• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Waluigi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
They probably will. They are planing to add 10-15 more characters. Waluigi has a great chance of being in brawl even if the only reason is that the developers said to themselves: "well, we did add Wario........."

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
BIRDMAN22 said:
They probably will. They are planing to add 10-15 more characters. Waluigi has a great chance of being in brawl even if the only reason is that the developers said to themselves: "well, we did add Wario........."
I'd like to give Masahiro Sakurai more credit than your average forum flunkie.

PLEASE keep in mind that, while Nintendo is involved in production (obviously), the game is being directed by MASAHIRO SAKURAI, and is being created by HIS own PERSONAL team of workers, or Sora. They are not the people who makes the Mario Party series, or Mario Tennis, or anything else. Sakurai worked at Hal for a long time, and then he left Nintendo (although obviously he's returned for this). That means that he doesn't likely feel any special kind of love for Waluigi. Sakurai has never worked directly with the character, and he's ultimately in charge of deciding who is in the game and who is not.

Sakurai picks big names, and he picks obscure characters, he doesn't seem like the inbetween. And by the inbetween, I mean characters that have appeared in many games and have a fanbase (how is beyond me), but either A) don't appear as major players in anything but party games, or B) don't call up bits of Nintendo lore that have been forgotten to be reexplored.

The usual suspects make up this middle ground that I'm talking about:

Major Players:
Mario
Peach
Luigi
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Fox
Kirby
Zelda
Metaknight
Solid Snake
Wario
Link
Samus
Pikachu
Marth
Mewtwo
Falco
Ganondorf
Young Link
King Dedede
Sonic
Stafy

Average Players:
Waluigi
Petey Piranha
Daisy
Koopa Kid
Waddle Dee
Most Pokemon
Slippy
Peppy
Impa

Nostalgic/Bit Players:
Jigglypuff
Ness
Ice Climbers
Sheik
Mr. Game and Watch
Pichu
Pit
Roy
Dr. Mario
Geno
Birdo
Skull Kid
Zero Suit Samus
Balloon Fighter

See what I'm getting at? The average players are BORING. Major characters and characters that are old or only appeared briefly are fun and interesting.

As an aside, there are plenty more Average Players than what I listed. For the full list, just check 95% of the topics in this room.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
McFox
What classifies certain characters as major players. Peach was rarely playable in the many, many games she was in and just recently starred in a game. I'm not a LOZ fan but Zelda was never playable and the smash bros version of Ganondorf was only in one game (two if you count aged version in WW). Waluigi was at least playable (even if they were spin-off games). Even from the list metaknight(as cool as he will be) was never a star character nor the main villian so I don't get the title "major player"

As far as Nostaglic goes....Pichu really? Pichu was only in the game because of the Pichachu connection. Waluigi has grown a fan base that even you can see and even though he has been in a few games he still has a high level of mystery that many people would like to know more about. The most popular reason most people have stated about him not being included is that he hasn't had his own game. Neither did Geno but you and many others still want him in the game, same goes for skull kid. The fact is everyone has characters that they want to see in the game and some that they don't want to see in the game. He still has a high chance of being included because nintendo and SAKURAI will lean more towards Mario characters than any other nintendo characters (which is evident).

Besides, how can you call Waluigi boring. He is the reincarnation of that dudley do right villian and that alone warrants an appearance in brawl alongside his partner in crime, Wario.

Edit: Flunkie?..... that hurt :(

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
BIRDMAN22 said:
McFox
What classifies certain characters as major players. Peach was rarely playable in the many, many games she was in and just recently starred in a game. I'm not a LOZ fan but Zelda was never playable and the smash bros version of Ganondorf was only in one game (two if you count aged version in WW).
What classified them is major appearances in non-party games. Peach is Mario's girlfriend and appears in pretty much every game he does. Zelda has been in every pretty much every Zelda game to date. Ganondorf is the incarnation of Ganon, who has been Link's enemy in most games.

Waluigi was at least playable (even if they were spin-off games). Even from the list metaknight(as cool as he will be) was never a star character nor the main villian so I don't get the title "major player"
Waluigi is playable in PARTY games. Metaknight has appeared in most if not all Kirby games, and appears as Kirby's rival. You have to duel him in many Kirby games, and he's been playable in the recent Kirby games.

As far as Nostaglic goes....Pichu really? Pichu was only in the game because of the Pichachu connection.
"Nostalgic/BIT" players, meaning those who appeared briefly. Pichu is kind of a fluke anyway, since he was just a clone.

Waluigi has grown a fan base that even you can see and even though he has been in a few games he still has a high level of mystery that many people would like to know more about. The most popular reason most people have stated about him not being included is that he hasn't had his own game.
Wrong. I think he shouldn't be in because he's uninteresting and boring. It's not that he hasn't had his own game. It's that he hasn't even APPEARED in any one-player or major games. All he does is party appearances.

Neither did Geno but you and many others still want him in the game,
That's because he was a major star (<- pun) in one of the best games of all time.

same goes for skull kid.
Also appeared as the main antagonist in one of the best games of all time, not to mention being in Ocarina of Time and having been confirmed to be in Twilight Princess (as he was spotted in the trailer).

The fact is everyone has characters that they want to see in the game and some that they don't want to see in the game. He still has a high chance of being included because nintendo and SAKURAI will lean more towards Mario characters than any other nintendo characters (which is evident).
Yes, but why would SAKURAI include a character whom he's never worked with, on the basis of "He's Wario's brother"? WARIO has had two separate successful series, while Waluigi hasn't even appeared in either one. The fact that he's not in the Warioware series says wonders that Nintendo isn't concerned with Waluigi being joined at the hip to Wario.

I can just imagine the pitch now:

Random person: How about this for a character... Waluigi!
Sakurai: Well who is he?
Random person: Well, he wears the same suit as Wario, Mario, and Luigi, but it's purple!
Sakurai: ...uh-huh.
Random person: And he's Wario's brother!
Sakurai: Well, what does he do?
Random person: ...He throws Bob-ombs!
Sakurai: ...Anything else?
Random person: He holds a Piranha plant. But he's also evil and mysterious!
Sakurai: ...riiight.

Besides, how can you call Waluigi boring. He is the reincarnation of that dudley do right villian and that alone warrants an appearance in brawl alongside his partner in crime, Wario.
No, it doesn't. I'd much rather **** Dastardly just appear himself than have his crappy clone.

Drewz

Smash Cadet
I have, in a way, changed my mind. The mere fact that Waluigi hasn't done anything YET to deserve a spot in SSBB. Simply becuase he leaches off the success of Mario, Luigi and Wario should be no reason to get him in the game.

HOWEVER, Waluigi is my 2nd favorite character in the entire Mario universe. 2nd only to Luigi. He's fresh, diffrent (seriously), and mysterious. I do hope that he aligns with Wario and takes on Mario and Luigi in an adventure game.

At the moment, he hasn't done enough to deserve to be in SSBB.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
They were in for nostolagic puurposes, which every Smash game has. 64 had Ness and Jigglypuff, Melee had Ness, Jigglypuff, IC's. G&W and Dr. Mario, and at least they were the main characters in their games, as pointed out hundreds of times in this thread, Waluigi is just a useless character in pathetic spinoff games. And I think Sakurai himself said he found the IC's intresting.

Drewz

Smash Cadet
Ice Climbers were unique additions to Super Smash Bros. Simply becuase there's two of them. Waluigi won't be rather diffrent from Luigi I wouldn't imagine. It's hard for me to say for being a Waluigi fn, but he should not be in Brawl.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
McFox said:
No, it doesn't. I'd much rather **** Dastardly just appear himself than have his crappy clone.
That's to much hate for me to even argue. I bow gracefully.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
McFox said:
Random person: How about this for a character... Waluigi!
Sakurai: Well who is he?
Random person: Well, he wears the same suit as Wario, Mario, and Luigi, but it's purple!
Sakurai: ...uh-huh.
Random person: And he's Wario's brother!
Sakurai: Well, what does he do?
Random person: ...He throws Bob-ombs!
Sakurai: ...Anything else?
Random person: He holds a Piranha plant. But he's also evil and mysterious!
Sakurai: ...riiight..
Sakurai already knows who Waluigi is. He has a trophy in Smash Bros, remember? :) ...not that it increases Waluigi's chances at all. If Sakurai wants another Wario character, he'll probably continue to use Wario Ware characters for that, given that there are more than enough Mario-franchise exclusive characters (of which Waluigi is ironically one of). Mona (who always seems to get at least second bidding to Wario in the games far as I can tell and is also female, which I think Sakurai wants more of) comes to mind.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
toasty4you said:
This is a brilliant idea! I wonder what his taunt would be?
his taunt has to be the crotch chop lol, that was the best taunt ever in a nintendo game for me lol, anyways reason i think Waluigi is in is for he wasn't on sakurais suggested character list, and i'm pretty sure he was definently suggested, also as said earlier on in the thread, the moderate fan base of his could help him get in, and also i think i read he had a high percentage on the nintendo power poll, if this is all true then his chances of being in brawl are really high

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Nintendo Power Poll = who cares? I doubt Sakurai is looking to Nintendo Power for ideas. I doubt he checks this topic, either.

I've been reading this topic since its first post, and I have yet to see any REAL reason Waluigi should be in the game. Something unique, or even remotely interesting. The closest thing to that is that he holds a Piranha plant (why is anyone's guess), but if Sakurai wanted a fighting Piranha plant, he'd put in Petey (which I'd oppose just as much, but that's not a discussion for here).

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
McFox said:
Nintendo Power Poll = who cares? I doubt Sakurai is looking to Nintendo Power for ideas. I doubt he checks this topic, either.
No longer bowing.
Even if he dosen't check either one he is still going to listen to the fans and a lot of people would like to see Waluigi in brawl (even if only for an event match).
McFox said:
I've been reading this topic since its first post, and I have yet to see any REAL reason Waluigi should be in the game.
Do you have a real reason why Pichu or Doc where in melee, and none of that nostaglic stuff either. Doc only had one or two games that were Tetris ripoffs. I can't see how he would have developed a fanbase from that. Melee came out before I joined this forum but I can't imagine people were saying " lets have a younger version of link with the exact same moveset" but it happened.
McFox said:
The closest thing to that is that he holds a Piranha plant (why is anyone's guess)
Exactly. Why he does what he does is a mystery to us all. That is a reason he shold be in brawl. nintendo can use this as an opportunity to expand on his character. The can shed a little more light on his background or his relationship to other mushroom kingdom inhabitants. Just because you're against his addition dosen't mean we all should be. Some of us are looking forward to his inclusion to the smash bros roster.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
BIRDMAN22 said:
Do you have a real reason why Pichu or Doc where in melee, and none of that nostaglic stuff either.
Sakurai running out of time but wanting more characters so he slapped together some quickie clones for Melee sounds like a reasonable enough reason to me.

I always thought Wario held a Pirahna plant because one of the mini-games in that Mario Party game that piece of art was from involved holding a pirahna plant. Sorta like how Daisy holds a baseball bat in another Mario Party artwork where one of the games has you holding a baseball bat or Daisy manning a camera in another Mario Party game where one of the mini-games involves pictures.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
BIRDMAN22 said:
Even if he dosen't check either one he is still going to listen to the fans and a lot of people would like to see Waluigi in brawl (even if only for an event match).

Do you have a real reason why Pichu or Doc where in melee, and none of that nostaglic stuff either. Doc only had one or two games that were Tetris ripoffs. I can't see how he would have developed a fanbase from that.

Exactly. Why he does what he does is a mystery to us all. That is a reason he shold be in brawl. nintendo can use this as an opportunity to expand on his character. The can shed a little more light on his background or his relationship to other mushroom kingdom inhabitants. Just because you're against his addition dosen't mean we all should be. Some of us are looking forward to his inclusion to the smash bros roster.
1st paragraph- There are other characters that a lot of people want to see, about 1/3 of the people in here came to solely prove to you that Waluigi in Brawl would be a waste.

2nd paragraph- You basically said he can't use that reason, even though that IS the reason for Doc. Pichu was in because he was easy to put in, repped pokemon, and was a little version of Pikachu who is popular.

3rd paragraph- Yes, I can just imagine everyone now. "I can't wait to play Brawl and find out why Waluigi is holding a plant" No one would care if he's holding that plant, it doesn't give him personality either other than just being a plant abuser.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Tiamat said:
Sakurai running out of time but wanting more characters so he slapped together some quickie clones for Melee sounds like a reasonable enough reason to me.
That reason alone gives Waluigi a chance of being in brawl.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Hey, if they want to slap Waluigi in as a clone at the last minute (as per your two examples), then whatever. I'd still rather other characters become clones, but if they're not wasting valuable development time on him, then it's cool with me.

So far, every time you've said "Well why did they add X character?", you've listed a clone.

Still waiting for a good, solid reason.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
If Ganondorf can be a clone of Falcon, then *****EVERY***** character has a chance of being in Brawl using the clone reason. That still doesn't help any arguments for Waluigi.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Not really, after playing Melee they're body shapes don't seem too different. They're both pretty big guys with muscles, which Waluigi isn't.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Eh, that's nothing a little disjointing of Waluigi's bones couldn't fix!

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
1st paragraph- There are other characters that a lot of people want to see, about 1/3 of the people in here came to solely prove to you that Waluigi in Brawl would be a waste.
The same goes for almost every character thread in this forum. There will always be haters.
Marshigio said:
3rd paragraph- Yes, I can just imagine everyone now. "I can't wait to play Brawl and find out why Waluigi is holding a plant" No one would care if he's holding that plant, it doesn't give him personality either other than just being a plant abuser.
This obsession with the plant proves that there is a lot about Waluigi that is unknown, which(again) is why he should be included. That or people have any uncanny fascination with plants.
McFox said:
Hey, if they want to slap Waluigi in as a clone at the last minute (as per your two examples), then whatever. I'd still rather other characters become clones, but if they're not wasting valuable development time on him, then it's cool with me.

So far, every time you've said "Well why did they add X character?", you've listed a clone.

Still waiting for a good, solid reason.
If adding a little depth to a character isn't good enough then I give up. Who knows, they might have an upcoming game for him like the did the FE crew.

EDIT: I hit the wrong button and it accidently posted early

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
BIRDMAN, come on, I know you're smarter than this.

I've given reasons on why he shouldn't be in Brawl, not just spamming like a hater would. Can't you come up with something good? I mean come on, him holding a plant is a reason he should be in Brawl?

Brawl isn't a game to find out about Waluigi's history, because it's not very story-driven.

Thanks for clearing that up for me NukeA6. :lick:

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
BIRDMAN, come on, I know you're smarter than this.

I've given reasons on why he shouldn't be in Brawl, not just spamming like a hater would. Can't you come up with something good? I mean come on, him holding a plant is a reason he should be in Brawl?

Brawl isn't a game to find out about Waluigi's history, because it's not very story-driven.
For the record, I didn't originally bring up the plant thing. I really didn't know he carried it till today. I'm not a Mario Party fan, I just would like to see certain characters in the game. I'm only voicing my opinion.

Still confused about the high amount of focus on the plant though.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
It's the only reason that you gave on why he should be in Brawl, which confuses me.
The other reasons were already shot down.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi's supposed obsession of a pirahna plant shows that he is an ecological man. Behind this symbolism is potentially the key to the past of a torn soul who has travelled beyond the depths of the earth to find what is causing the slow and dying decay of the mushroom kingdom. Oh woe to this person and his selfless tale, for he has gone on to find that his lover had deserted him for an evil demon that threatened the nether dimension. Saving the nether dimension, Waluigi has discovered that there is more to life than just the nether but that there is a greater picture as a whole. He takes a pencil and 5 years of art class (where he entered into a hilarious sit-com with five other students Mandy, Yogarn, Mistletoe, Applebee, and Joey, before their show was finally cancelled on July 18, 1997) and learns to draw, and then he creates this bigger picture. Furious with his inadequacy after he was betrayed by his cousin, he throws it into a garbage dump. It was there where he found a pirahna plant, put it into a pot, and carried it for two seconds. During these two seconds, Daisy took a picture of him with her camera and spread it around the world as promo art for a Mario Party game. And thus a legend was born.

It is a legend which you will only see if Waluigi makes it into Smash Bros. Brawl. People, don't miss out on this chance for enlightenment!

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Tiamat said:
Waluigi's supposed obsession of a pirahna plant shows that he is an ecological man. Behind this symbolism is potentially the key to the past of a torn soul who has travelled beyond the depths of the earth to find what is causing the slow and dying decay of the mushroom kingdom. Oh woe to this person and his selfless tale, for he has gone on to find that his lover had deserted him for an evil demon that threatened the nether dimension. Saving the nether dimension, Waluigi has discovered that there is more to life than just the nether but that there is a greater picture as a whole. He takes a pencil and 5 years of art class (where he entered into a hilarious sit-com with five other students Mandy, Yogarn, Mistletoe, Applebee, and Joey, before their show was finally cancelled on July 18, 1997) and learns to draw, and then he creates this bigger picture. Furious with his inadequacy after he was betrayed by his cousin, he throws it into a garbage dump. It was there where he found a pirahna plant, put it into a pot, and carried it for two seconds. During these two seconds, Daisy took a picture of him with her camera and spread it around the world as promo art for a Mario Party game. And thus a legend was born.

It is a legend which you will only see if Waluigi makes it into Smash Bros. Brawl. People, don't miss out on this chance for enlightenment!
Honestly, that was hilarious :laugh:

thanks Tiamat. I needed that explained to me

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Gotta go with Marshigio that Smash is not the place to discover new things about a character. Save that for REAL games (oh wait, Waluigi doesn't appear in any of those...).

And Tiamat, that was hilarious.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
If Waluigi were to star in a game as a villain or hero then he wud be a shoe in for SSB4. But he has only been in MarioParty and that is stupid to add him although he has already been in a Smash Game; Mario Smash Football

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
Just for the sake of asking, when was the last time any one has said a reason WHY Waluigi shoud be in brawl? All I keepsseeing is the brutal hatred a few people seem to have for this character, and it's completly taken over the thread. If the same amount of effort was put into making and improving your own character suggestions, there would be a lot more incredible movelists and original designs thought up. Therefore, I will throw my hat into the fire and give a reason why Waluigi shold enter the brawl, though his chances are quite slim.

Every character that enters the smash bros. roster, no matter how small or insignificant, represtents nintendo in some way, shape, or form. From the timeless superstars (Mario, Link, etc.), to the old school (Ice climbers, Dr. Mario), to the new face of an old favorite (Zero Suit Samus, Warioware Wario), to the different eras of certain francises (Pikachu /andPichu , Marth and Roy), even the time when Nintendo made games before the NES (Mr. Game & Watch).

Many characters can be added based on this theory. For example, Harry from Teleroboxer could represent the virtual boy, M0-9 or whatever that HAMMER guy's name is could represent the next generation and the Wii, R.O.B. could represent Nintendo's peripherals as well as the NES, Phoenix Wright could represent the DS, Sami or sturm could represent both the handheld market as well as Advance Wars, and Sonic could represent Sega and the great era of gaming we fondly remember as the 16-bit wars.

So I bet you're asking, "What could a cookie-cutter character like Waluigi POSSIBLY represent that no one else can?" The answer is more obvious then you think. Every year, nintendo makes a few mario titles that we like to call, "Party" Games. Be it sports, Kart racing, or the sub genre's namesake, they keep coming out, and people enjoy them. Waluigi has appeared exclusivly in these games, who else could represent them better? Waluigi's appearences has been limted to these kinds of games, and through them, we have a treasure trove of possible moves and supers. For example:

B = Party Orb - Waluigi throws an orb a short distance. When it lands, it opens up, revealing one of 4 random things:

1. Sparky bomb - the capsule explodes on contact, just like a bob-bomb, it does less damage then a bob-bomb, around 5 to 10% damage.

2. Mini Waluigi - A mini mario painted purple and black marches forward until it falls of a ledge, if it hits a wall, it walks up it. It does minor damage (2-3%) and grabs onto an opponent on contact, both slowing and weighing them down for a few moments, then it disappears.

3. Piranha plant - a potted piranha plant chomps at anyone foolish enough to get close to it (it attacks anything in a bowser's hitbox sized area). each bite does 7% damage, and on very rare occasions (about a 3% chance, like I said, VERY RARE) it will bite down hard on a layer, swing them around, slam them into the floor, and throw them towards the center of the arena (around 30% to 50% damage, depending on how many times they are slamed into the ground) Beware though, as the piranha plant can hurt waluigi as well. The piranha plant is also the rarest of waluigi's random items. It disappears after awhile, like a red shell.

4. Booster Pop! - A soda bottle that, when picked up, does one of the following:
1. Replenish 20% damage
2. Small attack boost
3. Small Defense boost
4. Small Speed boost
5. Poison! Deals 5 -10% damage
Opponents can also pick up the Booster Pop, just like any healing item.

Waluigi can have up to 2 orbs thrown at a time, the player must wait till the object has been used or vanishes before he can throw another one

^B - Bob-Bomb Blast - Waluigi throws a bob-bomb below him, and the blast sends him upwards to recover. The size of the blast is random, but the larger the blast, the higher waluigi will travel. On random occasions, like Luigi's Green Missile, the bomb will blow up prematurely, sending Waluigi a much greater distance, but also slightly damaging him.

vB - Evil Glare - Waluigi's Eyes light up (just like when he made a point in MArio Tennis for the 64). if hit during this time, the opponent's attack does no half damage (rounded up) and freezes for a few seconds (like jigglypuff's sleep or mewtwo's disable)

>B - Wrecking Rocket - Waluigi pulls out a hammer and begins to spin it around, then he lunges foward and flys through the air. This move is similar to Luigi's Green missile, in that it charges and launches the character foward, but it has no chance of exploding.

Brawl - Dice Roll Chance Time- Waluigi hits a dice block and the amount of damage dealt and who it is dealt to is on the die. It ranges from 10% to 100% and can even attack multiple characters, including waluigi. Luck be a lady when you use this attack.

Basically, Waluigi could be a random character, forcing the opponent to always be on their toes. It also uses objects and concepts from the ario party series. I hope this will provide plenty of meat for you waluigi haters out there but more importantly it will help bring some balence to this thread.

edit: I added the wrecking crew based attack and replaced the fury kick.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Tiamat said:

July 18th is my birthday. :chuckle:

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
So Waluigi would be the master of randomness if he were to be put in the Brawl roster? Well, there's some food for thought.

But the Party Orb attack seems a bit unbalanced.

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
I see what you mean, I should have spent a little more time fleshing it out, but I figured that since opponents could snag the Booster Pop and that the piranha plant can hurt waluigi as well helped rould it out, but I may have made the damage percentages a little high. thanks for the feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom