• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "ZOMG Luigi's Tier Position" Thread

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.

High
Marth
Wario
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Diddy
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

Middle
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Shiek

Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Captain Falcon
Just a thread within THIS section of the forums to discuss your opinions about the Tier placing of our main. What are your thoughts ("Luigi is a higher Tier than Mario? LIEK OMFG NO WAIZ")? Tier or not, I have one main, and one main only (for better or worse).

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Given the tourney results I think we were given a lucky break godsend here!

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Looks like Luigi players need to step it up if hes gonna ever break mid tier

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
yea only like me and vist and ultra.......
Game, Set and Match lol. That's exactly what I mean. But really in my case I still don't feel comfortable using Luigi at tournaments, plus, I just don't have the time to practice like I used to.

Also, Mario's power is being made clear, at least in Puerto Rico, a 10 year old boy got 7th place in a recent tournament... He knew about spacing, all of Mario's techs and tricks, it was fun to watch him beat a lot of other players jaja. Also, a player from the Dominican Republic is visiting PR and at the moment has beaten a lot of the major players so that's something.

The real problem is that that Mario and Luigi have a steeper learning curve than a lot of the other characters. Therefore, a lot of people just go like, meh, no he's to hard to use (or I lose to easily) let's use this said character then.

KC18

Smash Journeyman
I agree with boss8, luigi should bottom of high, but ye we just gotta crush in tournies more, which definately will happen, i believe that luigi's position will raise. and i feel there are a lot of good luigi players who just haven't been really reconized but will come through and rep luigi good.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I know guys who have tourney level Marios but don't go to tourneys because they don't have that option, plus most guys don't have enough faith in their skills as mario or luigi to risk a tourney with them. At the present time, i'll use GW for metaknight, but everyone else i'll use luigi. I am not saying i am tourney level, but i don't think i would do too poorly at a tourney with luigi, if i could find one to go to.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I consider myself a tourny level Luigi, only problem is I can only go to a few tournies. I'm working on getting around more now that I have that option, but so far I have only made it to two. Neither of which were that notable (One ~40 man EWU monthly, and PAX '08). The first of which was my first tourny, of course, where I was ***** by a MK. The second I almost broke the top 16 but was knocked out by Praxis... Point being, you'll be hearing a lot more from me in the months to come. :D

TheMann

Smash Ace
I'm a tourney level Luigi too i think. I'll use Luigi against anybody but DDD (infinite grab should be banned...) I just get ignored cuz I'm from the Midwest I guess.

Anyways I like that placing for Luigi. If you look at the character rankings list u would expect him to be bottom tier which he clearly is not.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Hey, I'm Dominican. =D

This position is a gift from God, considering his abysmal tournament results. I think I'm good, at least good enough to make it past a good few match sets, but I'm afraid I'll fail massively. I guess once I feel confident in a few years...

If only more Luigis, Toon Links and Marios showed up at tournaments... Then I'd be happy. The Mario Bros. need to be higher! Honestly though, I'm surprised Mario is so low!

EDIT: WTF is Wario doing up there?!

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
I got 65/303 at the recent axis tourney...

I had an off-day though....Really.....ITS NOT A JOHN >_< LOL

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
And also to add on that...ROFL did really good for Luigi too...i think he got 25/303 at that tourney

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I think Luigi's position on this list is fine, honestly what character is he better then thats ahead of him?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
luigi should be at the bottom of high....and mario should be the top of mid.......
This great Mario Bros player speaks the truth. Except I think Mario'd a bit lower than that, mid-high mid? Of course, Boss8 knows more about Mario than I do, so i'll take his word for it.

I've been trying so hard to main the Mario Bros, that's what i'm working on (and Game and Watch, maybe DK). It would be great to go to tourneys and see Mario/Luigi in the top 8 often, but i'd use Luigi a bit more than Mario. Me and my friend wanted to go to tourneys and kill witha Mario Bros team in fire flower costume, it would be great.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
thats not an excuse man luigi ***** and we should simply make that clear you could use seconds for mks so what we get owned by mks he gives everyone a hard time but it doesnt matter if we play one match with your second if you ***** the rest of the tourney with luigi

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
As long as metaknight is around you have DK, GW and the like to take care of that punk.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I think Luigi's position on this list is fine, honestly what character is he better then thats ahead of him?
To answer your question:

Luigi has priority over a lot of other characters moves, as well as a superior aerial game. The problem with luigi is that he is not seen (almost in no cases) at tournaments. Luigi can also kill at extremely low percents with his up+b or with his up angled fsmash at 86%~90ish% fresh (depending on the character).

So basically he has potential the real question is, does anyone want to prove that potential?

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
i just hate the fact people think mks are unbeatable. just cause their top tier doesnt mean they are unbeatable , i mean fox was top tier in melee was he unbeatable ? of course not , were they hard to beat ?? ask ken

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Meh hopefully in the future luigi becomes a bigger threat in the competitive scene. But for now, i like his current placing on the tier lists it honestly sounds about right. Im goin to Ch4 so HOPEully i wont screw it up with luigi too bad lol.

Course knowin my luck ill be in a pool match with mks and D3s xD.

chic

Smash Ace
I went to the MGC a couple of weeks ago and made it to the 3rd round (I lost a close match against a Marth). It was funny because people there acted like they didn't even know Luigi was in Brawl! When the people who I beat found out they were playing a Luigi they acted like it was going to be an easy win. You should of seen the surprised look on their faces when I demolished them. During my matches I could hear alittle crowd behind me commenting on how they never knew Luigi could kick ***. It was great! Theres a big time tourny coming up in November for me and I've been training really hard for that. Hopefully I do well with Luigi and get him some respect.
It's only a matter of time for Luigi!

KC18

Smash Journeyman
**** i wish i could make it to ch4, i would like to represent luigi with all the other luigi players.... good luck to you guys who are going. destroy as many mk's as possible lol

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
hope so and if you can make vids :) of tourneys win or lose i bet we can all learn a thing or to from watching

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is definitely in need of a more players to bring him out of the lower tiers, but comparing him to Mario doesn't feel right. The two are finally completly different characters.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I think Luigi will be high tier when it's all said and done. Firepunch is too powerful and when someone figures out how to do it on a regular basis, MK's and G&W's will be getting KO'ed at 55%.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I think Luigi will be high tier when it's all said and done. Firepunch is too powerful and when someone figures out how to do it on a regular basis, MK's and G&W's will be getting KO'ed at 55%.
Its not so much how well you can do it, its how many mistakes the other guy makes and how well you capitalize on it. Plenty of Luigi mainers already have that down.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Fire punch didn't help Luigi's placement much in Melee.
True, but I think its more of a factor in Brawl now, at least to me, i find more applications for it than in melee. However, we won't get the simple wavedash > UPB sexiness anymore :[.

Top Bottom