• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Silly Kinzer, the only reason I've got a Roy symbol up there is because I'd like to be taken seriously sometimes. If you've got the Sonic stigma, your opinions void, even though we haven't spammed for months and people can't get over our old ways, so our discussion is unimportant.

And I'm deadly serious about that up thar though ^^
Sonic is not getting mid tier.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
What to other people think on Falcon's placement in the next list? Does anyone think he has the potential to move above anyone? Please no flaming, I want serious discussion. I've always thought he had the potential to move above ganondorf, but I'm starting to doubt that. My main argument is the tourny result and Ganondorf's trouble against campy playstyles, but is that enough to get him below Falcon?

Oh, and I really don't see potential in Ike. No offense to any Ike mains. I just don't really understand how people think he is almost as good as Toon Link, and this isn't a flame. It seems to me hes leaning in the direction of bottom tier rather than top of mid.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
What to other people think on Falcon's placement in the next list? Does anyone think he has the potential to move above anyone? Please no flaming, I want serious discussion. I've always thought he had the potential to move above ganondorf, but I'm starting to doubt that. My main argument is the tourny result and Ganondorf's trouble against campy playstyles, but is that enough to get him below Falcon?

Oh, and I really don't see potential in Ike. No offense to any Ike mains. I just don't really understand how people think he is almost as good as Toon Link, and this isn't a flame. It seems to me hes leaning in the direction of bottom tier rather than top of mid.
I think Falcon is better than Ganon. He's not as shut down by projectiles and he can do more with proper reading since he has speed to work with.

Ike isn't that bad. I think he's high low. He's right around the Sonic/Sheik range.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

I can see C.Falcon moving above Ganon and Jigglypuff.

And for a quick summery on Ike (yet again)

1) 21 grab releases on 27 tested characters. Thats a LOT. Most of them very effective (like walk-off fairs, which gimps people fairly quickly) Almost all of them found after the last tier list.

2) Combos at low %

3) Tournament results. They've gone through the roof since the last tier list. (I believe Sonic is the only low tiered character thats beating him, and Ike is beating some mid tier characters like Luigi and most likely Toon Link)

4) Mad priority, range, and power

5) No ****'d match-ups. Only 3 3-7 disadvantages. (D3, Falco, Olimar)

6) DACIT. Ike's one of the few characters that can use it effectively.

7) He does better against certain higher tiered characters then others. (Some characters wish they went 4-6 against Marth, G&W, and most likely Snake. Heck, we had someone on the G&W boards post a rather large post on why he felt Ike went even with G&W.)

8) Jab games.

9) ***** at Pirate Ship. :bee:

I'll let Light do a detailed explanation later on. I'm eating too soon to bother.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Both of those stages are legal in Texas, which is where I'm at. And it helps against Diddy Kong and arguably Snake the most a fair bit based on how much they have their throwable projectiles out. Works best with DACIT -> Jab -> Pivot Grab. Peach, Toon Link, and Link are more situational, and Wario is almost a non-factor. You'd have to break the bike and grab the tires, and hit him when he's not in the air.

But it has it's uses.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Don't forget that R.O.B. and Zero Suit Samus can also generate items. V. ROB is a biggie as it solves the main issue with camping if you get his Gyro, boost towards him and just Fsmash (ROB is also a top tier, so the match-up being better is again a biggie). ZSS is just a nice bonus with her armor pieces.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sorry if i sound like a douche, im not trying to

I can see C.Falcon moving above Ganon and Jigglypuff.

And for a quick summery on Ike (yet again)

1) 21 grab releases on 27 tested characters. Thats a LOT. Most of them very effective (like walk-off fairs, which gimps people fairly quickly) Almost all of them found after the last tier list.
people **** wario with grabs but hes still high tier, that implies to me that characters can have **** grabs and still be low tier. also, i dont think back throw to DA is a true combo.... but i dont know, i just know it doesnt work on sonic.

2) Combos at low %
Every character in the game has those.

3) Tournament results. They've gone through the roof since the last tier list. (I believe Sonic is the only low tiered character thats beating him, and Ike is beating some mid tier characters like Luigi and most likely Toon Link)
But hes mid tier now. he should be beating all the low tiers and some of the mids.
and if we learned anything from the discussion we had in ankokus thread just now, its that tourney results arent quintessential to a characters placement.

But hes super slow. the only fast move he has is jab and back air, all of his other fast moves are kinda average

how many advantages does he have?

6) DACIT. Ike's one of the few characters that can use it effectively.
its not that big for him, cause he cant spawn his own items.

7) He does better against certain higher tiered characters then others. (Some characters wish they went 4-6 against Marth, G&W, and most likely Snake. Heck, we had someone on the G&W boards post a rather large post on why he felt Ike went even with G&W.)
having a few not **** matchups does not a good character make. especially if he still loses.

8) Jab games.
its doesnt seem like he could win without it. a character shouldnt be that dependant on one move...

9) ***** at Pirate Ship. :bee:
pirate ship isnt neutral and isnt garenteed to be legal.

I'll let Light do a detailed explanation later on. I'm eating too soon to bother.

every character out there could throw down a laundry list of minor advantages that there character has to try and up their tier position with out saying any thing about his disadvantages...

the fact of the matter is that ike is still pretty bad

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
First point: I said grab release, not Bthrow -> Dash attack. That's a throw, not a release.

Second: That was a thrown up statement I was hoping Light would explain more because I still don't have time to explain further...

Third: Sonic is an odd ball. Ike isn't the only Mid-tier character that isn't beating Sonic. And he's beating all the rest of the low tier, plus some mid-tiers. He should be right behind Zelda/Sheik in results after the list is updated. Thats not bad at all seeing that people keep thinking he should be bottom tier.

Forth: IASA frames take out a lot the ending lag on his attacks. Jab easily leads to some of his slightly slower attacks like Utilt. Bair isn't the other only fast attack. Nair, Counter are also faster. His air game eats air dodges for breakfast, and he has the same air mobility as Toon Link. He is more then able to space with fair.

have to go, will finish later if light doesn't for me.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Alright Nidtendofreak, I shall cover for you.

Ike is in no way bottom. Or were you referring to Sonic? Cause he's not bottom either. I agree either way. XD
Neither of those characters are bottom. I don't know about Sonic but for every person who admits that Ike is solid and good you get around five who think that Ike is bottom of the barrel material. I thought we had moved past April, but I guess not.

1) .
people **** wario with grabs but hes still high tier, that implies to me that characters can have **** grabs and still be low tier. also, i dont think back throw to DA is a true combo.... but i dont know, i just know it doesnt work on sonic.

If you buffer the Dash Attack it should work, but that's irrelevant. It's certainly possible to have **** grabs and be low (Yoshi) just as it is possible to have a mediocre grab game and be top (Game and Watch). It should all be factored into the character. What we are saying is that Ike's grab game went from "lol don't use this" to "good idea" over the course of the tier list.

2)
Every character in the game has those.
Ike has quite a few guaranteed ones that all end up doing very good damage. You also have to factor in one last thing: If Mario gets 30% on you, you shrug it off. If Ike gets 30% on you, you're in the danger zone.

3)
But hes mid tier now. he should be beating all the low tiers and some of the mids.
and if we learned anything from the discussion we had in ankokus thread just now, its that tourney results arent quintessential to a characters placement.

As said, his results are similar to Zelda/Sheik and the only low character he isn't beating is Sonic.

But hes super slow. the only fast move he has is jab and back air, all of his other fast moves are kinda average
Up Tilt isn't average, but your point is noted. I should say, however, that Jab ***** so much that I don't see much use in having extra moves.

how many advantages does he have?

Most of low tier (Of course), parts of mid tier, high tier match-ups are all up in the air believe it or not but I CAN tell you that Ice Climbers are definitely in his favor and a grand majority of them are neutral or close to it.

6)
its not that big for him, cause he cant spawn his own items.
It helps in key match-ups such as Snake, R.O.B. and Diddy Kong, all VERY good characters.

7)
having a few not **** matchups does not a good character make. especially if he still loses.

It doesn't mean that he's a good character necessarily , but if he only loses out barely to the top dogs then that's definitely important.

8)
its doesnt seem like he could win without it. a character shouldnt be that dependant on one move...
It's his only really viable ground move, yeah, but it just so happens to be the best jab in the game. With possibilities of jab cancels dealing 30%(!) at times, not to mention it coming out on frame 3, the fact that it's his most used move doesn't make it worse. Besides, Snake loves his Ftilt for close quarters. King Dedede loves his grab and Marth loves his Dancing Blade. All of those are slower than the jab.

9)
pirate ship isnt neutral and isnt garenteed to be legal.
It generally is legal, to the best of my knowledge. In addition, having an uber counterpick up your sleeve is definitely a good idea.

That's because your recovery doesn't matter on that stage.

Aether has tiny horizontal movement and quick draw is extremely predictable. His recovery is probably the worst in the game, after the tether ones (and possibly Link).That's because your recovery doesn't matter on that stage.
First off, Aether can grab the ledge from surprising places, especially reverse Aethers. Secondly, did you know that Ike's fall speed and jump height are not bad nor good? This, in addition to Aether being very "safe" mean that he'll almost always recover. On paper Ike gets gimped, in theory it's not happening. Ike is good on Pirate ship because it makes his offstage game go from "Bleh" to "****."

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if you are trying to defend your characters present position, than I agree with you, if you are trying to make a case for him to move up, than i dont agree with you.

i still think his item throw isnt grounds for moving up since the chances to use it are really sparse.

and yes, other characters love their best move, but i think ike is way more dependant on his jab, than any other character in the game.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Thank you Light. I would have finished, but catfish was calling me. XD
What a coincidence, I just had catfish too. Sonic users have steak...Ike users have...catfish?

if you are trying to defend your characters present position, than I agree with you, if you are trying to make a case for him to move up, than i dont agree with you.

i still think his item throw isnt grounds for moving up since the chances to use it are really sparse.

and yes, other characters love their best move, but i think ike is way more dependant on his jab, than any other character in the game.
While the newfound combos, grab releases, stage usages, ATs are all great and CAN be used as an argument as to why Ike is high-mid, all I am truly trying to do is show people that Ike is no worse than the lower half of mid tier, which I am glad to see you agree with me on.

His DACIT is pretty cool, especially since it happens to have usage on two stages and a nice bit of the top notch characters. I do not, however, think that making 6 match-ups or so easier is going to make Ike jump up to high tier or anything. Hey, it might not even make him move up a spot for all I know.

And yeah, Ike without his jab would be borderline unplayable, since if they got into Ike's range, he would effectively be done for.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Low high?

Dude.....even I wasn't even thinking of suggesting that......it's not an argument for high tier. Not until we figure out Quick Draw Cancel.

And I also doubt DACIT is going to make him jump up a bunch. It it does make some of his match-ups easier, which is often something people point at when claiming Ike is bottom tier. -_-

And we both had catfish..........new board fad? Oh dear.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Low high?

Dude.....even I wasn't even thinking of suggesting that......it's not an argument for high tier. Not until we figure out Quick Draw Cancel.

And I also doubt DACIT is going to make him jump up a bunch. It it does make some of his match-ups easier, which is often something people point at when claiming Ike is bottom tier. -_-

And we both had catfish..........new board fad? Oh dear.
I agree with you, low high is a pretty big stretch. It's not that Ike isn't good, it's that he's not particularly qualified to be there. If his recovery gets better, expect to see him there, of course.

Yeah, DACIT isn't some mindblowing thing. Although free Fsmashes on Diddy Kong can go a long way!

D

Deleted member

Do you even play in tournaments, besides gamestop ones, most tournament ikes tell me that ike is not good at all, and i agree with them. His matchups suck, thats why hes bad. Simple, he cant do well because he has soo many crappy matchups. This is not opinion, ike has a hard time with many characters, and if you think hes anywhere near high tier, you havent played ike at a high level.

On paper hes not too bad, i think he should be middle of low tier, and many ikes agree with me.

Edit: Although, im not sure what DACIT is, i probably just dont know what it stands for, could someone enlighten me?

TP

Smash Master
Ike players, I don't know why you love Pirate Ship so much, but it is Ganon's best stage too. What's more awesome than surviving a Ganoncide while the opponent dies? Nothing. So why does Ike love it so much?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Right, right, thats why Krik didn't win a tournament, because his match-ups suck too much....

Wait, yes he did. Amazing huh? He's tournament usable. I'm going to Final Smash 5 myself. He doesn't have a truly hard time against more then those 3 characters I mentioned before. Those are his ONLY "crappy" match-ups. Him having many crappy match-ups IS an opinion. A wrong one at that. Thinking he's mid-low tier is lunacy. The only person I've seen on these boards who uses Ike that thinks he belongs in mid-low is A2, and I doubt he uses Ike much. He still thought you had to use Quick Draw to recover sometimes even if you have your second jump. The lowest Ike should be is top of low.

And I posted a link to DACIT a few posts back.

EDIT: @TP: Because having 3 great spikes on a water level, and not having to worry about recovery is awesome. Aether in the water -> Dair kills extremely easily. It's VERY hard to dodge once you get caught in aether. The spike at the end causes you to go farther down then Ike, giving Ike enough time to jump and have a dair ready for when you come up.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Do you even play in tournaments, besides gamestop ones, most tournament ikes tell me that ike is not good at all, and i agree with them. His matchups suck, thats why hes bad. Simple, he cant do well because he has soo many crappy matchups. This is not opinion, ike has a hard time with many characters, and if you think hes anywhere near high tier, you havent played ike at a high level.

On paper hes not too bad, i think he should be middle of low tier, and many ikes agree with me.

Edit: Although, im not sure what DACIT is, i probably just dont know what it stands for, could someone enlighten me?
1) No, I don't have the access to large, non-local tourneys but then again not a great deal of people do.

2) Sweeping generalizations are usually not good ideas in discussions. Regardless, I said just before you posted that Ike in high tier is a huge stretch and edited it out of my post before it could be misinterpreted...too late. However, him rising 5 or 6 spots to get to a higher position, near the top of mid, is NOT a stretch. Bowser could easily move down thanks to the Wario infinite found on him, Luigi could move down due his match-ups, Fox can do the same. We can discuss Ike's match-ups in detail, but his two worst ones are Falco and Olimar at 70-30, though you can make a case for both to be lower. Two 30-70 match-ups=/=crappy match-ups, especially considering that a whole lot of his match-ups are near even.

3) On paper he isn't too bad, yes. In practice he's BETTER because a) Opponents make mistakes and b) His recovery flaws are much harder to exploit than they appear. That's why on paper Olimar looks doomed when in reality he's a beast. You should also not appeal to the fallacy of "many people agree with me, so it should be so", for reasons I'm sure you understand.

4) DACIT is like a glide toss, it stands for Dash Attack Cancel Item Toss. For Ike, it makes him teleport across Final Destination.

EDIT:

Ike players, I don't know why you love Pirate Ship so much, but it is Ganon's best stage too. What's more awesome than surviving a Ganoncide while the opponent dies? Nothing. So why does Ike love it so much?
Aetherciding and surviving (Especially when it's not limited to only the bow section of the ship and comes out faster) is better.

Game & Watch's grab game is mediocre? Did all of his tech chases suddenly disappear while I wasn't looking?
They did not, but even with the tech chases, at the end of the day that's what they are. He has few guaranteed set-ups.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yeah, but most characters don't even have THAT. Guaranteed or not, having any tech chases certainly puts your throw game at least above average. And they're always a chance you'll catch even good players with a down throw to down smash (don't laugh, it does happen).

I wouldn't call his throw game completely mind-blowing, certainly, but I think "mediocre" is a bit of a stretch.

D

Deleted member

Kirk is really good =P
I wasnt talking about people on the boards, just most tournament ike players i talk to say that he has bad matchups, and i agree. When i said he cant do well, i didnt mean he CANT, i meant he has a hard time doing well. I play yoshi, i do very well with him, yoshi doesnt have the best matchups either, but i am able to work around them and win them. Im sure kirk is better than me and is able to do even better with ike. Doesnt make ike good, doesnt make yoshi good.

My post was mostly to Yagami light, who was claiming ike was amazing and could be high mid.

All the item toss does is help him with diddy a little bit.

The tournament thing was only because i was guessing you dont have great experience with ike in high level play.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Yeah, but most characters don't even have THAT. Guaranteed or not, having any tech chases certainly puts your throw game at least above average. And they're always a chance you'll catch even good players with a down throw to down smash (don't laugh, it does happen).

I wouldn't call his throw game completely mind-blowing, certainly, but I think "mediocre" is a bit of a stretch.
Point taken. I just needed to find an example of a bad throw game in the top tier, and Game and Watch sort of came up.

Kirk is really good =P
I wasnt talking about people on the boards, just most tournament ike players i talk to say that he has bad matchups, and i agree. When i said he cant do well, i didnt mean he CANT, i meant he has a hard time doing well. I play yoshi, i do very well with him, yoshi doesnt have the best matchups either, but i am able to work around them and win them. Im sure kirk is better than me and is able to do even better with ike. Doesnt make ike good, doesnt make yoshi good.

My post was mostly to Yagami light, who was claiming ike was amazing and could be high mid.

All the item toss does is help him with diddy a little bit.

The tournament thing was only because i was guessing you dont have great experience with ike in high level play.
I have a lot less high level experience than I would like, though I consider myself competent.

I'm not trying to make Ike out to be some sort of god or anything. He has potential 30-70 match-ups, namely Falco and Olimar. But in reality those are his only true "headache" matches. Everything else is reasonable enough and new things are being found to make these match-ups better as well (Free Fair offstage on Falco, as an example).

I get nothing from attempting to oversell my character. I don't care if he reaches bottom because everyone else discovers wavedashing and Ike doesn't get it, I don't care if he reaches top because the Fsmash gets a glitch to have no start-up lag. Quite frankly, as cheesy and cliche as it sounds, all I'm looking for is the truth.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
have you seen the vids of the tourney kirk won, those guys were absolutely awful

and liek light said, making 6 matchups better wont affect his tier listing.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Also, 4 characters own Ike. MK, Dedede, Bread Falco, and Oli.
If you go by what Kirk (The best Ike, and a smart guy on top of that) says then MK, King Dedede and Falco are all 65-35 v Ike and Olimar is the sole 70-30. I disagree and state that there's a solid chance of Falco being 70-30 while Meta Knight is 6-4 (Umbreon stated he thought Ike versus Meta Knight was even, though I can't be sure if he was joking).

The best part about the Olimar and Falco match-ups, however, is that you have two very solid CPs against each of them (Pirate Ship / Rainbow Cruise and Green Greens / Lylat Cruise [And Pirate Ship again, of course]) so even if they strike out one of them, you have a go to guy. Then with the neutral stage selection system, you generally end up with a stage that lets you have an easier time with the match-up or whatnot (i.e. If you strike Final against Falco and they strike Lylat, whatever you get gives you a small stage with an assault platform that should help you. It obviously changes from region to region but the idea is the same.)

Edit: In retrospect you can also chose Pirate Ship / Norfair for Dedede, both stages much the match-up much better for Ike.

As said earlier, it's important to know your neutrals and how to play on them as Ike, as Ike REALLY benefits from counterpicks in ways other characters don't. Ike + No chance of gimping him + Mid sized stage perfect for his range + Assault platforms + Unique stage shapes to stop campers = Fantastic.

D

Deleted member

Remember, at least where i live, those are all VERY popular characters in tournaments. I dont think ike is a bad character, quite the contrary, and on paper hes better than a lot of characters, but in a tournament settings, he cant really do well alone in a tournament setting against HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS. I never saw kirks vids, but ill take Kids word for it that they werent amazing players, else ike really has a hard time with falco =/

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Remember, at least where i live, those are all VERY popular characters in tournaments. I dont think ike is a bad character, quite the contrary, and on paper hes better than a lot of characters, but in a tournament settings, he cant really do well alone in a tournament setting against HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS. I never saw kirks vids, but ill take Kids word for it that they werent amazing players, else ike really has a hard time with falco =/
I pretty much agree with you, the popularity of Dedede/Falco is a bit of a hindrance, but everyone in Mid tier seems to have issues match-ups anyways.

did you ever notice that light's last name, "Yagami" spells "I'm a gay" when written backwards?

(ty chok)
Yep, I had that one pointed out to me like a few months ago. I don't particularly feel like changing the name, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom