• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Smash Hero
After a full spring and summer of competition, the SBR felt as though it was time to take the first stab at a tier list for Brawl. Before I post it, let me remind you all of a few important things:

1. Tier placement doesn't necessarily reflect your ability to beat your friends with a specific character. You might beat your friend's Metaknight with Sonic, but that doesn't mean Sonic is top tier. It means you win that matchup against your friend. Tiers are not absolute measurements of match outcomes.

2. Instead of measuring match outcomes, tiers are more a measurement of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment. It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment. So yes, maybe Yoshi is a beast in teams or Ganon is REALLY good with items turned on... but this list measures somethingd different than those things.

3. This list is based on a combination of tournament result data, extensive discussions with top players and tournament hosts and looking at general trends in play in the current competitive metagame. It took a lot of work on the part of some of the best minds in Smash to compile this list.

4. This list might change with time. It is based on how we perceive the game to be and play it competitively NOW. However, if a replacement for l-canceling is discovered or new tactics cause the game to evolve over time, this list could change. So if you main a character that isn't near the top, keep playing and evolving their game. You might be the one, like Chu Dat's Ice Climbers back in Melee, that cause people's opinions to change.

5. That said, don't give up hope! Just because your character isn't ranked at or near the top, doesn't mean you can't do fantastic things with them with enough talent and effort. We do not publish this list to encourage players to change their main tournament character. If anything, it should serve as a challenge to take the game to the next level.

6. In Smash, any character can win in any matchup if you are smarter and better than your opponents by a wide enough margin. So keep playing to win and work hard to be the best player you can be, regardless of which character you use.
I'd just like to point out that this part of it is so amazing, it should be stickied so people could read it.

Oh, but it is stickied, and people still don't read it, and they still baww about tiers =.=;

random comment, continue on.

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Play whoever you want, then. There are still players who win with lower characters.

As for your complaint about imbalanced games, perhaps fighting games shouldn't be your competitive genre of choice...
well you see , still think that tier dosen't mean all , and I loves fighting games , and if had to complain about unbalance game and never play them well i should complain about countless games , but one of the most perfectly balanced game of all times remain Starcraft :p

Barge

All I want is a custom title
well you see , still think that tier dosen't mean all , and I loves fighting games , and if had to complain about unbalance game and never play them well i should complain about countless games , but one of the most perfectly balanced game of all times remain Starcraft :p
Thats not a fighting game, thats a war game.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Link ? low .... wow tr4q .... I think if you leanr to play well with the caracter you want there is no barrier such has tier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWMen9KvflM

Link vs MK equal skill AND MK has a advantage because its on Norfair.

2 characters

1 rly slow one who cant jump well

1 rly fast one who CAN jump well

whos going to dodge that lava better?

tiers are a load of bull, why do people think its a best character list? so many elements a tier doesnt have in it. Also since there are WAY more meta knights than Links who do you think are going to win more tournaments, also the players are rarely evenly matched, hell a level 9 competition would be more accurate -.-

Oh ya and look at melee tier Links WAY higher on that but you wanna know what ive been hearing?: Links been heavily improved since the last game. ok so why would he be lower if thats the case?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Poor Link. Unless they change his entire moveset radically, he'll always be low.

I hope that for the next Smash game they get rid of all the character's moves and make new ones.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Poor Link. Unless they change his entire moveset radically, he'll always be low.

I hope that for the next Smash game they get rid of all the character's moves and make new ones.
Change Captain Falcon's moveset?

HERESY!

Royale

Smash Journeyman

You do realize it takes alot of research and development to make those move sets? Not only do you need to hire acrobats, but you need to have motion capture equipment as well. And trying to motion capture 36 different moves, everything from the characters idle animation to jumping, to aerials. All of that needs to be played out by actors then put into the computer. Its a very LONG very PAINFUL process to go through. So its was much easier for the Smash Team to just rehash the moves from melee. They're on a time resistrant. Games gotta be released on xx day xx month xx year. They dont have time to reinvent the wheel...

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
You do realize it takes alot of research and development to make those move sets? Not only do you need to hire acrobats, but you need to have motion capture equipment as well. And trying to motion capture 36 different moves, everything from the characters idle animation to jumping, to aerials. All of that needs to be played out by actors then put into the computer. Its a very LONG very PAINFUL process to go through. So its was much easier for the Smash Team to just rehash the moves from melee. They're on a time resistrant. Games gotta be released on xx day xx month xx year. They dont have time to reinvent the wheel...
Wait...you think Smash Bros uses motion capture with HUMANS? Plenty of moves are impossible for a human to recreate just like that.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Not a complete 100% motion capture, but if you wanted "realistic" type of feel to how everything moves. You of course, look at real life examples for that. Thats where the motion capture comes into play. If a move isnt physically possible then theres ways to work around it. Nothing is impossible espically with a multimillion dollar business this franchise is apart of.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Wait...you think Smash Bros uses motion capture with HUMANS? Plenty of moves are impossible for a human to recreate just like that.
Hell, most of the Human Figure Characters(Including Space Animals, Lucario, Sonic)'s A moves can be done, some are Easy(Falco's F-Smash, Snake's F-Tilt) and some are hard(Ganon/Snake's U-Tilt, Fox/Falco's Up-Smash)

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Starcraft isn't a fighting game. It's much easier to balance an RTS with 3 factions than it is to balance a fighting game with 13 times as many characters.

There hasn't been a perfectly balanced fighting game and there never will be. Brawl is no exception.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
RTS are not easier to balance.

And why was this made into a reply-able thread? Didn't the mods foresee such intense dissatisfaction? The idea of a thread for this topic, IMO, is pretty pointless. It should be locked :\.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
i was checking Link guilds out and seeing how other people played compared to me thats a start, on there it states "Link is far stronger and faster than melee....."although they do admit the spin is worse. Thing that confuses me is why Links a heavy, dude this isnt bowser its Link, in all his games hes a light weight perhaps medium. Spin attack needs to be repaired, grab needs to stretch WAY farther (it does in the games too). Arrows need to be faster (once again they are in his games) boomerang should trap opponets otherwise its good.

they dont need to do this but they should, Link should have those 7 sword moves from TP.

honestly look how much weaker he is than his games. I think its because theres few competition and Links one of them and sakurai wants to shunt Link and some others like mario(well a bit) and give his game more spotlight

kr3wman

Smash Master
i was checking Link guilds out and seeing how other people played compared to me thats a start, on there it states "Link is far stronger and faster than melee....."although they do admit the spin is worse. Thing that confuses me is why Links a heavy, dude this isnt bowser its Link, in all his games hes a light weight perhaps medium. Spin attack needs to be repaired, grab needs to stretch WAY farther (it does in the games too). Arrows need to be faster (once again they are in his games) boomerang should trap opponets otherwise its good.

they dont need to do this but they should, Link should have those 7 sword moves from TP.

honestly look how much weaker he is than his games. I think its because theres few competition and Links one of them and sakurai wants to shunt Link and some others like mario(well a bit) and give his game more spotlight
1. Was that a gamefaqs guide?

2. Link's heavy because of his equipment.

3. That last part made no sense at all.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
no it was written by Izaw i think, yes i know the reasoning but honestly that equitment never kept him down in his games y should it here? As ive explained

In his game

his arrows wouldnt take long to get out

his clawshot would go as far as Zero suit samus's

he wouldnt be this slow

hed have some of the sword moves from his game

and i just added that perhaps the boomerang should trap his opponet

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Link was way better in meele, his up b was spammable, not in brawl it isnt.
I wouldn't go as far as to say he was way better. Brawl link has some improvements. First off, he has a zair, that is 0 lagg and does 10 dmg. With a DAC his usmash is better (although it was already an improvement without the DAC). His arrows are better. His bair is better.

With that said he also has disadvantages as well. His tether is not nearly as good. His upB is garbage. His recovery sucks even harder, both fsmash and dsmash are worse. The sex kick isn't as good. And he's a fastfaller now. I'd say his other projectiles are worse, but I can't, because they are about the same.

EDIT: Oh and his dair is better.

Barge

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was way better. Brawl link has some improvements. First off, he has a zair, that is 0 lagg and does 10 dmg. With a DAC his usmash is better (although it was already an improvement without the DAC). His arrows are better. His bair is better.

With that said he also has disadvantages as well. His tether is not nearly as good. His upB is garbage. His recovery sucks even harder, both fsmash and dsmash are worse. The sex kick isn't as good. And he's a fastfaller now. I'd say his other projectiles are worse, but I can't, because they are about the same.

Well, I'm just saying IMO, I prefer Melee Link.

kr3wman

Smash Master

You could atleast try to pull off the Dair in Melee without getting punished for it.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
RTS are not easier to balance.

And why was this made into a reply-able thread? Didn't the mods foresee such intense dissatisfaction? The idea of a thread for this topic, IMO, is pretty pointless. It should be locked :\.
I never said they were easier to balance. I said 3 factions are easier to balance than 39 characters. Both RTSs and fighting games almost always have balance problems (Starcraft is a very rare exception).

If they didn't make a thread for discussing it, there would be lots of individual threads for that purpose. I think that's worse...

e319

Smash Apprentice
Looks like a major upset since melee
Bowser's Better than Peach and Mario!!!
SWEET!

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
honestly how is captain falcon dead last?

idk I just dont get it.

great aerials (auto cancel able)
fast
good grab/to follow up (combos) game
good air control=good edge guarding

ok his smashes suck but fsmash isnt THAT bad its good some range and some punch to it

falcon isnt good by any means but DEAD LAST? I disagree.

Barge

idk I just dont get it.

fast

ok his smashes suck but fsmash isnt THAT bad its good some range and some punch to it

As its been said before, if marios fireball can cancle a falcon punch or falcon kick, theres something going on there.
Falcon punches speed and power was reduced
His knee was nerfed

Alphicans

Smash Hero

idk I just dont get it.

fast

Ok, you got every thing wrong. His smashes are GOOD. His ariels are good, just as good as melee. The problem is is that he cannot combo due to the lack of hitstun. And he has no apporach. His grabs are good, but they don't really go into combos, just good for chaining. IDK about good edgeguarding.

metaXzero

Smash Champion

idk I just dont get it.

fast

OK. Who should Falcon be above if he's not that bad huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom