• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Unfair? Is that the bar nowadays?

Let's assume it should be banned for whatever reason.
How are you going to impose rules against it? Leave it up to a judge to decide if he's camping to run the clock? Really?
Sorry, broken is a better term. Broken is the bar lol. I dont see how you can think that a tactic that is not punishable by the top tier is not broken, but alright

Ad yes, the TO or a judge can come over and if he scrooges more than once without landing onstage, he will lose that game.
Its not that complicated. Its not something that can be interpretted like excessive stalling, scrooging is gliding under the stage and landing on a platform (in Svs case) or grabbing da ledge again

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

How are you going to impose rules against it? Leave it up to a judge to decide if he's camping to run the clock? Really?
... And that's the problem with the official ruleset, and TOs in how they handle stalling in the matches brought up for discussion. People have recorded proof at the tourneys DURING THE MATCHES WHILE THE STALLING HAPPENS, yet they let it slide and the stalling person wins. Why isn't there a rule to stop this from happening? A person could've been actually doing the legitimate thing and trying to find a way to get back on-stage, but at the same time, a stalling person could say this and we'd have to trust his word for it. Same as a person who won because of a time out accidentally, we will never really know the motive behind the outcome of a match. The rule will never be specific enough to attack that one issue, while leaving the option open to recovery, onless a judge is present in all games, and that's impossible (well, to be fair, possible, but too much effort for too little reward).

In Japan, there's an anti-scrooging rule... A glider can only glide once under the stage, and after that they must touch the floor before being able to glide under the stage again. This takes care of the majority of the problem, but stallers can still get around the rule. If they DO get around the rule by gliding to the other side of the stage, touching the floor and grabbing the ledge again for no reason, it's obvious he's trying to stall the clock, therefore he should be called out on the grounds of stalling. But, this is America and not Japan, so we're left with no rule at all, people doing whatever they please and matches running for full 8-minutes.

JRob

Smash Cadet
Updated my post btw.

And the Japanese rule doesn't take care of scrooging on Smashville, where you don't have to grab the ledge at all.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How does the rule against gliding under the stage hinder anyone's recovery? To my understanding, the rule specifically does not allow you to glide under the stage more than once before getting back onto the stage. Since the only way to do this (without subjecting yourself to far more risk than would be worth it, using Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop) is gliding under the stage, grabbing a ledge, and then dropping down to glide below the stage again, it is in no way hurting anyone's recovery, considering you'd've needed to reach a ledge at some point to even pull it off, meaning you had already successfully recovered.

I don't particularly support the scrooging rule or whatever, but JRob's argument on it hindering recovery doesn't even sound relevant.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

How are you going to do exactly that?- ban it. Leave it up to a judge to decide if he's camping to run the clock? Based... on... what the judge feels is the camper's intent...? What else?
That's it, really. It's why it's so hard finding the proper wording for the rule, or even a reason as to why we should make the rule.

Rules against gliding under the stage? In reality, hindering his recovery. You may as well admit the character should be banned, and leave it at that.
Welcome to the "MK Should Be Banned" debate. There are non-stickied threads with over 15,000 posts altogether talking about this.

Ledge grab limits? He can only run the clock for as long as it
takes to grab the ledge X amount of times...? (60 can last you a good 5 minutes, btw.)
Another reason why so many people are posting in the "MK Should Be Banned" debate thread. Pit can do it too, but he has weaknesses as a character that make it easier for him to get punished in a way that MK (the only other reliable glider) can't.

How about for the characters that can "stall" on-stage? I addressed this earlier. You gonna try to limit them as well?
Well, only actual tactic that makes you "invincible" and "un-catchable" while on-stage is IDC, and it's been banned for over a year now. Everything else can be beaten by many characters.

JRob

Smash Cadet
Perhaps I should have said "MK's ability to get back on stage" rather than shortening it to "recovery".

Gliding back under the stage once you've already grabbed the ledge is a realistic possibility for someone trying to get back on stage, of which I and many others have encountered. I can explain this if need be.

JRob

Smash Cadet
Well, only actual tactic that makes you "invincible" and "un-catchable" while on-stage is IDC, and it's been banned for over a year now. Everything else can be beaten by many characters.
1. Wario can definitely flat out avoid some characters to make himself, in EFFECT, invincible. (ex. Wario vs. Ganon on BF)
2. Many characters can hurt MK during his "scrooging" as well.

Edit: Very sorry for he double post.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Perhaps I should have said "MK's ability to get back on stage" rather than shortening it to "recovery".

Gliding back under the stage once you've already grabbed the ledge is a realistic possibility for someone trying to get back on stage, of which I and many others have encountered. I can explain this if need be.
Explain it if you really want to, but just so you know, I'll answer your post tomorrow (not gonna deny it has obvious uses, double-gliding under the stage, but that's regularly not the case), ok? I'm pretty tired... And tomorrow later after noon I gotta go out.

D

Deleted member

Ok which is why you can only do it once.
Nobody bans going under the stage when you have already grabbed the ledge.
Mk already has really good options for getting back on stage anyways, so banning more than one wouldn't hinder him (hed still be the best character)

WARIO VS GANON DOESNT MATTER.
Dont be stupid.

Also, falco can drop under the stage and lazer MK once, doing.... 2-3%. MK can dodge it easily as well.
Snake and diddy cannot do anything, M2k times out people like Gnes doing this.

Its not that its completely invincible, it doesnt have to be to be broken, it just provides a very very safe and effective way to run the clock.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
1. Wario can definitely flat out avoid some characters to make himself, in EFFECT, invincible. (ex. Wario vs. Ganon on BF)
2. Many characters can hurt MK during his "scrooging" as well.
Some characters, but not a majority. A lot of tourney-viable characters (the characters that actually matter, the ones who actually have a legit chance at placing high regularly at national-level tourneys), even non-viable characters have no issue with being aircamped by Wario, since Wario is still on the stage, where they can jump, walk, attack, and punish stuff... Unlike gliding under the stage does. Both Zelda and Ganondorf have almost no options agains lots of characters, too, so they're not really good examples.

JRob

Smash Cadet
Burnstocks, what if you needed to glide more than once? Twice? Without the intent to stall?

Let's say you glide from off-stage, after you've been hit, down under the stage to grab the other side and grab it- all this to avoid your opponent that's edgeguarding you. Then let's present the possibility that, while you're trying to get back on stage, you're spiked down. You may decide, like I have in the past, that coming back up to the nearest ledge isn't as safe as you'd like it to be. Then you glide a bit and drill rush to the other side the rest of the way.

And ok, Kewkky.

JRob

Smash Cadet
It's basically circle camping on Smashville, using the platform to avoid ledge grab rules... and to "shark" opponents that get near- or just in general, using the platform with the opponent's (often times) poor air game, comparatively, in mind.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
there are not many characters who can get passed scrooging at all...
not even all high/top tiers can, let alone mid and low tiers.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Pretty much going under the stage once and grabbed the edge means you shouldn't do it again until you get on stage.

On smashvillie MK scrooging (lol name) is impossible to beat. Mk actually has to fight and GASP risk taking damage to get on stage like everyone else in the game... can't have that. :/

that last bit is sarcasm.

BSP

Smash Legend
there are not many characters who can get passed scrooging at all...
not even all high/top tiers can, let alone mid and low tiers.
It's pretty much unbeatable. There aren't any characters that can force MK back to the stage.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
doesn't mk's ledge getup have like 99% invincibility?
that + up+b pretty much gets you off scott free.

nobody should ever have one option that gets you out of a disadvantaged place the majority of the time.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Let's say you glide from off-stage, after you've been hit, down under the stage to grab the other side and grab it- all this to avoid your opponent that's edgeguarding you. Then let's present the possibility that, while you're trying to get back on stage, you're spiked down. You may decide, like I have in the past, that coming back up to the nearest ledge isn't as safe as you'd like it to be. Then you glide a bit and drill rush to the other side the rest of the way.
If the opponent jumps out and spikes you, then he's now vulnerable and attempting to recover. What MK has to do is jump and harass them off the ledge with a multi-hit attack (drill rush, maybe even SL if they're afraid of stage spikes, and uair works wonders too since it only lasts 13 frames) that will hurt them unless they roll away/get-up and shield. Where then MK will once again get on the ledge... Pit can't do this, if he's spiked all he has left to use to go under the stage again is WoI since he has no harassing options like MK does to get people to leave the ledge and let him recover safely, so they can just drop and hit him while he flies in slow-mo under the stage (a la Falco's laser or some other fast-moving projectile, another glide attack, an item toss, a slight chase under the stage, even a chase over the stage before Pit reaches the other side since his WoI doesn't have his glide's speed and one hit will kill Pit)... I like Japan's rule, but here in USA we'll probably never enforce that rule, so Pit doesn't have to worry yet.

But, keep in mind that gliding under the stage to avoid all contact between the players with the exception of Pit damaging the opponent is still a form of stalling, since what you're doing is running the timer out.

doesn't mk's ledge getup have like 99% invincibility?
that + up+b pretty much gets you off scott free.

nobody should ever have one option that gets you out of a disadvantaged place the majority of the time.
:freak:

Let's see... MK gets up and does his invincible upB, unpunishable so far... But what if the opponent (power)shields the upB (I do this a lot as Kirby)? Then MK is now extremely vulnerable and he's going to take damage, causing him to lose some of his advantage. Why would the MK want to slowly lose his advantage, if he can keep gliding under the stage, where no one can do anything?

It's true that it's best on SV, but it can also be done on FD, BF, LC, Frigate (if the glide is cancelled near the ledge)... Those are the only ones i can name off the top of my head.

And scrooging is excessive gliding under the stage so as to avoid the Ledge-grab limit rules applied in the tourney, so that the character can effectively time the opponent out by being in a situation equivalent to infinite invincibility.

JRob

Smash Cadet
People in this community are going so far as to NERF MK's ability to perform normal tasks (in this case, recovery) that happens to shut down a good portion of the cast when used over and over. Is everyone really surprised by this?- that MK, a character with an absolutely incredible recovery, is giving this game problems? (What you may call a "problem" I call "Brawl and its campy nature".)

TOs are telling us not to use his glide because his recovery is perfect against a lot of characters... Why not tell Wario he can't jump on 3 platforms in a row, then? That'll prevent him from camping a lot of characters... ~_~ Or how about saying "No use of drill rush under the stage." What's to stop you from imposing those rules?

And in the first place, how is any of this relevantly different from other forms of camping? Diddy's banana foretress? Snake with a grenade? Why are they not considered "stalling" the game if they don't intend to approach? This whole thing is a joke.

"Let's ban his fireballs and use of teleportation. Maybe he'll stop wrecking this game, then."

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
People in this community are going so far as to NERF MK's ability to perform normal tasks (in this case, recovery) that happens to shut down a good portion of the cast when used over and over. Is everyone really surprised by this?- that MK, a character with an absolutely incredible recovery, is giving this game problems? (What you may call a "problem" I call "Brawl and its campy nature".)

TOs are telling us not to use his glide because his recovery is perfect against a lot of characters... Why not tell Wario he can't jump on 3 platforms in a row, then? That'll prevent him from camping a lot of characters... ~_~ Or how about saying "No use of drill rush under the stage." What's to stop you from imposing those rules?

And in the first place, how is any of this relevantly different from other forms of camping? Diddy's banana foretress? Snake with a grenade? Why are they not considered "stalling" the game if they don't intend to approach? This whole thing is a joke.

"Let's ban his fireballs and use of teleportation. Maybe he'll stop wrecking this game, then."
Are you reading the "Ban MK" debate? because you're mentioning the exact same point we've been covering after we finish covering them. :/

JRob

Smash Cadet
So... do you agree with the point I'm making? If so, there isn't anything to discuss. O;
I'll continue to hold my pro-MK-ban opinion and argue my points elsewhere. >_>

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So... do you agree with the point I'm making? If so, there isn't anything to discuss. O;
I'll continue to hold my pro-MK-ban opinion and argue my points elsewhere. >_>
Actually, I still disagree. Characters gliding under the stage and planking, and characters running around over the stage/setting up walls, are two fundamentally different situations. I agreed to stop talking about it in the other thread though as I could've been over-reacting, but I DID provide two videos in which how gliding under the stage could be used in two ways... To bait reactions and punish, or to completely stall out the clock... And THAT'S what I dislike about the technique. Diddy can't stall the clock out by setting up a wall, he can still be punished by a decent amount of characters, as can Wario... but gliders can't unless they stop what they're doing and attempt to approach (which they shouldn't be doing).

And I'm pro-MK-ban too. :|

Edit: WHOOO! Saved the reply... SWF crashed for me for a while, o i thought the reply was gone for good.

JRob

Smash Cadet
How do you differentiate between a player that's baiting a reaction and one that's stalling without using an arbitrary judge ruling that says "here, if you think he's trying to run the clock you can DQ him." I will not settle for something like that, which is basically what the BBR's ruling says about this subject. In fact, I declined to go to a large in-state tourney today because that rule is present there. :/

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How do you differentiate between a player that's baiting a reaction and one that's stalling without using an arbitrary judge ruling that says "here, if you think he's trying to run the clock you can DQ him." I will not settle for something like that, which is basically what the BBR's ruling says about this subject. In fact, I declined to go to a large in-state tourney today because that rule is present there. :/
You know, I've been repeating this everywhere recently.

That's the problem with it. That's why there isn't an official rule on it, because for all we know it could either be a stalling tactic, or a serious attempt at recovering, or an innocent attempt at forcing the opponent off the stage... And even then, the issue hasn't been seen in action enough times to warrant serious discussion within the SBR-B, as I've been told...

But it IS used for stalling purposes, and with proof of the purpose, the player SHOULD be getting disqualified. Even if other players get limited from the TO's arbitrary rulings, they should be doing their best to abide the rules since it's the TO's decision to implement the rules, but this is never the case.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Yeah...that's always bugged me lol.

Like.. with IDC. How can you tell they're stalling with it? Limit it to 10 seconds? They'll do 9 and come out and go back in.

Okay how about THAT'S proof of stalling. Like...common sense should tell you when they're stalling. Sometimes I'll get CPed to Luigi's Mansion when I'm Sonic. I just circle camp all day. Not my fault Sonic's priority sucks. I'm not stalling. I'm waiting for an opportunity to attack semi safely. If that means waiting till my opponent stales their moves by turning it to FD so be it. :/

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Okay how about THAT'S proof of stalling. Like...common sense should tell you when they're stalling. Sometimes I'll get CPed to Luigi's Mansion when I'm Sonic. I just circle camp all day. Not my fault Sonic's priority sucks. I'm not stalling. I'm waiting for an opportunity to attack semi safely. If that means waiting till my opponent stales their moves by turning it to FD so be it. :/
Sadly, it's not always as easy as it seems on paper. Unless we find a way to know what the players were thinking during the match, there won't be any way we can tell between "waiting for an opportunity to approach by gliding around the stage, but missing some of the opponent's vulnerable moments" and "not approaching at all by gliding around the stage, and thus missing the opponent's vulnerable moments".

For all the TO might know, you could be circle-camping with Sonic to win that match by stalling for time, so that they don't have a chance at winning the whole set and you can move onto the next match with a higher chance than simply playing normally.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
circle camping is stalling.
it's essentially making the game unplayable since there's no may the majority of the cast can catch up if you're doing it right.
this is why hyrule was banned.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Nah. LM is flat on the bottom. It's a semi circle. D=
*facepalm* How literal, lol.

Well, LM has 3 flat stage levels, 2 of which are separated by solid floors (1 and 2). You can either go over the 3rd level, on the 3rd level, on the 2nd level, or the 1st level. It also has walls, which prevent opponents from camping from across the stage against circle-campers, giving them an even greater disadvantage... I think it incites circle-camping.

Same with going under smashville.
The player goes into an area where he is inaccessible, and reappears far away, with invincibility frames. The opponent is restricted to the center of the stage, and can't effectively follow the opponent.

Hmm.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What's stopping you from running off and attacking? Sure you're at a disadvantage but you got him off the edge.
What if you miss? Do you honestly believe the glider will just let the opponent hit him?

Here's what happens when the opponent doesn't jump off to meet the staller, but instead the staller goes back on-stage to meet the opponent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQZBcLb5Z8 (oh, and scrooging is done at
2:41-2:51, 2:57-2:59, 3:16-3:21, 3:33-3:38, 3:53-3:57, 4:15-4:19, 7:47-7:52, 7:54-7:57)

Here's what happens when the opponent DOES jump off to meet the staller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OztKYId64M

Now, imagine a stalling opponent that DOESN'T approach. How will the opponent be able to win (with the exception of being MK and running/gliding after him/jumping out to meet him)?

That's why I dislike scrooging. It DOES have stalling potential, but telling apart stalling maneuvers from bait-and-punishment maneuvers is too hard to do effectively. It still is capable of stalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom