• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Pokemon Trading and Battling Center (Friend Codes for Friend Safari here!)

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I just got on now. Anyone have a good team idea with Mega Charizard X for VGC? I can't seem to make a team around it.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Thanks for the shiny SB sharpedo i forgot where i placed the litwik since i went to check its ivs lol. As for (m) charizard X maybe a support pokemon.. charizard X isn't really as good for doubles as charizard Y since it's a bit restricted with moves that take advantage of tough claws.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mega Charizard X could be used as a Dragon Dance user, but its attack options that take advantage of the Tough Claws ability are pretty much limited to just Flare Blitz and Outrage in most cases. Thunder Punch could also be considered for some extra coverage, since you have no control over what Pokemon will be targeted by Outrage in a double/triple battle.

Alternatively, there is Dragon Claw, but Outrage tends to guarantee some quick KOs on anything that isn't a Steel-type or Fairy-type, especially after one Dragon Dance boost.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Here is a battle with me using megazard X WVQW-WWWW-WWW6-GWFQ. Even though it has tough claws, it could still use moves that don't get affected by it effectively, even after a DD. That is a team I put together randomly for fun, but I ended up liking it a lot. I'm still gonna change it, since there are lots of problems with the team, but I just want some suggestions on what is good with megazardX. My whole team is Charizard, Tyranitar, Chesnaught (definitely getting rid of it), Aegislash, Rotom W, and Amoongus.

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
I would say you should run Overheat or some special attack on Charizard so that you don't find yourself completely crippled by Intimidate. Be mindful that Charizard X has equal attacking stats, so Charizard X doesn't mean that it's Physical Charizard X.

On face value, I can't see much wrong with the team. Just don't run all Physical attackers as Intimidate will ruin you. I don't know what kind of Chesnaught you're running, but I do agree that it probably needs to be swapped.

I do think Chesnaught in general has interesting options though; access to Quick Guard, immunity to Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb, resistance to the common spread moves. Were you running Fire/Grass Pledge?

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Three questions. If I run overheat on it, what move set would you recommend. Also, what nature since I have a nature that takes away from Special attack? Would an overheat Charizard work well with no investment?

I have three physical and three special attackers. Charmander, Tyranitar, and Chesnaught for physical, and Aegislash, Rotom-W, and Amoongus for special. My Chesnaught set is S shield, Leech seed, Seed bomb, and Hammer arm. with max HP/Def.

I actually did not know it had quick guard (would've been very useful). No, I wasn't running Fire/Grass pledge. I actually forgot that the pledges existed due to the lack of seeing it. Would the pledge effects disappear if the opposing player switches out?

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
You could actually stick with a -SpA nature if you're running Overheat or another special attack Fire move; You'd need Dragon Claw for opposing Dragons and for things that resist your STAB Fire move. Might as well make use of those Tough Claws. Since you're running DDance, your fourth move depends on what you feel you need more.

Amoongus isn't really an attacker; It's more of a support role with Spore and Rage Powder.

Pledge effects are pretty much like weather effects, I think; Once they're out there, they're out there regardless of who switches in and out.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It took me 5 eggs to breed a 6IV Adamant Aron. However, I just read a Smogon analysis that says Aggron should be Relaxed...should I go back to breeding to get a Relaxed one? Also, if I do, should I try to get 31 speed or is it better slower?
Edit: Since Relaxed is a -Speed nature, would I be trying for a 0 in Speed or just any speed?

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Nah Adamant Mega Aggron with Autotomize is crazy, just do that.

Speaking of which, I barely won a match against my friend because my +Speed Nature 31 IV+EV Scarf'd Nidoking outsped an Adamant Automize MAggron by 1 Speed (it didnt have any EV investment in Speed).

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Anyone have a largest( auto correct switched it. You know volcornas pre evolution) safari, i really need it,

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nah Adamant Mega Aggron with Autotomize is crazy, just do that.
What's even crazier is having your team get wiped out, all because of a level 1 Aron that you can't even get past. My own Trick Room team fell apart, all thanks to it, and by the time it was gone, my team was in no position to deal with my opponent's final Pokemon. Needless to say, I had to forfeit the match in the end.

While I can understand why a level 1 Aron can be brutal when used right, it still seems like a very cheap way to win a battle. Why the free battles don't set every Pokemon to level 50 is beyond me, since that would surely put those tactics in check.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
You could actually stick with a -SpA nature if you're running Overheat or another special attack Fire move; You'd need Dragon Claw for opposing Dragons and for things that resist your STAB Fire move. Might as well make use of those Tough Claws. Since you're running DDance, your fourth move depends on what you feel you need more.

Amoongus isn't really an attacker; It's more of a support role with Spore and Rage Powder.

Pledge effects are pretty much like weather effects, I think; Once they're out there, they're out there regardless of who switches in and out.
Thanks. This helped me with a few ideas to use. I just need to switch some move sets around now.
EDIT: I actually tried out a new moveset for charizard and chesnaught on showdown and I haven't lost yet. I actually use chesnaught way more now due to quick guard. I guess I didn't have to change who was on my team afterall. Just what each Pokemon in my team can do. Plus, fire grass pledge helps a lot in doubles.
What's even crazier is having your team get wiped out, all because of a level 1 Aron that you can't even get past. My own Trick Room team fell apart, all thanks to it, and by the time it was gone, my team was in no position to deal with my opponent's final Pokemon. Needless to say, I had to forfeit the match in the end.

While I can understand why a level 1 Aron can be brutal when used right, it still seems like a very cheap way to win a battle. Why the free battles don't set every Pokemon to level 50 is beyond me, since that would surely put those tactics in check.
What did the aron use? I want to try it out.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
That's a really smart idea. I thought it would be sturdy with gyro ball and shell bell, but I don't think that would've worked with its low attack. I'm not even sure if it can learn gyro ball.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It was probably an endeavor sturdy sandstorm shell bell Aron.. FEAR Aron...
Not quite. The Aron that I've fought had the Berry Juice, which meant that you had to score up to three hits to KO it without Mold Breaker. It never used Sandstorm either, since this was a triple battle that I was doing.

That's a really smart idea. I thought it would be sturdy with gyro ball and shell bell, but I don't think that would've worked with its low attack. I'm not even sure if it can learn gyro ball.
Aron can't learn Gyro Ball, and at level 1, it wouldn't be able to get anywhere with that attack at all.

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Endeavor Aron isn't cheap; you just have to be prepared for it is all. There are quite a few things that will render it vulnerable/useless, but the main thing is to not let Trick Room go up. It's much harder to deal with when it has the speed advantage.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Endeavor Aron isn't cheap; you just have to be prepared for it is all. There are quite a few things that will render it vulnerable/useless, but the main thing is to not let Trick Room go up. It's much harder to deal with when it has the speed advantage.
Yeah the downside was that my team was way too Trick Room reliant, since without Trick Room, they would end up getting clobbered by the faster Pokemon. You can't counter Aron without taking into account its allies after all.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Yeah the downside was that my team was way too Trick Room reliant, since without Trick Room, they would end up getting clobbered by the faster Pokemon. You can't counter Aron without taking into account its allies after all.
I'm starting to work on a triple battle team. when i finish it maybe we could have a battle..

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Doesn't quick guard protect against priority moves, because when I used quick guard, fake out went first still.

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Doesn't quick guard protect against priority moves, because when I used quick guard, fake out went first still.
Quick Guard and Fake Out are on the same priority, so whoever is fastest gets their move out first.

That's what you have Team Preview for though; you have the time to look through your opponent's team and plan for what's to come if you can.

Aron is really not something you can leave alone; it can take down your team if you don't have a way handle its gimmick and minimize what it can do. That said though, its gimmick is not new by any means.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Oh okay then. That kinda ruined my plan of quick guarding to protect from fake out. Is meowstic a good quick guard Pokemon? With prankster, it shouldn't have a problem with fake out, but I'm not sure how well it would work.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I decided to try out the FEAR Aron myself, and it wasn't as easy to utilize as it looks. Anyway, I have two new battle videos registered, with the FEAR Aron at least trying to pull off something before falling.

YC5G-WWWW-WWW6-GNF6

B9ZG-WWWW-WWW6-GNEK

Note: The first video has Aron holding the Shell Bell, while the second video has Aron holding the Berry Juice.

I'm starting to work on a triple battle team. when i finish it maybe we could have a battle..
That may be rather tricky, since most of the Pokemon the I use for the battle facilities and online matches are stored away in my Pokemon Bank account.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
None of the pokemon have been completed yet with only one finished ev training so it's going to take a while for me to complete my team.. Also BaPr if your going to use Meowstic i have one with Trick, Barrier, yawn, and assist that i could breed..

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
None of the pokemon have been completed yet with only one finished ev training so it's going to take a while for me to complete my team..
You can take your time making your team. Just be aware that a lot of my Pokemon don't use EV spreads that are considered competitive; I'm not really into competitive battling, as pretty much all of my online matches are free battles.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
So I was messing around with the Ubers battles in Showdown and this happened
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers-104565557
BTW, I don't actually play Ubers competitively. I just make that team for fun and there is so much wrong with it (stealth rock, spikes, burn, sleep etc.)

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Arceus can learn ES? Gotta make sure I keep smeargle alive for that then (it has spiky shield to deal with priority users).

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Arceus can learn ES? Gotta make sure I keep smeargle alive for that then (it has spiky shield to deal with priority users).
Yep. Extreme Killer Arceus is known for Swords Dance and ExtremeSpeed combo.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
And I've just finished my team. I'll be able to battle tomorrow if anyone has a team that can be used for triples.. ggs msg that team was coming off a 5-1 in the battle spot (ranked). Didn't really care about that uxie and didn't mind you using m-cario lol. I was so close to taking dusclops out. I thought heat wave (with sun) and dark pulse would have been enough to take it out before it used TR but i was wrong..

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Fluttershy Fluttershy : It was a good pleasure to battle your team. You did cream my first team, but at least my Trick Room team made up for the first loss. Anyway, good luck finding other players for trying out your team, because it does have a good deal of benefits when used correctly.

Edit: I don't know how well mock battles work with link battles, but you can always refer to the battle video ID below if you want to plan a Trick Room counter strategy in the future.

DAXG-WWWW-WWW6-HPSJ

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I was planning on using fake out to stop it but ghosts like dusclops messes it up might just have to forgo fake out and use fling in that situation..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was planning on using fake out to stop it but ghosts like dusclops messes it up might just have to forgo fake out and use fling in that situation..
Yeah the main flaw with most Trick Room users is that they hate Ghost-type and Dark-type attacks. I was fortunate that my Dusclops survived long enough to get Trick Room and Gravity up, since if your Hydreigon's Dark Pulse did cause it to flinch, I would've been in big trouble. I also figured that I had to be unpredictable when dealing with Ally Switch, which was why I had Reuniclus use Energy Ball over Psychic when delivering the final blow.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
i was hoping you weren't going to think i was going to ally switch and used psychic and save one of my pokemon from being koed since i haven't used it as much..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes, you just have to think like your opponent.

Anyway, I have a new Trick Room user in my arsenal, which is a Porygon2. I may also raise a Trick Room Carbink, though it does have some rather inconvenient weaknesses, which does include a double weakness against Steel-type attacks.

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Steel isn't a common attacking type; only the likes of those who get STAB off of their Steel-type moves will be caught using it.

That said, I do wish Carbink wasn't merely a Fairy Shuckle with fewer options.

As I say this though, I realize that while it has mostly support options, it at least has offenses that can be helped, unlike Shuckle's 10 base stats. A proper strategy and support could turn that thing into a monster.

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Doesn't help official formats since all event Pokes are banned.

All the same, it is what Carbink probably wishes it was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom