• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Waluigi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I'd explain to you why most if not all of your ideas as to why Waluigi should be in are wrong, but honestly, I'm tired of it, and I've said all this before. So as my last post in this topic (until I get inspired to post again anyway), I'll just say Waluigi is boring, worthless, lame, and the ONLY character I'd rather him to is Daisy.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
I'd explain to you why most if not all of your ideas as to why Waluigi should be in are wrong, but honestly, I'm tired of it, and I've said all this before.
False. I've been bored enough to review this entire thread (It's to friggen long) and the only good arguement you've given is that he shouldn't be added on the grounds that he is Wario's brother, which I completely agree with. Outside of that it's all "he's boring, unoriginal, a filler thatr only in party games". People have given good arguements, you just don't realize it because you are heavily opposed to the character.

Again, I agree that he has no right to be one of the the top additions. He does however have a good chance of being in brawl. I will be honest and say that a few people have brought up good points as to his exclusion. *Looking at you Marsigio* He was on my top five list orginally but is now at about spot number 11. (My list). Either way I still believe he should be in the game. If they add three or more Mario characters, then I'm pretty sure he will be in the game.

I'll just say Waluigi is boring, worthless, lame, and the ONLY character I'd rather him to is Daisy.
Wait....... does this mean that you would prefer koopa troopas and gombas?

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
ya 2 or 3 Mario characters are usually added into smash bro and the likely 3 mario people to include are Toad, Baby Bowser, and Waluigi

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Waluigi comes in second to last for me also. He is just a bad character with barely any personality and only comes in Party games and a couple of other spinoffs. He is a waste of a space and I have no idea how he got 43 pages.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
he's got 43 pages because basically the same people have been arguing back and forth. that is why i love this thread. i love to debate. i love marshigo's, mcfox's, and birdman's opinions on waluigi.

so far, the arguments against waluigi include-
wario's brother/partner
filler
boring
unoriginal

the arguments for waluigi-
unigue
representation
villian

so i would like to say is, we probably will not know until brawl comes out. until then, let the arguing continue.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
even though i really dont want waluigi, i have a good feeling he will be in ssbb. the trophies in ssbm keep mentioning him like in luigis trophy "he even has his own villain! waluigi!" and he has his own trophy to...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
For the umpteenth time, the trophies of Melee are not indicative of what we can expect in Brawl. Hal Labs, the people who made Melee, didn't know if they'd be working on a sequel to Melee (and they're not), so they wouldn't have foreshadowed anything they didn't have control over.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Have you seen what Sakurai has said about Wario (I forget if I read this in Smash Bros Dojo, IGN, or the Poll)? The way he talks about him sounded like he didn't like him. Imagine Waluigi.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
That was because people loved Metaknight, were glad to Pit again, were staring at Zamus(seems like that's the main reason why everyone likes her, as sad as it may be), and were shocked by Snake. Wario really wasn't a surprise.

But for some reason, people in this thread think that Waluigi would be a success in Brawl, which is far from the truth.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
For the umpteenth time, the trophies of Melee are not indicative of what we can expect in Brawl. Hal Labs, the people who made Melee, didn't know if they'd be working on a sequel to Melee (and they're not), so they wouldn't have foreshadowed anything they didn't have control over.
Actually, there's dispute over Pit's trophey in Melee. The last line of it's description say "Will Pit ever fight again?" Some people (myself included) think that Hal put that in because while they didn't know if they'd make a sequel, they knew that if one was made, Pit would most likely make the cut, which he did.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
They were already planning on putting him in 64, but got replaced by Jiggs.

Yes, the trophies could possibly mean x character's inclusion in Brawl, it's not for certain. If that was true, we'd be seeing every single character who has a trophy from Melee in Brawl.

The thread in your sig is awesome DokturSea, +rep for you

icymatt

Smash Lord
Actually, there's dispute over Pit's trophey in Melee. The last line of it's description say "Will Pit ever fight again?" Some people (myself included) think that Hal put that in because while they didn't know if they'd make a sequel, they knew that if one was made, Pit would most likely make the cut, which he did.
Well, it's more likely they added that line because people have wanted a new Kid Icarus for over a decade now.

Either way, those of us who weren't completely braindead knew Pit was going to be in the next Smash Bros., it was just TOO obvious. Hell, before Melee was announced I thought Pit should be in the first sequel.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
I was reading through this thread and someone mentioned that Waluigi was their favorite Mario character, I never really liked Waluigi much, but when I read that I gave it some thought, and its true, Waluigi is definitly the coolest character in the entire mario series (which still isent saying much).

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
I was reading through this thread and someone mentioned that Waluigi was their favorite Mario character, I never really liked Waluigi much, but when I read that I gave it some thought, and its true, Waluigi is definitly the coolest character in the entire mario series (which still isent saying much).
ummmmm, waluigis first game appearance was in mario golf (or, whatever).
Which if im right, was in the 64. Im not exactly sure howmany stupid sport games of mario there was (or why) but other than that and mario party ( another crappy series nintendo had to make except for the second one), i dont think that waluigi was in any other games.
Granted, all the sport spoofs, and mario party 3- i lost count, is alot of games, it is a lot of sucky, and overall not that good games, making any other characters just as likely for brawl that was in those named series.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
i dont think that waluigi was in any other games.
He was one of the main characters in DDR: Mario Mix, made cameo appearences in Melee, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. And a few of those sports games are pretty good.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
He made a cameo appearance, but that wasn't really him...and DDR Mario Mix is still a spin-off.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Waluigi is definitly the coolest character in the entire mario series (which still isent saying much).
I can think of a lot of Mario characters who are cooler than Waluigi.

I think you need some new pictures for your sig Marshgio, it's not showing anymore.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i like waluigi and all, but he is not the coolest. mario, bowser, luigi, peach, yoshi are characters that are better than waluigi

and sorry marshigio that you sig is banned. i like your sig.:) been watching it since zamus and others showed their butts.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Well I was basing that mainly off his taunting / voice / actions in that new mario soccer game, strikers. He's the man

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Well I was basing that mainly off his taunting / voice / actions in that new mario soccer game, strikers. He's the man
If some one grabs their crotch in a mario game does that make them cool? If Daisy had grabbed her boobs or jiggled them around what that make her cool in your eyes? Waluigi is not cool (unless he has a Dick dastardly costume)

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
If some one grabs their crotch in a mario game does that make them cool?
I think the reason many people were going :o at that was because the crotch chop was made famous by DX in WWE and seeing Waluigi do it makes the wrestling fans happy lol

Crom

Smash Journeyman
No, not only that, just his voice and how he would shout "Waluigi" then start lauging was awesome.

I used to hate him though, I mean, his name is just stupid, the whole point of the name Wario was it was Mario with a W and it sounded like a bad guy, it doesn't make any sense putting Wa infront of luigi, cause its supposed to be his name with a new letter infront... like Wuigi. Waluigi just doesnt make sense... but, that aside, after playing strikers I think he is now the best mario character based off of his voice, looks, and victory poses (not just the crotch chop, its funny but its not the only one). I liked donkey kong more than him in that game, but I dont consider DK a mario character

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
I used to hate him though, I mean, his name is just stupid, the whole point of the name Wario was it was Mario with a W and it sounded like a bad guy, it doesn't make any sense putting Wa infront of luigi, cause its supposed to be his name with a new letter infront... like Wuigi. Waluigi just doesnt make sense...
"Waluigi's name has a dual-meaning in Japanese. The Japanese word "warui" (悪い, "warui"?) means "bad" or "evil" ("Warui" is also a condescending way of apologizing, as opposed to "gomennasai", or "sumimasen" which are more polite). This means that Waluigi's name is a portmanteau of "warui" and "Luigi" and essentially means "Evil Luigi". Many believe his name to be a cheap offshoot of Wario's name rather than being derived from Luigi's name.

Similarly, "Ruiji" (the Japanese pronunciation of "Luigi) means "analogous" or "copy"; giving Waluigi's name the double-meaning of "Evil Copy"."
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waluigi

Additionally, the name Waluigi would be pronounced in Japanese as waruiji, which rearranges the syllables of ijiwaru, the Japanese word for "mean-spirited".

Note that in Japanese, the same sound is used for L and R."
so yea its not as bad you believe.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
"Waluigi's name has a dual-meaning in Japanese. The Japanese word "warui" (悪い, "warui"?) means "bad" or "evil" ("Warui" is also a condescending way of apologizing, as opposed to "gomennasai", or "sumimasen" which are more polite). This means that Waluigi's name is a portmanteau of "warui" and "Luigi" and essentially means "Evil Luigi". Many believe his name to be a cheap offshoot of Wario's name rather than being derived from Luigi's name.

Similarly, "Ruiji" (the Japanese pronunciation of "Luigi) means "analogous" or "copy"; giving Waluigi's name the double-meaning of "Evil Copy".

Additionally, the name Waluigi would be pronounced in Japanese as waruiji, which rearranges the syllables of ijiwaru, the Japanese word for "mean-spirited".

Note that in Japanese, the same sound is used for L and R."
so yea its not as bad you believe.
You just copied and pasted that from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waluigi
So, it's true, but isn't that plagarizing?

Here is an excerpt from the link:

The Waluigi character was deliberately created to be a selectable character in various multiplayer games. He has appeared in several games, although none of them are main games in the Mario series. His first appearance was in Mario Tennis games for the Game Boy Color and Nintendo 64, as Wario's doubles partner. Later, along with Princess Daisy, he joined the Mario Party series's roster in Mario Party 3 and has been a playable character in every main entry in the series since. He's since also appeared in Mario Power Tennis, Super Mario Strikers, Mario Superstar Baseball, and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. He'll also be appearing in Mario Hoops 3-on-3.

In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, there are two Badges that Mario can wear to change his appearance. One of them is the L Emblem, which puts Mario in Luigi's clothes, and the other is the W Emblem, which puts him in Wario's clothes. When Mario puts on the W Emblem and the L Emblem at the same time, he changes into clothing identical to Waluigi's.

Waluigi plays his first role in a game plot in Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix, in which he is one of the characters, along with Bowser, attempting to wreak havoc with the Mushroom Kingdom's music.

He is again a playable character in the Mario Kart Series, appearing at the start in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and as a secret character in Mario Kart DS.

Here we have a statement concerning the games Waluigi ha been in.

Another excerpt concerning Wario and Waluigi:

Waluigi's relationship to Wario is unclear. It appears that they might be related since they share some facial and mental characteristics, but Waluigi's Super Smash Bros. Melee trophy says that it is indeed unclear if they are brothers or not. It can be inferred that they are at least good friends.

However, according to Nintendo of Europe, Waluigi and Wario are brothers:

Nintendo of Europe's "Wario's Warehouse" articles from a few years ago had Wario refer to Waluigi as "his dimwit brother." [1]
Nintendo of Europe's Mario Kart DS site has a description of the Waluigi Pinball course that refers to Waluigi as Wario's younger brother.
Nintendo of America also mentioned Waluigi and Wario's brotherhood:

Nintendo of America's old Mario Tennis 64 Page says Wario and Waluigi are indeed brothers.
Also, Wario and Waluigi's team name in Mario Party 5 - the "Wicked Bros." - also implies that they are brothers (However, Luigi and Yoshi's team name is "Green Bros.," and it could not be more obvious that they are not brothers).

Wario's relation to the Mario Bros. could be theorized different ways. Some theorize he simply is a rival to them, but there is the possibility that he is their cousin. About the time of Mario Kart 64's release, Nintendo Power had an article in the form of a letter to Mario from Wario signed with "Your Cousin, Wario." This would mean that Waluigi could also be their cousin. However, the evidence appearing in Nintendo Power or on Nintendo websites may or may not be considered part of the canon.

Although Nintendo adopted the use of the name "Mario" as a double for the characters' last name in the movies to make sense for why Luigi is a "Mario Brother." It is unclear if the same can be said for Wario & Waluigi, meaning they could also bear the Mario last name or even be "Wario Bros." or maybe even something else. The term "Wicked Bros." shouldn't be taken seriously at this time as their official last name, but more so as their personalities, seeing as Mario Party is but a mere spin-off series and, as with other spin-off titles, amounts to nothing in the main series

There, hopefully this cleared something up with the Wario and Waluigi discussion. But, the article make great points. For example, the article states that on Waluigi's trophy says that there relationship is unclear.

link again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waluigi

-SMB

Crom

Smash Journeyman
aha, yeah thats alot better than I originaly thought, making Waluigi even better. Look at this, hes definitaly the best:

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
I thought the quotation marks were enough to tell that I pulled it from another site, I didnt mean to plagerize. I make sure I include a source link from now on
Yea, I wasn't exactly sure if you were quoting that or not. Just make sure you state your source. I would also put that link in there, before you get reported by someone.

-SMB

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
aha, yeah thats alot better than I originaly thought, making Waluigi even better. Look at this, hes definitaly the best:

Don't joke around like that, people might think you're serious.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
He would be a waste. Bottom of the list. If I even bother putting him on the list of possible characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom