• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
on Wifi spammy wolves are at least 10x harder than real life matches imo.
Fought one Spammy wof IN tourney 2 stocked him twice.
Same guy on wifi (by force) i lost by a stock almost eevery time.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Wifi is a different game, but experience is experience. But I agree, campers on wifi are worse than offline ones.

Anyways, back to the matchup. Anything that olimar does involving spinning ***** wolf in terms of priority. Its ridiculous. Grab wolf out of a missed fsmash if you get the chance, its an easy opportunity to punish a punishing move. Reflector works well for wolf in this match because it can reflect pikmin and I think it can also stop ranged pikmin related smashes (such as usmash) most of the time, even though it won't hit olimar. And then there's the blaster, which everyone knows about. Oh, and yellow pikmin are your friends, they absorb laser and reflector iirc.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Olimar actually has almost no priority at all. That's why blaster owns him

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I think this matchup os more on favor of the person who can make smart guesses of what the person is going to do next.
I mained wolf for about a month and I wasn't bad with him at all. So now it's like whenever i get into a situation (except fo wifi) where I have to fight a Wolf. I can alot of times sit there and say ok if such and such happened to me as Wolf, what would I do. It usually works. I guess this is more of figuring out what your opponent's tendencies are. Because for both characters alot of players do alot of the same moves, and react the EXACT same way every time they are put in a certain situation.

i'd call thes Neutral 50 - 50.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've beaten the Wolfs I've played at tourneys pretty handily so far, so they probably didn't know the matchup well enough for me to comment on this matchup.

Typo:

Week #8: Zero Suit Samus(pg18-20)
This is what I have up. I'm confused. :confused: Thanks for showing me.

Edit: nvm. I corrected it.

Everyone- Are you guys ok with the format and the info? No-one ever comments about those two things, so I'm not sure. I'm totally open to suggestions and comments. Feel free to ask.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Everyone- Are you guys ok with the format and the info? No-one ever comments about those two things, so I'm not sure. I'm totally open to suggestions and comments. Feel free to ask.
I think the format and info are quite good. I give this my stamp of approval. Keep up the good work. I've been looking at a lot of matchup threads lately and this is probably one of the most polished. It hits the high points of what to look for in a match up.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
No, no no. Good wolves can't be beaten by Olimar.

And wifi will -not- help you get better in the actual game.

Practicing wifi will get you better at wifi.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
No, no no. Good wolves can't be beaten by Olimar.
Good Wolves get thrashed by Good Snakes.

Which is exactly why I put such an emphasis on his Utilt and Nair, take advantage of the priority you do have.
You may as well U-Smash in the position of U-Tilt.
N-Air is only good when the opponent is directly above you
Olimar's Worm isn't bad either...

Puddin

Smash Lord
Good Wolves get thrashed by Good Snakes.

You may as well U-Smash in the position of U-Tilt.
N-Air is only good when the opponent is directly above you
Olimar's Worm isn't bad either...
Utilt is for his Fsmash which is quick, and out prioritizes all of Olimars ground attacks. Dtilt can't even get you under the Lazors =\

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Good wolfs do well against good snakes, olimar's utilt and nair do not out prioritise wolf's air game. Wifi improves mindgames and combo/follow ups. Back to olimar though, I would give advantage to a grab happy wolf who can approach properly except perhaps on a very large stage like FD where olimar can constantly run pivot grab, if oli is committed to keeping his distance by running and pivotting wolf is force to camp and its a matter of who can get the first ko in mostly. (50/50 in that situation)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Grabbing Olimar (the biggest Grabwhore in the game...) sounds kind of absurd to me but I still wonder, why nobody gives any comment about the Blaster issue. Just tell me what Olimar can do against it? OK he can Shield it or airdodge it but that won't help him defeat Wolf. He can do a full jump over it but Wolf can just run to the other side of the stage :p

None of Olimars attack beat the blaster though...

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Defeating the blster to me is simple. Either take Wolf to a a sage with platfrom and approach from above.
OR
Throw yellow Pikmin. Either the pikmin get latched and stop blaster fire, or walk back to us and tank the blaster.

Irt's notreally all that hard. We have whistle and if we know the the prder stappipng blaster is as easy as Bown B + Over B.

Snail

Smash Lord
Defeating the blster to me is simple. Either take Wolf to a a sage with platfrom and approach from above.
OR
Throw yellow Pikmin. Either the pikmin get latched and stop blaster fire, or walk back to us and tank the blaster.

Irt's notreally all that hard. We have whistle and if we know the the prder stappipng blaster is as easy as Bown B + Over B.
Latched yellows get shaken off by the bayonet, you can't absorb his lasers that way. Platform stages work against laser spam tough.

DownBing blasters doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Lots of damage while you could just dodge instead...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's only one stage where laser spam is a problem, and that's FD. There's 4-5 neutral stages. (lylat is debatable) Lylat also happens to be Wolf's worst stage, am I correct? I think I read somewhere that it gimps his recovery awfully well. You have the same chance of having FD randomly picked as you do Lylat. The weaknesses cancel each other out.

There's a couple ways of getting past laser spam. Powershield walking and then SHfairing, there's full jumping above it too. Once you jump above Wolf, he could run away, but it's not going to get him far. That's like depending on your opponent to full jump over Falco's(you) laser spam and then running away-without phantasm. Unless you're fighting Ganondorf, that strategy doesn't work.

It takes too much time to set up against fast characters like Olimar.

asob4

Smash Champion
also, as we get close and as wolf runs away, we will chuck pikmin and get some latch damage on you

oli's reverse grab is better :p

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, I need to address some points and ask some questions.

-Wolf outcamps Olimar
-Olimar can approach safely
-bair wall can be WACed to be able to approach.
-dthrow>fair>grab>dthrow is a true combo am I right?

Do you edgeguard wolf? If so, how? I'm not exactly sure.
How do you deal with shine?
What are wolf's most reliable kill moves in this fight? Dsmash gets decayed by most wolfs from what I've seen. Contrary to popular belief, pummeling does NOT restore move decay.

Once these are answered, we can move on early. ^_^ My vote is for GaW.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Answers in red

-Wolf outcamps Olimar

I'd say yes...If he stays at the right distance...

Ehrm...how?

WACed? What's that <_<

Yes, I think so

Never edgeguard Wolf's Forward B. It'll spike Olimar into his doom. Only edgeguard his upB, if you can

Bait it somehow...fake it out...it has a long lag afterwards. I don't know how Olimar can do that though...

What are wolf's most reliable kill moves in this fight? Dsmash gets decayed by most wolfs
from what I've seen. Contrary to popular belief, pummeling does NOT restore move decay.

Olimar is so light, wolf doesn't need to keep the dsmash fresh against him. Fair is also a good killer move and even bair has finishing potential

Once these are answered, we can move on early. ^_^ My vote is for GaW.
10chars

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ehrm...how?
My bad. Olimar can approach Wolf safely. It's hard, but definitely possible. Some people think this matchup is sooo onesided for wolf because of how hard it is to approach. I think wolf has the advantage, but it's definitely winable though. Olimar, like most characters, can powershield walk to get close and jump up. If wolf quits lasering and runs away, oli just falls and repeats. If he goes underneath him, you can just land near him and go about your business.
WACed? What's that <_<
the whistle.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Hehe, fool be comin to the Oli boards and not knowin what WAC is.

Anyway.

Can you grab out of Wolf's Shine? Or would he cancel it once you started to approach anyway...

I want to say 50-50 but in truth it's 60-40 Wolf and we all know it =\ (maybe less lol) But he definitely has more advantages then disadvantages.

Didn't we already cover G&W? Or is my memory just that bad. Either way I don't care who we discuss next week.

asob4

Smash Champion
i really don't think it's 60-40 wolf

i actually see it as 60-40 olimar
i've had no problems with wolf and have beaten good wolf's and spammy wolf's
they weren't nubs and they are great players. besides the spammy ones of course lol
but i managed to come out on top each and every time.

there's obviously some disadvantages for oli but i think he has too many advantages on wolf to make a big difference

it's not like it's ****, it's gonna be close
more than likely it is 55-45 either way

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Copying Gheb, because I suck (hence why there won't be color differences). Hope its at least somewhat helpful.

-Wolf outcamps Olimar
Yes.

I don't know if its worth sucking up the damage, keep in mind it'll still refresh wolf's moves. Any other approach options?

No idea, but probably.

I have no idea, but for the upB spike, just make sure you're at a range where only the weak part will hit, then you'll be safe. He can shine you offstage if you get in close though, so... maybe throwing a purple pikmin? Also, if he's recovering from below, and pikmin can still hit people after a fsmash that sends the pikmin off the stage, it could work as a gimp. I don't know if that works though, that's your job :laugh:

Bait it, I can't think of any good ways how to though. Grabs work on the reflector, just like everything else, after the invincibility frames. Otherwise, just stay outside his shine range and grab grab grab, your grab range is too good.

What are wolf's most reliable kill moves in this fight? Dsmash gets decayed by most wolfs from what I've seen. Contrary to popular belief, pummeling does NOT restore move decay.
Each grab you get only counts the refreshing for the first pummel IIRC, the others don't count. All smashes can kill, spike, bair offstage (not really because of whistle though, right?), fair, and utilt. Mostly dsmash though, which won't be decayed by a good wolf, so keep your distance (grabs help).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't know if its worth sucking up the damage, keep in mind it'll still refresh wolf's moves. Any other approach options?
It's Olimar's best option against a bair wall. The damage input to output will greatly favor Olimar. If I can whistle one bair and have it lead into a grab, I'll take only 10-15% and give you at least 40. This is our goal. We won't need any other approaches against it. As for the laser, that has been explained already.

I have no idea, but for the upB spike, just make sure you're at a range where only the weak part will hit, then you'll be safe. He can shine you offstage if you get in close though, so... maybe throwing a purple pikmin? Also, if he's recovering from below, and pikmin can still hit people after a fsmash that sends the pikmin off the stage, it could work as a gimp. I don't know if that works though, that's your job :laugh:
I guess it's only "safe" to edgeguard a recovery from below like you said. The pikmin we use for an fsmash isn't multihit. It won't hit twice. Nevertheless, I love to use it to edgeuard though. ^_^

Bait it, I can't think of any good ways how to though. Grabs work on the reflector, just like everything else, after the invincibility frames. Otherwise, just stay outside his shine range and grab grab grab, your grab range is too good.
So it's one of those moves people are just going to have to get used to, like Rob's lasers. We know about spacing, lol.

Each grab you get only counts the refreshing for the first pummel IIRC, the others don't count. All smashes can kill, spike, bair offstage (not really because of whistle though, right?), fair, and utilt. Mostly dsmash though, which won't be decayed by a good wolf, so keep your distance (grabs help).
fsmash won't hit very often, but if it does it probably won't be decayed for that reason. I guess that can make it a kill move. Better Olimars don't get spiked and gimped very often-mostly edgehogged. Uptilt kills? lol.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Lol yeah, uptilt kills. Its awesome how nobody really cares about it :laugh: but it's usually a last-ditch attempt at a kill, and great at demoralizing your opponent if they lose a game because of it. I mean, really now. Utilt? That's just sad. I can't even put it in words. Seriously.

For the fsmash, I meant just whiffing it, and letting the pikmin fall and hit wolf. I'm not too good when it comes to being clear in posts, so sorry about that ._.

Wolf's fsmash should just be used as a punisher, and it can kill, its sort of like a dsmash with less knockback and great distance, they have similar trajectories in general. You could get edgehogged afterwards though, so it's still something to watch out for I suppose, anything besides fsmash and dsmash on stage probably won't make it too difficult to get back on the stage.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
OK in response to the entire discussion. It's 60:40 wolf.

I accept that Olimar has enough tricks to win and that it's not hopeless for him. But Olimar just needs a lot of effort to win here - more than Wolf. Getting around the blaster spam and bair already requires patience and perfectly timed use of the whistle and all that jazz. But then you also have to count the fact, that Olimar is easier to edgeguard than Wolf and that Wolf can knock Oli off the stage rather easily. And let's not forget, that Wolfs blaster still cancel's Olimars best options - grab, fsmash, Pikmin throw.

As far as I can see, Snail agrees with Wolfs advantage anyways (Puddin and Dan also are inclined to agree imo), so I really can't see why it shouldn't be 60:40 for Wolf.

@asob4

It's not like I don't believe you but your experiecene doesn't have much relevence unless you provide some facts. All you said was: "I never had problems against Wolf and the Wolfs I fought were good. I think it's Olimars advantage."

...Well, everybody can say that obviously...

Puddin

Smash Lord
Lol yeah, uptilt kills. Its awesome how nobody really cares about it :laugh: but it's usually a last-ditch attempt at a kill, and great at demoralizing your opponent if they lose a game because of it. I mean, really now. Utilt? That's just sad. I can't even put it in words. Seriously.

For the fsmash, I meant just whiffing it, and letting the pikmin fall and hit wolf. I'm not too good when it comes to being clear in posts, so sorry about that ._.

Wolf's fsmash should just be used as a punisher, and it can kill, its sort of like a dsmash with less knockback and great distance, they have similar trajectories in general. You could get edgehogged afterwards though, so it's still something to watch out for I suppose, anything besides fsmash and dsmash on stage probably won't make it too difficult to get back on the stage.
Lol well Ftilt is your best option for any tilt kill, I've never killed with an Utilt though... but imagine the humiliation of the person you KO!!

The new week is upon us, so who will we cover next? (well almost upon us)

Dotcom

Smash Lord
let's take the 60/40 in stride.
Any stage reccomendations. Good and badtages are excepted (i'm thinking don't go to final D)
Gayman Watch shall be next week (looking at it it doesn't seem like Olimar has many advantageous match - up :( , or maybe we are listening too much to the other threads. -_-

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Bad stages for Wolf against Olimar...

Luigis Mansion

Wolfs blaster spam doesn't really work here, Olimar can camp all day long and the edges of the stage can screw Wolfs recovery

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, Lylat Cruise is Wolfs worst stage but I'm not sure, how well Oli can make use of it...

Awex

Smash Lord
Luigis or Lylat will ruin wolf.

In my eyes the matchup is 50/50.

As for edgeguarding, downsmash is amazing if they go high or if you can bait a stage scar. If they go low, instant tether edge hog will wreck an attempt at sweet-spotting with side b, and Wolf's up b blows chunks. ;p

asob4

Smash Champion
i'm too lazy to go in depth :/

if anything it's 55-45 either one's favor
it's too much of a close match to say it isn't that

asob4

Smash Champion
i just don't see that >_> i can't
i refuse to!!

when one grab is a guaranteed 60% and an easy edgeguard for kill i just can't
lazers are avoidable, yes they're huge and have a bayonet but there's a 1/5 chance we get a stage where it is horrible for us, even then it's manageable

we can WAC any kill move, which shouldn't be too hard as we all WAC every thing :/
wolf is also very easy to read
if he isn't lazering then he's bairing to a shine or smash
our up tilts and nair beat out i THINK all his smashes, dtilt traps him til a good percent and leads to upsmash or even dsmash

i just can't see it being in his favor

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
comments in red...

i refuse to!!

You don't get it, do you? BLASTER RELEASES WOLF BEFORE OLIMAR CAN THROW WOLF, EVEN IF HE ALREADY GRABED WOLF!!!

lazers are avoidable, yes they're huge and have a bayonet but there's a 1/5 chance we get a stage where it is horrible for us, even then it's manageable

Only half right. Laser still srews up Olimars grab, his fsmash and his pikmin throw

we can WAC any kill move, which shouldn't be too hard as we all WAC every thing :/

What kind of logic is this supposed to be? By that logic, Olimar'd be invincible...

blah blah

Or dtilt, of 0 lag fair or ftilt or jab or...

our up tilts and nair beat out i THINK all his smashes, dtilt traps him til a good percent and leads to upsmash or even dsmash

Wolf has more than just his smashes. His laser beats 90% of your moves, if not more

10chars

Snail

Smash Lord
i refuse to!!

I know he doesn't look too hard on paper, and the lasers are avoidable, but Wolf's blaster puts tremendous pressure on Olimar. You can powershield them all (if you're good at it), but jumping into a nair or fair will get you shieldgrabbed or baired. You can't spotdodge all blaster shots, you can't outcamp Wolf because the bayonet kills pikmin, you can't regular shield them because it'll eat your shield. Approaching is insanely hard and pretty much the only way I can see is approach with a full jump and whistle the bair when it comes, which is not very easy and Wolf may just wait for the whistle and grab you. :/

It's less annoying on platform stages though, but still. You'll always be forced to approach, which is always much harder than letting the opponent come to you. Unless you play MK of course.

It's not impossible but I think it's Olimar's most frustrating battle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom