• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official West Virginia Thread - Cilantro Smash 3 (July 19)

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
So, uh, the biggest problem with the Morgantown plan is the distance from the DC metropolitan area...

It's 3.5 hours and people around here really hate traveling. We are also, for the most part, poor as ****.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Knux, I have a question. Do you think ppl from pitt and md/va wouldnt wanna roll up to morgantown simply because they dont wanna get *****? I say we host a tournament 1 week after Shellshocked and see if anyone shows up (just to see if theyre not scurred). But in all honesty, id really like to see some legit smashers visiting us, since its tough for us to get to tournaments or monthlies, weeklies, or whatever with our horrendous situation with getting rides :(
Unfortunately Krox, I believe that may be the case. We will definitely have to test out our theory soon, and report it to the Smash community.

More like.. you guys should just travel more. Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

I didn't even namesearch! But name a $ amount, baby.
We always do the traveling :( Though it seems like I post in a lot more tournament threads than I attend, we have been to a few in MD/VA/NC/PA/OH and even NY. So we're hoping soon some people come up to see us =D We've improved a ton as well, so i figure we'll be getting high places soon, so hopefully that'll create more of an incentive...

So, uh, the biggest problem with the Morgantown plan is the distance from the DC metropolitan area...

It's 3.5 hours and people around here really hate traveling. We are also, for the most part, poor as ****.
Yeah I know, and that's been the main reason we haven't attended more MD/VA tournaments unfortunately. We've been to a few tournaments in Pittsburgh/Ohio though and they're relatively close, so I think they would come down as well. So my ultimate hope is that we find a good date sometime (maybe after we attend another MD/PA tournament) and if enough WV/PA people can show up, perhaps it would be worth it for MD/VA to bring a car up. In any case, we just wanna smash so we'll continue trying our best to hold/attend tournaments =D

Met

Smash Ace
YO are you guys interested in the tournament at VT in blacksburg on the 5th? next weekend?
Redds going to be there... i think. Yo redd you back here now right?

Met

Smash Ace
yo redd i will be there no doubt I'm gonna enter with my 11 month old son in teams and **** in brawl haha. With all the brawl scrubs i think i could do it.

I will be practicing for this for melee just to shake off all the rust so you better watch out redd.

anyway all kidding aside you guys should come to this we have some decent players, not including myself. But I'ma still **** you.

Redd is sumeet still at tech? he has been doing pretty well from what i hear.

sucks being retired bro. real full time jobs and being married are for chumps.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Hahahah. Let's goes.

Idk if he does. I would assume so... but we don't really talk or play for whatever reason.

You... can play my Peach.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Yo Redd, you gotta roll up to Shell Shocked! Travel more imo!! haha just kidding, i def want to play you sometime though.

Met

Smash Ace
yo austin east coast eddie might make an appearance. in fact ss4ricky might come as well. that **** is old school. and you guys still haven't answered my question do you have any recent vids up and are you interested in the tourney this upcoming weekend

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
No we don't have any recent vids up yet, unfortunately : ( KrazyKrox has a couple, but we've been looking around for tournaments with good recording so we can get a few.

Anyway, I do want to roll up to that tournament, but a few of our guys here are busy this weekend so we probably can't get over there. But, if you happen to hold any during Winter Break, then we probably will be able to, so just let me know.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
lol i figured...I was just hoping cause it's much closer to Charleston than Morgantown, so if there happens to be any dates when you guys are still there and i'm in Charleston, i'd definitely be interested.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
lol why do you wanna be at the top so bad? It's not like it's a power rankings list or anything LOL.

That MM sounds intriguing though...hmmm

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
In the meantime tho, Shiva and Chip rose through the list, and Mexican took a drop.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Christmas break now, so it'll have to wait until January. We can hold it at anytime tbh, i just want to gauge who might be able to come and when would be good.

Wish i got some more input! I'll try and ask some people at Hope 4 if they'd be interested to head down.

Max0Pinion

Smash Rookie
A couple friends and I are interested in going to some melee tournaments, and I live in Morgantown/might go to WVU next year.
I play a pretty nice Samus, and working on a getting better with the other characters, but my friends and I have played so much together, that we aren't improving much any more. We all know each others game play and strategies so well, that improving is difficult, and we are looking for people to play against outside of our little group, but all of us are still good nonetheless. Basically, I and a few other friends would definitely go to some matches or w/e at WVU

if these tournaments/matches/friendlies or whatever you'd like to call them are still happening, a message on this or a PM to me would be much appreciated :) We'd love to make it to a few throughout the rest of the school year

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Awesome! We're always looking for new players, so we're definitely looking forward to playing you guys =D

Think you guys would be able to smash sometime this week? We shouldn't have much going on, so just let me know if any time is good for you. How many of you play together? And what characters? We have 3 people that live here together and 3 regular visitors, so we could get some pretty decent-sized smashfests going regularly if you wanted. And maybe play some teams cause we never seem to practice that lol.

There are a few upcoming tournaments we're looking into attending (March 10th, and April 7th are the closest) so we could definitely help you guys improve by then if you were interested in going. And if you guys have a car to drive, that might be really helpful. Like I said, we have 6 guys here that go to tournaments, but generally only 1 car available, so that always creates problems :( But hopefully we'll figure something out!

Anyway, feel free to message me/reply here for more details! Hopefully we can smash soon =D

Max0Pinion

Smash Rookie
Awesome! We're always looking for new players, so we're definitely looking forward to playing you guys =D

Think you guys would be able to smash sometime this week? We shouldn't have much going on, so just let me know if any time is good for you. How many of you play together? And what characters? We have 3 people that live here together and 3 regular visitors, so we could get some pretty decent-sized smashfests going regularly if you wanted. And maybe play some teams cause we never seem to practice that lol.

There are a few upcoming tournaments we're looking into attending (March 10th, and April 7th are the closest) so we could definitely help you guys improve by then if you were interested in going. And if you guys have a car to drive, that might be really helpful. Like I said, we have 6 guys here that go to tournaments, but generally only 1 car available, so that always creates problems :( But hopefully we'll figure something out!

Anyway, feel free to message me/reply here for more details! Hopefully we can smash soon =D
We can't wait to play either :D
And I'm not sure about when we will be able to play, but pretty soon hopefully, I'll talk to them tomorrow or soon and find out when we can get together and go for a bit. And there are 4 of us total, I play Samus mainly, and like I said, working on a few other characters, they all play a lot of the characters, but Peach, Young Link, and Puff are their mains.

Where are the tournaments? I really want to try to go to a few, but it depends where for all of us lol

and like I said, we are all pretty good, BUT, we don't get to play against many other people, so we've capped at where we can be until we can play more people, and learning from online is ok, but with limited time to try together, and limited people, it's hard to improve. So, we may not be pro's at the game, but we all are above average, seems to have kind of different play styles than I've seen online from people, and each of us pick up new strategies and everything pretty fast, so we hope we can improve fast enough for you guys :p

BTW, I looked at a couple of your videos on youtube, you play a really good fox haha and I've seen Husband before, does he still play at WVU with you guys?

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Nice, I'm liking the character selections. We all pretty much play Fox, Falco, and Marth (though we all have multiple other characters we can play pretty well) so that'll be refreshing. Just let me know whenever you guys will be able to and we'll try and set something up.

The tournaments are in Howland, OH, and Pittsburgh, PA. The Pittsburgh one will be nice since it'll be the bigger of the two, and it's even closer than the other. Plus there are buses that run to pittburgh, so everyone can get there without a problem. But i'm hoping we improve enough to go to both!

And yeah I understand your dilemma. We had a crew of about 5 players in High School, and we never traveled. We got pretty good playing against each other a ton, but it capped out. Once I started playing with other players and at tournaments, we learned so much more (and quick, too!) But as long as you guys have the advanced techniques down (watching videos are good too) then you'll be able to improve very fast with us, I think we give pretty good advice =D

And thanks! Most of my vids are pretty old, except the one against KirbyKaze, but i'm hoping to attend more tournaments (and place well!) to get recorded more. We also have a recording setup here in case you guys wanted to get recorded and ask for advice or whatnot. Husband graduated last year so he doesn't go here anymore, unfortunately, but he still visits from time to time.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to playing you guys soon! I think we'll all be able to improve plenty =D

Max0Pinion

Smash Rookie
Hey, we actually only have 3 people who would go often. And we don't all have down all the advanced techniques like wave-dashing and L-canceling, but we are all working on it and getting better. I can L-cancel and wave-dash with my characters, I just need to work on using it more often in matches, and the others are close to being about to use both the same as I.

we would probably be able to make it to the Pittsburgh tournament.

And though I am sad to hear Husband graduated, I'm also a little relieved haha, me being a Samus main, and my friend being a Peach main, we wouldn't be able to do anything against him haha...

Where do you play? I'm not sure if we can all play within the next few weeks, due to school events, and our break where we will not all be in the area. But this weekend, I might be able to get together for a bit and play if you had planned doing that already. Let me know what you thing.

and we are all excited to play with you all too, hopefully we can pretty soon :D

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
3 people sounds pretty good. We could easily have 6+ people smashfests, and we can set up 2 TVs (maybe 3 even, esp. if you guys have a gamecube handy.)

Yeah, if you know what advanced techs to be using, it's really just a matter of doing them all the time, even if it's not really beneficial. But that'll make you more comfortable with doing them, as well as finding places where it's really useful and you'll be able to improve beyond where you were before using them.

Speaking of which, i just somewhat recently started applying shield drops into my game. I really just did them all the time, like every time i was on a platform haha. And now I'm comfortable with them, and i'm seeing sooo many spots to use them when i couldn't have done anything there before.

So I'd say work on those basic techs (l-canceling, wavedashing, SHFFLing, teching, and general movement on the ground and platforms) and it'll open up a lot more doors. From there we can work on specific things. Me and Krox will try and help you guys out with specific things to do and watch out for. We have guys of all skill levels here, so that's a real good atmosphere to learn from as well. Cause you'll have a few guys to learn from, a few guys to go even with, and a few that i'm sure you could beat as well.

And yeah, it's too bad Husband is gone but there are still plenty of guys around. Maybe if he and Wife visit again this year we can all get together.

The Pittsburgh tournament should be real good, so we'll look into it for sure. I think we could get all of you to be pretty prepared by the time it comes around. I want WV to represent real strong =D

We play at Stalnaker hall if you guys know where that is. It's downtown and pretty close to the Mount Lair. And this weekend we will be smashing i'm sure, especially if you can head down. Just let me know and we can work it out!

Looking forward to playing you soon! Practice up and WV will take tournaments by storm real soon haha =D

Max0Pinion

Smash Rookie
I'll definitely be able to go this weekend, I live in motown, and I'll be home this weekend, I'm not sure about the others, I'll ask what they would like to do and see what they will do.

we usually play in our club room, but that was taken away, so not all of us have been/can practice as much right now, but we are trying to work on it as much as possible as soon as possible.

the level difference people is a great thing, it'll make learning easy and getting better even easier :) I can't wait

I can go this saturday almost any time, let me know if you are playing then, and what time would be good for you, PM me your phone number, and we'll text and figure out the plans together, it'll be a lot easier that way haha

I wish I could have played him, hopefully I can sometime, and I know my friend would like to play him and wife, since he is a peach main, he would be able to learn a lot from bother of them :)

Hopefully we can got far in the Pitt tourney, I'd love to be able to help putting WV on the scales in a tourney :D hopefully we will be ready by then.

I live a mile away from there, so it won't be too difficult getting there, I just need to know if I'll need help getting in the building in any way.

hopefully this weekend(especially saturday) works out, I'd love to play for a bit and learn some stuff soon from all of you

HussanK

Smash Rookie
Hey, I am the Peach in the group with Max, i am just replying to let you know that i am on the forum as well, and will most likely be our groups main form of transportation, just letting you know :awesome:

AwesomeEevee

Smash Rookie
Hey!

This is Chip, and I'm just dropping in to say that I'm excited to hear that it looks like we'll have some players coming up this weekend. I'll be able to play hopefully, and it will be excellent to get to play some people outside of our standard group.

I can bring up a setup and a TV if you guys think it's necessary. Just let me know!

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Glad to see some life in this thread! It was getting a bit lonely in here by myself haha. Anyway,

I can go this saturday almost any time, let me know if you are playing then, and what time would be good for you, PM me your phone number, and we'll text and figure out the plans together, it'll be a lot easier that way haha

I wish I could have played him, hopefully I can sometime, and I know my friend would like to play him and wife, since he is a peach main, he would be able to learn a lot from bother of them :)

Hopefully we can got far in the Pitt tourney, I'd love to be able to help putting WV on the scales in a tourney :D hopefully we will be ready by then.

I live a mile away from there, so it won't be too difficult getting there, I just need to know if I'll need help getting in the building in any way.

hopefully this weekend(especially saturday) works out, I'd love to play for a bit and learn some stuff soon from all of you
Yep, Saturday sounds good to me. We're thinking sometime in the evening perhaps? Maybe 6 or so, and our smashfests just last til whenever haha. But if any other times are good for you, just let me know. I've rounded up a few guys that are interested in showing up! I'll PM you my number now.

And I'm sure you'll get to play Husband and Wife pretty soon, as well as other big names! Me and Krox are on their level, so you'll get some pretty high level practice in any case. And Byped, Chippo, and Shake are getting there too =D

And, conveniently enough, I secondary Peach/Marth so I could probably give you some good practice with them, and maybe some tips too!

And we're gonna take the Pitt tournament by storm haha. Usually it's Canada that tops out those tournaments, but this time I want it to be WV, so let's do it!

Anyway, we're all looking forward to playing some new smashers. Getting in the building is not too difficult; you can just walk in up until 9pm, and in between 9pm-12am you need to be signed in (not a problem) so don't worry about that. As long as you show up before midnight then it's not a problem. If you show up after midnight then we have to set an alarm to get you in LOL.

Hey, I am the Peach in the group with Max, i am just replying to let you know that i am on the forum as well, and will most likely be our groups main form of transportation, just letting you know :awesome:
Ok awesome. I'm really looking forward to some more Peach practice. I'm the only one that plays Peach around here (though we're starting to focus on some more characters for better practice, so hopefully Chippo picks up a nice Peach soon.) And i'm glad you guys have smashboards accounts. Everyone around here does, but no one posts here -.- The smash scene is definitely alive here, but this thread is derelict most of the time.

Hey!

This is Chip, and I'm just dropping in to say that I'm excited to hear that it looks like we'll have some players coming up this weekend. I'll be able to play hopefully, and it will be excellent to get to play some people outside of our standard group.

I can bring up a setup and a TV if you guys think it's necessary. Just let me know!
Chippo! Glad to see you posting finally haha :3 Gonna be a nice smashfest imo. As far as another TV goes, we actually have 2 set up in the lounge now (thanks for Mark Thompson's younger brother) so me and Nishan can use our Gamecube/Wii for those setups. I also have another TV we can bring out if we need a 3rd setup, but we would need your gamecube. 2 Setups will probably work out pretty nicely, and 3 is a possibility if a lot of people show up.

Looking forward to it! =D

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
We need guys like you down here! Besides our little crew, no one here is legit!

Diaphone

Smash Rookie
Soooo... is the smash scene really this dead here? I'm a new grad student here at WVU and I was wondering if there are any smash happenings/ tournaments that go on here. While I started with Smash, recently I've been playing other fighters such as street fighter and marvel vs capcom competitively instead. (AKA I'm a bit out of practice haha) It would be nice to meet others in the area.

The only other thing I saw about smash in morgantown was the LAN center called save point. I heard they have weekly smash gatherings, but I haven't checked it out since it seems mostly casual (I could be wrong?) Anyone else know about this?

garm993

Smash Cadet
Soooo... is the smash scene really this dead here? I'm a new grad student here at WVU and I was wondering if there are any smash happenings/ tournaments that go on here. While I started with Smash, recently I've been playing other fighters such as street fighter and marvel vs capcom competitively instead. (AKA I'm a bit out of practice haha) It would be nice to meet others in the area.

The only other thing I saw about smash in morgantown was the LAN center called save point. I heard they have weekly smash gatherings, but I haven't checked it out since it seems mostly casual (I could be wrong?) Anyone else know about this?
In general, there really isn't much of a smash scene here. I go to Save Point a lot and I consider Brawl to be the more competitive smash game due to more people play it there. There are several of us that play melee a little but not really "amazing". I am truthfully the only super competitive person out of everybody down there and go out of state from time to time. Any questions, just ask.

Diaphone

Smash Rookie
In general, there really isn't much of a smash scene here. I go to Save Point a lot and I consider Brawl to be the more competitive smash game due to more people play it there. There are several of us that play melee a little but not really "amazing". I am truthfully the only super competitive person out of everybody down there and go out of state from time to time. Any questions, just ask.
That's cool, I play Brawl too. When do you guys play there? I'll come check it out when I can. Also, how much do you have to pay (or at all?)

garm993

Smash Cadet
That's cool, I play Brawl too. When do you guys play there? I'll come check it out when I can. Also, how much do you have to pay (or at all?)
$4 an hour or $15 to play until close and on Wednesdays they have half price day passes ($8) if you like their page and tag them in a Facebook status. Let them know Garm sent you if you do go down so I get bonuses for referring you. They have smash gatherings on Saturdays at 6pm. Do keep in mind that is not their only game. They also have Street Fighter and MvC 3. I get down there when I can so I'll let you know.

Diaphone

Smash Rookie
$4 an hour or $15 to play until close and on Wednesdays they have half price day passes ($8) if you like their page and tag them in a Facebook status. Let them know Garm sent you if you do go down so I get bonuses for referring you. They have smash gatherings on Saturdays at 6pm. Do keep in mind that is not their only game. They also have Street Fighter and MvC 3. I get down there when I can so I'll let you know.
Alright, cool. I'll probably check it out next Saturday. I'd love some competition, so I hope you get down there then too :). That's cool that people show for other fighters, trying to see if theres any local competition I don't know about.. How many people usually come?

garm993

Smash Cadet
Alright, cool. I'll probably check it out next Saturday. I'd love some competition, so I hope you get down there then too :). That's cool that people show for other fighters, trying to see if theres any local competition I don't know about.. How many people usually come?
I probably will be in late on Saturday if you wish to get a day pass. I am working security for the WVU game so the sooner everyone leaves the stadium, the sooner I get there. I haven't been to a weekly Smash event yet due to going to Fairmont State, but we normally average 8ish when we have tournaments. My one friends that plays Smash, SSFIV, and MvC 3 should be there.

Top Bottom