• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Mushroom

Smash Apprentice
ROFL, My mains are low tiers! I main Lucas, Ness and Sonic. My secondaries are Mario and Luigi ROFL again, all my characters I play as are sucky!:laugh:

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I expect a BIG change in the next version, so many stuff has been discovered its not even funny

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Discovered? Like...wavedash in brawl?
lolol
No, not hax.

hax will never affect this tier list.

I was talking more along the lines of matchups, potential, some AT's have been discovered, not that big of a deal, just minor ones. etc etc

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
A lot of characters are overrated, and a lot are underrated. That's just how it's going be
What characters do you mean? If were alking characters that are actually n the metagame(characers that place well in tournies) MK and snake just dominate the rest of the cast in this broken game. Yes characters like Wario and lucario may seem underrated by the competitive smash community(not people who are on smash boards, people who actually go to in person tourneies,and weekly firnedlies at a college, which is what I do in norcal ) but in reality axis proved otherwise as futile got 2nd and is 2nd ranked in socal as the best wario in the US and lucario seems to be popping up everywhere with good tournament placement. Marth maybe overated on the boards, but in reality he is just missing a little bit to be in the top tier, in other words he is missing just a little bit to be able to win tournies like the rest of the top tier.
And really who cares abut who is underrated or overrated in the smash scene? If your just a smasher who plays at home it doesent matter at all, the comptetive tourney going community has shown that only a few can thrive in this mmetagame, and to tell you the truth, nothing could be more true. I used to main marth, but i realized that I was placing low beacuse my character is simply inferior to the top tier(and also wario, who will be in the top tier in the next list as his tourney results prove) so I switched to DDD and I actually place high. Your question has nothing to do with the catagorization of characters in this metagame, its simply a fanboy question, this thread has already gone to character specifics rather than disscussion on the actual tiers themselves and the evoluton of this metagame, so you might as well not post stupid comments like that and go to biweeklies like a true competive smasher and not talk about such frivilous topics.

Iron Mushroom

Smash Apprentice
What characters do you mean? If were alking characters that are actually n the metagame(characers that place well in tournies) MK and snake just dominate the rest of the cast in this broken game. Yes characters like Wario and lucario may seem underrated by the competitive smash community(not people who are on smash boards, people who actually go to in person tourneies,and weekly firnedlies at a college, which is what I do in norcal ) but in reality axis proved otherwise as futile got 2nd and is 2nd ranked in socal as the best wario in the US and lucario seems to be popping up everywhere with good tournament placement. Marth maybe overated on the boards, but in reality he is just missing a little bit to be in the top tier, in other words he is missing just a little bit to be able to win tournies like the rest of the top tier.
And really who cares abut who is underrated or overrated in the smash scene? If your just a smasher who plays at home it doesent matter at all, the comptetive tourney going community has shown that only a few can thrive in this mmetagame, and to tell you the truth, nothing could be more true. I used to main marth, but i realized that I was placing low beacuse my character is simply inferior to the top tier(and also wario, who will be in the top tier in the next list as his tourney results prove) so I switched to DDD and I actually place high. Your question has nothing to do with the catagorization of characters in this metagame, its simply a fanboy question, this thread has already gone to character specifics rather than disscussion on the actual tiers themselves and the evoluton of this metagame, so you might as well not post stupid comments like that and go to biweeklies like a true competive smasher and not talk about such frivilous topics.
Lucas=Underrated Marth=Overrated IMO

gantrain05

Smash Master
i think marth is fully capable of winning in a tourney environment, maybe not just playing as marth, like snake and meta mains can just play their one character and win, but maining someone else only requires you have counterpicks, i main 21 of the 35 characters, and not a single top tier character, and i do very well in tournies, it all comes down to counterpicks.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
TR4Q!!!!!!!! every one whos posted on this thread ever just got hit with the classic controller

its all about the skills of the player not the characters come on wtf: :urg:
Yeah, but if a MK and a C.Falcon of the SAME skill level fight against each other. WHO WINS?

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I want an honest answer on my character pick of Mario.

Should I stick with him if I seem to use him just as well against my friend as I use Snake and/or Meta Knight?

Or would moving up in the tiers give me a better chance at tournament placing.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I want an honest answer on my character pick of Mario.

Should I stick with him if I seem to use him just as well against my friend as I use Snake and/or Meta Knight?

Or would moving up in the tiers give me a better chance at tournament placing.
my advice would be use who you are the most comfortable with, it doesn't matter their spot on the tier list if you don't like playing as them, mario is a capable character, u just gotta know when to counterpick.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Any character can theoretically win tourneys. However, it would be best to counterpick for Mario's toughest matchups (Dedede, MK, GaW)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
There was ONE meta knight main in the tourny i was at last night, and it was really fun.

Not saying meta shouldn't be banned, just saying it's a lot more fun without him. Fun tournies are good amirite??

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Honestly, this thread should shut up with "TR4Q" one day.

Anyway, I haven't read most of this thread for obvious reasons. Is anyone looking to move down a tier?

cman

Smash Ace
In recent tournaments not as many metaknights are in the top 10's nowadays
Possibly the "Let's threaten to ban him so people go back to their other characters because they anticipate a ban" effect?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Possibly bowser, who said he was above peach?
For some reason the SBR loves Bowser, unless he does terrible the next months (more than he is doing now), I don't think they'll move him to Low. I can see him below Ike. I see Peach in top of Mid or bottom of High in the next years

gantrain05

Smash Master
For some reason the SBR loves Bowser, unless he does terrible the next months (more than he is doing now), I don't think they'll move him to Low. I can see him below Ike. I see Peach in top of Mid or bottom of High in the next years
i see potential in bowser as being decent, but putting him above peach just doesn't seem right, especially now after all the breakthru's of all the peach mains, i can definatly see her somewhere in high tier in the near future.

DADdedede

Smash Cadet
i agree, peach is a lot better than bowser, and she will definately be moving up the tier list

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Link, Sonic, Peach, Olimar, Mario, Sheik, and Captain Falcon should all be a few places higher. They all have some subtle advantages that some how make them place higher in tournaments.
Maybe, they are just placing well in smaller tournaments where you don't have as much of a Metafactor, but they are still doing a lot better than the tier list would suggest.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Yes, that is one of the reasons he is so low, and the fact that his recovery is bad (obvious). Yeah he'd be higher if Marth couldn't infinite him.
Um he can't though. It's a CHAIN GRAB! With Super grab break (found by Ref I believe) You can escape with 15% from the grab and get hit by downsmash (guaranteed)

Does everyone in the backroom honestly think that Ness is infinited by Marth?

In case you wanted to know the Super grab break is done by spinning the control stick and flicking the C-stick.

Seriously, I think Ness deserves low mid, per see since the infinite is a bust. And I can't believe someone posted that Ness is CG by everyone! Lame.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
i think marth is fully capable of winning in a tourney environment, maybe not just playing as marth, like snake and meta mains can just play their one character and win, but maining someone else only requires you have counterpicks, i main 21 of the 35 characters, and not a single top tier character, and i do very well in tournies, it all comes down to counterpicks.
How is Marth capable of winning tourneys not going Marth? then he wouldn't be Marth. And Marth is on top of high tier so there should be no disputes over whether or not he can place well in tournaments. He was also 7th on Ankoku's thread before it was closed.

And it is not a chain grab. That is a name that some people call it. It is really called a grab release infinite. And I think that you can ask the SBR if they knew about that and if it actually works if you want to know that, because on the Marth Boards' character matchup thread for Ness, we had Ness mains there, and no one said anything about it, PKNintendo. I believe I even saw you there (although I may be wrong there) and we put that matchup at 70-30 with no Ness main disputes.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Um he can't though. It's a CHAIN GRAB! With Super grab break (found by Ref I believe) You can escape with 15% from the grab and get hit by downsmash (guaranteed)

In case you wanted to know the Super grab break is done by spinning the control stick and flicking the C-stick.

Seriously, I think Ness deserves low mid, per see since the infinite is a bust. And I can't believe someone posted that Ness is CG by everyone! Lame.
Just because Ness can be ''infinited'' with Marth doesn't mean he lower on the list for that. Yes, his matchup with Marth will be lowered, but you still have to account for all the other matchups. And beside, it's not like Marth's matchup with Ness wasn't good without the CG.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Just because Ness has an infinite with Marth doesn't mean he lower on the list for that. Yes, his matchup with Marth will be lowered, but you still have to account for all the other matchups. And beside, it's not like Marth's matchup with Ness wasn't good without the CG.
Yes but since Marth as an infinite on him, ANYONE can pick up Marth to CP Ness and just grab him once per stock and win the match. That is why he is that low IMO.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
How is Marth capable of winning tourneys not going Marth? then he wouldn't be Marth. And Marth is on top of high tier so there should be no disputes over whether or not he can place well in tournaments. He was also 7th on Ankoku's thread before it was closed.

And it is not a chain grab. That is a name that some people call it. It is really called a grab release infinite. And I think that you can ask the SBR if they knew about that and if it actually works if you want to know that, because on the Marth Boards' character matchup thread for Ness, we had Ness mains there, and no one said anything about it, PKNintendo. I believe I even saw you there (although I may be wrong there) and we put that matchup at 70-30 with no Ness main disputes.
I KNOW. But it's not an infinite. It has nothing to do with the matchup, and even on the thread people have discussed that it WASN'T an infinite. Just a CG (if you escaped it properly) It's a sad misconception that I doubt will be fixed. Maybe in 3 years.:ohwell:

Yoshi grab releases Wario (ZSS too) Wario cannot do much about. Ness moves backwards when Marth releases and must be regrabbed by MOVING (if you perform the Super grab break) of you don't, than Marth can regrab you standing still.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer

Wow, you sure are uptight about this. Weren't you the one complaining about it in the match up thread? It's such a big deal AMIRITE??

Ness is low tier because he's not a very good character. His tools don't allow him to compete with the better characters.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Yes but since Marth as an infinite on him, ANYONE can pick up Marth to CP Ness and just grab him once per stock and win the match. That is why he is that low IMO.
They cannot, since the skill they need to invest with Marth is decent. I've beaten plenty of players this way. Again. It. Is. Not. An. Infinite.

You CAN escape it.

Earthbound360 said:
Thanks again to Ref for this. You can always rely on him for new stuff.

This is AMAZINGLY useful. It heavily decreases the amount of damage you take from a deathgrab, maximizes your distance, and can support surprise breaks. You may get grab released earlier than the opponent may expect and they may mess up with the next grab or pummelling.

Now remember the science behind grab breaks. Every button press makes you get closer to the grab break, and so does every rotation of the control stick. The C-stick really helps for some reason also, probably because it is inputting 2 commands at once.

To do it, have the C-stick set to specials or smashes (tilts may also work). Now rapidly spin the control stick smoothly, and tap the C-stick repeatedly. Remember to let the C-stick go back to the neutral position. I reccommend flicking the C-stick. If you B-stick (and probably if you tilt also), you have to smash the stick to maximize the effect.

Spin control stick and flick C-stick, got it?

And remember to use this even outside of the deathgrab. It could make people overestimate how long they can pummel you and allow you to escape a throw.
Im uptight because of the misinformed messages people give out about Ness. What would you do Steel? Is it wrong that I m giving out a general message that this isn't an infinite? I know the matchup is stacked against Ness, im not changing the matchup. It's an ASPECT of the matchup that has me worked up.

If MK had CG on Marth, but is was overrated and mutated into an infinite, it would take MONTHS to change that it ISN'T an infinite but a CG.

Long story short. Im disappointed at Ness placement, but I think he can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom