• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Exetus

Smash Cadet
You're doing it wrong. You've got two whole days to study later. Must smash and order pizza.
My final is tomorrow (today, Friday, 1:00-4:00). Fun stuff.

I check the OGS forum daily. As for the player finder thing, I'm just consistently too lazy to actually do it (I mean, I have to make it all graphicy and pretty and stuff!) Not that I really play much beyond Melee right now anyways. Soon to hopefully pick up BlazBlue though.

How is WoW nowadays? I haven't really played for an extended amount of time since pre-BC, but I do have a few lvl 70s/80s that I can start playing again.

I know SHDL isn't too useful, but sometimes I get into the zone and pull them off consistently for a minute or so and it's just the greatest feeling in the world for me. Besides, being able to slide my thumb from y to B that fast will help with better shine OOS.

Anonalbe

Smash Cadet
Phil, do you need my setup (Wii + game) for tomorrow? If not, I'll let hamerschlag kids use it. Also, if needed, I might be able to get a few people together to order Vocelli's with excess DineXtra. No promises though (well, I could probably spend about $10...)

I really should be studying for my chemistry final tomorrow.

I should also get good at SHDL and other things that let me laser camp with Fox.

Guess which one is higher on my priority list? (studying =/)
OGS only has two setups, so yeah setup+games would be nice D: we have a total of 6 tvs + one in the lounge.

Free parking starts 5P.M. in the Morewood parking lot.

Also, where exactly is this room you reserved?
Room reservation is from 4pm till whenever at the West Wing tv lounge that has the view of the field. Still waiting on confirmation... this lady apparently only checks her email at 8 in the morning.

Raziel744

Smash Apprentice
Ok, Louie and I will be there around 2:30 or 3. Is there anyone's number that I could have for when I get horribly lost and panic?

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Which building should I be at, I'll be there around 5.

My head is about to explode from raging so hard...Spike TV has some Videogame awards...****ing calling shooters revolutionary because of graphics....Games suck nowadays...
We certainly have seen better days. Snes is still by far the best system, followed by melee (it counts as its own system. It's that good.) and then N64.

All of the new systems are actually god-awful in retrospect, and their games are all the same.

Time for a video game renaissance.

Anonalbe

Smash Cadet
Ok, Louie and I will be there around 2:30 or 3. Is there anyone's number that I could have for when I get horribly lost and panic?
So like I said, room reservation that I have is at 4. So until then, I figure you can give Boney(milkmanjb) a call and hang at his place playing some friendlies.

Sadly, I still haven't received a confirmation about the room even though it's been over 30 hours. I think it's safe to assume she said yes since she asked me what I was using the place for after I told her the time frame I wanted. So I hope I'll know for sure in the next 3 hours... I'll be setting the place up anyways if she doesn't give me a reply.

Vyke

Smash Champion
We certainly have seen better days. Snes is still by far the best system, followed by melee (it counts as its own system. It's that good.) and then N64.

All of the new systems are actually god-awful in retrospect, and their games are all the same.

Time for a video game renaissance.
Honestly, I'd have to disagree with the new system quip and agree with the first sentence. The new systems are hardly god-awful in any aspect; they are technological marvels. Rather than look at the systems for blame, lets try and look at the developers of new games instead. While it might seem like there's a lot less heart and soul in games today, that could also be because they just aren't the games we'd like to see.

There are some obvious fool's gold out there. While going to school at PCI I've learned a lot more than I really thought I would about business. People choose careers or jobs for different reasons, some love it, some hate it, and some just don't care eitherway. But the major theme is of course, money. I'm taught to enjoy what I do, but what I do isn't a dime-a-dozen. What I do cook can be found in many places, but how I cook can only be emulated in words, not feeling. I think that deserves at least a monetary sum of money in exchange.

I think that a lot of people working on games these days have more of a passion, because they know that the video game industry is only growing. There is only more money to be made, and therefore more way to implement their ideas. Some are just greedy *******s, obviously. A lot of them are boring to us only because back in the day, developers had less to work with, so in turn they made up for it with fantastic ideas. The kind of ideas that were so unprecendented that many couldn't help but emulate them.

I'm running off on a tangent here, my thoughts are all in a tangle, and nobody probably read up to this point. I guess a summary would be: The industry will sell and make what the fan-base reacts positively to. I just think a lot of games ( as well as systems) are reviewed wrongly, or seen in one aspect when others are just as extroidinary, but overlooked.

Just like Melee.

Rose

Smash Journeyman
The industry will sell and make what the fan-base reacts positively to.
Which is exactly why there are innumerable terrible FPSs and wii/ds shovelware.

HEY ANONALBE where the **** is this going down? Is it in a student union building? Where can we park? Need details, pm me a phone number or something. It is too dayum cold out to risk any time wandering around.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
The name of the building is West Wing. It's right next to the football field. The room is on the first floor.

You can park in the Morewood Gardens lot for free after 5. That's about all I know about parking.

Anonalbe

Smash Cadet
So if the room's not ready when other people are, come on over to my place. Look for the Sigma Nu (ΣΝ) house. Address is 1055 Morewood Ave. I'm not sure about the parking situation. The lot across the street is free but only after 4:30 or something (could be different now that classes have ended). That's P12 on this map (I'm 45. The other building that Phil's trying to get is West Wing, 65). Here's the parking website.
I'll have the room open at 4pm as originally planned. The parking lot he's talking about is free starting at 5pm. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll pm you my number too.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Ninety percent of videogames are crud. But that's because ninety percent of everything is crud.

Of course developers will make ****ty games, just buy the good ones =)

On PS2, if you haven't already, try out Odin Sphere, Shadow of the Colossus, and Okami.

On Wii there's also Okami, and I'm also looking into Muramasa: The Demon Blade which looks amazing.

PS3 I love BlazBlue, too bad I can't play online here. Other than that, LittleBig Planet is pretty amazing. Haven't played much else, though.

The 360, I have no clue.

Just a few examples but the games I listed are awesome :D

gouda

Smash Journeyman
CABC: Ratchet & Clank sony franchise is great.
anyone going to CMU tonight from DUQ's campus? working till five in the nights spot, text id like a ride >.>

Nakamaru

Smash Master
muramasa is absolutely amazing. Very few complaints, and those that i have are just nitpicking really. Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3 is really good. Assassin's Creed II is really good and i have no complaints about that game. Great games exists in the clutter of crap. You just have to search really hard to find them, but that makes them all the better once you do find them.

gouda

Smash Journeyman
Anyone driving to CMU from Duq tonight? I'm in the night spot 'till 5 and I'd sure suck ***** for a ride >.> 4127227606

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Yes, it's in Oakland. 5000 Forbes Ave. i.e. get off at the Morewood Ave. stop if you're taking the bus. We're the ones with the giant ugly pole sticking out of the ground.

Engel

Smash Journeyman
Taki was in grand finals when I left waiting to play the winner of Naka and Aaron... after them all I remember is

4. Vudu
5. CABC
5. TSK

good games to all I played.... some of those matches were pretty ridiculous >_<

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Had a lot of fun tonight guys, glad CMU could host to pay back Duquesne for some of its hospitality. Anyway, I'm leaving for home on Tuesday, but if anyone wants to Smash before then, just contact me somehow.

Alas, I am entirely exhausted, so I bid you all a fond good night.

Illos

Smash Apprentice
Good **** to everyone at CMU today. I haven't been to Duquesne in a while so I haven't played most of you recently. I was the guy who went by '7' in the bracket.

Exetus

Smash Cadet
Taki was first. Lake was second. Naka third, I believe.

Phil recorded finals. We lost brackets though.

Good games to those who came to CMU.

-Ting

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Good stuff, everyone. 12 straight hours of smash, 7 setups, projector, recording... Mad hardcore.

The recorded sets were pretty sweet. Can't wait to see them again.

Mad props to Anonalbe for getting the room and going above and beyond the call of duty.

Anonalbe

Smash Cadet
I'll get the matches split and uploaded when I can >_< It'll be done by Sunday night for sure, but I'll try to get most of it finished tomorrow.

Also, did anyone pick up a controller with blue tape on the bottom? I recall someone asking if they were allowed to just take the controller sitting on the table during the start of the tourney, but it went missing by the end of the day. So let me know if anyone finds or has my controller.

And good **** guys. Way to step it up!

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
Shoutout to everyone who came out to CMU tonight. There were a ton more people then I expected to show up. 30 people give or take from an event scheduled the day before? Good Sht. I would try to name names of people I played and/or met, but there were too many. Its good to see that the Pittsburgh Melee scene is so strong. Hopefully we can pull this off again next semester. Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to all.

Special thanks to Phil (Anonalbe) for reserving the room, getting together so many TV's and setups, and recording matches on such short notice.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
This even was perfect. It could not have gone better. Anonalbe thanks a ton for putting this together and getting us a kick *** place to smash. DickChang, we ***** in teams.

I honestly think hosting something like this more often would be good. I was skeptical of the whole $1 tournament thing, but i really liked it. I am going pass out now.

I can't wait to watch the vids again.

D20

Smash Lord
I got the Azure Whelpling!!! Anyhow, I just stated leveling my Priest... anyone who wants to level a character should join in! Try to be around level 15-18 by around Thursday so we can run Deadmines or something.

Server - Lightning's Blade
My Character - Prynne
My Alternate - Pontellier
Faction - Alliance

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Darn, i doubt i'll be able to join you guys then lol. I won't be able to start til like, sat/sun next week...

That tourney was way more fun than RoM2 or SPOC8 were in my opinion. I really hope we can do it more often lol.

Good **** to TSK, Jacob, Naka, Aaron, and Taki. You all played real freaking well in the matches I saw.

Everyone's getting way better really fast, it's awesome to see. Love how we had new people, too; melee will never die!

I'm really proud of Pittsburgh =)

Thanks to everyone for cheering me on. And Jacob, those sets were crazy fun lol. Sorry for taking you to Mute City xD

Also, sorry to the guys I walked home with for bragging a bit. I didn't mean it like that. It was just nice to actually win for once after playing the game competitively since 2004.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
I would but I like to be honest. I went Marth on that one.

I actually went Marth for all but 5 of my tourney matches. I went Young Link, Peach, Falco twice, and Fox once lol. My tech skill was REALLY not cutting it for spacies.

Anonalbe

Smash Cadet
we need to do a doubles tourney next time D:

you can find my vids here: http://www.youtube.com/anonalbe

Bad news: Apparently, the audio cables were not plugged in well enough, so every video before Naka and Vudu's match in semi-finals of losers does not have sound. It was fixed when the cables were unplugged after taki and vudu's match.

So the following matches do not have audio:
Anon vs Taki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GGb5tAcitM
Taki vs Vudu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_sNyItNbwM
Naka vs Lake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gR9a7I9n1s

The later matches do have audio:
Naka vs Vudu(Semi-finals in losers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL3ciYgvPhQ
Taki vs Lake(Winners finals): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpWjqWO1MpA
Naka vs Lake(Losers finals): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3dRU4eob8g
Taki vs Lake(Grand Finals 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSbu7Lrw39w
Taki vs Lake(Grand Finals 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03lw_HMrXhA

Again, let me know if anyone finds a controller with blue tape on the backside. Losing a controller sucks these days.

Top Bottom