• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Counter Game

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Haha, terrywj has pwned me at least twice.

@Ikue Ootani: Creative name, btw.

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Solid Rock/Modest
252hp/252sp.atk/6sp.def
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-HP (Grass)
-Yawn

Fire+Ground ftw.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Camerupt @ Leftovers
Solid Rock/Modest
252hp/252sp.atk/6sp.def
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-HP (Grass)
-Yawn

Fire+Ground ftw.[/QUOTE]

@Camerupt

Blastoise @ Focus Sash
Nature: Bold
Ability: Torrent
252 Def / 252 Sdef / 6 Sptk
Surf
Sleep Talk
Rest
Ice Beam

I'm to lazy to run clacs on it to make sure Solid Rock won't ruin surf's OHKO, or possibly even the set if that's the case. Depends on the power, and if I switch into an HP grass instead of something else.

0RLY

@ Blastoise: Solid Rock will make Surf x2.66 damage. Enough damage to ohko.

Lapras @ Leftovers
Water Absorb/Jolly
252hp/252spe/6atk
-Dragon Dance
-Return
-Waterfall
-Rock Smash

Return+Waterfall=unresisted. Your attacks mean nothing to me as I DD up to sweeping potential.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
@ Blastoise: Solid Rock will make Surf x2.66 damage. Enough damage to ohko.

Lapras @ Leftovers
Water Absorb/Jolly
252hp/252spe/6atk
-Dragon Dance
-Return
-Waterfall
-Rock Smash

Return+Waterfall=unresisted. Your attacks mean nothing to me as I DD up to sweeping potential.
Poliwrath @ Wide Lens
Nature: Jolly
Ability:Water Absorb
252 Spe/ 252 Hp / 6 atk
Hypnosis
Belly Drum
Brick Break
Earthquake

Hypnosis to Belly Drum, and then Brick Break. Even if you outspeed me, I should be able to take a hit or two.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
I outspeed you Terywj. If I EQ on the switch, and then EQ next turn you're gone before you can touch me. Poliwrath's base speed is 3 higher than hypno's, and we're both running Jolly and 252 EVs in speed. I think Poliwrath is still up for the countering.

0RLY

Poliwrath @ Wide Lens
Nature: Jolly
Ability:Water Absorb
252 Spe/ 252 Hp / 6 atk
Hypnosis
Belly Drum
Brick Break
Earthquake

Hypnosis to Belly Drum, and then Brick Break. Even if you outspeed me, I should be able to take a hit or two.
Driftblim @ Liechi Berry
Unburden/Adamant
252atk/252spe/6hp
-Natural Gift
-Thief
-Return
-Substitute

Immune to your two attacks. Makes a sub and uses, Natural Gift+Liechi=80 BA Grass attack. This activates Unburden and gives me a x1.5atk and x1.5spe boost. Theif to steal an item to replace my lost one and covers ghosts. Return for... my only good physical attacking move.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Driftblim @ Liechi Berry
Unburden/Adamant
252atk/252spe/6hp
-Natural Gift
-Thief
-Return
-Substitute

Immune to your two attacks. Makes a sub and uses, Natural Gift+Liechi=80 BA Grass attack. This activates Unburden and gives me a x1.5atk and x1.5spe boost. Theif to steal an item to replace my lost one and covers ghosts. Return for... my only good physical attacking move.
Infernape @Leftovers
Naive Nature
EVs:252spA/232spE/24attk

Encore
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
Close Combat

It can take whatever Drifblim throws at it, Encores it (barring Return, in that case, Nasty Plot + Fire Blast) and Plots.

0RLY

Does ape outspeed my baloon after a Natural Gift? Because that gives me a x1.5 boost to my offenses and speed, due to unburden. Return should KO you after you destroy my sub.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
ORLy I think you may have Ape there. BTW unburden 2x speed not x1.5 and, has no affect on offences. You already have a sub-up when Ape switches, you do out speed him with unburden. You can Return on the switch, and return again next turn before Ape can even break your sub. You should just able to Return him to death before he can pull a KO off.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
@Driftblim

Honchkrow @ Leftovers
Jolly/Super Luck
252 Atk/252 Spd/6 Def
~Taunt
~Sucker Punch
~Roost
~Fly
Taunts you, Punches you for the KO.

0RLY

@ RedPeppers: Really it's x2? That makes Drifblim a bit more... usable lol. As for the strength boost, *points at liechi berry* Natural Gift automatically consumes the berry, and attacks with it... strange huh?

@ Honchkrow:

Kabutops @ Leftovers
Adamant/Battle Armor
252atk/252spe/6def
-Knock Off
-Stone Edge
-Waterfall
-X scissor

I'm getting taunted on the switch anyways so I won't be supporting much. First pokemon with Battle Armor that I could think of. My speed is greater than yours despite your +nature. Speed won't matter anyways since your Sucker Punch has priority. Your moves won't be doing much to me due to my high base defenses. Stone Edge for the ****, other moves for filler.

0RLY

Well, I can't blame Jesiah for being new to the counter game... so here comes that boring cycle again.

Gyrados @ (dragon weakening berry)<-- If these berries only weaken super effective attacks, then Leftovers =/
Intimidate/Adamant
160atk/252def/96hp
-Ice Fang
-Aqua Tail
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

Intimidate reduces your threatening attack power. My high base sp.def + resistance to fire should be enough to ward you away from using fire blast. Ice Fang should be enough to 1-2hko you. Only offensive moves because I won't survive enough turns to stat up.

I wanted to use Mamoswine, but I need a power item in order to ensure the KO with Ice Shard. Also, I needed a Focus Sash to stay alive.

Note: When holding a Choice Scarf, I think you have to mention what attack you're gonna use, since you're locked into it.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Well, I can't blame Jesiah for being new to the counter game... so here comes that boring cycle again. <-- lol

Gyarados @ (dragon weakening berry)<-- If these berries only weaken super effective attacks, then Leftovers =/ <--And yes, they do only SE hits
Intimidate/Adamant
160atk/252def/96hp
-Ice Fang
-Aqua Tail
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
...It is seriously hard for me NOT to use Bronzong again...But whatever, time for some cheap crap:

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Modest / Levitate
EVs - 252 SpAt, 252 Spd (other 4 really don't matter)
~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power [Ice]
~Energy Ball

Hangs on with the Sash, T-bolts you, I eat fried Gyara for a month :dizzy:

Kips

Smash Ace
Bah, OU again.

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
(+Special Defense, -Attack)
Ability: Sturdy
EVS: 252 HP, 52 Special Attack, 200 Special Defense, 4 Speed
-Substitute
-Rest
-Hidden Power [Dark]
-Flamethrower
That's right, it's Bastiodon. Ignore my pathetic 60 base HP and look at my 138 Special Defense. That's THREE more points then Blissey. With 252 EV's in HP and that Special Defense I can create a substitute (Slower then you of course) that takes any hits and can safely Rest behind it and use Hidden Power [Dark]. Since I only have a mediocre 46 Base Special Attack, Focus Sash doesn't matter.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
@ RedPeppers: Really it's x2? That makes Drifblim a bit more... usable lol. As for the strength boost, *points at liechi berry* Natural Gift automatically consumes the berry, and attacks with it... strange huh?

@ Honchkrow:

Kabutops @ Leftovers
Adamant/Battle Armor
252atk/252spe/6def
-Knock Off
-Stone Edge
-Waterfall
-X scissor

I'm getting taunted on the switch anyways so I won't be supporting much. First pokemon with Battle Armor that I could think of. My speed is greater than yours despite your +nature. Speed won't matter anyways since your Sucker Punch has priority. Your moves won't be doing much to me due to my high base defenses. Stone Edge for the ****, other moves for filler.
Wait are you saying you get the berries effect, and you use the move?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Houndoom @ Leftovers
Modest/Flash Fire
252 Sp Atk/252 Spd/6 Sp Def
~Flamethrower
~HP {Electric}
~Nasty Plot
~Dream Eater
Heh heh. Snack for Houndoom. Your attacks do nothing against me. I Nasty Plot, break your subs. And heal myself when you sleep.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
@ Bastiodon

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Mild
EVs: 252 Spatk / 252 Sdef / 6 Hp
Earthquake
Surf
Icebeam
Brine

Same moveset as my in game Empoleon, EQ until you die, none of your attacks do any real damage to me. Lets get this back to BL/ UU / NU now.

TERYWJ STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!! I put alot of work into this one too. Wonder if my Empoleon counters his Houndoom?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Rofl sorry guys, I just love Garchomp so much I couldn't help it. Next time I'll do something creative though. Good job for taking him down though lol although I'm pretty sure we all know he'd just dodge any attacks you throw at him anyways lol

0RLY

Wait are you saying you get the berries effect, and you use the move?
Looks like I'm the only person who really used Natural Gift once or twice. The move first determines it's damage and type by what berry you're holding. Then your attack will commence, in this case 80BP Grass attack. The berry gets used in the process, which results in a stat boost after the attack finishes. This can be helpful on baton pass chains or an attack/stat-up move in one turn. The drawback comes in on your empty item slot and it's a one-time use move.

@ Empoleon: Empoleon may counter the Houndoom... HP (elec) will sting after a Nasty Plot, though. Gastrodon would work just as effectively. Erm... not sure who to counter.

Kips

Smash Ace
Can your Camerupt feel the terror that is...

Hypno @ Leftovers
(+Special Defense, -Attack)
Ability: Insomina
EVs: 252 HP/172 Special Defense/80 Speed
-Seismic Toss
-Wish
-Hypnosis
-Psychic

Great special defense with Wish nullifies your attacking power while Insomnia prevents any Yawn. I can also Hypnosis and then Psychic or Seismic Toss you down.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant/Technician
252 Atk/252 Spd/6 Def
~Swords Dance
~Brick Break
~U-Turn
~Iron Head
Brick Breaks you. Dances while you sleep.

0RLY

@ Platypus: Sableye is UU, last time I checked...

@ Scizor: What's the point of U-turn in the Counter Game? It might as well be an X scissor...

Moltres @ Leftovers
Pressure/Modest
252sp.atk/252hp/6spe
-Fire Blast
-Air Slash
-HP (Fight)
-Roost

Get out of the kitchen...

LightningKimba

Smash Cadet
Hm...

@ Moltres

Slowking w/ Leftovers
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Sp. Def, 6 HP
Surf
Psychic
Slack Off
Nasty Plot

And.. You're cancelled! Surf easily does massive damage, as well as many of your Moltres' moves with do little damage on Slowking.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Slowking w/ Leftovers
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Sp. Def, 6 HP
Surf
Psychic
Slack Off
Nasty Plot

And.. You're cancelled! Surf easily does massive damage, as well as many of your Moltres' moves with do little damage on Slowking.
Empoleon @ Shell Bell
Adamant / Torrent
EVs - 252 Att, 4 Def , 252 SpDef
~Aqua Jet
~Shadow Claw
~Brick Break
~Swords Dance

SwordPoleon = Woot!!!! Takes crap damage from both attacks, SDs to set up and Shadow Claws for the kill. Brick Break covers Normal, Dark, and Steel which all resist Shadow Claw. Aqua Jet for STAB, priority, and Torrent boost. Pretty crunchy, if you ask me :psycho:

0RLY

@ Beldum: You just HAD to humiliate the guy, didn't ya?

Wailord @ Choice Specs
Modest/Water Veil
252sp.atk/252hp/6def
-Water Spout
-Ice Beam
-HP (Electric)
-Earthquake

The purpose of any move outside of Water Spout is pointless. ***** in one hit with 150 base damage and a sp.atk stat of 459. Begin laughing, in terror or in shame, the choice is up to you.

EDIT: I just realized that I'll get hit with a Take Down as I come in, lowering Water Spout's damage. Beldum should still die, regardless. Oh, and Wailord has massive HP and Beldum has close to none, the recoil from Take Down may kill it without me even attacking.

fake EDIT2: Beldum is switching out for the next counter, so Water Spout will be at max damage. >:D

real EDIT2: Me and Kips think alike, high base HP stats ftw.

Kips

Smash Ace
Can your Beldum feel the awesome might of my..

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Special Defense
Nature: Brave (+Attack, -Speed)
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Double Edge
-Ice Beam
BLISSEYBOAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This Blissey's hand glows with an awesome POWER! It's burning grip tells it to defeat! Take this, it's love, it's anger and all of it's sorrow! SHINING BLISSEY SWORD!
But seriously, Subs up, Focus Punchs (With 120 Attack or something around there, lol) and eventually whittles you down enough to kill you. Double Edge and Ice Beam are there so I can call it BlisseyBoah for fun.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Can your Beldum feel the awesome might of my..

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Special Defense
Nature: Brave (+Attack, -Speed)
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Double Edge
-Ice Beam
BLISSEYBOAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This Blissey's hand glows with an awesome POWER! It's burning grip tells it to defeat! Take this, it's love, it's anger and all of it's sorrow! SHINING BLISSEY SWORD!
But seriously, Subs up, Focus Punchs (With 120 Attack or something around there, lol) and eventually whittles you down enough to kill you. Double Edge and Ice Beam are there so I can call it BlisseyBoah for fun.
Wormadan (T) "Roy" @ Salac Berry
Brave/Anticipation
252 Attack/252 HP/4 Speed
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic
-Return
-Natural Gift

NATURAL GIFT IS A OHKO!!! OMFG!!!
Also, SR is up.

0RLY

@ Kenji:
1) Wormadam does not ohko because Blissey has a sub up.
2) My Wailord is the current counter
3) Stealth Rock is not up because Blissey can focus punch you from behind the sub for massive damage.
4) Wormadam (T) means Trash Cloak, right? That means it's a steel type and has more reason to fear Focus Punch
5) "Natural gift is an ohko!"

Top Bottom