• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Waluigi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
colbusman said:
there are far better namco characters than pac-man. if that is all he can do, then he shouldn't be in brawl. waluigi has more moves than pac-man. if any namco character is in, it should be from soul calibur 2.
Wrong, Pacman is the Namco mascot so they will put him in before sould calibour characters

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
colbusman said:
.anyway, let's get back on topic, so waluigi seems to be hated by almost everyone on this thread, huh?
Not really. There are twice as many people who like Waluigi in this thread than neutral or haters. I counted them and tried to use it as an argument a few pages back, but everbody ignored it.

greenblob

Smash Lord
This has been said many times before, but I don't think any character who played an important role in his/her game (series) deserves a place in Brawl. Every character in Melee played an important part in his/her game(s) (maybe with the exception of Roy, who was there to advertise for his upcoming game, but never having been a FE fan, I wouldn't be too sure...maybe he was playable as a secondary character in some game). All the new characters fit into this criteria so far (except Zamus, but I don't really feel like discussing that here). All Waluigi does is appear in spinoff titles playing the same role as every other character in those games.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Fox_Rocks said:
Not really. There are twice as many people who like Waluigi in this thread than neutral or haters. I counted them and tried to use it as an argument a few pages back, but everbody ignored it.
it was a joke. i saw the argument and it was good, but not everybody on smashboards has posted in here so we don't know who likes or dislikes (except the people who post here)

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
greenblob said:
This has been said many times before, but I don't think any character who played an important role in his/her game (series) deserves a place in Brawl. Every character in Melee played an important part in his/her game(s) (maybe with the exception of Roy, who was there to advertise for his upcoming game, but never having been a FE fan, I wouldn't be too sure...maybe he was playable as a secondary character in some game). All the new characters fit into this criteria so far (except Zamus, but I don't really feel like discussing that here). All Waluigi does is appear in spinoff titles playing the same role as every other character in those games.
Waluigi has played important roles. He was a minor villain in Mario Party 3 and a major villian in Dance Dance Revelution: Mario Mix. These are spinoff games but he still played an important role in these games.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Mario is already representing Mario Mix, and Bowser was the last boss anyway.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
Mario is already representing Mario Mix, and Bowser was the last boss anyway.
Mario is representing his side scrollers. Mario Mix wasn't even out when Melee was made so how did he represent that?

Anyways, I support Waluigi in Brawl. I shall combat some arguments against him.

He will just be a clone of Mario, Luigi, or Wario.
He cannot be a clone of Mario, Luigi, or Wario, because he has a different body shape then them.

He has just been a filler in Mario spin-off games.
Good, let him represent those games then. He can gather moves from the Mario party series, the Mario sport titles, Mario Mix, Mario Kart, etc. to form a unique moveset. Also, since when does a character need an already made moveset to be in SSB? Captain Falcon and Fox McCloud got in... I might also add that Dr. Mario is just a filler in SSBM, and he has fans wanting to keep him in Brawl, and he is just a clone.

He has no personality.
And what are the Ice Climbers' and Mr. Game & Watch's personalities then? All we know about them is that they like to do good. THAT'S IT. All we know about Waluigi is that he likes to do bad. THAT'S IT. We don't need to know much about a character for them to be in.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
There are 41 pages, mostly full of arguing, and you think you just brought up some new points as to how to defend his inclusion. Read the thread, despite how long it is, people have argued your points, and you forgot the most important point.

There are plenty of other characters who have priority over Waluigi.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:
There are 41 pages, mostly full of arguing, and you think you just brought up some new points as to how to defend his inclusion. Read the thread, despite how long it is, people have argued your points, and you forgot the most important point.

There are plenty of other characters who have priority over Waluigi.
It would take a while to read the whole thread, so I just stated my points.

As for other characters more deserving, they pretty much have all the major Mario characters in, sans Toad. But since Wario isn't considered a Mario character (he has a different symbol) and the Mario franchise will probably be getting 3 more characters (as it did from SSB -> SSBM), Waluigi could definitely get a spot, to get all of the Mario Bros.' counterparts in there.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Super_Cool said:
Mario is representing his side scrollers. Mario Mix wasn't even out when Melee was made so how did he represent that?

Anyways, I support Waluigi in Brawl. I shall combat some arguments against him.

He will just be a clone of Mario, Luigi, or Wario.
He cannot be a clone of Mario, Luigi, or Wario, because he has a different body shape then them.

He has just been a filler in Mario spin-off games.
Good, let him represent those games then. He can gather moves from the Mario party series, the Mario sport titles, Mario Mix, Mario Kart, etc. to form a unique moveset. Also, since when does a character need an already made moveset to be in SSB? Captain Falcon and Fox McCloud got in... I might also add that Dr. Mario is just a filler in SSBM, and he has fans wanting to keep him in Brawl, and he is just a clone.

He has no personality.
And what are the Ice Climbers' and Mr. Game & Watch's personalities then? All we know about them is that they like to do good. THAT'S IT. All we know about Waluigi is that he likes to do bad. THAT'S IT. We don't need to know much about a character for them to be in.
1. I can't seem to recall ANYONE saying he'd be a clone as a reason they don't want him in.

2. Yeah, and most people don't like the filler clones. The fans of Dr.Mario want him CHANGED from a filler to an actual original character.

3. The IC and GAW had their own personailities because THEY HAD THEIR OWN GAMES. Which is a qualification Waluigi has yet to live up to.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Pretty much summed it up.

Also, Waluigi is on an equal level of Birdo, Toadette, and Daisy, being only included in party games(although Daisy was in a platformer). Bowser Jr. and Toad have higher priority than him, and so does Geno and Mallow.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
DokturSea said:
1. I can't seem to recall ANYONE saying he'd be a clone as a reason they don't want him in.
It has been said and dismissed.
3. The IC and GAW had their own personailities because THEY HAD THEIR OWN GAMES. Which is a qualification Waluigi has yet to live up to.
Once again confusion sets in. Starring in a game doesn't equal personality. Why is this hard to grasp? Yes they had their own games. They are good guys and thus brave because they did what the had to do to save whoever they saved. Braveness is a personality trait. Having you're own game does not a personality make. Falco, Ganon, Pichu, Mewtwo, Bowser, Waluigi, Toad, Daisy all have some personality and none have their own game. Please understand the distinction.
In terms of having you're own game being a qualification, the list of people I just gave canceled that arguement out already. Hell, melee coming out cancelled that arguement out.
Marshigio said:
Also, Waluigi is on an equal level of Birdo, Toadette, and Daisy, being only included in party games(although Daisy was in a platformer). Bowser Jr. and Toad have higher priority than him, and so does Geno and Mallow
Sakurai might also be looking fan support in addition to game appearance and games starred. If that's the case then I still can't see why he wouldn't at least get the 14th spot in terms of new characters. Yes there are higher priority characters but there can't be more than 13.
Geno and Mallow don't really count above him because they would be third party.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Let's not discuss the Geno and Mallow stuff, because no one knows if they're 3rd party.

You're saying there aren't more than 13 characters with priority over him?

1. King DeDeDe(main enemy of Kirby)
2. Bowser Jr.(Has been Bowser's sidekick and recent games, Sunshine and New SMB)
3. Stafy(Has his own franchise and mega popular in Japan)
4. Isaac(Golden Sun Hero)
5. Felix(Golden Sun Hero)
6. Sigurd(most popular FE lord in Japan and has a game)
7. Ike(most suggested FE lord in America)
8. Ridley(most suggested Metroid character, Metroid boss)
9. Wolf(Fox's rival from Star Fox, popular)
10. Samurai Goroh(Captain Falcon's rival)
11. Jody Summer(Captain Falcon's love interest)
12. Takamaru(Samurai who had a sister game to Zelda, Japan only)
13. Lucas(Main character of Mother 3)
14. Demiru(Main character of Tomato Adventure)
15. Little Mac(Main character of the Punch-Out!!! series)
16. King K. Rool(Main enemy of Donkey Kong)
17. Diddy Kong(Donkey Kong's "sidekick" playable in several Donkey Kong games)

There's more, but you get the point. We know he's not adding 17 characters, so let's be realistic.

In response to Basement Dweller, it's been dismissed, you'd know that if you read the thread.

Seriously Birdman, I gotta respect you. You're good at debating(this has been going on for 10+ pages!), and not resorting to flaming people too. I'll +rep you again as soon as it lets me, I +repped you the other day.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
I had a very detailed counter for you but everytime I tried to post the window would freeze so I will just say this. 17 characters is to high of an amount for mass agreement. Not many people would have the exact same 17, but you did counter my point so I will say that I personally don't think there are 13 better options. Everyone has their own opinion. My list has him around 8th.

Also same respect back at you. I repped you a few days ago. It's good to know that I can debate with someone without them repeatedly stating "he sucks, he won't be in because he is just a clone."

NukeA6

Smash Master
Ok let's see Melee's characters (plus the new confirmed challengers) and then see Waluigi:

1.Mario: Main Mascot of Nintendo
2. Luigi: Mario's Brother who's appeared in most Mario games including two of his own.
3. Peach: The damsel you have to save in Mario adventure/side-scroller games plus has fought in SM RPG
4. Bowser: Main villian in most of the Mario games.
5. Dr. Mario: Star of Dr. Mario
6. Yoshi: One of Mario's friends plus has his own game series
7. Donkey Kong: Main character of the DK series
8. Link: Main character of the Zelda series
9. Young Link: Main character of Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. He's also the true Link.
10. Zelda: One of the main characters of the Zelda series. Also is the damsel you have to save.
11. Ganondorf: Main villian of the Zelda series (mostly as Ganon).
12. Kirby: Main character of the Kirby series
13. Pikachu: The Pokemon mascot. Also the most popular Pokemon.
14. Jigglypuff: The 2nd most popular Pokemon.
15. Mewtwo: Very popular and one of the most powerful Pokemon.
16. Pichu: Popular Pokemon (especially in Japan)
17. Captain Falcon: Main character of the F-Zero series
18. Samus: Main character of the Metroid series
19. Fox: Main character of the Star Fox series
20. Falco: Fox's Righthand man and very popular. Has appeared in every Star Fox game.
21. Marth: Icon to the Fire Emblem series. Was the main character in two games.
22. Roy: Main character in FE6 and made a small appearance in FE7.
23. Mr. Game and Watch: Father of all LCD games and Nintendo's first character
24. Ice Climbers: Stars of Ice Climber (a former favorite from someone in Nintendo).
25. Ness: Star of the most well-known Mother game.

26. Metaknight: Kirby's rival and was a villian in Super Star. Also playable in one of the games.
27. Pit: Highly suggested and is the main character in Kid Icarus.
28. Zero Suit Samus: Was in Metroid- Zero Mission and is Samus.
29. Wario: Former Mario nemesis and has two of his own game series.
30. Snake: Main character of the Metal Gear Series.

Waluigi: A filler character in Mario Spin-off games. He's been a villian in some of them but wasn't even the main threat.

See something wrong here?

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the fact that we are back to the filler arguement.

I never played kirby's super star but was meta-knight the main villian.
Also Dr. Mario wasn't technically the star of Dr. Mario. The germs and pills were the stars, he just supplied the title.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
The personality arguement has started again. He's what we know about him:

He's rude, cocky, dim-witted and always wants to do better than others. He tends to make rudes comments, seems to like dancing, wrestling and other sports, is friends with Wario, hates the Mario Bros., and has a crush on Daisy.

What do we know about IC and G&W? Pretty much nothing. What do we know about Mario? He can jump. And IMO, most people like the Mario games rather than the actual character. But that's just my opinion.
NukeA6 said:
See something wrong here?
Yes, you said that the Y. Link in Melee is the same one in Majora's Mask and Windwaker. He wasn't the same one in LoZ:WW.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
BIRDMAN22 said:
=/ Thought so. Oh well. Curses, foiled this time.

BIRDMAN22 said:
Once again confusion sets in. Starring in a game doesn't equal personality. Why is this hard to grasp? Yes they had their own games. They are good guys and thus brave because they did what the had to do to save whoever they saved. Braveness is a personality trait. Having you're own game does not a personality make. Falco, Ganon, Pichu, Mewtwo, Bowser, Waluigi, Toad, Daisy all have some personality and none have their own game. Please understand the distinction.
In terms of having you're own game being a qualification, the list of people I just gave canceled that arguement out already. Hell, melee coming out cancelled that arguement out.
Actually, they are do have "their own" games. They appear in games that aren't just spin offs. Lesse, Falco = Secondary character in all the Star Fox games. Ganon = I'm not even going to go into this one. Pichu = Is in Pokemon, which is, in fact, not a spin off sport game. Mewtwo = The final "boss" of Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. Bowser = This argument is ********. Toad = Has been playable in many non-sport/spin off games. Daisy = Dude, screw Daisy as well.

Waluigi = Has appeared in...oh wait...only sports games. Never mind.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i don't like this filler argument. some nintendo characters are fillers. luigi was one of them. he was the exact same as mario, just diffrent colors, until mario bros. 2. daisy was one. they made a diffrent land for mario to save, so peach was out of the question. and i guess the clones in ssbm could be considered filler characters.

but after a while, they developed a personality of their own. luigi is the shy younger brother looking in as mario's shadow. daisy is a tomboy who likes to play rough. waluigi is mischevious and like to do many things to disrupt the mario bros. reputation.

why can't waluigi represent the sports/party games? every other character can easily represent a diffrent franchise in the mario series. luigi had mansion, daisy has mario land, wario had wario land and wario ware, so why can't waluigi rep the party franchise. i think it would be cool to use things like orbs, warp blocks, and dice for waluigi's moveset.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
BIRDMAN22 said:

Uh, Toad did have his own game, he was the star in Wario's Woods.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
DokturSea said:
Actually, they are do have "their own" games. They appear in games that aren't just spin offs. Lesse, Falco = Secondary character in all the Star Fox games. Ganon = I'm not even going to go into this one. Pichu = Is in Pokemon, which is, in fact, not a spin off sport game. Mewtwo = The final "boss" of Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. Bowser = This argument is ********. Toad = Has been playable in many non-sport/spin off games. Daisy = Dude, screw Daisy as well.
All the characters you just named were in those games. That is correct. It doesn't make it "their own" game. Especially since 1 of those characters you can only pick in one game, 3 You can't pick at all, two you can play through the whole game without getting/using, and the last is toad. Just because they were in those games doesn't make it theirs. Unless we can say the starfox is Peppy's game. Yes, they were in it, no it's not there game.

Also, before it gets said, this post was to strengthen my last point which was that just because waluigi doesn't have his own game doesn't mean he can't be in brawl. :lick:

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
the point is waluigi is plain not important. all he has ever done is be playable in a few party/sport games. he isnt a final boss or a popular pokemon (get rid of pichu). just a filler in a game series.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
I doubt that he can be considered "not important". That's a matter of opinion. I coud say his importance lies in the fact that not only does he give Wario a partner whenever he battles the Mario bros. but he gives Luigi a primary rival. Boswer and Wario are Mario's rivals in the nintendo universe and sonic is in terms of the console wars. He gives Luigi another chance to shine on his own person, which would better help him get out of Mario's shadow. I personally like Luigi better than Mario and would love to see him star in a game for another reason other than Mario got kidnapped. I wouldn't mind seeing him up against Waluigi like Mario went up against Wario.

A characters importance can be linked to more than just that character. As with my example, it can also be beneficial to another. Besides, I hope the make an event match that involve either the mario bros. vs. the wario bros. or just Luig vs. Waluigi. I like those two better than there counterparts anyway.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Red_Maniac said:
Y. Link in Melee is the same one in Majora's Mask and Windwaker. He wasn't the same one in LoZ:WW.
And there's always a different Link in most Zelda games. The Wind Waker Link is still a Young Link

BIRDMAN22 said:
Yes, the fact that we are back to the filler arguement.

I never played kirby's super star but was meta-knight the main villian.
Also Dr. Mario wasn't technically the star of Dr. Mario. The germs and pills were the stars, he just supplied the title.
Metaknight was a major villian in Super Star, a supporting character in the early Kirby games, and was playable on some recent Kirby game.

And Dr. Mario was the star of his own game. You played as him and you were getting rid of the viruses.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
NukeA6 said:
And Dr. Mario was the star of his own game. You played as him and you were getting rid of the viruses.
Hmmm.... I disagree. It was petty much nintendo's version of tetris. In tetris you don't play as anyone. Doctor Mario was almost the exact same thing, they just put his name in the title to help sell it as another mario game.

That's the way I see it but I can also see your side

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
BIRDMAN22 said:
I coud say his importance lies in the fact that not only does he give Wario a partner whenever he battles the Mario bros. but he gives Luigi a primary rival.
So Waluigi's importance lies in the fact that he's actually just an accessory for other, more popular characters' importance.

Hmm... somehow, I'm not seeing that.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
McFox said:
So Waluigi's importance lies in the fact that he's actually just an accessory for other, more popular characters' importance.
No not really. Others and I have given reason to his importance but some of you just dismiss it, so I tried using another approach. I still feel he has his own level of importance that could be easily increased by nintendo, but he also has a level that could greatly affect others.

If were being picky, Bowser and Ganandorf's importance are that they are the main villians in a specific franchise. Outside of that they don't really matter. So there's nothing wrong with "just being an accessory for other, more popular characters' importance." :)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Can I just make a few notes:

Waluigi has made appearances solo in Mario spinoff titles. He was in Mario Party-e as the boss of a minigame, and he's working solo as a boss in Mario DDR. In Kart DS he isn't paired with Wario, and in Baseball he's his own captain (and his profile implies that he's a separate character from just "Wario's sidekick").

Irregardless, Wario has a multitude of other sidekicks to pick from, now that he was Wario Ware, so Waluigi, if he appears, would be more of a "LOL LUIGI'S EVIL TWIN" role. Wario does not take the "Mario's Evil Twin" role in Brawl; he's wearing his Ware outfit, he's using his own attacks, and his logo is the stylized W from all the Wario Land/Ware games. Mario hardly reacts differently at all upon seeing him in the trailer anyways.

Waluigi apparently also has connections to Wrecking Crew. Play some of the games with him in them. You'll see. He can rep that, in some small way.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Mario starred in that game, and if you want more representation, put in Spike.

I can't stop staring at my sig.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
I doubt they'd put Spike in over Waluigi, Spike wasn't even mentioned in melee, not even as a trophey, whereas Waluigi was, Waluigi could easily rep the party/sports/and a bit of wrecking crew as said and with luigi mansion 2 being rumored and nintendo seeming to make Waluigi a villian now, i can see Waluigi being the cause of Luigis Mansion 2, but once that game is confirmed that is

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Since when was Luigi's Mansion 2 ever rumored? Why would the villain be Waluigi anyway? Bowser could rep Wrecking Crew anyway, he was the main villain of the story mode in Wrecking Crew '98.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Spike and Bowser would be a better representation of Wrecking Crew, seeing as how they were in the game and Waluigi isn't.

Mario starred in that game too, putting in a character to represent that game would be like putting in a character to represent Super Mario 64.

Mario Party/Sport games is already being represented. Mario, Bowser, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Donkey Kong, and Wario are in those games.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Exodecai101 said:
Waluigi could easily rep the party/sports
I'm glad someone is understanding. I was starting to think I was alone in a dark dark world.

Those other characters being in those games doesn't necessarily mean the are repping it, with the exception of one of peach's moves. Like I asked a few pages ago, Link won't be repping soul caliber 2 in any way, yet he was in it and very popular. Those other characters are only repping their specific franchises. If megaman makes it to brawl he won't be repping MVC although he was there. When you play with the characters you shouldn't have to speculate what games their design is from, it should be obvious. Nothing about any character says Mario Party of sports with the exception of peach. I use mario and I think SMB, SMW, and SM64 (the back throw). Then items rep other games. AS Fliptroppa said, Waluig should be a better representation of the party/sports games. For all the money those games have made nintendo (a whole lot) they deserve more than just a forward smash.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Mario Party 1-7
Mario Kart(5 games)
Mario Tennis(both games)
Mario Soccer
Mario 3 on 3

The majority of the games Peach has been playable in are the Party games. Yes, she's had ONE game, that doesn't mean it's a franchise because Nintendo hasn't confirmed they're making that into more games.

Even with that one game, she's still known to be the damsel in distress who likes to play golf, tennis, and party. She's already repping those games, and that one attack that she has(FSmash) shows that Nintendo did remember that franchise.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
I agree that peach is the only one repping those games. I'm just aying that since they are one of nintendos better selling games, they deserve a better representaion than just one game. Waluigi good have a moveset that is mostly taken from these games, which would "showcase" those games better than the one smash attack could do. A very creative moveset was already made that almost completely incorporates party games and it was very well done. (It's actually what turned me from a little more than a neutral fan to a complete fan)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Woah, woah. Bowser was only in Wrecking Crew '98, first off, but Spike was still a major villain in that and the original (he also appears in the Japan-only Mario Golf Mobile, if you're curious :p).

Waluigi has the "Destruction Dance" song from Wrecking Crew in Mario DDR, his minigame in Mario Party-e involved a Wrecking Crew-like stage where he threw hammers at you, and his item in all the spinoff titles tends to be a Bob-omb or something similar. He even had plumbing know-ho, which Wario lacks, because he flooded the court for his Defensive shot in Power Tennis.

He's got his own character, seriously. He's not some little sidekick groupie to Wario. Wario is well beyond that.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
Iggy K said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Since when was Luigi's Mansion 2 ever rumored? Why would the villain be Waluigi anyway? Bowser could rep Wrecking Crew anyway, he was the main villain of the story mode in Wrecking Crew '98.
I believe IGN rumored that, they also rumored another Mario Strikers for Wii(which would be awesome, i think mario strikers is the best sport game besides mario kart of course) and they could easily make Waluigi the villian of that, have Waluigi take over the mansion like when Wario took over Marios in Mario Land 2(i believe it was a mansion not sure) and Bowser repping Wrecking Crew meh idk, he's good with repping being the villian of the Marios, and i believe they could have Waluigi rep that for as said before, there making it seem like Waluigi was a former wrecking crew member with his eggplant special, Gold Mantis Car, and his dance is called destruction Dance and like FlipTroopa is saying, Waluigi is developing his own personality by being the clumsy,mischief,choatic type of character

btw i find this interesting to note also from the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Developer Interview

Will the game's roster be expanded to include more Nintendo characters in addition to what we've seen?

Mr. Sakurai: There are plenty of other characters we're thinking about, none of which I can speak about today. Actually I also want to ask everyone here what characters they'd like to see.

[At this point, the audience began to shout out characters, including: Sonic, Ridley, Captain Olimar, Waluigi, "Anyone from Pro Wrestling," Fawful, Mega Man, Lolo, Reggie, and Mr. Miyamoto]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom