• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Question:

When voting, what are the advantages of splitting the characters into 15 groups? That seems awkward to me. While having groups lets you put characters that you think are about equal together, having a set number of groups ties your hands a bit. Let's say you can comfortably separate the characters into 20 groups, but since you are only allowed 15, you have trouble deciding on which groups to combine. The same would apply if you had fewer than 15 groups (only you'd have to split some groups up).

Wouldn't it be easier if you just ranked them 1-37? That way, you wouldn't have to artificially split the characters into groups that you might not believe to exist. Besides, if you truly believe that two (or more) characters are equal, couldn't you just submit your list saying that they're tied and give them equal points?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
They Forgot Mewtwo Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Please, explain to me how this list is factually incorrect when it was taken from tournament results? Did people lie about tournament results to get their pixel character higher on a list for a game? Hardly. I don't think the creators of the tier list just decided to take random information and make it official. They must have based it off of something....and it was probably something like....oh yes! Tournament results! Unless you also care to explain how results are not legitimate.
At this stage in the game, as I HAVE MENTIONED MANY TIMES, tournament results are a terrible way to solely base the tier list. Do it as a hybrid of popularity and tournament results (like Sonic who has fairly good placing but isn't great, just has an insane number of mains for his level) and potential. More so potential at this time.

RDK

Smash Hero
Tier lists aren't based 100% off tournament results, nor are they based 100% off of character matchups and potential. It's a mix of those, not to mention opinions by SBR members.

If your'e going to continue to piss and moan about how unfair your main's placement is, do us all a favor. Shut up and start winning tournaments with him. Useless whining is useless, and it makes you look like a bunch of 12 year olds.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Anyone reading this thread want popcorn? I've also got a few nice comfy spots on my couch.
*shares coke with and makes comfortable on couch* Thanks. :bee:

As I already said in the Tier List 1-thread... far more entertaining to watch this thread than any TV Show EVER could be.

risemix

Smash Apprentice
Tier lists aren't based 100% off tournament results, nor are they based 100% off of character matchups and potential. It's a mix of those, not to mention opinions by SBR members.

If your'e going to continue to piss and moan about how unfair your main's placement is, do us all a favor. Shut up and start winning tournaments with him. Useless whining is useless, and it makes you look like a bunch of 12 year olds.
FYI, ZSS isn't my main, she's just beast and this list is hilariously bad.

Adapt

Smash Lord
*shares coke with and makes comfortable on couch* Thanks. :bee:

As I already said in the Tier List 1-thread... far more entertaining to watch this thread than any TV Show EVER could be.
Mind if I join you? I can bring some cookies. Everyone loves cookies!

I agree with what you said in the v1.0 topic, that months down the line this topic will still be good for a laugh, but you have to admit, the first couple days are truly the best.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
FYI, ZSS isn't my main, she's just beast and this list is hilariously bad.
Yet you give no point as to why its hilariously bad.
You give no reason as to why a certain character is too high or too low. They spent over 4 months on this list.

Browny

Smash Hater
I dare an SBRB member to give a reasonable and well thought out explanation as to why tourney results had such large influences for some characters (like falco) while Sonics tourneys counted for nothing.

Dont hurt yourselves trying to do the numbers

BTW im not that fussed over sonics placings, i wouldnt put him much higher anyway. Its just laughable that you can claim tourney results had an impact on this list and that low tier mains should prove why their character isnt bad through tournaments.

Umby

Smash Master
Mind if I join you? I can bring some cookies. Everyone loves cookies!

I agree with what you said in the v1.0 topic, that months down the line this topic will still be good for a laugh, but you have to admit, the first couple days are truly the best.
Especially for the people who couldn't WAIT for the list to come out, only to shit bricks at what they see.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
(like Sonic who has fairly good placing but isn't great, just has an insane number of mains for his level)
Nooooooooooooooo.

Sonic only has about a dozen GOOD mains, and only half of those place consistently.

He's doing well becuase he's been placing better in more important tourneys.

And we can end this silly "tournament=tier list" argument right now with this:

B Rank <Standard> 17.70%
10 :popo: Ice Climbers (7 top8, 2 top2, 4 wins) - 70.6 - 16
10 :rob: ROB (13 top8, 7 top4, 1 win) - 70.6 - 11
10 :sonic: Sonic (3 top8, 4 top4, 2 top2, 2 wins) - 58.8 - 18
10 :olimar: Olimar (9 top8, 6 top4, 4 top2) - 54.1 - 9

14 :peach: Peach (3 top8, 1 top4, 1 top2, 2 wins) - 42.5 - 13
14 :lucario: Lucario (5 top8, 1 top4, 3 top2, 1 win) - 40.3 - 8

16 :pikachu2: Pikachu (5 top8, 2 top4, 3 top2, 1 win) - 36.5 - 15
16 :gw: Mr. Game & Watch (10 top8, 4 top4, 2 wins) - 35.9 - 6
16 :zelda: Zelda/Sheik (5 top8, 3 top4, 1 top2, 1 win) - 34.8 - 20 :shiek:
Sonic should be B tier by this list, and G&W should be hovering above C tier.

Which clearly isn't the case.

The rankings list is flawed right now, anyways.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

I don't know RDK considering that Sonic has risen and has moved up at best 2 spots, I cant help but feel some curiosity as to how the tier list is made.
I mean if a character is showing that they are doing better then that should account for it.

Also illianex, Sonic is not a very popular character nationally. I think he is popular in the smaller pools but outside of those he doesn't see as much play as a number of characters. and we also know that popularity is never enough to contribute such a skew to results. Look at Link and Captain falcon in melee, they both so incredible amounts of play but their tournament results just didn't reflect the increase in mains.

So no, popularity has little to do with his tournament placings especially considering that when you look at the tournament placings, you don't have many different sonic users showing up either.

So even if MK was the least popular character, you would still see him winning alot of the time.
Hell i tihnk Snake is like 9th popularity wise but he is 2nd in tournament results.
good characters place well.

Barge

Nooooooooooooooo.

Sonic only has about a dozen GOOD mains, and only half of those place consistently.

He's doing well becuase he's been placing better in more important tourneys.

That's only a months worth of data =/

Red Arremer

Smash Legend

Thanks for this post. And... Your sig is awesome. <3

olimar should be higher.........
I love people like you. lmao

Why do you think he should be higher? Because then you can say "Look, I have the Xth best character as my main!"? Olimar is probably one of the few characters who are placed REALLY perfectly. I can't see him moving up more than those 8 positions he made now. Olimar is good, but he's never ever going to A Tier.

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
Mario should be higher at least a little. Personally I'm happy Mario went up.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Although Barge, Sonic has still placed highly on past lists.

He placed 18th in the Fall one, and 22nd (?) in the one before.

That =/= 7th worst character in the game.

As much as I don't really care about the list, I'm interested as to why Sonic has been put down there, even with his waaaaay above average tourney results, whilst Falco's recent rise in the Ranking's has put him 3rd.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
That's only a months worth of data =/
And even then, Sonic has been placing consistently at 18th for the past couple months, but he obviously isn't 16th in this tier list. And Falcon was ahead a few characters in the rankings, but as you can see, he's ahead of no one in this tier list.

The point is, if we're going by tourney results only, we'd have to ignore a large amount of what the characters have to offer aside from that, like matchups and move potential. Which the SBR have to take into account.

It's sad to see Wolf go down, but the SBR probably have their reasons.

risemix

Smash Apprentice
Yet you give no point as to why its hilariously bad.
You give no reason as to why a certain character is too high or too low. They spent over 4 months on this list.
Poor babies.

I'm not impressed.

I'm pretty convinced that nothing I can say here is going to change anything, but what is problematic to me:

1. This voting process was pretty outrageous. The fact that there was even a vote to begin with is stupid, but putting them on a list and averaging their scores? The ****ing Gideon Bible is more scientific than this.

2. Multiple characters who frequently have strong showings at tournaments are placing low because less people play those characters so there's less opportunity for them to place high. Do you know how many tier whores play Snake and R.O.B. (oh, I'm sorry, used to play R.O.B., he's only B Tier now lolololzzzz).

bigman40

Smash Master
Sounds like a john for not getting better with Fox.
You're right, but it's also not that hard since His playstyle (IMO, so no one else needs to jump on my ***) is pretty straightforward. If I take Melee seriously like I did when I got into competitive gaming, I'd be pretty set in about 3 months.

Barge

Im Curious as to what raised olimar so much....
Insane grabs and grab range, powerful and spammable smashes, great strings, one of the best campers, his recovery isn't as bad as it seems on paper, SA frames w/ whistle. Great matchups, most of his bad ones are only 6-4, only a few 3-7's. You can enter a tournament with him without needing a secondary, if only for a few characters. And great tournament placings.
He's a great character overall who was thought to be average at first.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Although Barge, Sonic has still placed highly on past lists.

He placed 18th in the Fall one, and 22nd (?) in the one before.

That =/= 7th worst character in the game.

As much as I don't really care about the list, I'm interested as to why Sonic has been put down there, even with his waaaaay above average tourney results, whilst Falco's recent rise in the Ranking's has put him 3rd.
Remember when Sonic was beating Falco? That was neat. XD

Fabian the Fastman

Smash Cadet
Insane grabs and grab range, powerful and spammable smashes, great strings, one of the best campers, his recovery isn't as bad as it seems on paper, SA frames w/ whistle. Great matchups, most of his bad ones are only 6-4, only a few 3-7's. You can enter a tournament with him without needing a secondary, if only for a few characters. And great tournament placings.
He's a great character overall who was thought to be average at first.
That's Kirby's story too (minus the recovery part) =O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom