• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official West Virginia Thread - Cilantro Smash 3 (July 19)

garm993

Smash Cadet
We are active in here again? It's that time of the year again to start getting ready for APEX 2014. Wish there was more people in Morgantown for any kind of smash lol . My Jiggs needs practice xD

Buford

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I live a bit north of pittsburgh, but I go to college in Bethany Wv. Anyone closer than morgantown?

But, I should be able to visit you morgantown guys some time if you want, im not good, and ive been out of it for a while, but smash is smash

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to try to get some more interest in Smash in WV. Apparently there's people who play, but don't get on Smashboards. I'd totally like to get some sort of scene started and get some tournaments or something started. We need some good representation on the whole smash scene in general.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Yeah I definitely agree with that. And Richard, there are a few brawl players (I believe garm is one, actually).

I know Shake is up in morgantown, as well as a few others. If you know where Stalnaker is, that's where most of the smash goes down (melee, though). Not sure if you'd be interested in that.

It would also help if smashboards worked lol

Buford

Smash Apprentice
Are there weeklys going on in wvu? My girlfriend is a grad student there, so I could be down for a day or two of melee soon if anyone is interested.

Or if anyone is near bethany, that works too.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Not official weeklies, but they get together frequently (and almost certainly on the weekend). I'll have to get a spokesperson from there on this page.

Tstemp

Smash Rookie
I live in Morgantown, attending WVU and would love to play/practice with anybody nearby! Just recently started looking into the Smash community. Would love to try this on a competitive level. Would strongly appreciate any practice/ gatherings to improve skills!

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Lol I just responded to your PM and noticed you answered a few of my questions here. Anyway, I know there are a decent amount of Melee players around that I'm sure would want to play. I think they usually play in Stalnaker (the dorm downtown), and I'll ask one of them to respond here sometime and give some info. They'll be on break now, though, so you might have to wait until school in back in session.

If you play Brawl, I'm not really sure who you should talk to. I think garm is the main Brawl guy in the state, so you might want to ask him. I believe he lives in Morgantown, so that would work out pretty well I think. They have tournaments and stuff at the Four Horses in the mall, and maybe at Save Point on High Street. Hopefully they'll integrate Melee into that as well.

Tstemp

Smash Rookie
Awesome! I'm mainly am in search on Melee. However, always am down for a few brawl games as well. Appreciate all the info! Are there ever melee tournys/gatherings in WV? or is that typically outside state type of deal? Also, if you dont mind, could you point me to someone to contact about playing at Stalnaker?

garm993

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, Save Point went under actually a year ago today. It was the end of the world you know and their business too :/ Four Horsemen is the place for everything now. Group to join for video games period for Four Horsemen https://www.facebook.com/groups/363078810493705/

I have cancelled my trip for APEX due to classes being dumb and starting early too. I do main Brawl and play a little Melee. I would love to play more to get my Jiggs good. I'm really into Project M 3.0 though if you guys have heard of it. Brawl mod that makes it play like Melee. I'll try to remember to keep the post updated if I head up to the Horsemen soon. I always take my Wii and Brawl/controllers. Just no copy of Melee so hook me up somebody.

Tstemp

Smash Rookie
Horsemen is table top/gaming etc store in the mall right? I have a copy of melee I can bring if there is ever a group going down to play. Would love to play.

garm993

Smash Cadet
Yep. I mean of course the main downfall is their tv isn't a CRT, but I guess you have to manage with what you have lol.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Do you guys think we should get a WV smash Facebook page going or something? I know a few people that would probably join who never get on smashboards. That might be easier to coordinate WVU smash. FinalForm, PseudoForm, and Shake are the main players at WVU, and they have a bunch of newer-level players they play with.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, Tstemp, there aren't really official melee tournaments in WV. Just unofficial Brawl/64 tournaments that WVU/Four Horsemen/Other sktch establishments throw. We tried getting a tournament going at one point, but there wasn't a ton of out-of-state interest in it. We'll probably need to improve our scene a bit for that.

However, there are often tournaments in Pittsburgh (pretty big ones, too) which is pretty close, of course. I think if you guys start playing, we could talk about going up to one (Me and Krox could travel up from Charleston. We were gonna do that anyway this Spring semester.) It would make it a ton easier if you had a car, because I think only one player up there has a car available. Anyway, those are details we would work out later if we wanna go to a tournament.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Also, anyone notice the edit button being sketchy? I was gonna edit my 1st post, but it just deleted everything lol.

This post was necessary.

garm993

Smash Cadet
A Facebook page would probably be a grand idea. Anything to Pittsburgh, I would just a take a bus from Morgantown for lol.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Ok cool...um does anyone want to start it? I'm not especially Facebook savvy, but I can make it if you guys want. Either way, there's definitely some people I can invite who will hopefully help out with smash get-togethers.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Ok cool, thanks for making that. I either joined or attempted to join, so I'm gonna invite some fools ASAP.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Alright! It looks like we're finally getting stuff going on the FB page. I'll add that to the OP.

It'll probably be a really good idea, because the turnover rate of WV players is really high. They post once on Smashboards asking about WV smash and never show up again, probably because no one posts XD. Hopefully this will get all the WV players out of the woodwork.

XFinal_FormX

Smash Rookie
I live in Morgantown, attending WVU and would love to play/practice with anybody nearby! Just recently started looking into the Smash community. Would love to try this on a competitive level. Would strongly appreciate any practice/ gatherings to improve skills!

Hey, yeah we play Melee every weekend, at Stalnaker Hall, like KrazyKnux said. When the next semester starts I would like to get everyone together to practice, most likely we'll go to the Fight Pitt tournament so we'll be practicing for that.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Any 64 players in WV? Wheeling area specifically? I'd happily drive to Motown as well. Looks like I'm going to have to dust off my good ol' melee Link since that scene is so much bigger...

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
I'm also relatively new to the smash scene here in WV, but I don't know of any 64 players period other than it being just for fun. There's a melee scene in Morgantown and a few people play in Charleston.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Any 64 players in WV? Wheeling area specifically? I'd happily drive to Motown as well. Looks like I'm going to have to dust off my good ol' melee Link since that scene is so much bigger...
Yeah, you might want to get that Melee disc ready! But yeah, I don't know of any actual 64 players. There was a dorm-wide 64 tournament at WVU this year and a lot of people showed up, but it's hard to say how many people actually knew what they were doing. The melee crew is much more organized lol.

mynameisdog4

Smash Apprentice
Most people are up in Morgantown so you're kind of screwed in Monroe. If you're near the state borders you might have more luck in a VA group.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Good looks, thanks for joining! It looks like setting up a Facebook group really was a good idea lol, I've never seen so many WV smashers in one spot.

And yeah, unfortunately Monroe is pretty far away from the rest of us. I know there are some people in Princeton, but I have no idea how to get a hold of them. Definitely look around the VA scene as well, but stick around and hopefully we can make something happen.

mynameisdog4

Smash Apprentice
The FB is growing fast too. I joined like a week ago and was the 17th member and now it's at 24.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
The FB is growing fast too. I joined like a week ago and was the 17th member and now it's at 24.
lol yeah, you shoulda seen it before then. I thought there were literally like 4 smashers in WV until my boy AaronScaring showed up. Now we're rounding them all up!

Top Bottom