• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekar173

Justice Man
I disagree. Playing people with no banana control is so much more fun. Every stock is combo video material.

Playing people with good banana control is frustrating. It's all "lol trip on this," and he's all, "naw, I'll just take that," and I'm all, "****."
Something like that.
I'll agree with that, BUT, it also pretty much forces you into being an autopilot player (when your opponents are less naner-savvy) whereas when your opponent has good item control, you're forced to outthink and out-technical your opponent, rather than just "lol I'll throw a banana and he'll just stand there and trip cuz hez dum lololol"

Combo vid material happens when both players are good, not when one player sucks so bad that they're a punching bag ;P

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'll agree with that, BUT, it also pretty much forces you into being an autopilot player (when your opponents are less naner-savvy) whereas when your opponent has good item control, you're forced to outthink and out-technical your opponent, rather than just "lol I'll throw a banana and he'll just stand there and trip cuz hez dum lololol"

Combo vid material happens when both players are good, not when one player sucks so bad that they're a punching bag ;P
You're right, but every now and then it's great fun to play against someone who's terrible in the match up.

Yes and no to the last part. Combo videos in nature are supposed to make your opponent look bad, so... what's the difference? :laugh:
It's more impressive when it's being done against better opponents, of course.

Also:
DAMMIT! I lose.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I know this all too well, the person I play the most couldn't adjust to Diddy and tried the same things over and over, which led to me playing on autopilot cause it worked everytime.. then I got rocked by a Yoshi in crews.

;/

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Only when I get to practice :/ If I don't get practice I get rusty way fast.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Are you coming to AZ DRyu? How about $10 my PT v your Diddy? :) I'd hate for someone to go into a MM on my behalf, especially against a character that they have 0 real match-up experience against :O

napZzz

Smash Hero
sup diddy players, I've recently realized that snake is boring and I should start using someone fun at tourneys and that character is diddy so I'mma start postin up in these boards.

Hi :D

napZzz

Smash Hero
Welcome! Being a prior Snake main I'm gonna go ahead and assume you know how to browse character boards, ya? ;)
Ugh. I just went through like, a bunch of **** in here . Alot of really good info but I wish the matchup thread was mored filled out

Snake boards suck. too many ppl who dont know what they're talking about and all the crazy claims, I want to cry everytime people like SuSa talk about the falco or DDD matchup

*waits to get harassed* xD

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Are you coming to AZ DRyu? How about $10 my PT v your Diddy? :) I'd hate for someone to go into a MM on my behalf, especially against a character that they have 0 real match-up experience against :O
Already lose all confidence on Sinz's great diddy? Get real yo.
Yeah ok I accept, but I won't be coming to the AZ tournament. So we'll have to delay it until we really do meet.

Also welcome Nappy :D

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
lol I just made a bunch of SF nerds hate me on Gfaqs by saying Smash has more depth than SF. I do think it does though.

TreK

Is "that guy"
lol I just made a bunch of SF nerds hate me on Gfaqs by saying Smash has more depth than SF. I do think it does though.
You mad. SFers are known to be proud lol
I've never played SF4, it looks just as stally as brawl so I'm not even interested lol

If I ever switch games it will be for blazblue <3

napZzz

Smash Hero
street fighter is just paper rock scizzors with combos involved, not really that complicated, hell I think even brawl is deeper than SF :/

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Street Fighter is a great series, and it isn't anything to laugh at. I just love making people mad on that site with my real-world logic. It makes them so mad. Anyway, I just thought I'd share that with my favorite board.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
*stares at title*

I've been doing this for 3 months.

Get at me.

in unrelated news, marching band means that I'll play this game a lot less. It makes me sad. I don't want to be out of the loop of things D:

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Alright, the only way I can jump in on this thread is to know whats currently going on here. Can some1 tell me?
A whole lot of nothing anymore (AvaricePanda, at the rate the Diddy boards have been moving, you won't be out of the loop very much at all). Read the Diddy Guide and the Kongpendium, find things you need to ask questions about, and ask them. ATM we're waiting for someone to post a question so we can answer :laugh:

Boofy!

Smash Champion
soo here goes my vain attempt to inject some more life into this thread.

Why/How did everyone here pick up Diddy??
Was it his Playstyle? Viability? Cause He's a Monkey? (I'll Start)

When the Dojo first started doing the updates (you must recover! ftw) I originally wanted to main Pit and secondary Diddy, despite how good they were going to be, simply because I liked them as characters. Especially Pit, I mean come on, a bow that shoots light arrows and splits into 2 swords AND he can fly? I was sold. So I mained Pit for the first month or so, still using Diddy occasionally but mostly for doubles (lol go figure) and then.. idk. Pit just kinda wore off LOL and I started playing Diddy more and more.. he was too much fun! I think it was because how disappointed I was in Brawl in the beginning. I like many others was expecting the fast paced combo crazy epicness that was melee, and instead got.. Brawl. (which isn't a bad thing I love them both, just gotta realize it's 2 different games) and I felt Diddy played very fast and combo heavy, which is what I loved. (Falco main, get at me!) And the rest is history lol. Once the metagame began to evolve and people like Thumbswayup and NL were showing Diddy's potential, I was officially a Diddy main. =)

Sorry for that rant, wasn't expecting to write so much lol <3 Diddy

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
A whole lot of nothing anymore (AvaricePanda, at the rate the Diddy boards have been moving, you won't be out of the loop very much at all). Read the Diddy Guide and the Kongpendium, find things you need to ask questions about, and ask them. ATM we're waiting for someone to post a question so we can answer :laugh:
Thanks I forgot to come back to this thread.

And, as a reply to SmAsH-T3r's comment, I mained Diddy because he's a monkey, is one of my favorite characters in video games, and I was playing DKC 2 : Diddy's Kong Quest on the day he was announced by the Dojo. Highly coincidental...

Plus I wanted a main that was different from Dr. Mario so when I got Brawl, I wouldn't miss him.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I main diddy because sakurai told me to.
Remember the dojo ? The article for diddy was "Diddy's fighting style is weird ; pictures aren't enough and you should just try him out to understand how that little chimp fights"
So I followed the will of the creator, I tried, and unfortunately, his moveset was toooooo much fun. Not even the fact you could spawn bananas, as I started using bananas in november XD, but his dash attack, dtilt, smashes, recovery stuff, side B I loved it all lol
Bananas, the fact that he's number five in the game or so, and how technical/tricky he is all are great plusses that made me stick for more than a year =)
Diddy isn't even my favorite character or anything, I only heard of him trough Brawl, tbh I thought Diddy was a chimpette when I picked him up so you get the idea xD

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
It was the Dojo. When I first saw him being released, I was all "Oh man, he looks like he'll be weird to play... I bet I'd be the only one playing him in my area!" Beyond that, he was always my favorite character in Donkey Kong 64 (still one of my favorite games evar), and the comment that Teneban quoted about his play style being weird sounded like it'd be a fun challenge to overcome. Then came... Wolf. I saw the videos of the one guy showing off each character's movesets from the Japanese version of Brawl, and I remembered how much he was raving about Wolf being the new Fox. Well, I had mained Fox in Melee, so I was thinking "It's like Fox, only better!" I was wrong. After about six months of 2500+ SDs with Wolf alone, I remembered how I had wanted to play Diddy and tried him out again. He was really fun, and in the same vein as Teneban I wasn't using Bananas very much at the beginning; heck, I wasn't doing much of anything worthwhile at the beginning, other than having fun with his moveset x) Once I came back on Smashboards and finally came to the Diddy forums (per DanGR's suggestion) and I learned about/started practicing all the ATs, I fell in love with the chimp. Some time spent trying to pick up Falco as a secondary has gotten me BPG-happy, and time with Wolf and Kirby has made me spend probably a little too much time in the air, trying to space a F-Air that isn't as long as I keep thinking it is xD But I love his Banana combos, I love the fact that I can and have to get better every time I play (Diddy has so much room to grow at the level I'm at), and I like the fact that I was able to contribute to the community in some way for all the help it gave me in playing our monkey :)

So why did I pick Diddy? He's fun, Sakurai said he would be, I loved him from DK64, and Wolf sucks xD

EDIT: Not to take away from this current topic (I want to see everybody's answers!), but has anyone else noticed just how much the other character mains seem to hate us? Almost everybody I've played recently has something to say along the lines of "I hate Diddy, I hate the Bananas, I hate his playstyle, I hate the way he moves, I hate the sounds he makes, I hate everything about him, and I hate people who play him"... No joke O.o (That's almost an exact quote from someone standing behind me at a tournament during one of my pools matches)

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
When i saw all the updates in the dojo, i wanted to main one of the new characters because they all looked cool >_>. When i got the game i used mk for like my first 3 matches, and i hated him. Then i picked lucas and used him for like a month, and using diddy as a secondary. Then i just started playing diddy way more because...well...he was just more fun. He then just turned into my main, and i dropped everyone else i was using. I've pretty much stuck with him since like April 08? Diddy is by far my favorite character. He is the most fun to play, i love his moveset, bananas, and his costume, its pimp. Also, Diddy is a monkey that ***** so hard he gives people AIDS. That is all.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Basically, Ice Climbers forced my opponents to play gay, so I got sick of that. Lucario almost worked out, but playing him made me realize that I really just want to be able to reliably approach, without being Meta Knight.

I stayed away from Diddy for awhile because I didn't want to have to completely relearn a character (and learn all his banana shenanigans). But eventually I gave him a try, and had more fun than I did with any other character.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
*stares at title*

in unrelated news, marching band means that I'll play this game a lot less. It makes me sad. I don't want to be out of the loop of things D:
Orly? What do you play?

EDIT: Not to take away from this current topic (I want to see everybody's answers!), but has anyone else noticed just how much the other character mains seem to hate us? Almost everybody I've played recently has something to say along the lines of "I hate Diddy, I hate the Bananas, I hate his playstyle, I hate the way he moves, I hate the sounds he makes, I hate everything about him, and I hate people who play him"... No joke O.o (That's almost an exact quote from someone standing behind me at a tournament during one of my pools matches)
Lol, i love the hate, other times it just gets annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom