• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Utah Power Rankings (last updated on - Brawl: 03/08/10 Melee: 01/10/10)

Sexy Yaz

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry, I'm taking it back this month. X is amazing but he uses Sonic hahaha.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Hey any1 in Utah want to smash.
Im in the military and staying here for 2 weeks on business.
Im staying in the Marriott in Ogden.
940-232-0542
Lemme know

Dai-A

Smash Journeyman
Hey any1 in Utah want to smash.
Im in the military and staying here for 2 weeks on business.
Im staying in the Marriott in Ogden.
940-232-0542
Lemme know
ogden is hella far. its even farther than people going down to springville. am i right?

QraQ

Smash Ace
Ogden is basically my backyard. Its not that far...away from me. I live in riverdale.

Marriott is the hotel around 25th street, right?
Ya you cant miss it.
It's the biggest building in Ogden lol.

QraQ

Smash Ace
So does any1 want to smash or what?
Im mainly melee but I'm down for some brawl too.
Brawl+ plz =)

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Due to UST no longer hosting Brawl, the eligibility rule that one must attend at least one MA/UST has been abolished. Therefore, anyone that has not attended any Brawl tournaments at MA/UST in the past, but has entered Brawl at any ToF from 9 and beyond (which right now, is only ToF9), is now eligible. As of right now, the only person that is affected by this is DZLE. Funny how the very first ToF that Final missed was the first one that counted towards this. :laugh:

Anyway, another issue at hand is a Melee Power Rankings. How would people feel if, for the time being, I put up a Melee rankings (with top-5 only) based tournament results with some tweaks as needed (which I will explain). Later, we can form a panel, if desired.

Okay, so here are the results of the last 12 Melee singles tournaments, with all OoS players, at that time, omitted from the rankings (thus bumping everyone below them up when applicable):

Since laozy/Phil's result is a little scewed due to only having one recent attendance and the rest really old, he shouldn't be on the top-5. So with that, I think the following rank is pretty accurate as for right now:
1. Perfect Chaos
2. Sexy Yaz
3. X
4. FoxTheStampede
5. Lada

What do you guys think?

vazor

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think?
I think Yaz needs to MM FtS, and Gojira needs to MM Lada. :laugh:
Seems okay to me. I'm curious why Gojira or Minato didn't get 5th- though I guess Minato is out anyway due to moving-ish. Oh and Minato's AVG isn't higher than Lada's. Ok. But still, for Gojira, how many out of the last 4 do you need to attend for your last 4 AVG to matter? Just more than one? When does AVERAGE matter? Maybe a little more detail on the thoughts behind this would be good.

Overall, I approve of posting any melee power rankings. :D

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
When I look at that list skill-wise, I think it's pretty accurate as well. But Phil is way to inactive to be placed, but if he'd actually show up more, he'd have a good shot at top-5
Total Average shouldn't be taken too seriously, since it's actually not averaging every tournament from the very beginning. And even if it is, way old stuff should be taken with a grain of salt, so the Total Average is just there to general reference.
Yaz and FTS never entered the same tournament, so that's a problem, but just a minor one. ALL of the tournaments Yaz entered had more people than ANY of the ones FTS entered, yet Yaz still manage a higher average, so there shouldn't be any doubt in that match-up. Personally, I would think the Yaz vs. X match-up on the ranking to be the closer one. Their results tend to flip-flop, and I personally have more trouble against X than Yaz, but Yaz has obtained the upper hand in tournament results recently, so for now, I think Yaz deserves the higher spot.

vazor

Smash Apprentice
When I look at that list skill-wise, I think it's pretty accurate as well. But Phil is way to inactive to be placed, but if he'd actually show up more, he'd have a good shot at top-5
Total Average shouldn't be taken too seriously, since it's actually not averaging every tournament from the very beginning. And even if it is, way old stuff should be taken with a grain of salt, so the Total Average is just there to general reference.
Yaz and FTS never entered the same tournament, so that's a problem, but just a minor one. ALL of the tournaments Yaz entered had more people than ANY of the ones FTS entered, yet Yaz still manage a higher average, so there shouldn't be any doubt in that match-up. Personally, I would think the Yaz vs. X match-up on the ranking to be the closer one. Their results tend to flip-flop, and I personally have more trouble against X than Yaz, but Yaz has obtained the upper hand in tournament results recently, so for now, I think Yaz deserves the higher spot.
Nice, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for detailing all of that, it's good to hear the reasoning and have a strong first PR. Post it already! ^_^

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I'm planning to give it a day or two to hear more people's opinions on it. I'll be at PnT this week, so I can get some feedback there. There's really no need to rush it too much if we've gone so long without one already.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Well, after a little over year and a half without a new Melee Power Rankings list, I decided to put this one up. Now we just need an official separate panel for Melee and a separate system of regulations for qualifications, update-intervals, etc. And hopefully, Melee will still be active enough for this list to be updated periodically (probably not monthly like Brawl's, though).

I have an idea who would be willing to be a panelist, but I'm going to ask anyway: who's interesting in being a Melee panel member?

Also, suggested to aforementioned regulations would help, too.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Updates!!

So the Brawl Power Rankings have been updated!

Also, FoxTheStampede has been taken off the Brawl Panel, and lanky_gunner has taken his place. (Lanky, I would advise you to get MSN IM, in case we do an IM panel meeting in the future.) Also, lanky_gunner did NOT get to vote on this list, FYI.

Also, the regulations regarding how many missed tournaments until one is considered "inactive" has changed, due to there only being 1 tournament per month now. Now, instead of not missing four tournaments in a row (in a time frame of 2 months), it is now not missing three tournaments in a row (in a time frame of 3 months).

Top Bottom