• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Anyone playing smash tomorrow? If so where/what time? I'm slowly getting back into this game. I can bring a setup sans TV.

-Donnie

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
It's from Fire Emblem. Also, just let me know, I'll try to be there. Just getting over a cold. If it's teams though, I'll have to find a teammate there. My buddy works tonight.

D

Deleted member

i'm in pittsburgh and i legit have no idea how you're supposed to drive on some of these hills.

it's really bad.

D

Deleted member

visiting friends in the spring hill district.

i guess we're going bar hopping tomorrow night

i'd be down to hang out or whatever so text me if something is up

571 344 5243

thanks for having me over carroll. it was a good time, i hope you had fun too.

D

Deleted member

can you give me the link of the twitch account you guys play on so i can watch it occasionally? also, when do you usually stream playing?

Vyke

Smash Champion
Marc and Bearsfandude. Can I have yer Friend Codes for X/Y? Mine is 3325-2603-7603

Gonna start breeding and junk soon.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Sorry I haven't posted in months. I was waiting to use my 1000th post. I was torn on who I was going to share it with. I ended up going with NC since it's been 3 years. Y'all are still my homies though; you can have post #1,001. There's some stuff I wanted to share with you though. Memories of my time in Pittsburgh.

Sorry I haven't made it out to any east coast majors this year. As soon as I bring in some money to spare, I'll be back. Keep going to things, I'll see you there.

Ambix

Smash Ace
hey sweet. yeah i'm looking to go to apex.

Gonna ask them if i can have off of work on thursday.

Sorry i haven't been on lately......I work swingshift now which is usually 7 pm to 3 AM.

Also, anyone want to smash this sunday?

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
I just played Melee online for the first time last night; it was pretty great. I definitely want to play online against any of you sometime. Hit me up.

I didn't see anybody on stream; did anybody go to ROM?

A-Laon

Smash Master
There was a time when the highlight of each week was walking out of the Duquesne Union’s stairwell and looking through the Nitespot’s window at the gathering of smashers not yet aware of my arrival—a quiet moment of excitement, and gratitude, before making my presence known and joining in on the action.

There were friends and their friends’ friends; spacie mains and the occasional Game n’ Watch; gay-ass chain grabs and recoveries that sucked balls; Smasher of the Day certificates and free food; and, lest we forget, big servings of Hot Cheddar and a very fast fish.

There were also Lion King quotes and entire Spongebob script recitals; WoW talk which gave way to LoL hype; rap battles punctuated by Taki’s complaints; and Taki’s complaints punctuated by more of Taki’s complaints.

There was also that Colver trip that Taki made us five hours late to.

There was an endless stream of new faces and new challenges; tier debates and metagame shifts; out-of-state tournies and homegrown smashfests; and a hell of a lot of road trips accompanied by a hideous lack of sleep.

There were hissyfits over the gayness of each character; there was tension surrounding how rankings should work; there were arguments over mere misunderstandings; and there was a community so damn fun that it sustained our comradery throughout all of it.

But more prevalent than probably anything, and truly impossible to appreciate at the time, there was a naiveté and a blissfulness that could only ever be achieved then. It was that genuine feeling, subconcious or not, that Smash might just be the greatest damn thing in the world, and, just maybe, that we could become one of the best of the best. Whether or not it was ever expressed aloud, it was a belief that manifested itself in our fingers, flowed through our controllers, and onto the screen where our delightfully impossible dreams played out. No matter how many times we may have rolled up off of the ledge and directly into a tipper from that kid down the hall who knows no other move, that dream of greatness was still compelling. It both inspired us, and united us.

As is necessary, however, dreams give way to reality, priorities change, times change, and people change. Fittingly, the Pittsburgh Smash community has changed, but I have no interest in mourning the losses. Really, it’s just the same old “coming of age” story that’s been told forever, except ours got to include Super Smash Bros., which I have to assume is a hell of a lot more fun than, say, solitary trips through the desert.

The result of all this is my complete and utter satisfaction with everything that has happened, good or bad, by my own doing or dumb luck’s. Despite no further desire to play Smash or chase that particular dream again, I remain unendingly grateful that I got to spend literally a third of my life being a part of it. I don’t glorify the past nor pine for it – I’m just so glad that I got to have it.

And I thank you all for that.

Except Taki. **** you Taki.

Top Bottom