• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Update Complaint Thread

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I don't like it when people complain about the updates we get. It is a privilege to get an update every day while most games get absolutely nothing. But I know this wont stop many of you from complaining about them. So, instead of flooding the General Brawl Discussion board with complaints, use this thread to post those things that just don't settle well with you.

There is no way to say if this thread will last very long, ESPECIALLY if people spam or flame, so keep that in mind whenever you post in here.

Posted by Kirby King below: "Okay, dudes. The point of the "complaint" thread was not to give people another place to complain about complaining, but to just complain--in a civil, intelligible manner. For example, you could say that while the Dojo is providing daily updates, the updates don't tell us much of anything, and Sakurai doesn't deserve credit for providing fans with daily updates. (I don't subscribe to that view, but it's an argument one could make.)

If you want to whine, do it here, but make it intelligible (else we won't let you whine anymore). If you don't like whiners, then just take solace in the fact that they're not supposed to post everywhere about it now, but stay out of their thread--you've got the rest of the board to not whine."

tirkaro

Smash Champion
okay, I'll take a shot at this:
*takes deep breath*
FRCIKEN GOD THIS UPDATE SUCKS, WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT CRAP LIKE PLAYING WITH ANYONE. I MEAN, YOU DON'T EVEN GET TO SEE YOUR OPPONENTS NAME. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, YOU'LL ALWAYS BE PLAYING WITH ANONYMOUS. AND I CAN'T PLAY WITH ANONYMOUS. THEY'LL CORRUPT MY LOLS AND EXPLODE MY VANS. I MEAN, EVEN A FRACKIN TETRIS GAME HAS WIFI WITH LEADERBOARDS AND NON-ANONYMOUS "WITH ANYONE" PLAY. WHY DOES SMASH WI-FI SUCK SO MUCH!!!?? AND DAMMIT, WE ALREADY KNEW THIS FROM ANOTHER UPDATE, WHY ARE YOU EXPLAINING IT AGAIN!!!!!?? AND WHY DID THEY SHOW THE DEMO ROSTER!!!?? NOW A BUNCH OF N00BS WILL GET CONFUSED AND THINK THIS IS THE STARTING ROSTER! BUT ONCE AGAIN, HOWCOME WE CAN'T KNOW OUT OPPONENT'S NAMES!? JUMP ULTIMATE STARS ALLOWED A RIVAL SYSTEM AND ALL THAT STUFF WITHOUT STINKY FRIEND CODES!
THIS UPDATE SUCKS ON MAH BAHLLZ!!!!!!!!!!

*achem* wow, I feel a lot better now :)

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
This thread needs to die. Appreciate Sakurai and ALL his updates. It cant be a "char" everyday.

I already posted this somewhere, but if moderators are condoning the complaints by making threads instead of locking them, then it needs to be posted again.

SAKURAI IS STILL AMAZING AND EPIC! STOP MAKING FUN OF HIM! Sakurai is doing an INCREDIBLE JOB AT MAKING THIS GAME, POSSIBLY THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you all complain because we didn't get a character updated tonight. WELL GUESS WHAT: IT WAS STILL AN AMAZING UPDATE! WHO GIVES A TESTEMUNCH IF IT WAS A CHARACTER?

Thank you, Sakurai, for ALL of your updates!

Jeeze, I wouldnt be surprised if he delayed the game just to take characters out or make SSE worse because of all your complaing, give you guys something really to complain about.

Sakurai is an epic win. And, Smashboards, YOU must recover!

Smash Ace
This thread needs to die. Appreciate Sakurai and ALL his updates. It cant be a "char" everyday.

I already posted this somewhere, but if moderators are condoning the complaints by making threads instead of locking them, then it needs to be posted again.

SAKURAI IS STILL AMAZING AND EPIC! STOP MAKING FUN OF HIM! Sakurai is doing an INCREDIBLE JOB AT MAKING THIS GAME, POSSIBLY THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you all complain because we didn't get a character updated tonight. WELL GUESS WHAT: IT WAS STILL AN AMAZING UPDATE! WHO GIVES A TESTEMUNCH IF IT WAS A CHARACTER?

Jeeze, I wouldnt be surprised if he delayed the game just to take characters out or make SSE worse because of all your complaing, give you guys something really to complain about.

QFT. That is epic win.
If I don't like an update, my usual first reaction is:
"oh, it was something boring? cool." and then I just set it aside and proceed to ignore it, never bothering me again.

Still, at all you whiners:
whining and complaining that an update sucked doesn't mean Sakurai will go and change it, or even post a better update the next day. It affects NOTHING. so basically, shutting up is the only way you'll get anywhere.
By the way, DR. MARIO and ROY are going to be the coolest updates ever. thank you.
=2007=

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
:)finally a OFFICAIL thread to talk about complaining. Mabye this will stop all the new threads comming that talk about the same thing

tirkaro

Smash Champion

Well that's just unfair. Why CAN'T we whine about the updates? I mean, seriously!

I WANT to complain about ****ty updates. I mean, I, being a hardcore smasher, am FORCED to stay up until 2:00 for these updates, or else I can't sleep, wondering what the update will be. So when you're constantly being greeted with lame updates like "widescreen support" and "metaknight's special moves", you will obviously be pissed off.

and if you don't like our whining, why the hell should you care? Just leave us be, instead of making 2000 topics about "STOP COMPLAINING! BE THANKFUL!!111!!!"

now, I don't like those spammy threads about how much these updates suck, which is exactly why this thread exists. So now we can't post our complaints in a thread that finally puts an end to these spammy topics because you think sakurai is god?

A forum is meant for people to talk and express thier opinions on a subject. So we can't express our opinions on something as trivial as an update on a site?

yes, sakurai is making the best game ever, but the real badguy here is the dojo: the dojo is nothing but torture. Making you stay up or wake up to a crappy update. OBVIOUSLY people WILL be aggravated about this stuff, and WILL complain about it. And this topic makes it much more bearable. why are you whiners-about-whiners still whining!?
this topic is just what we need, so put a sock in it.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
FINALLY !!!!!!!

i've been wondering when this thread would come up

Ahem*

these recent updates are pretty bad but.....................

hey i can deal until Feb 10th

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
You aren't forced to. Jsut forget the update and go to bed. If you can't sleep, talk to your doctor, get sleeping pills. But noone is forcing you to stay up until 2 am to see the update. In fact, the updates get better if you don't see them the second they appear. Why? Because you won't be thinking "I stayed up for THIS!?!?"

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
yes, sakurai is making the best game ever, but the real badguy here is the dojo: the dojo is nothing but torture. Making you stay up or wake up to a crappy update. OBVIOUSLY people WILL be aggravated about this stuff, and WILL complain about it. And this topic makes it much more bearable. why are you whiners-about-whiners still whining!?
But wait, aren't you torturing yourself by going to the Dojo site? There is never a guarantee that a good update will be posted on a nightly basis so rather than checking and refreshing the site so frequently, why not check every other night?

I kind of can't see why people get fed up with the smaller updates. In the end, it's going to help a great deal to some people and have no effect on others. I guess those who don't care about the small gimmicks are the competitive players (sorry for the assumption), who want to get to the point.

I've never seen so much hype and constant updates for a single game. Sakurai is building up so much anticipation that he is constantly under pressure to give us what we want, and more than half the time, we flame him for a trivial matter such as widescreen play or music from a game we never heard of. I am really thankful that he keeps us up to date, even if ever so gradually, before the release of the game. The delay of the release sure has put a strain in the consistency of the updates but he's doing it so that we have the ultimate multi-player game to date.

Complaining is all part of the hype and expectations, but at the same time, we have to realize that failing to meet these expectations will frustrate us. It's a little over two months until Brawl comes out and until then, we can only helplessly watch and read the updates. This is when we have to be patient. Stop indulging yourselves in this game. For two months, enjoy life, celebrate the holiday season and then expect the game at its masterpiece level.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Okay, dudes. The point of the "complaint" thread was not to give people another place to complain about complaining, but to just complain--in a civil, intelligible manner. For example, you could say that while the Dojo is providing daily updates, the updates don't tell us much of anything, and Sakurai doesn't deserve credit for providing fans with daily updates. (I don't subscribe to that view, but it's an argument one could make.)

If you want to whine, do it here, but make it intelligible (else we won't let you whine anymore). If you don't like whiners, then just take solace in the fact that they're not supposed to post everywhere about it now, but stay out of their thread--you've got the rest of the board to not whine.

Kirbynator23

Smash Apprentice
I can't tell you, you might be a paid assasin.
Well that's just unfair. Why CAN'T we whine about the updates? I mean, seriously!
First of all he does not make you wait till 2:00 to see the update. just wake up in the morning and look. Plus it's not the middle of the night in japan now is it? If they give a crappy update so what? It's not like each update changes the game completely right?

Wind Fish

Smash Rookie
Rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble!

Join in everyone!

Spamadelic:
Now, to salvage this post:
C-could it be?
http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/product_thumb.php?img=images/duck350.jpg&w=190&h=200&ow=350&oh=200
Yes, it's a duck!
Furthermore, it's a rubber duck!

On a more serious note, I feel that the people who have been complaining so far are mostly being impatient. Most updates have been at least decent, and there's only a limited amount of truly relevant information to be revealed, so "economising" is necessary.

However, there does seem to be an alarming amount of stuff that is probably already mostly known but remains to be revealed. This includes special moves updates for: Kirby, Pika, Samus, Bowser, DK, Yoshi, Peach, ICS, Zelda (ok, Z probably more important). Also FS updates for ZSS and Sonic. If all we get is that stuff and then some truly irrelevant updates (It's the title screen! ZOMFG!), then, well... I guess you'll complain even more and it still won't make any difference. :p

...please excuse me, I'm getting tired.

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
I don't like it when people complain about the updates we get. It is a privilege to get an update every day while most games get absolutely nothing. But I know this wont stop many of you from complaining about them. So, instead of flooding the General Brawl Discussion board with complaints, use this thread to post those things that just don't settle well with you.

There is no way to say if this thread will last very long, ESPECIALLY if people spam or flame, so keep that in mind whenever you post in here.
a very good idea i'm so proud of ya

gamer8

Smash Lord
Only updates I hated: Widescreen, Donkey kong makes his stand and friend codes. Updates I will hate in the future: Sonic: Final Smash, Zero suit Samus: Final smash.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
I'm still disappointed by the decision to have a computer take over players without any sort of notice. Veteran players can IMMEDIATELY identify when their opponent is no longer there. I mean, even the highest level of AI in Melee became ridiculously predictable, and the Wii just doesn't have the raw processing power to create algorithms which accurately reproduce the playing style of any given character. At the very least, have an alert when someone leaves. How much satisfaction are you going to derive from beating that CPU stand-in anyway? I'm just going to quit as soon as it becomes apparent I'm playing against computers. Otherwise, why not just play against computers normally? At least you get to choose stages, items, mode etc. without having to deal with the lottery system.

fighterkirby7

Smash Journeyman
i think this thread will(or IS) useless....but anyhow.....I WANT A CHARACTER! *crosses fingers for Lucario or Isaac*

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
It's mostly to try to stop the countless threads we get in the other rooms, so people can just do their complaining here instead of spamming with threads.

Last week....The only things I liked were the Dedede Final Smash and the X: Tunnel Scene music (which pwns *** by the way <3). Everything else was just...kinda lame...I mean, come on, Returning POKEMON?! Like I couldn't have figured that out myself...I want the confirmation of a specific Pokemon PC (Lucario), not Pokeballs I already knew about. Let's hope this upcoming week will be awesome-sauce (Lucario or any other PC), or at least have a new stage/game mode update.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Last week....The only things I liked were the Dedede Final Smash and the X: Tunnel Scene music (which pwns *** by the way <3). Everything else was just...kinda lame...I mean, come on, Returning POKEMON?! Like I couldn't have figured that out myself...I want the confirmation of a specific Pokemon PC (Lucario), not Pokeballs I already knew about. Let's hope this upcoming week will be awesome-sauce (Lucario or any other PC), or at least have a new stage/game mode update.
I thought Lucario popped out of a pokeball at E4A.

I find it hilarious that half the people in this thread don't actually understand what it is for.

Blue X

Smash Cadet
The only real updates I kind of grimaced at were Widescreen and You Must Recover! I'm happy for Nintendo releasing daily updates and am usually satisfied with the updates but those two just seemed to really rub me the wrong way. :\

Zanibas

Smash Cadet
I'm filing a complaint for all the people in the OMG thread right now who are disappointed that Nintendo is going green =P

Save the bonsai tree!

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
They gave us a Pokemon, that lies there until you throw it at something.

...Who the heck thinks up a 'Brick Type' Pokemon?
"Brikko, I choose you!"
Thump.
*...Picks it up, chucks it at other trainer*
Thud.

Seriously now, I understand they can't say too much but they're running dry on real substance. A week of Pokemon and old items, with some menu details a week. Better than nothing, but I've now decided to check the site every few days instead of first thing in the morning. I have to admit I enjoyed the online mode explanations, but I still miss characters and stages desperately.

Idfection

Smash Apprentice
I think this thread's purpose should be changed to hold both complainers, and those complaining about the complainers.

Because they're both equally annoying.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
These regurgitated E for All updates are making me lose my hype for the game. I mean, people argue that it's my fault that I saw the E for All videos and was spoiled ahead of time, but that doesn't merit anything, since my opinion is my own and can't be influenced by others yelling at me. These updates haven't been all that great to me at all and I can't help but feel a drop in my stomach everytime I see another Bonsley or Smash Ball update.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
One thing they've never gone near even with all these little updates, is explaining something fundamentally different from Melee. Just a couple screens showing how something has been changed or upgraded with an explanation of why it was done. Address things we'd actually be interested in that could be rather easy to explain if you pulled a designer in off his lunch break.

Tomorrow's another day, but I've finally lost the urge to check the site every day for what's new. They pushed it all out at once. Sonic, online, new characters, Single Player...That was all the cards they had. At least they convinced us all that this will be a good game.
...Stuck us with a couple months of 'That's all, Folks', but at least they said all they could.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I could probably track my hype for this game from a scale of 1-10 throghout the entire life of the Dojo. It was at a low point at the very start, steadily climbed, there were a few rough spots, but the months we were learning characters like every week or two was fantastic, and my hype was near the limit. Another huge spike was the Sonic update. How incredible. Dedede was nice too, but then after that it's crashed and barring a few semi-interesting updates its almost near a flatline. And this is with less than 10 weeks to go for Americans.

ITS A FACT: People get most excited about characters, as evidenced by the ridiculously large forum for their support topics. Such a huge drought of them is counter-intuitive to hype and buzz. A non-fanatic asked me if there was anything new about Brawl, he hadn't asked since Dedede came out. I said no, quite truthfully. Nothing that generates buzz in the lower key fans has been released lately.

YES I KNOW: The delay. There "had" to be a period where the updates were terrible because the game was delayed. I say, not really. There are still double updates on occasion, it's just that nothing generates excitement for the players. Some of the updates have really defied descrption and to argue that they're for the novices is kind of silly. The novices arent the ones obsessively checking the site and screenshots for every detail. They want to know what sort of shiny characters and stages will be in. Peppering November with ONE character or VERY exciting piece of information would have been good. Instead it's feel was thick with filler. Way to encourage the fans after they've been told that Reggie's statement of playing it before 08 was untrue.

DONT GIVE ME: That I'm ungrateful for the Dojo at all. Far from it. However, I like petting my cat, but after awhile, he bites me. I still like the cat, but obviously I don't for a minute after he bites me. PERHAPS it would have been better for the fans had only small pieces of info been released about brawl weekly or bi-weekly or even monthly. Why? The Dojo just makes us run endlessly on the hype hamsterwheel. Almost every update has some degree of ambiguity that can be argued about at length without getting any closer to any sort of truth. It isn't enough that our money will most definitely be Nintendo's, our minds have to be enslaved for more than half a year before the game comes out. So here we stand, finally past the (disappointing) day of December 3rd, the original release (may it rest in peace), and I can't feel the passion for this game at the moment. Isn't that what the Dojo was designed for?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It is a privilege to get an update every day while most games get absolutely nothing.
I get more and more sick of this argument every time I read it.

That's just bull****, pure and simple.

No, we are not "privileged". Yes, Sakurai is doing this for the fans, to an extent. And he has his own reasons for some of the decisions and for the weird commentary (He's - he's huge!), and so forth. Not everything he puts in is profit driven. I wouldn't want to say that.

But don't get confused. The purpose of the Dojo is not fanservice that is a privilege to us and some sort of burden for Nintendo that they don't have to give us and be grateful because they're so very nice.

No.

The Dojo is a marketing campaign. That is its primary purpose. It's there to build up hype. The Dojo is not some altruistic thing that Sakurai is doing. Sure, he probably enjoys it, and he knows that we like it, and he doesn't want to piss us off intentionally. But it benefits Nintendo as well. It's not a burden that they're nice enough to give us, it's a marketing campaign that's going to increase Nintendo's sales, and so they would have a motivation to do it even if they didn't give a crap about the fans (of course, giving us the impression that they do care about the fans is part of making a good marketing campaign, so that's the impression we ought to be getting either way).

Most games don't get these sorts of things not because their developers aren't as nice, but because the game is either too crappy to deserve that sort of treatment, or it doesn't have the sort of content that lends itself to that sort of treatment. They wouldn't have a "Dojo" for Mortal Kombat, because many of the characters will be the same, and the ones that aren't will be original or returning from even earlier installments. You won't have moments like unveiling that you'll be able to pit Sonic vs. Sub-Zero. A game like Final Fantasy won't have a site like Dojo because most of the information they'd be revealing would be story spoilers or completely boring (Guess what! Chocobos are returning!).

As such, I can criticize it from the standpoint that I am not being entertained by these updates and so it isn't being very good as a marketing campaign at the moment. They're giving me not the impression that they wanted me to be excited and entertained this past month, but rather the impression that they had already committed to 5 weekly updates before the delay, and it's better to post boring filler than to post nothing at all and really upset us. And maybe they don't want to reveal anything more than they originally planned to reveal. I don't "deserve" anything more, of course, but I also have no reason to act like I'm grateful for boring updates. I'm not gonna thank you if you chuck me a penny, just because a penny is better than nothing.

It seems, to me, that he should've done his updates differently. It's obvious that he should have spread out the more interesting ones more, since this lag of over a month of very significant updates, well, sucks and is boring. But maybe it was unforeseen. It's probably because of the delay. But I think their obvious strategy to make up for the delay (that strategy being "post mostly boring filler") is a bad one. They have plenty of more interesting things they could've been telling us, such as some more stages, more good music updates, videos featuring some of the characters that weren't at E4All, a veteran character, the starting roster (if they've revealed everyone on it), the number of characters that will be in the game, Zelda's special moves, more Assist Trophies (preferably ones that would reveal interesting info, such as disconfirming someone who was thought a possible addition). He set the bar too high with three months of exciting updates (Aug-Oct) to just drop it off like that.

Hell, I'd have been pretty excited if the number of characters had been an update, even though pretty much all it could have consisted of would be a character select screen full of question marks. It would've been a pretty trivial piece of information yet it would've at least provided lots of fodder for all the roster prediction threads, since they'd have had to either cut or add characters.

BUT, it seems to me that since we've pretty much used up those two months of delay, things should pick up this week or next week. So maybe the complaining will end soon.

Jumanji

Smash Cadet
So I realize that the updates are not at the same level they were a while ago. However there are two things. First of all I don't WANT to know all the characters before the game comes out. The dark outline of a challenger was a blast in Melee (so many years ago) and will be in Brawl as well. I know for a fact I can't help myself checking the Dojo, so I for one am GLAD he stopped posting characters. Secondly some of this stuff is actually more important than knowing the exact cast and move sets. The controller option, game modes and what not are more likely to affect how you will play the game. The updates cannot convey the hundreds of variables that go into makes a effective move-set or good character, but the online capabilities, and controller options will help you know if it is going to be a good game or not. Obviously they are not as flashy, and obviously when they drop bomb characters on us like Sonic and Pokemon Trainer it is more exciting, but those updates are really not surprises in the grand scheme of things. You KNOW there are new characters, you did not know how most of the other new stuff that will actually change your gaming experience.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Today's update freaking sucks! Most of my friends don't care about this game, so they won't play it! My god Sakurai sure let people down will you?

Top Bottom