ppl.

Ms. Pac-Master

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for missing half my post. :)

With his new 3-D platformer games, he's got all the good moves of Mario and Sonic put together. There IS elements of the old style "must eat everything" type of Pac-Man (the power ups, the maze minigames, fruit scattered all through the level) but he doesn't use his gaping jaw and bottomless stomach as a primary attack. And Pac-Man World 1 - 3 don't suck, they've gotten around 6.0 - 8.0 scores on gaming sites such as GameSpot and IGN. I thought World 2 and 3 were actually better than Mario's waterlogged attempt at platforming.

fluffy

Smash Champion
ooh u mustve spent alot of time in that post.

...but pacman really cant do stuff but eat ghosts now can he? sure he can get power ups to let him eat more ghosts, but whats the deal w/ that?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
fluffy said:
...i dont think pacman would get in brawl cuz all the other characters had moves from previous games.

pacman just moved around eating ppl.
Look exactly one post above yours. You fail

Edit:

fluffy said:
ooh u mustve spent alot of time in that post.

...but pacman really cant do stuff but eat ghosts now can he? sure he can get power ups to let him eat more ghosts, but whats the deal w/ that?
You should stop posting before you hurt yourself.

fluffy

Smash Champion
nah, im too busy to read that much stuff. plus, seriously.

this is pac-man were talking about.

this as a character? at least G&W has arms and legs.

Ms. Pac-Master

Smash Journeyman
*smacks forehead*

If you read the first post, Hiemie is refferring to the modern 3-D Pac-Man.

Doesn't he look cuuuuuuuuuuute? ^_^

Top Bottom