• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Solid Snake Discussion Thread

Stryks

Smash Hero
Where he does it to link:

Note that Link is in a higher level, yet when he does the axe kick he does a sick jump while still performing the move, only until he connects he brings the kick down, and then combos:

on the yoshi stage:
He performs the attack while barely lifting himself from the ground...

an atatck u can do to the ground AND in the air? highly unlikely, answer (IMO) its his UPB move, on the air he does a sick jump and performs the move, while on the ground he just dashes a bit and performs it...

it can had a diferent affect on the ground than in the air, like links UPB

Formless

Smash Cadet
It doesn't go high enough to be an Up B move even still. The Up B move on the ground would still have to propel him up. The "ground" scene looks like a short hop to me.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Yeah it doesn't look like the Up B to me.. The one on the ground could be a different move just the same looking animation.

Can't really think of an Up B.. Uppercut?.. Or something like Samus' Spin upward..

BTW *Off Topic* the second I read "Crab Battle" I started LOLing. Love that..

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
now that you explained it i could definetly see it as his ^B move, oh and thx for the crab battle compliment.

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
I'm I the only one that wants another MGS character to be playable? I know Volgin was on the poll and I wouldn't have any problem accepting another MGS PC. However, most people don't have the same MGS love that I do and are quick to reject the possibilities of more MGS characters (either bc they oppose 3rd party chars or dislike (which often means they've never played) MGS Games). I would gladly fill one or two more character slots with MGS chars...Oh well, I guess there are always ATs.

Anyone else want more MGS chars?

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i think having another mgs character spoils the essence of snake in brawl. i mean when we first saw snake in brawl it was like "holy ****, its snake!" and i think now snake has that feel of a character that noone could have ever predicted but actually makes perfect sense to be in. and i think another smash brothers character spoils the feel of that

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
If anything else, some of Snake's people will be AT.

And Snake should be awesome since I think they would get some help from Hideo himself for advice.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I find it very doubtful that any other character beside Sanke (and possibly that Roy guy he talked to in the trailer) will be in Brawl.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Roy Campbell is old and doesn't fight. He's got no chance - trust me.

The ONLY character I care to see join Snake from MGS would be Liquid. If they can do it right, he's one BAMF, and Snake would have a rival.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Well, actually, I never in my entire knowing of Metal Gear Solid, EXPECTED Roy Campbell to be playable along with Snake. It was only an idea, since he was seen, along with Snake, in the first trailer.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
The ONLY character I care to see join Snake from MGS would be Liquid. If they can do it right, he's one BAMF, and Snake would have a rival.
on the contrary, i think Gray Fox has a bigger chance. but seeing as how things are, i expect an AT for the Ninja. maybe Liquid will be one too?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
on the contrary, i think Gray Fox has a bigger chance. but seeing as how things are, i expect an AT for the Ninja. maybe Liquid will be one too?
Finally someone who thinks like me:), I truly believe that Liquid snake or Ninja would be a great addition simply because it wouldn't make sense to have snake as the only representor of his series, but then again they are all third party which Sakurai stated we would only see 2 more besides snake :( and people have a good prediction of who they might be So.... and Roc.....

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
that's how third party will be though, a single rep for the franchise, most likely for the company. but AT's are great, since we can still see people like Gray Fox (or Raiden, hopefully not) and Liquid. maybe Psycho Mantis can make an appearance...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
yea Mantis could use his psychic powers and juggle nearby players around everyboy around which would pwn, so yea assist trophies are a good way they could make an appearance

Ash Hol

Smash Apprentice
My opinion: At first (actually til about ten seconds ago) i thought it was a dumb idea to put snake in brawl. the reason being is because he's to realistic of a character. but now, i see why it would be cool. it adds diversity to the game and elements not seen before. and he has so much potential for a moveset. Im looking forward to snake in brawl

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
Snake FTW!...!

I think a grappling hook would be better for an up b than the axe kick. Snake used a rope/hook thingy to climb up a building in MGS (while Liquid was attacking him with a helicopter :) ) IMO his RPG to ground attack he performed on Pit should be a d-tilt (like Samus' napalm). I think Snake will be heavy and floaty also like Samus. I also think he should be the happy medium between C.Falcon and Ganondorf as far as power, speed, and some borrowed attacks. Add those grenades and RPGs in the mix and you have a strong character.

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to guestimate a few Metal Gear things that could lend themselves to brawl:

Attack Trophies:
-Gray Fox: Act like Hitmonlee/Scizor and chase after an opponent.
-Solidus: Tenticle Lashings, Tenticle Missles, Speed dash
-Volgin: Lightning Surrounds him, much like the legendary electric dog pokemon
-Raikov: Grabs the opponents nuts: instantly KOing or stunning them :laugh:

Items:
-C4: Replaces MSB
-Cardboard Box: Replaces Cloaking Device

Of course the ATs that are similiar to the Pokemon would be changed somewhat to warrant their inclusion. Both the items are dependent on if the old Rare items return (to be honest I'd prefer the old Goldeneye MSB).

Many MG characters have attributes that would make them very unique fighters in the Smash Brothers series. I'd love to see another MG character or two added in the next installment if the 3rd party thing turns out not to be a one game deal.

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think Snake has the potential to either be completely awesome or rather boring. I imagine punches and kicks would be his A moves, his roll from MGS2 would be the rolling move, and I expect that his box will serve as a shield, similar to Yoshi's egg.

Using B for projectiles, such as grenades, would be fairly cool, but because Snake is a fairly realistically depicted character (except in Twin Snakes, where he's absoludicrous) I don't imagine his specials being anything overly fancy. Although I'd really enjoy seeing a bit of the CQC from MGS3 mixed in, especially for the throws and the like (and yes, I'm aware that that wasn't Solid Snake).

Captain Fabulous

Smash Journeyman
Guys i know this is way off subject but OMFG the MGS 4 gameplay is amazing! i can't wait to get it for my ps3! omfg!! and David Hayter is quiting Snake's voice after Brawl and MGS4 and Grey Fox has a Huge chance to be in i mean he's boe soo ****ing awesome!

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think Snake has the potential to either be completely awesome or rather boring. I imagine punches and kicks would be his A moves, his roll from MGS2 would be the rolling move, and I expect that his box will serve as a shield, similar to Yoshi's egg.

Using B for projectiles, such as grenades, would be fairly cool, but because Snake is a fairly realistically depicted character (except in Twin Snakes, where he's absoludicrous) I don't imagine his specials being anything overly fancy. Although I'd really enjoy seeing a bit of the CQC from MGS3 mixed in, especially for the throws and the like (and yes, I'm aware that that wasn't Solid Snake).
I think it'd be awesome if Snake got some CQC moves, I think he's getting them in MGS4, so why not Brawl? They'd work awesomely as throws.

Guys i know this is way off subject but OMFG the MGS 4 gameplay is amazing! i can't wait to get it for my ps3! omfg!! and David Hayter is quiting Snake's voice after Brawl and MGS4 and Grey Fox has a Huge chance to be in i mean he's boe soo ****ing awesome!
I'd love to see Gray Fox as a PC, but I just don't think it'll happen. I'm positive that he'll atleast be a trophy or an attack trophy. And Yes, MGS4 does look like its going to kick some ***. Kinda sucks about Hayter if it's true...MGS4 is supposed to be the end of Solid Snake's story so it'd kind of make sense. Then again, there's always a possibility of a MGSPO2 so I wouldn't call hayter out just yet.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be kinda dissappointed if Hayter's voice wasn't in Brawl (maybe they can just take clips from other MGS games and make it work if they don't want to hire him :laugh:)

Captain Fabulous

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be awesome if Snake got some CQC moves, I think he's getting them in MGS4, so why not Brawl? They'd work awesomely as throws.

I'd love to see Gray Fox as a PC, but I just don't think it'll happen. I'm positive that he'll atleast be a trophy or an attack trophy. And Yes, MGS4 does look like its going to kick some ***. Kinda sucks about Hayter if it's true...MGS4 is supposed to be the end of Solid Snake's story so it'd kind of make sense. Then again, there's always a possibility of a MGSPO2 so I wouldn't call hayter out just yet.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be kinda dissappointed if Hayter's voice wasn't in Brawl (maybe they can just take clips from other MGS games and make it work if they don't want to hire him :laugh:)
h dopn't worry he's doing Snakes's voice for brawl ^^ and yeah the chances are slim but Grey Fox as PC would be jsut amazing!

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna write up a moveset for him, with a particular emphasis on his stealth. I figure his shield can be the legendary box, ^B the Stinger, grenades as special moves and the Metal Gear as a Final Smash. You know, standard stuff. But I also want to try to get in the bandana and stealth camo somehow, as well as the CQC for grabs and throws. I'm trying to think of any other items or weapons that could be applied. perhaps the coolant spray from MGS2?

You guys got any ideas?

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
I think when he grabs, he should put them in the choke hold he does. Then the throws can be cqc based. Grenades <B> and the longer you hold it down the futher they go. Like if you just tap B> then he pretty much drops it at his feet. He can have his typical punch punch roundhouse combo.

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, well. I would rather Snake be about stealth and stunning the enemies to lay the hurt on than mass amounts of explosives. And Plisken used coolant spray too, you know. So it's not just Raiden stuff.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Yeah Grey fox would be really cool and that Metal Gear Final smash would be kinda cool what do ya think MG Rex? or would it be MG Ray?
Rex. Ray wasn't on a Nintendo system.

Okay... I think I found that moveset.

This is courtesy of Chief Mendez from the " Prepare to be Amazed and Astounded: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions - UPDATED Daily(ish)" thread. THIS IS NOT MINE, AND I GIVE FULL CREDIT TO CHIEF MENDEZ. Merely posting on his behalf.

"I am like you; I have no name."

-Melee (A) Attacks-
A - Straight left punch.
AA - Straight right.
AAA - The two punches above, followed by a straight kick.

Dash+A - Gray skids along the ground, left foot leading, then thrusts both palms forwards to attack.

Side+A - A kick similar to his AAA finisher, only his foot leaps out once, then bends back toward his chest, then strikes out again.
Up+A - Gray does a quick frontflip, hitting above him and sending himself forwards by a foot or two.
Down+A - A forward leg sweep that trips the enemy.

Side Smash+A - Gray leaps forwards, delivering a single-spin roundhouse kick.
Up Smash+A - Gray rests his shoulders on the ground, pulls his knees into his chest, then thrusts his feet upwards.
Down Smash+A - Gray slams his fist into the ground ahead of him in a wide arc.

Neutral Air - A slicing hand chop delivered horizontally.
Forward Air - A lateral spinning heel chop with Gray's left foot.
Backward Air - A backhand punch from Gray's left fist.
Up Air - A single-footed, upwards backflip kick.
Down Air - A one-foot stomp. Likened to Link's Dair because it's not a single hit like C. Falcon or Ness'.

Grab - Using one arm, Gray reaches out ahead of him.
Running Grab - Gray's arm arches over his head and reaches out (more lag).
Grab Hit - (Gray holds his opponent in one hand once grabbed) Hits the enemy in the face with lightning-quick jabs.
Throw Forward - Gray tosses the enemy in front of him, then axe kicks them into the ground ahead of him.
Throw Backward - Gray spins around, launching the enemy overhand behind him.
Throw Upward - Holding the enemy by the collar, Gray winds up then delivers a wicked uppercut, sending the opponent upwards.
Throw Downward - Drops the enemy on the ground, then disappears. Reappears a split-second later above them, landing with both feet on his prone adversary.

-Special (B) Moves-

B - Shadow Draw: During any maneuver outside of Gray's Brawl attack, grabs, and ledge grabs, pressing B by itself causes Gray to flick his HF blade in front of him, too fast for the human eye to see anything but a silver blur. Think Fox's blaster, only hand-to-hand and usable during other moves.

Side+B - Afterimage: Gray's "eye" flares red, and a ghostly image of him flys forwards, doing nothing but disappearing after about 10ft. If it does make contact, the image changes to a picture of him attacking with his sword, and knocks back the target while damaging it. (If you Smash this, 3 images are sent high, middle, and low, though they only go half as far)

Up+B - Apparition: Gray slips his index and middle fingers in front of his face, then teleports to a location dictated by the control stick. No damage. Think Farore's Wind with considerably less lag.

Down+B - Substitution: Gray's eye lights up and he takes on a defensive crouch, sword drawn. When hit by anything in this position, he disappears, then reappears behind the attacker (no matter where he is). The exception is thrown items, which causes him to reappear right where he was. Note that he can't attack immediately after reappearing.

Final Smash - "Retribution": Gray's eye burns bright, and his exoskeleton freaks out (lots of blue, flickering afterimages). During this time, if Gray makes physical contact with an opponent, he reappears behind them, saying "over here...", then delivers his powerful thrust punch; the same one that he uses against Snake during the fight in MGS1 when attacked while standing still. Insane lateral knockback and damage.

-Other-

Taunt - Gray holds out his sword at his waist and tilts his head back, saying; "I've come from another world to do battle with you." He returns to his normal stance right after "battle".

Kirby - Kirby wears Gray Fox's mask and suit, but the faceplate is gone, so we can see a sickly white Kirby underneath.

Winning Phrase 1 - A Genome Soldier plushie falls in front of Gray, and while still in the air, he slices it to pieces with his Shadow Draw.
Winning Phrase 2 - Gray fox holds his sword straight out in front of his chest, then puts it away, saying "Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon."

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
Vagrant Lustoid's First Moveset - Solid Snake

Vagrant Lustoid's Maiden Moveset - Solid Snake

Name: Solid Snake
Developer: Kojima Productions/Konami
First Appearance: Metal Gear
Other Notable Appearances: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Espionage Action, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel, Metal Gear AC!D, Metal Gear AC!D2, Metal Gear 2: Snake’s Revenge

Height: 4/5
Weight: 3/5
Attack Power: 3/5
Grab Range: 2/5
Running Speed: 3/5
Jump: 3/5
Falling Speed: 3/5
Rolling Speed: 2/5

Regular Attacks:

A: Punch (3-4%)

AA: Punch (3-4%)

AAA: Kick (Snake finishes the combo with a powerful kick to the mid-region. Low backwards knockback. 5%)

Dash A: Diving Somersault (Snake does a low somersault in the air, knocking people over. Causes some upwards knockback, and if Snake goes off a platform, he automatically grabs onto it. 5-6%)

Dash AA: Crawl (Snake drops to the ground and crawls at about the same speed as he walks, meaning that all high and mid region strikes miss him, but he is unable to perform anything other than his standard B move or hide in his box. Hitting A while crawling causes him to stand back up, with a slight lag)

F Tilt: Rabbit Punch (Snake swings his fist from the side to land a punch in the kidney region. 4-6%)

U Tilt: Uppercut (Snake slums his fist into the opponent’s chin. Minor upwards knockback. 5-6%)

D Tilt: Cleensweep (Snake ducks and slashes his foot out across his front, hitting anyone there in the low region. Anyone hit is knocked to the ground. 4-5%)

F Smash: Puncture (Snake lunges forward, knife in hand. Medium knockback, 12-22%)

U Smash: Knee Smash (Snake jerks his knee up into the opponent’s mid region, sending them backwards slightly and up a fair distance. 10-15%)

D Smash: Axe Kick (Snake performs a powerful downwards kick on his opponent, sending them back and down. Good degree of horizontal knockback. 13-20%)

Aerial Attacks:

N Air: Knife Slash (Snake makes a quick swipe with his knife. 6-10%)

F Air: Spin Kick (Snake spins for a powerful kick in mid air. A little starting lag, but reasonable horizontal knockback. 10-15%)

B Air: Elbow Slam (Snake jerks his elbow backwards into whoever is behind him. Reasonable downwards and backwards knockback. 6-8%)

U Air: Tumble Kick (Snake tumbles forwards slightly, applying two kicks in the rear upper region halfway through the spin. The first kick has low upwards knockback, the second has medium upwards knockback. Each kick does 5-6%)

D Air: Kangaroo Kick (Snake pulls his legs up to his chest then pistons them downwards, causing a meteor smash. 8-12%)

Special Attacks:

B: C4 Explosives (Snake sets a small block of C4 on the ground beneath him, or if there is someone within his arm range in front of him, on the character's back. This takes a second, leaving him open to attack. Snake can set up to five C4 at a time, and they are detonated by double tapping B. Each creates a moderate explosion and knockback on the ground, and good horizontal and vertical knockback when attatched to a character. 3-8%)

Forward B: Grenade (If B is tapped while forward is being held, Snake lobs a grenade underarm. The grenade explodes a second and a half later, causing moderate to good knockback. Snake can only throw a grenade once every two seconds. Damage depends on proximity to the grenade. 5-15%)

Smash B: Flamethrower (Snake pulls out an aerosol can and a lighter, creating a momentary lag, and then fires a gout of flame in front of him, which has quite a good distance. It does reasonable damage but has almost no knockback. 25-30%)

Up B: Stinger Missile (Snake pulls out his Stinger launcher and fires it downwards, rocketing himself upwards. The distance gained on this attack is rather good, and anyone caught by the explosion below is knocked back, low if caught by the explosion, high if hit. 5-10%)

Down B: Stealth Camouflage (Snake crouches and activates the camo. He becomes almost invisible for around 5 seconds, making him immune to energy projectiles like fire, lasers, etc. The camouflage takes ten seconds after ending to recharge.)

Final Smash: Shadow Moses (Metal Gear REX leaps onto the platform where Snake is standing, and proceeds to try to squash Snake while firing off a variety of missiles, bullets and laser beams across the whole arena. Those around Snake get squashed for very high damage, and the explosions, bullets and lasers all do varying amounts of damage and knockback. Finally, Snake fires a missile at the radome and we hear Liquid scream “SNAAAAKE!” as Metal Gear REX collapses and explodes for a final very-high knockback explosion to those near it. Snake takes a 50% damage hit at the end of the Smash, but no knockback.)

Grapple Attacks:

Grab: CQC (Snake reaches forward and pulls a character in, swiveling the character so that he/she faces away from Snake, and holds a knife in front of their neck as he holds with the other arm. Very short ranged, can’t be used for recovery.)

Grab Attack: Throttle (Snake chokes the character. Throttle can be repeated rapidly, until after about 5 times we hear a snap and Snake lets the character slump to the ground. 2-3%, 10% for the neck-break)

F Throw: Surprise (Snake lowers the knife and slaps a C4 on the opponent’s back, then pushes them forwards a bit, before the C4 explodes a second later, tossing the character with good upwards and forward knockback. 8-9%)

B Throw: Roundhouse (Snake pushes the character behind him with his one hand, and uses the momentum to perform a roundhouse kick, sending the character flying backwards behind him, while he returns to his original stance. 4-6%)

U Throw: Foxhound (Snake slams the hand with the knife in it into the character’s temple to stun them, then crouches and jumps up, pushing the character up and releasing them at the top of his jump. Only average upwards knockback. 4-7%)

D Throw: CQC Plant (Snake kicks behind the captured character’s legs, then swings to the side as he slams the character down into the ground. No knockback, high damage. 10-14%)

Recovery/Defensive:

Shield: Cardboard Box (Snake ducks beneath his box. He can crawl around slowly in the box, and projectiles cannot hurt him while in the box, but the box is only half as strong as other shields against melee attacks. When destroyed, it falls apart and Snake is left crouching and flashing for a few seconds, a little longer than a regular shieldstun, and then recovers.)

Edge Recovery: Snake Eyes (Snake pulls himself up from the edge in a single smooth movement, headbutting anyone near the ledge as he flips and lands on his feet. 4-5%)

Standing Recovery: Undercutter (Snake swipes his legs out in front of him as he springs up into a crouch, and then lunges up quickly, performing a minor headbutt. Both attacks have very minor knockback. Legs: 2-3%, Headbutt 4%)

Other Data:

Taunt:
! and accompanying sound effect. Very quick, so can be taunt-spammed.

Victory Pose 1: Snake is standing there with a cigarette, then he plucks it from his mouth, smirks, and flicks it at the screen.

Victory Pose 2: Snake is crouched with his hand to his ear, listening to the codec. He then stands up, and states “Mission Complete, Colonel.”

Victory Pose 3:
Snake does a diving tumble on from the side of the screen, glances round and then ties his bandana on, tapping it twice and grinning.

Loss Pose: Snake jerks upwards and backwards, and slowly slumps to the floor. If it had sound, I’d also have his echoing grunt as he dies, and then “Snake? SNAKE?! SNAAAAAKE?!!”

Entrance: Snake comes in all Sons of Liberty style, falling from the sky invisible, with a cloak flapping behind him, then hits the ground and electricity sparks around him as he becomes visible, stands up and then takes a CQC pose.

Costumes:
1. Twin Snakes Sneaking Suit (Basic Costume we’ve already seen)
2. Twin Snakes Sneaking Suit with diving equipment and mask
3. Plisken Iroquis outfit, green SEAL uniform
4. Metal Gear AC!D outfit. It may have been a whack game, but ****ed if the costume wasn’t sweet.
5. Some variation on Old Snake, with the white hair and the moustache.
6. Green and yellow monkey camouflage from Snake vs Monkey, with Zombie facepaint.

Taco Pie

Smash Rookie
how many people here have beaten or played all the metal gear solid games even though it wouldn't happen they should put grey fox or vamp in brawl
greyfox

vamp

Maybe they can appear as Assist Trophies. Gray Fox could dash in a linear path extremely quickly, like at the speed Porygon comes out of Pokeballs in the games. Vamp, on the other hand, can maybe throw a few spreads of knives, maybe in a 60 degree arc.

However, they are a little too... violent to be playable characters.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I dount we'll see MGS4 Raiden, seeing how the game aint coming out for the wii, so why would sakurai add a character to promote a game for a console of another company?

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Eh, I never cared much for Vamp. But I am sure if Gray Fox isnt an AT, Raiden will be so as to promote MGS4 and his new ninja self

Again, MGS2 wasn't on a Nintendo system, and neither will 4 (it certainly won't be on the Wii, so unless Nintendo comes out with a smexy new HD next gen system, it's not gonna happen). Nintendo probably wouldn't let them advertise for a game that won't be on their system, much less advertise for a game on their competitors system.

Top Bottom