• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Olimar Boards Thread Directory

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I just realized that this is the first time I've given an infraction since Fino got banned lol.

Huh.

+1

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Alright, much of this post is for myself, so that I have a check list of what we need for the Olimar Boards. I promised that after MLG I'd start focusing on prettying up our forum, and we really need to start. It's going to take a long time, and I don't plan on getting this all taken care of at once, or even within the month, for that matter. It's a lot to get done, especially when we have a dying community. But if we don't start now, we'll never get it done.

So, here's a list of each type of thread that I think is important for us to have as a character board. If you think of something I've missed, let me know, especially something that we may not have at the moment.

Guide: Deflowered needs to be replaced as of now. Fino isn't here anymore. I plan to start working on one within the week. Whether it will cover frame data or not, I'm not sure. If anything, it will include the frame data for each of the hitboxes of Olimar's attacks (sweet and sour spots included), but not the data on hitstun, as that will take me a long time to complete. I will make the guide an open project and speak to the Olimar mains during the creation of it so that it is not just my effort going into it.

Video Thread: Dan is gone :/ I would like someone else to take over the video thread, but it's not seeing too much activity as of now. Olimars aren't uploading videos at all. However, a video thread that works as a critique thread will be important in the long run.

Q&A: Zori is taking a hiatus, although his Q&A thread will still be able to serve its purpose. However, the social thread seems to actually be doing the job that the Q&A thread is suppose to. Many people end up asking questions in that thread instead.

Matchup Thread: It looks like I may be taking the matchup thread back up. We need a thread to discuss how we deal with matchups, I blame the lack of a solid one for our slow metagame improvement. I'll start working on it.

Stage Thread: Doing its job for the most part. But this is my job. We've just about hit the peak and discussed almost all of the legal stages, and we'll be getting to the next steps soon.

Research Thread: Much of the data in the research thread will be revised and included in the guide. The research thread will not be needed after that.

Kyas' Thread: Will not be needed after the completion of the guide. The guide will include everything.

Matchup Chart: This really needs to be revised. I don't like the fact that the thread took off with a bang, but then stopped, slowing down afterwards. We didn't really discuss the matchups and if the averages were right, which I think is a problem. There are a few other things that need to be discussed within the thread, but that will be for another time.

Colors for Each Occasion: I love this thread idea and feel it needs to be expanded upon. Good **** Coud.

Interview Thread: This thread moving slowly doesn't surprise me. It'll be nice to see it pick back up, but it's not as important as some others are.

Moveset Discussion: While this thread is important and needs to be pushed more, it's not going to do us any good until our community evolves a bit more.

Tourney Results: This is fine.

Every other thread is on a specific topic and won't need too much management. Either discussion will take place within it or it won't. The threads I listed above are all threads I feel are important, some of which we are missing. And while we do have threads filled, such as the guide, and the Video Thread, many of them need revision or new ownership.

Geddan

Smash Ace
YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHH HILT!!

you know how much i suck since you're the only one to see my vids besides fino, but i mean, i'm always willing to help the boards out. assign me a thread if you want since i don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Same here, I don't have all of the experience of a more seasoned Olimar, but if there's any way I could be of assistance I'd be happy to help. For instance, I could help to organize a new video thread; as far as I know I wouldn't need to be an amazing player (yet!) to run that, just include all of the links from the previous thread, add new videos when they arrive, and keep the format neat and useful. As far as critiquing, the better Olimars could handle that aspect. Just a suggestion, but I'm here to help :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Alright, it's been mentioned in a couple other of threads, so I thought I would bring up the topic in here.

What does everyone want to do for Matchup Discussions? I don't mind running a thread with exports (separate threads for each character). Would people like to start matchup discussions soon? The problem we may have is that we don't have a huge community at the moment, and most of our veterans haven't posted too much lately. But I guess it wouldn't hurt, and it may bring some of them back.

I could have the thread running sometime next week (I'm going to be busy all weekend, so it's going to have to wait). What would people like to discuss? I'd rather not discuss anyone we have writeups for in the Impact Site, or Meta Knight, as Dabuz writeup on MK is more than enough to hold us for now. I'll point to that thread and that post as a reference, in the Matchup Thread, so people won't be lost as to why we don't have anything on Meta Knight, when we do. So Meta Knight, Peach, Toon Link, Falco, Lucario, and Donkey Kong, are all Matchups I would rather not discuss. I'll leave the Impact Site stickied for now, even with the other Matchup thread up as well, until the new Matchup thread gets up and moving at a good pace.

So, who would everyone like to discuss?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Snake, for one. I've seen plenty of little tips here and there (ex. throw to spike at low percents) and don't do too badly against Snake usually, but I still feel my game could improve here. Also, Icies - I get lost at what to do against them, especially when they start to Blizzard. I know you're supposed to separate them, but doing so isn't always easy for me.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Both of those sound like good ideas. IC being a matchup that can be complicated for many people, and Snake being a matchup you have to know when going into a tournament.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Alright, it's been mentioned in a couple other of threads, so I thought I would bring up the topic in here.

What does everyone want to do for Matchup Discussions? I don't mind running a thread with exports (separate threads for each character). Would people like to start matchup discussions soon? The problem we may have is that we don't have a huge community at the moment, and most of our veterans haven't posted too much lately. But I guess it wouldn't hurt, and it may bring some of them back.

I could have the thread running sometime next week (I'm going to be busy all weekend, so it's going to have to wait). What would people like to discuss? I'd rather not discuss anyone we have writeups for in the Impact Site, or Meta Knight, as Dabuz writeup on MK is more than enough to hold us for now. I'll point to that thread and that post as a reference, in the Matchup Thread, so people won't be lost as to why we don't have anything on Meta Knight, when we do. So Meta Knight, Peach, Toon Link, Falco, Lucario, and Donkey Kong, are all Matchups I would rather not discuss. I'll leave the Impact Site stickied for now, even with the other Matchup thread up as well, until the new Matchup thread gets up and moving at a good pace.

yoshi seperate threads >.>

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
As simple as the Yoshi matchup would be, it isn't all too important. Even though the matchup is even, there are other more important characters we should discuss first.

Of course, that's only how I feel, if other players want to discuss Yoshi, I don't have a problem with it.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Haha, alright. Well like I said, I'll be taking care of things when I get back in town, after this weekend is over. Sorry to keep you all waiting.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Haha, alright. Well like I said, I'll be taking care of things when I get back in town, after this weekend is over. Sorry to keep you all waiting.
It's alright.

10 points to everyone who gets the reference. All others must commit honorable suicide :chuckle:

Besides, next week will leave a couple days for me to practice and get ready for the tourney, so it's all good.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Family Guy is just so bad nowadays.

I actually don't remember having a discussion of Snake that wasn't just "spam Fsmash".
Snake sounds good.

Pete278

Smash Lord

Be that as it may, I'd still rather a discussion on it by the entire board that something written by one person. Metaknight, being as versatile as he is, can be played so many different ways that it'd just be more effective for newcomers to see a board discussion than one person's experience against one small section of MK playstyles, because if they take that advice on board against a different style of MK, it'll hinder their progress.

But whatever, I'm up for anything.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Family Guy is just so bad nowadays.

I actually don't remember having a discussion of Snake that wasn't just "spam Fsmash".
Snake sounds good.
You speak the truth. I didn't even realize how bad it's gotten until I saw a rerun of an old episode and I said "Holy crap, that's actually funny!" Not to mention they actually respected the notion of a storyline back then

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Be that as it may, I'd still rather a discussion on it by the entire board that something written by one person. Metaknight, being as versatile as he is, can be played so many different ways that it'd just be more effective for newcomers to see a board discussion than one person's experience against one small section of MK playstyles, because if they take that advice on board against a different style of MK, it'll hinder their progress.

But whatever, I'm up for anything.
And we will discuss Meta Knight. Just not right now.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
An update for the Matchup Thread:

I have it half way finished, but I'm too tired to do the rest. Spending time with the girlfriend tomorrow and Wednesday, although I'll try to finish it before I head out, if I have the time. If not, I'll take care of it Wednesday night.

Just letting you all know I haven't forgotten about it. After I'm done with it, I have a few things I want to do with the stage thread, and I'm going to get back on working on Frame Data for the new guide.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
An update for the Matchup Thread:

I have it half way finished, but I'm too tired to do the rest. Spending time with the girlfriend tomorrow and Wednesday, although I'll try to finish it before I head out, if I have the time. If not, I'll take care of it Wednesday night.

Just letting you all know I haven't forgotten about it. After I'm done with it, I have a few things I want to do with the stage thread, and I'm going to get back on working on Frame Data for the new guide.
yays, i hope it has a mu chart with the number/number with pics like lucario boards :d

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I won't be able to get anything like that done as of now, but we will be working on prettying up the thread with a chart. That will come later, and isn't as important. Getting up the matchup thread and starting discussions is what's important right now, the rest will come later.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I won't be able to get anything like that done as of now, but we will be working on prettying up the thread with a chart. That will come later, and isn't as important. Getting up the matchup thread and starting discussions is what's important right now, the rest will come later.
Here here, the sooner the better. I can't wait for the new information; it might not help me in time for my first tourney but it's all about the big picture anyways :) And btw when it comes time to make a chart I'd be more than happy to help; I love making things purty :chuckle:

EDIT: purty AND effective :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Matchup thread has been put up, along with the export thread for discussing the Snake Matchup. The Matchup Directory thread isn't pretty yet, and doesn't have a lot of info, but it's enough to get us on our feet for the time being.

I also took the liberty of unstickying Kyas' "Everything You Need To Know About Pikmin" thread, as it is outdated and should be replaced. Much love Kyas, it's served its job well. It's just time more of us stepped it up and got a more up to date thread of that type up.

I'm also closing Draconoa's Matchup Chart Thread, as he will not be coming back for awhile, and cannot lead the thread. The new stickied Matchup Directory Thread willl serve the same purpose, so having two threads of the same type will have no purpose.

Next week I'm going to begin revamping the Stage Thread.

Noa.

Smash Master
Updated OP.

The format has received a major overhaul and I think it's vastly superior to the previous version.

I didn't update the thread list itself though. Please posts useful links.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Clever title. Can you really infract someone for not noticing a "typo"?

Noa.

Smash Master
Clover what are you talking about there is no typo. ;)

I added all those threads to the OP except the last one by Rich.

Top Bottom