• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official "RATE MY KIRBY" and "HELP WITH A MATCHUP" thread!

Is this thread useful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yyrd

Smash Cadet
Hello Zamus Forums!

I just picked up Zero Suit Samus a few days ago, but I am working intently on getting better. I really do love this character, because it's moveset is much more unique than the other characters I use.
Below are a few of my friend's videos that were made very recently.
Advice and criticism are welcome and appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIgPpNTdf9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIgPpNTdf9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orLRFjDJ74o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSCN2vj7GfI
The following is what I know I'm doing wrong:
  • Dair
  • Excessive B+Down
  • Missing Grabs
  • Using B+Over at too low of a %.
  • Not using enough fair and bair.
Help? :urg:
Contrary to popular belief, there are four videos in the series of brawls from last night.
I just thought they might be helpful in finding a more accurate representation of the brawlers we are.
Note: These are both secondaries for us. I've found out a lot more about this character in the 5 days that I've been playing her, and I hope to apply my most recent advice in our next video.

While I'm here, does anyone have tips on fighting a dodgy Kirby? :psycho:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
omg. The ending of that first match (posted by Yyrd) was so epic. I was like "lol ZSS committed suic- WAIT WHAT?"

To Pdiamond about that match: rolldodge->fsmash less. If anything, use uptilt instead. Fsmash was shielded just about every time.
ZSS is hard to combo after an uptilt, but try chasing her farther. You have the advantage in the air.
I hate to say it, but I saw that Final Cutter suicide coming on your second stock. Don't waste all your jumps like that. Kirby feels like he stays in the air forever, until you have 1-2 jumps left and then you're like "oh crap" and die.
Nice usage of ftilt...pummel when you grab.

Yyrd: use more laz0r. I only saw like, one. It's pretty annoying to deal with.
I know almost nothing about ZSS so I can't help much XD

edit: video 1 and 2 are the same exact thing. o_o

match 2 that Yyrd posted:
nice job with the first Dair->footstool ko.
If you are fighting a losing battle with the Power Suit pieces in the beginning, just duck them or something, and throw them overboard when you get a chance.
You had a few opportunities to Inhale->Starshot gimp ZSS when you or she were offstage. It looked like she didn't expect it, so give it a try. Pretty sure it owns ZSS.
2:53 Final Cutter got owned XD I rely on FC too much too, but beware cause it's extremely easy to punish.
@ Yyrd: yeah your Down B usage is a bit excessive. *shrug*

match 3: You use Final Cutter and rolldodge a bit too much.
You both need to punish each other more. When ZSS misses a grab or a downsmash (like at 5:55, you could have fsmashed for the KO)
or when you block Kirby's fsmash you can punish...and whenever he uses Final Cutter you can usually punish if you run toward him and shield the wave.
pdiamond: pummel when you grab >:o
I stopped watching the match a little after 6:00 because it was really boring @_@ too much avoiding each other and dodging around... :/

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Don't get grabbed.

No, seriously. It's the most important thing in the matchup.

Use Final Cutter as far away from them as possible, don't grab them when they are at low % and there are 2 ICs, don't Inhale unless you're going for an offstage gimp. Space with Back Air like a crazy person. Basically, try to separate them with spaced Bairs and Final Cutters, and then mercilessly attack Nana since she's pretty predictable trying to get back to Popo.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ack, I don't have enough time or comp access to watch/critique these matches, so here's a few general things:

-Guys, Asidoh doesn't really have an ego, he's just good. Me and that ROB both have the same general problem: Lack of human experience, which Asidoh doesn't have. + let's just let tourny wins speak: Oh wait, he has a tournament record and we don't. Guess that's that. Sorry, that's been bugging me since I read it >.<

Vs Ike: FC Spam to get him to approach, but make sure you're far enough that he can't reach you while you're in the air. Also, shielding his slower moves then punishing is effective. If you can, keep him in the air. His aerials may be strong, but they are slow, and you can deal quite a bit of damage to him before he ever gets an aerial off (and if he uses Nair off the edge he's pretty much dead.).
His recovery isn't actually that hard to gimp. QD can be countered by inhale, or, much easier, just jumping into it and airdodging. However, most Ikes probably won't try a QD recovery, since DJ + Aether will usually do the job. Here's the thing though: Aether is mostly a vertical recovery move, thus if you go offstage and hinder his efforts to return by double jumping, odds are he won't be able to get back (usually a single Bair will do the job). Supposing he is getting back, Asidoh's suggestions are good. I think you could also Dtilt him from the edge when he reaches his sword, though I haven't tried this myself. (I'll be facing a decent Ike by mid-Dec, though he doesn't have much human experience either, so I may be able to show visual applications of this advice.).

@ Suspect: Because Kirby mains are so awesome we need to give the opponent advice to give them the impression they're getting a fair match.

@ A1: ICs suck. Basically, you can't get grabbed. Dair is pretty good in this matchup since it seperates the two. Grabs are pretty much useless here until you KO Nana, and anything that gets you in grab range requires more caution. Oh, and NEVER use stone onstage while Nana is alive.
Also, just a warning, if the ICs doop walk, they will Desynch.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Hey guys so yeah now that it seems like I'll have time again for smash tournies I decided to come back and visit the kirby forums :)

Anyways I only read this page so far and all I gots to say isss....
Grabbing ice climbers is rapeee just always upthrow if they are both alive, especially on stages with platforms. It is great at separating them too. Also things like dair>fsmash can actually work on iceclimbers cause nana is slow at shielding usually. Oh and if you can predict when they will try to grab you you can inhale to beat their grab. But generally just avoid touching the ground with any amount of lag unless you are far away. Or maybe on a platform.

FD is a horrible stage against them btw. I like to ban it. Especially since any ice climbers player will probably consider it since everyone seems to like neutral stages XD
Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Delfino Plaza, and Halberd are all great stages against ice climbers. If there are any other stages that are legal that will disrupt chaingrabs then use those too.

Ok I'll probably catch up on the going ons in the kirby forums later... tired right now lol.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Need help facing MK please >_>
Here's some general advice, I'm sure fromundaman will have more:laugh:.

1. GET.THE.WHORENADO. This gives Kirby an ok approach, the ability to cancel mk's whorenado, and a way to actually punish someone not immediately next to you.

2. If he's a whorenado spammer, spam it back. Also applies if he's not a whorenado spammer:laugh:. Just don't use it too much.

3. Use the whorenado to recover (sort of obvious).

4. Use bair a lot. You should do this in most matches anyway, but especially in this match. MK has good priority.

5. If you think you can, use fc at a distance, though mk can rush in and punish the lag if you're not careful.

6. Don't use moves that make you vulnerable. He will somehow punish you.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
FD is a horrible stage against them btw. I like to ban it. Especially since any ice climbers player will probably consider it since everyone seems to like neutral stages XD
Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Delfino Plaza, and Halberd are all great stages against ice climbers. If there are any other stages that are legal that will disrupt chaingrabs then use those too.
I was thinking the same thing, I was gonna play an Ice Climber on ladder, and his record was 6-1, and all his previous opponents said he was really good and had a wtf chaingrab. So I knew Final Destination would be a bad idea, I chose Yoshi's Island and luckily got it, and won.
He counterpicked Delfino against me, and won. Not a bad stage though.
I counterpicked Brinstar, and won the set. I'll upload videos of how to trash Ice Climbers later. XD

Good things to use: Back air. Space it well so you can't be grabbed. Down air, unless you think he's prepared to shieldgrab it, then don't. Final Cutter, from a distance. Up air when they're in the air, as well as forward/back air. Jabs are very good.

The point is to separate them and gimp one of them as quickly as possible, or just rack up damage so you can KO one easily.

Here's some general advice, I'm sure fromundaman will have more:laugh:.

1. GET.THE.WHORENADO. This gives Kirby an ok approach, the ability to cancel mk's whorenado, and a way to actually punish someone not immediately next to you.
2. If he's a whorenado spammer, spam it back. Also applies if he's not a whorenado spammer:laugh:. Just don't use it too much.
3. Use the whorenado to recover (sort of obvious).
4. Use bair a lot. You should do this in most matches anyway, but especially in this match. MK has good priority.
5. If you think you can, use fc at a distance, though mk can rush in and punish the lag if you're not careful.
6. Don't use moves that make you vulnerable. He will somehow punish you.
1. Yes it's useful, BUT Meta Knight is, sadly enough, one of the few characters that can easily counter Tornado. A good Meta Knight will almost always DI up and punish you with Dair when you Tornado him. It's sad, really.
2. Maybe. I don't understand exactly how it works, but I heard "the fresher tornado has priority" even though it doesn't always seem to be the case. Fsmash beats Tornado though. Someone told me he can Bair Tornado, but I don't believe him since it never ever works for me @_@
3. Yes that's usually a good idea.
4. Yesh.
5. Maybe. FC sometimes beats Tornado. MK's speed makes it easy for him to shield and punish you during FC's huge ending lag.
6. Pretty much.

I'll try to find a post some guy made explaining how to beat MK as Kirby...it was in the "SBR's official position on Metaknight" thread, and he seemed to know what he's talking about.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
mk does counter tornado easily. He's probably THE best character at countering it. Honestly, I usually just spit meta knight out when I inhale him.

I dont understand how kirbys tornado vs mk's tornado works either. People say the fresher one wins or whatever, and that you add priority to tornado by tapping B, but when my tornado has met MK's, i have NEVER won. and I have done it quite a bit. Also, do kirby and MK's tornado side by side and youll notice MK's tornado is much bigger. I think MK's tornado is just better.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
mk does counter tornado easily. He's probably THE best character at countering it. Honestly, I usually just spit meta knight out when I inhale him.

I dont understand how kirbys tornado vs mk's tornado works either. People say the fresher one wins or whatever, and that you add priority to tornado by tapping B, but when my tornado has met MK's, i have NEVER won. and I have done it quite a bit. Also, do kirby and MK's tornado side by side and youll notice MK's tornado is much bigger. I think MK's tornado is just better.
I'm pretty sure it IS better, but mine definitely wins sometimes. It depends on your position, and start time. The move is too confusing to fully understand though @_@

I just beat Antizzle on the AiB ladder XD

I think I'm getting better... he was 11-1 before I beat him. ;) pretty sure he's one of the better/best MKs on the site.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I know that Kirby's whorenado is smaller than MK's, and I think I understand how it works. Every time I have used the whorenado and then MK has used it, mine gets countered. Whenever I use it to come in after my opponent has started to use the whorenado, I win. So I think when fighting eachother, the tornado used last will win. This also may mean that the whorenado loses priority over the duration of the move.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
lol final cutter is great when metaknight is gliding low to the ground or is moving away as a tornado.

General rule for final cutter: use it if you can hit them and they can't roll past it to punish you. Thats the safe zone for it. Obviously if they have a projectile they can use then you should avoid using final cutter. Though some projectiles you can counter with final cutter, like hitting the projectile with the blade to cancel it.

And main thing about metaknight is to always be prepared for a downsmash. SH dair out of shield is probably one of the best ways to punish him since it will hit him even if he tries to downsmash.

Play really safe against metaknight. You can't ever beat him by fighting him directly

T-nuts

Smash Ace
I just beat Antizzle on the AiB ladder XD

I think I'm getting better... he was 11-1 before I beat him. ;) pretty sure he's one of the better/best MKs on the site.
dude, nice!

yeah he finished 2nd on fall ladder. I think his main is dedede though. Still, I'm sure his mk is good too. its hard to be good at this game and have a bad mk. I mean, he WAS 11-1.

after this one month holiday ladder, I'm gonna start using kirby for real again for the winter ladder. Me and you gotta get to 2000 skill man, we gotta rep kirby. There were no kirby's in the top 64 of fall ladder, makes me sad :(

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
dude, nice!

yeah he finished 2nd on fall ladder. I think his main is dedede though. Still, I'm sure his mk is good too. its hard to be good at this game and have a bad mk. I mean, he WAS 11-1.

after this one month holiday ladder, I'm gonna start using kirby for real again for the winter ladder. Me and you gotta get to 2000 skill man, we gotta rep kirby. There were no kirby's in the top 64 of fall ladder, makes me sad :(
I was. They put me down as Ice Climbers, but I used both Kirby and Ice Climbers just about the same amount.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I dunno how you guys can stand wifi... mainly the people on ladder are soooooo annoying... I tried it for a little bit once then got sick of people calling me cheap and stuff like that.

Plus I hate having to adjust to the button lag =/ lol
But then I guess I'm just lucky cause I live in socal and have lots of smash events to go to XD suppose other areas not as much goes on (asdioh :( lol)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You get used to them. They're actually quite funny after a while.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yesh!

I hope to be top 32 for this one month one. Top 4 would be nice, but I don't see it happening. Kirby and I just aren't good enough to dominate the ladder that bad. Maybe if I used Snake or something, but Kirby doesn't benefit much from wifi @_@

I was. They put me down as Ice Climbers, but I used both Kirby and Ice Climbers just about the same amount.
yar

But then I guess I'm just lucky cause I live in socal and have lots of smash events to go to XD suppose other areas not as much goes on (asdioh :( lol)
T_T

I drive 3 hours to play offline for the first time in over two months and I come in 9th

I'm constantly improving though. Even just the past couple of days I've noticed I'm doing well against good players that would have beaten me 2 weeks ago.

Oh yeah, I still have to record that Ice Climbers thing huh.. I THINK I have the replay(s)

T-nuts

Smash Ace
Oh, my bad. Yeah, I figured you were just using ice climbers. Congrats!

I'm gonna try to do it with just kirby though.

For this 1 month holiday ladder though, I'm using just Link for the hell of it <_<

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I'm considering playing wifi some when I have time... not sure how much it helps though lol.
Just hope it won't train me to stop doing strings that work offline or start doing strings that won't work offline.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
I'm considering playing wifi some when I have time... not sure how much it helps though lol.
Just hope it won't train me to stop doing strings that work offline or start doing strings that won't work offline.
From my experience, it seems like playing offline hurts my online skill because im not used to the lag, but playing online doesnt really seem to hurt my offline skill much.

Kirby doesnt really benefit from wifi at all, whereas characters like wolf seem to benefit quite a bit. I dont really have any online moves that dont work offline, but I do have some offline moves that never seems to work online.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
lol at post above.^

I need help with Snake, don't have many problems with Marth anymore. Anyone mind giving me some tips or help?

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I need help with Snake, don't have many problems with Marth anymore. Anyone mind giving me some tips or help?
I don't have much experience against snakes, so here's my limited advice. It may not be completely correct, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

First off, learn the omnigay(that's a link). This takes away shield-dropping grenades. Second, use comboes that take advantage of his heaviness(i.e. dthrow->utilt->inhale/neutral a/fsmash). That last part of the combo might not work, again I don't have much snake experience. Finally, you know how if you grab snake while he's using the cypher and don't pummel him, and afterwards he can't use his up-b? It also works with inhale. Ask Fromundaman and Asidoh for more advice; they'll have it.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
For this 1 month holiday ladder though, I'm using just Link for the hell of it <_<
And beating my Toon Link with your Link >_>

If you have enough experience to know what works/doesn't work offline, then you'll be good as long as you remember.

Some examples of differences:
I think Kirby's dash attack is much more successful online.
I think dair->other moves is easier to do offline, because sometimes your opponent will appear on different sides of you, and you have to guess it on wifi sometimes. It's kinda hard to explain.
There are some other small differences, I'm sure, but if you get used to the small input delay, it's not THAT bad.

Could a final cutter disrupt a thunder from pika?
Yes? O_o
From my experience, it seems like playing offline hurts my online skill because im not used to the lag, but playing online doesnt really seem to hurt my offline skill much.

Kirby doesnt really benefit from wifi at all, whereas characters like wolf seem to benefit quite a bit. I dont really have any online moves that dont work offline, but I do have some offline moves that never seems to work online.
Yeah. I saw someone's "lag tier list" and I pretty much agreed. Kirby was not on that list.

Wolf, G&W, Snake, Meta Knight, and some others were.

Online brawl is terrible.
no u!
Yes it is.

But is it just me, or did Inui play like crap? I heard he was good...I also got the impression that he's cocky...

I'm uploading a video vs. Ice Climbers and vs. ROB right now..

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoY9OiX6l84
vs. Ice Climbers...watch carefully. I did get kind of lucky, but I was very careful to space myself so as to not get grabbed..I only got grabbed once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-lLxirfnKY
vs. ROB...he wastes his Up B too much, as TwilightKirby says ;]

T-nuts

Smash Ace
And beating my Toon Link with your Link >_>
Well technically it was 1-1, the captain falcon match was what pushed the set in my favor.

Your kirby really ***** in those 2 matches. your aggressiveness when you desync those ice climbers was impressive. and that rob really overestimated his recovery, haha.

you really do seem to have improved a lot since we last played dittos, though.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
If kirby could say anything other then... Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...... he would have said "get **** on"

But no seriously, we all play bad games. It's just when you play them against Chu its called getting *****.

Btw Bunny, thats the best pic ive ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom