• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Counter Game

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Who cares, this is getting stupid

@Flygon

Quagsire@Leftovers
Adamant/Water Absorb
252HP/252Atk/4Def
-Ice Punch
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

There, if you can't find a UU counter for this you should just quit this game altogether.

WouW

Smash Lord
^See for yourself...

And no, Altaria will not be the current counter. I'm tired of having failed counters being posted, and those things being countered and countered again. It's not fair to me.

This has already happened several times before, and I won't allow it to happen again.
For example, about 100 pages ago, a Me First Absol was used to "counter" my SD Empoleon with Aqua Jet, Shadow Claw, and Brick Break. He assumed I would use Brick Break, and he could Me First it since he's faster. What if I Aqua Jet? gg

I try my best to be here as often as I can to make sure counters work before we move on...
I followed this 8 pages ago, WAS FORCED TO GOD****IT, and now you should too. **** Quagsire, counter my Drapion first.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
What we need to do is make some rules, and then completely start over, either in this thread or in an entirely new one.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
It's W4M!!! I agree with you, I think the rules need to be refined and updated, possibly in a new thread. Also, I think everyone needs to start being more careful about the counters they post. No more "I think this will work, but I'm too lazy". If you're going to post a counter please put in the extra effort to make sure it works. It may mean running calcs, or it may mean just looking things over quickly to make sure you're not about fail in an epic fashion.

WouW

Smash Lord
Wii4Mii 99 said:
Pokémon Counter Game

Basically, what you do is, after someone posts a moveset for a Pokemon, you post a Pokemon with a moveset that counters what the above person posted. For example, let's say member A posts a moveset of a Pokemon (to counter the previous poster's Pokemon). Then, member B comes in and posts this Pokemon because it counters member A Pokemon:

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Sand Veil/Jolly
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
Earthquake
Night Slash
Stone Edge
Swords Dance

Then, member C would come along and post this Pokemon because it counters member B's Pokemon:

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Leaf Guard/Adamant
252Spe/252Atk/4HP
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Return
Synthesis

And then this process repeats itself.

Now, there are obviously rules:

1) Only BL and below are allowed. OU Pokémon and Ubers are not allowed.

2) Don't post stuff like:

Slaking @ Choice Band
Truant/Adamant
252Atk
Giga Impact
Filler
Filler
Filler

This is because the person that posts after you doesn't know what your posted Pokemon's other moves are, so they wouldn't know if their Pokemon counters yours or not. So, make sure to fill everything out. Don't forget to add a full EV spread, as well. This is what you should have, although you don't have to apply by this particular format:

Pokemon @ Item
Ability/Nature
EVs
move 1
move 2
move 3
move 4

Then you can post a small explanation as to why this Pokemon counters the other one.

2) Remember what a counter is: A Pokemon that can safely switch into any of the attacks from the Pokemon it wants to counter and can immediately pose a threat to the Pokemon it wants to counter or make the Pokemon it wants to counter switch-out while not being threatened in any way by the Pokemon it wants to counter.

3) Decide on ONE move per move slot. Don't post things like:

Crunch/Night Slash
Waterfall/Hydro Pump
Earthquake/Ice Fang
Rain Dance

4) Assume that all Pokés have 31 IVs in each stat, unless things like Gyro Ball/Trick Room are used.

5) Don't assume Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock. Don't use these also.

6) Hail from Abomasnow is only assumed for five turns/Pokémon. Otherwise induced weather is also only assumed for five (eight if extending rocks are used) turns. Same with Trick Room, Reflect or Light Screen.

7) Don't use Explosion, Selfdestruct, Mean Look, Memento, Baton Pass or U-Turn.

8) 'lol switch' is not a way to avoid being countered.

9) Don't assume Critical Hits, unless you're supposed to land crits. (Super Luck Scope Lens Absol using Night Slash, for example.)

10) Don't assume max damage all the time.

11) Don't counter using Focus Sash. Focus Sash is only allowed if not necessary to counter the other Pokémon.

12) If a Pokémon can't harm Shedinja, don't be lame and put that down as a counter.

13) Be sure that your counter works. Don't be like 'i think it works, but too lazy to confirm'.

14) For Choiced movesets, make sure that ALL moves work against what it's supposed to counter. For example, don't post a Choiced Slaking with Shadow Claw on something like Lopunny, as Shadow Claw would not be able to beat the previous counter.
I tweaked/updated this ruleset. All that needs to be added is a starting Poké and then this can be posted. (Unless something's missing.)

Now who gets the honor of posting this in a new thread?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
I suppose I would, seeing as how I created the original.

Should I just post the new thread, though? Or should I get permission from a mod?

c3gill

Smash Ace
Flygon is OU.
Flygon WAS most certainly and definatly a BL tier pokemon- http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29788 should do it for your OU-speak.

However, as the temporary metagame has been banished to OU/UU (this means no BL, so many pokemon that were previously BL have been jacked up to OU (like poor flygon) and just as many have been shot down to UU)- http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/ - i believe this game needs to be stopped altogether, not moved to a new thread.

Unless you are suggesting a UU/NU/NFE Counter game, or something similar. that might work, but anything with BL in its rules doesnt work at the moment.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Only Flygon, Rhyperior and Empoleon were "Jacked up" to OU levels and that was because their metagames had been fleshed out further causing higher usage(Which is what controls tier levels) Flygon deserves OU as he's one of the most usable scarfer/banders in the game. The UU/BL merge never mattered to the game as we were only using UU/BL's to begin with.

c3gill

Smash Ace
I hope you can see that that list is one and a half years old and doesn't even have a UU tier.
Everything that is not under OU, BL, or Uber is UU/NU. There is no point in defining a specific list, because they are declaring everything that is NOT UU, therefore anything that is not in the list is UU/NU. and those tiers might as well be mashed as is.

And i think joining UU and BL is terrible. My old UU team now blows :(

Top Bottom