• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Midna for Brawl thread. (Debate the Wolf here!)

Midna In Brawl?

• Only Midna in Brawl!

Votes: 277 30.8%
  • Midna and Wolflink in Brawl!

Votes: 398 44.3%
  • I don't want Midna in there, period!

Votes: 89 9.9%
  • Just give me Wolflink sans Midna!

Votes: 30 3.3%
  • I really couldn't care less.

Votes: 105 11.7%

• Total voters
No, it doesn't. Why is this the first character to do that? Was Zelda the main character of LoZ? No, she wasn't. She was THE focus of the plot - Link's sole purpose was to rescue her - but she was not the main character.

...Um, am I being "insulted" by someone who thinks knowing a basic word such as mongoloid is something bad?

Right. You whine about Smash Brothers, and the best you've probably ever done is graduate from the 9th grade.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
No, it doesn't. Why is this the first character to do that? Was Zelda the main character of LoZ? No, she wasn't. She was THE focus of the plot - Link's sole purpose was to rescue her - but she was not the main character.
The plot was to SAVE zelda. The plot is Link going to save Zelda, thats all

The plot of TP starts with Midna saving Link after monsters attack and her gets transformed, Midna is searching for the Fused Shadows to defeat Zant and save the Twilight Realm, once they have been obtained, Link is stuck as a wolf, while Midna is dying, Link has to save Midna by going to Zelda, Midna is so important to the quest Zelda takes her life for Midna, healing her and letting her out of the Twilight zone.
They then get Links master sword so they can get link back to normal so he can travel to the Gerudo Desert and conquer the Arbiter's Grounds, all so Midna can enter the Twili. Where they then search for the shards so Minda can enter there and claim her throne and defeat Zant turning the world back.Midna uses the Fused Shadows, to kill Zant (though he returns to life afterwards as Zant is just a vessel for ganons power).
Midna breaks the seemingly-impenetrable magical barrier into Hyrule. Midna purges Zelda of Ganondorf's spirit after defeating Zelda with Link. Midna gets Zelda and Link to safty while she tries to destroy him with the fused shadows, but in the end seemingly appers to be dead, giving her life for Link and Zelda, who go on to defeat Ganondorf, (which also kills Zant), which revives Midna in her true form.
Midna destory the last connection with the twili and light worlds, so that the light world will stay protected forever

Now, see how much more importnat Midna is compared to Zelda?

The plot surrounds Zelda being captured by Ganon, and Link being entrusted by Impa to rescue her.

That is the plot.

The plot of TP is "Link has to rescue Midna".

And I haven't been trying throughout this thread. Makes you seem pretty pathetic, eh?

The plot surrounds Zelda being captured by Ganon, and Link being entrusted by Impa to rescue her.

That is the plot.

And I haven't been trying throughout this thread. Makes you seem pretty pathetic, eh?

Luthien

Smash Ace
The fact that every single material that exists for TP basically suggests Link > Midna.

You play as Link.
The perspective is from Link, never Midna.

Being the focus of the story has mattered never in Zelda history. Link has rarely been the focus of the story in the series, but he's still the main character. The focus of Zelda and Zelda II is not Link, LttP is not Link, MM is not Link (not primarily).

Honestly, without any word from Nintendo on who is the main character, why should we assume that Link is only now not the main character?
No. Link is the main character, and is also the focus of the story. Does he have to be? No. Is he anyway? Yes. (I'm agreeing with you, A Link to the Snitch).

You see, the plot does indeed revolve around Link. There is not one incident in the plot which does not include Link in Twilight Princess; however, there are several incidents without Midna. Let's take a look:

Game begins. Link is talking to what's his name, goes to bed, wakes up the next morning. Link does his chores, then goes to the mayor. He is then given the task of delivering the Ordon Sword to Hyrule Castle.
Conflict: Delivery of sword Midna has nothing to do with this.

To build on my point, (or A Link to the Snitch's), let's continue:
Link takes Epona from Ilia. Ilia/Colin get kidnapped.
New conflict: Save Ilia and Colin Midna has nothing to do with THIS (thus far; that point is important later).

Blahblahblah, next thing we know, Midna needs Link's help to get rid of the Twilight Curtain.

AND LINK'S TO-DO LIST GROWS.

Basically, Midna's roll of the story is nothing more than GIVING LINK MORE STUFF TO DO. This is what makes her a supporting character. Although she assists him with some things, it is always Link who resolves the issue, and that is what seperates the two.

LINK HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE FOCUS OF THE STORY, BECAUSE THE STORY REVOLVES AROUND HIM. NEVER IN A ZELDA GAME DO YOU PLAY AS ZELDA. We see what happens to LINK in all the Zelda games, never all of what happens to Zelda. If you were to treat it like history, I suppose you could say Zelda/Midna/Ganondorf were the main characters, but from the VIDEO GAME'S POINT OF VIEW (which is the only one that matters, because it's the only one WE HAVE), Link is the main character.

Needless to say, I still want Midna in Brawl. :)

PDawgy

Smash Journeyman

That is the plot.

WHAT?!?!? you weren't trying and that makes me look pathetic :\ at least I'm not debating over some game for like two weeks

I like how you side with people who have been debating for a long while and mock the person who debated it for the same amount of time.

It's pretty pathetic that when I'm not trying, you all pretty much fold in a debate.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
Ok, ill start with a A Link to the Snitch. His main story plot was to save the children, and then save the World from the twili NONE were possible without Midna, saving Zelda wasnt part of the plot, he only met zelda cos MIDNA told him to go there, so she could help them both.
But while reading, maybe your refering normal zelda by your first point, ok, your right there. But the plot of TP is not "Link has to rescue Midna" (guessing you have never played TP). As is said, its saving the children, then saving the world (Midna infact saves Link), However, Midna story plot was to save the twili realm, then save the light realm, Zelda and Link. They both needed each other to complete there own quests, both as importnat as the other.
Even those that do class Midna as a "supporting character" she does far more than a normal one and should be included in brawl.

Now Luthien, you have listed the parts before Link meets Midna, however, if you watch the story plot, Midna says what happens to her before she met link. Midna had Zant and Ganondorf curse and remove her power, she already knew Zelda and has done so much before meeting Link. Link is really only doing basic learning of controls (so you can paly the game) and setting up the story plot (then being attacked so he can go in the twili and meet Midna) for the start of the game, while midna has already done everything that involves the story plot. Link is only important because he was so pure, he turned into a wolf instead of a ghost in the twili, Midna relises that he can help her as he is a phyical being who is the only person in the twili who wants to return it to normal, Link is at the start being used for Midnas needs.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
While im still here...

The supporting character (or side kick) tend to be meet then main character, and follow there plot (normaly by saving them) either by wanted the same thing or getting to a certain point. However, in TP, Link and Midna meet each other, Midna saves Link, and Link follows Midnas quest as she says it will save his world too (which he wants)

So, compared to normal story plots, Link is just the sidekick.

Midna is the focus of the story, who cares? We've had many focuses in the story, and for some reason, Midna's the first focus of the story to be the main character of a Zelda game?

And did you just say "his the kid"? Is that a statement?

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
Midna is the focus of the story, who cares? We've had many focuses in the story, and for some reason, Midna's the first focus of the story to be the main character of a Zelda game?

And did you just say "his the kid"? Is that a statement?
You have just said Midna is a focus of the story. I will make sure I remeber that

Shes the focus, she is leading you everywhere all game, she is always (except at the start) with you, she is fighting by your side. That makes her the main character, and no other Zelda character (apart from Link) has ever been that important for the whole length of the game, she does more than anyother character (except link) than in any other zelda game

HipsterKid

Smash Ace

That is the plot.

Alright, the fact that you said, "The plot surrounds Zelda.." only helps the reason why Midna can be in Brawl. You could simply reword that sentence, for TP, to say "The Plot surrounds Hyrule being captured by Ganon/Zant and Link/Midna being entrusted by Zelda to rescue it."

The reason I bring that up is that, in almost every LoZ, Zelda part of the focus of the plot. And she got into Brawl. Sure, you may say "Well Zelda is an important female figure who helped Link destroy Ganon and gave him information on how to save the day." Midna did the same thing. The only thing Zelda has that Midna doesn't is re-occurance. And even then, Midna has the possibility (even though small) of returning. You can't argue that Zelda wasn't as important as Midna in TP. And Zelda can still get in. Who says that Midna can't?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Huummm, so now everyones debating how important Midna was in TP?

Oh crap! Forgot to blue!!! O_0

Zelda is the second most important character in the series' history - she probably got in for those reasons more than anything else.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Zelda is the second most important character in the series' history - she probably got in for those reasons more than anything else.
Now, I'm going to go ahead and figure you're stating that as fact, because of what you define as fact. I'll try finding that quote if you need me to and if you never even stated that, I'm sorry for putting words in your mouth.

However, in my opinion, I think Ganondorf is the second most important character to the series' history. It's debatable, however don't think I'm about to debate about it, especially since this isn't the place to do it. But, the reason I say that, is because without Ganon, there would be no point in Link saving Zelda, Link's world would be perfect, and in some cases, Link would never have met Zelda. Ganon causes trouble and Link has to react to it, saving Zelda on the way.

But I'll save that for another time in another place and leave it as it was.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
The same would ring true for the Mario/Peach/Bowser situation, but Peach is more important, if only slightly so, than Bowser.
Hehe. The funny thing about that is, I was going to extend on to the post I just made and make the same comparison that you did. Then I figured it wasn't needed so I took it out. How funny.

But yes, you're right. Unless, over the years Bowser has just developed a hate for Mario and would attack him nonetheless. But how likely is that really?

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
why do you even bother? no matter what you say, A Link the the Snitch is still going to cling to his opinion for dear life. He's been humiliated enough on this thread, let him have his precious point-of-view, its not like anyone here is about to change it.
"I incline to Cain's heresy, I let my brother go to the Devil in his own way."
Robert Lewis Stevenson, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Chaos, see, it's a really bad thing when people try to humiliate others by "teasing" them for posting reality and truth.

See, the arguments provided are actually desperate attempts at discrediting the list, all of which have failed, trying to find any hole they can squeeze through just so that they can prevent Midna's chances from dropping.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Chaos, see, it's a really bad thing when people try to humiliate others by "teasing" them for posting reality and truth.

See, the arguments provided are actually desperate attempts at discrediting the list, all of which have failed, trying to find any hole they can squeeze through just so that they can prevent Midna's chances from dropping.
Alright, you've gotten your point across and I'm pretty sure everyone's noticed it. There is no reason for arguments to keep popping up because we should all be done. No one's opinion has changed and we shall keep it that way. Besides, Brawl is a less than a month away. We should be speculating other possible things in Brawl, rather than continue on with a pointless Midna debate that probably doesn't matter anyway. If she's in, she's in. If she's not, then oh well. We will all still play the game anyway.

So, on that note, A Link to the Snitch, can we end this pointless debate? I'm pretty sure the Midna supporters are in favor of it.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman

A Link to the Snitch, , it's a really bad thing when people try to say arguement attempts have desperate failed, when they have proved you points wrong so much, and yet you try and use the same reason which fail so bad

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
Then how important is she? She IS the main character other than Link.
Meh. She is not important, she is annoying and sucks at everything. Except using a big hand thing. I LOVE Twilight Princess! One of the best games ever to exist... the only bad part is Midna. :chuckle:

Oh, and the fact that you can turn into a wolf. I simply hated the parts where you had to use the wolf, I was always like, Augh! When will this end?!

So yeah, I really hope Midna/Wolf Link are not in Brawl. They would be terrible characters, since they already are. Even though the game they appear in is one of the best.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
They were great characters, and so important I dont know how you can love TP but hate Midna and Wolf Link.

They are and will be great characters with great possible movesets.

Yes, in your hypothetical situation that Midna fans were capable of coming up with retorts that even resemble a worthwhile response, it would look bad.

The fact that you are only proclaiming victory because you have more people with incorrect information looks pretty bad.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Meh. She is not important, she is annoying and sucks at everything. Except using a big hand thing. I LOVE Twilight Princess! One of the best games ever to exist... the only bad part is Midna. :chuckle:

Oh, and the fact that you can turn into a wolf. I simply hated the parts where you had to use the wolf, I was always like, Augh! When will this end?!

So yeah, I really hope Midna/Wolf Link are not in Brawl. They would be terrible characters, since they already are. Even though the game they appear in is one of the best.
Go back under your bridge, you troll.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
Yes, in your hypothetical situation that Midna fans were capable of coming up with retorts that even resemble a worthwhile response, it would look bad.

The fact that you are only proclaiming victory because you have more people with incorrect information looks pretty bad.
wow, to bad for you we have far more correct data that has you beat, now, stop being a troll and go find something better to do

Mad555

Smash Ace
In Smithy's Factory Mains: Fox, Sheik Brawl Mains:

Thats pure opinion, Me, i think Midna was a great character. I think they would be awsome

Really? How is "Midna is the main character" correct information? Why am I constantly seeing people altering their points? It used to be "Link is not the main character, Midna is". And it gradually changed into "why can't they both be the main characters? They're both important". If you had more correct information, it wouldn't be changing constantly.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
Really? How is "Midna is the main character" correct information? Why am I constantly seeing people altering their points? It used to be "Link is not the main character, Midna is". And it gradually changed into "why can't they both be the main characters? They're both important". If you had more correct information, it wouldn't be changing constantly.
and if you had correct information you would always be saying were wrong with no reason

You didn't answer my question. You have the correct info, right? So why does everyone keep flipflopping around? If everyone was correct, everyone would argue the same way. Why did you guys originally argue she was the main character, and then argue she's "important too".

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
You didn't answer my question. You have the correct info, right? So why does everyone keep flipflopping around? If everyone was correct, everyone would argue the same way. Why did you guys originally argue she was the main character, and then argue she's "important too".
well, your stubborn and wont admit it, so while our point stand, we add another point so that you can still be stubborn and we can still be right. Understand?

How is that another point?

Her being a main character already covers "still being important". When you say she's "still important anyway", that's a safety net.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
How is that another point?

Her being a main character already covers "still being important". When you say she's "still important anyway", that's a safety net.
Well, you saying only mains will get in Brawl, except for the multi games characters (Ganondorf and Zelda), and you say Midna is neither. Even if she was neither (and imo, she is main) there has been no other character in the Zelda series bar the main 3 that has been even close to how important Midna is too TP, the amount of plot defind to her character, her importance to the game, her large popularity and vast possible movesets make her easily one of the best options from brawl, especially as she is one of the only 2 possible options for another Zelda rep (cel shaded link being the other(Shiek doesnt count and im counting Ganondorf as comfirmed))

Top Bottom